Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Safety Razors

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,059 ✭✭✭MediaTank

Amalgam wrote: »
    I've tried Dorco, I now know why you can pick up a 100 for less than ten pounds sterling..

That's exactly why.

Besides the 3Ts and St James which have all been discussed before. Have you guys tried any D.R. Harris or Cyril R. Salter creams?

I tried Salter Sublime Citrus this morning for the first time in a long time. Great, slick, lubricating lather, I'll be using it tomorrow.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 219 ✭✭dbar

Speaking of blades, whats your current favourite?
    Mine is Gillette 7 O' Clock Sharp - the yellow pack. I find it really smooth and sharp without the removal of a layer of skin that the feathers do to me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,817 ✭✭✭✭Dord

Gonna get a nice bonus this month so I'm gonna treat myself and finally "make the switch". :o In a few weeks tho... :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 16,624 ✭✭✭✭Fajitas!

All the more time to watch Mantic's vids a few times over :)

• Advertisement

Dord wrote: »
    Gonna get a nice bonus this month so I'm gonna treat myself and finally "make the switch". :o In a few weeks tho... :pac:

Can I have your job? :D:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,330 ✭✭✭Gran Hermano

MediaTank wrote: »
    Besides the 3Ts and St James which have all been discussed before. Have you guys tried any D.R. Harris or Cyril R. Salter creams?

I tried Salter Sublime Citrus this morning for the first time in a long time. Great, slick, lubricating lather, I'll be using it tomorrow.

I have the Saint Charles Shave Menthol cream and I also have a tub of
    that Sublime Citrus I picked up last month from traditionalshaving.co.uk.
    The Saint Charles is good for a menthol fix but I haven't opened the
    Cyril R Salter one yet, am just waiting to finish off the end of a TOBs
    avocado.

The Italian P160 soap is still one of my current favourites for lathering.

Has anyone else tried Connaught's own brand creams, they're as good as
    the 3 Ts.

dbar wrote: »
    Speaking of blades, whats your current favourite?
    Mine is Gillette 7 O' Clock Sharp - the yellow pack. I find it really smooth and sharp without the removal of a layer of skin that the feathers do to me.

I've started buying blades in bulk, 100 of each brand at a time.
    So far I've stocked up on IP Crystals, Red Personnas,
    the Yellow Russian Gillettes, Astra Keramiks, Permasharps,
    Super Iridiums and I just ordered some Shark blades from Melyus.
    (That should mean I have enough blades for almost 6 years :eek:).

The Permasharp Super blades are some of the more interesting blades I've tried lately. Very sharp but very smooth.

I still don't like Derby or Feather blades!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,817 ✭✭✭✭Dord

Can I have your job? :D:D

Feck off! :p:D

Dord wrote: »
    Feck off! :p:D
    Aw go on.. :p

• Registered Users Posts: 6,829 ✭✭✭CrowdedHouse

I have a tube of DR Harris Arlington,a seller on B&B threw it in with a brush I bought.
    It's a high quality cream all right, nice slick good lather but I'm not so sure about the scent,kind of reminds me of my late Mothers geraniums....
    It's also seems to be premium priced too,not sure if it's worth the extra over,say,TOBS.

I have a tub of that Cyril R Salter Citrus but haven't got around to it yet.
    I hope creams don't go off too quick as I've 'acquired' quite a few :pac:...'twill take an age to get through them all

Seven Worlds will Collide

• Advertisement

I hope creams don't go off too quick as I've 'acquired' quite a few :pac:...'twill take an age to get through them all

Have a look at the labels, they normally show a tub symbol with something like 12M where 12 is the number of months it's good for once opened. I've seen them vary from 6 months to three years.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭Amalgam

I haven't tried them, but the colouring in the Cyril R. Salter creams looks sublime. They do a Rose I think, and the pictures look gorgeous. Dessert quality.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,524 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

i just bought my first safety razor .should be delivered during the week.I have a question for ye lads,can anyone recommend a good shaving brush?I dont wanna spend silly money on it i just want a decent brush.BTW i bought proraso soap seems to highly regarded here

• Registered Users Posts: 6,829 ✭✭✭CrowdedHouse

Tesco have a Wilkinson Sword brush for around a fiver,probably wouldn't win any awards but would get you going.

www.shaving.ie have the well regarded Omega boar brushes on offer for €9.99 atm

For a reasonably priced badger I like the Kent BK 2 (Around 25 sterling at shaving-shack.com) not the softest on the face but very well made,works good with soaps and creams.

Seven Worlds will Collide

yabadabado wrote: »
    i just bought my first safety razor .should be delivered during the week.I have a question for ye lads,can anyone recommend a good shaving brush?I dont wanna spend silly money on it i just want a decent brush.BTW i bought proraso soap seems to highly regarded here

Check the Semogue brushes on vintagescent.com the boar brushes work great with the Italian soaps.

Using a Williams shaving soap these past few days. I had a hideous first shave, spotty around the mouth. One thing you understand quickly is the need to rinse the soap off the skin afterwards, less tolerant than a cream.

The upside of a soap is you could get away with just two passes with some judicious strokes. It is merciless on the underside of the chin, a very 'clean' cut feeling after.

This soap needs hot water to lather properly, tepid or just plain warm will not do.

Would I choose this over a well tried cream? No.. but I see no harm from taking a different path once in a while, when it comes to shaving, just to say I've been there..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,293 ✭✭✭StealthRolex

My top two at the moment are Musgo Real and Woodys shampoo bar.

I've also tried the TOBS Jermyn Street Collection for sensitive skin. I love the scent but it seems to dry out too quickly. A dab of Musgo in the mix helps keep the moisture in.

Woodys? What can I say - the all over solution and a perfect no spill travel kit.
    Shower, Shampoo and Shave all in one.

StealthRolex, is it Woody's, as a brand? I'm Googling, but have trouble pinning it down.

Hi Amalgam,

it's "Woody's Meat & Potatoes Soap Bar"

http://www.woodysgrooming.com/

The Dutch guy has it as well as their regular shampoo and conditioner - they've gotten some good reviews too

Scent is citrus - lather is, well, just short of excellent whether on the head, body or the smig.

Think Dove but For Men

I stumbled across that, I couldn't believe it when I saw it, the soap even seems to come packed like meat would be, on a styrofoam tray.. that's why I asked.

10491058.jpg

• Advertisement

It looks a bit strange alright but I can't recommend it highly enough.

I knew such products existed from years back and had heard Redken used to produce one when I took a FAS course straight after uni during the last recession. In addition to the straight C&G course work we had "keyboard skills" and "Grooming class".
    I wonder what it means when FAS thinks they need to teach graduates how to wash and shave? I won't mention their laundry.

Anyway, set about hunting down the Redken shampoo\shave soap for my travel kit. No joy.

Found the Woody's bar in Paul's shop and not only is there a lump in the travel kit, it's also part of my regular rotation. I recently received a TOBS Sandlewood shave stick and while it's nice the Woody's stomps all over it.

Find of the year for me.

I rather like this.. Edwin Jagger DE87

wpd637bb86.png

I have money left on a 3v.ie. Urge to try one out. I think it is the latest Mühle razor head. Connaught Shaving say: *New Edwin Jagger Head* ..but from reading, my understanding is that Edwin Jagger = Mühle head.

http://www.connaughtshaving.com/harrisrazor.html

Cheap enough. Under twenty sterling. Pity about the Harris logo, I'd prefer a plain handle.

I'm pretty sure Edwin Jagger head = Edwin Jagger head. The are based in Sheffield after all.

Probably just a recent changeover. Judging from various forums, I got the feeling, that Harris model was a less expensive way of getting a safety razor with the 'new' Mühle razor head.

Nice looking razor Amalgam, I was getting tempted myself to try something new on the DE razor side - a change from the Merkurs and old Gillettes. The Muhle R89 is on my 'to get' list now.

I had my first shave with a new blade last night, the Shark brand.
    These have a nice mix of sharpness and smoothness, different to the Israeli or Russian made blades. Delivery from melyus.com was only a few days and he's a great bloke at keeping you posted on order status.

Has anyone here tried the Shark or Permasharp brands?

The Muhle R89 is on my 'to get' list now.

Shaving.ie, nice price, cheaper than Knights, hell.. cheaper than Mühle's RRP. 30 euro from the Mühle website, with 10 euro P&P. That's the 'new' head I see people going on about.

Maybe it is the smooth looking handle, but it looks and feels so 'dinky', even compared to a Merkur HD. I was taken aback by how petite it seemed, when I was in Knights.

Shaving Shack just started stocking Mühle products recently, given the sterling exchange rate, it is actually cheaper to buy over here!

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,470 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Bought more stuff in TKMaxx,

Although I didn't initially like the smell off this range I have to say its grown on me, plus the mrs loves it ;)

Anyway very little of it left in TKMaxx Waterford so bought more shave cream.

I have to say out of the picture below the post-shave gel is great it really reduces redness more then the likes of the post-shave cream for Lidl or Nivea cream

shavingtwo.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭Star Lord

Any of you guys that ordered from shaving-shack.co.uk before know what their delivery times are like? Placed an order on Friday morning, and not gotten anything yet, and not received any "Order dispatched" notifications, so I doubt they do them.

Any of you guys that ordered from shaving-shack.co.uk before know what their delivery times are like? Placed an order on Friday morning, and not gotten anything yet, and not received any "Order dispatched" notifications, so I doubt they do them.

It's been a while but I remember they took longer than Connaught as I've
    a habit of placing orders from both on the same day. I'd say around the
    7-10 day mark for delivery to Dublin for Shaving Shack.
    I don't think I ever got a tracking number from them either.

Seems like I should have headed to TK Maxx before I tipped you lot
    off to them stocking shaving gear :D Keep meaning to head over.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭Star Lord

It's been a while but I remember they took longer than Connaught as I've
    a habit of placing orders from both on the same day. I'd say around the
    7-10 day mark for delivery to Dublin for Shaving Shack.
    I don't think I ever got a tracking number from them either.

:eek: I was afraid someone would say that :(
    I needs more blades and have ordered a Merkur 34c HD and really don't wanna use my Wilkinson Sword Classic any more :(

Advertisement