Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Israel refuse to co-operate with UN on nuclear inspections

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

Justind wrote: »
    All this hypocritical waffle from the usual armchair suspects on anything Israeli just needs a reality check from time to time.

I've seen no hypocrisy. The fact is that Israel has not joined the IAEA, has no inspectors and is allowed to pretend that it has no weapons, when its known for a fact that it has. No other regime has been allowed this privilege.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,779 ✭✭✭Ping Chow Chi

At least the Israelis were being honest about it. Which is more deceitful, not signing the treaty and developing a nuke, or signing the treaty, and developing a nuke anyway? Note that Iran has not come to an agreement yet with the IAEA/UN on its own inspections, the article in the OP even notes Iran's own hypocrisy.

I'll just point out that it has not been proved that Iran are developing nukes yet, surely it was this type of wishy-washy doublespeak that got us invading Iraq for their invisible WMD.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 909 ✭✭✭Captain Furball

Here's a story now today titled.

Israel's 'options open' on Iran

Israel has not ruled out any options in dealing with Iran's nuclear programme, a senior Israeli official has said.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/middle_east/8267189.stm

What if instead the story read as follows.

Irans 'options open' on Isreal

Iran has not ruled out any options in dealing with Israels nuclear programme, a senior Iranian official has said.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,759 ✭✭✭✭dlofnep

Deputy Foreign Minister Danny Ayalon said there was no guarantee Israel would not launch a strike on Iran's nuclear facilities.

All threats seem to be coming from Israel towards Iran. Where has Iran threatened Israel to warrant an attack?

• Registered Users Posts: 979 ✭✭✭stevedublin

dlofnep wrote: »
    All threats seem to be coming from Israel towards Iran. Where has Iran threatened Israel to warrant an attack?

The current Iranian president has threatened to wipe Israel off the map and has denied the existence of the holocaust. Iran supplies weapons to Hamas and Hizbollah who use them against Israeli soldiers and civilians.
    Israel probably has nuclear weapons but are very unlikely to use them except in an extreme case of self-defense as a last resort.
    Any moderately-informed, sane, rational person understands that Iran is a threat to Israels existence and not vice versa.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,691 ✭✭✭RedPlanet

The current Iranian president has threatened to wipe Israel off the map
    That is not true.
    The correct translation has become a matter of debate.
    and has denied the existence of the holocaust.
    So? That's an excuse for threating war is it?
    Iran supplies weapons to Hamas and Hizbollah who use them against Israeli soldiers and civilians.
    And fair play to them (minus the civilians part)

The current Iranian president has threatened to wipe Israel off the map.

Wrong, no he didn't.
    Iran supplies weapons to Hamas and Hizbollah who use them against Israeli soldiers and civilians.

So what if they do - American supplies Israel with 3 billion annually in military support. What's the difference?
    Any moderately-informed, sane, rational person understands that Iran is a threat to Israels existence and not vice versa.

I'm a rational person. What you are attempting to do is cast anyone who disagrees with your opinion as an irrational person. Not a very substantial piece to debate with to be honest.

Israel is the one who has repeatedly attacked other nations. Israel is the one accused of war-crimes. Israel is the one who has used people as human shields. Israel is the one that has occupied land illegally, and expanded settlements against international will.

So given Israel's track record on attacking other nations, their blatant disregard for criticism from the international community in regards to their war crimes, and their aggressive nature which was evident in the last assault on Palestine, and reported by not only Palestinians but UN representatives, Is it not quite evident who the bigger threat is.

Quiz time - Can you tell me the last time Iran attacked another nation, that was not out of self defense?

Wrong, no he didn't.
    Maybe I got the wording wrong, but the meaning is clear, the current regime of Iran wish to destroy Israel by any means necessary.
    So what if they do - American supplies Israel with 3 billion annually in military support. What's the difference?
    The difference is that Hamas and Hisbollah use the weapons to kill Israeli soldiers and civilians.
    Quiz time - Can you tell me the last time Iran attacked another nation, that was not out of self defense
    No, can you tell me the last time Israel attacked another nation, that was not out of self defense? By the way, Iran and Iraq had a war in the 1980s

Maybe I got the wording wrong, but the meaning is clear, the current regime of Iran wish to destroy Israel by any means necessary.

Where is your evidence for this?

The difference is that Hamas and Hisbollah use the weapons to kill Israeli soldiers and civilians.

The IDF uses weapons to kill soldiers and civilians. What's your point? Moreover, the IDF has killed substantially more civilians at an unfathomable ratio compared to Hamas.
    No, can you tell me the last time Israel attacked another nation, that was not out of self defense?

A few months back. It was internationally discussed. Perhaps you missed it. Nearly 1,500 Palestinians killed, 1000's of homes destroyed, nearly half a million people left without water.

13 Israelis killed in the same period, 4 of which were by friendly fire from other members of the IDF.

If the IDF were defending against anything, it should have been defending against themselves since their nearly killed as many Israelis as Hamas did.
    By the way, Iran and Iraq had a war in the 1980s

Iraq invaded Iran, Iran defended itself. I asked you the last time Iran attacked another nation not out of self defense. Can you answer?

Iraq invaded Iran, Iran defended itself. I asked you the last time Iran attacked another nation not out of self defense. Can you answer?

I already answered no!
    can you answer when Israel attacked another nation not out of self defense?

• Advertisement

Where is your evidence for this?
    The pronouncements of Ahmadinejad, Khatami and others in power in Iran.
    The IDF uses weapons to kill soldiers and civilians. What's your point?
    my point is the IDF uses the weapons to DEFEND their country, not launch unprovoked attacks.

I already answered no!

So you don't know when Iran attacked another nation, but yet still feel that they are the greater threat to Israel - a country accused of war crimes? Am I missing something here?

my point is the IDF uses the weapons to DEFEND their country, not launch unprovoked attacks.

No it doesn't.

So you don't know when Iran attacked another nation, but yet still feel that they are the greater threat to Israel - a country accused of war crimes? Am I missing something here?

yes, you are missing the threats to Israels existence by its leaders, Irans supply of weaponry to Hamas and Hisbollah who then use said weaponry to attack and kill Israelis, the general intention of the current Iranian regime to destroy Israel etc. etc. etc.

Iran may not have started a war against another nation, but nor did Israel.
    Iran has brutally suppressed and killed ethnic minorities and political dissidents and others. If you want to look for war crimes, examine Irans behaviour in the Iran/Iraq war.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

And Israel supplied weapons to the SLA and Phalangists which were used to kill Lebanese soldiers and civillians, and Irish UN personnell.
    No, can you tell me the last time Israel attacked another nation, that was not out of self defense? By the way, Iran and Iraq had a war in the 1980s

They alledge self defence everytime. Iraq attacked Iran, btw.

How is occupying the West Bank and building civillian housing therein using weapons to "DEFEND" Israel? I'm just not seeing how evicting Arab farmers and building nice semi-detached housing on the land constitutes self defence meself.......

Israel has received the go ahead from Saudi Arabia to use it's airspace to attack Iran. Disturbing times for the area. The question is, will they receive military support from the US or anyone else?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,575 ✭✭✭✭FlutterinBantam

Keep us posted on how that long range missile Iran are testing to-morrow goes D.

Will be at a conference.

Keep us posted on how that long range missile Iran are testing to-morrow goes D.

Hopefully it goes well. Iran should do whatever necessary to defend itself against an attack.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,528 ✭✭✭OK-Cancel-Apply

Iran is undoubtedly preparing for Israel's inevitable attack, which will come under the pretext of pre-emptive action against nuclear facilities.

Wasn't it strange watching that ignoramus Sarkozy ranting and raving about Iran's 'nukes', and what the world should do, when Israel has undeclared nukes and has NOT signed the Non-Proliferation Treaty? He raised all the fingers of his hand to underscore the alleged 5 times Iran has ignored UN resolutions since 2005. He'd need the hands of his whole delegation to show Israel's 65 ignored resolutions.

What tragic double standards. The whole point of that conference was to try and throw the spotlight onto Iran again. I think we are in for more war and bloodshed.

• Advertisement

Wasn't it strange watching that ignoramus Sarkozy ranting and raving about Iran's 'nukes', and what the world should do, when Israel has undeclared nukes and has NOT signed the Non-Proliferation Treaty? He raised all the fingers of his hand to underscore the alleged 5 times Iran has ignored UN resolutions since 2005. He'd need the hands of his whole delegation to show Israel's 65 ignored resolutions.

What tragic double standards. The whole point of that conference was to try and throw the spotlight onto Iran again. I think we are in for more war and bloodshed.

And the further hypocrisy of the whole situation is France assisted Israel with it's nuclear weapons.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 943 ✭✭✭OldJay

Hopefully it goes well. Iran should do whatever necessary to defend itself against an attack.

"Whatever necessary"???
    Is there a limit to this no-holds-barred advocation for destruction of yours then or did you have anything in particular in mind?
    Quite surprising this statement of yours is given that you seem to have allegedly been posting on a stance of human rights and justice etc

Wasn't it strange watching that ignoramus Sarkozy ranting and raving about Iran's 'nukes', and what the world should do, when Israel has undeclared nukes and has NOT signed the Non-Proliferation Treaty? He raised all the fingers of his hand to underscore the alleged 5 times Iran has ignored UN resolutions since 2005. He'd need the hands of his whole delegation to show Israel's 65 ignored resolutions
    Yes it was a showpiece to show solidarity against Iran and wrongfully so, in my opinion. Pretty trite efforts at rhetoric and intent by Obama and Brown etc. as well as the populist from Iran too.
    If you're talking up the clout of UN resolutions when discussing Israel, why does #181 keep getting ignored though? Is one more correct than another?

"Whatever necessary"???
    Is there a limit to this no-holds-barred advocation for destruction of yours then or did you have anything in particular in mind?
    Quite surprising this statement of yours is given that you seem to have allegedly been posting on a stance of human rights and justice etc

Whatever necessary means, the appropriate amount of force necessary in order to repel an Israeli attack. Don't read between the lines when there is nothing to read.

There is nothing surprising about my statement nor is there anything surprising about the hyperbole you are creating for me stating that Iran has the right to defend itself against an attack.

Whatever necessary means, the appropriate amount of force necessary in order to repel an Israeli attack. Don't read between the lines when there is nothing to read.

When you say the above in a line that wishes Iran well with programme, what degree of "necessary" force had you in mind?

When you say the above in a line that wishes Iran well with programme, what degree of "necessary" force had you in mind?

Perhaps a glance at a dictionary would explain the meaning of the word necessary. The required amount. Anything less would result in defeat, anything more would result in gross loss of civilian life.

Do you dispute that a country has the right to defend itself?

Perhaps a glance at a dictionary would explain the meaning of the word necessary. The required amount. Anything less would result in defeat, anything more would result in gross loss of civilian life
    Ignoring the smugness of that reply, I'd say you're suggesting tit-for-tat then?
    Do you dispute that a country has the right to defend itself?
    Threatening its neighbours isn't "defence" and neither is working clandestinely within those neighbours' (and other countries') boundaries as you regularly point out certain western countries do (US, UK, France and USSR/Russia).

I'll watch out for your protests this week then. I work across the road from the Israeli embassy and down the road from the US'. Shall give you a wave and a solidarity salute.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,255 ✭✭✭anonymous_joe

Iran is undoubtedly preparing for Israel's inevitable attack, which will come under the pretext of pre-emptive action against nuclear facilities.

Iran's ruled by Muslim fanatics! The Ayatollahs have brutally suppressed any democratic freedom in Iran, they've opressed women, murdered minorities, journalists, and anyone who speaks out. And you want them to have nukes?

Ignoring the smugness of that reply, I'd say you're suggesting tit-for-tat then?

I'm not quite sure what you mean by this. That's generally how it works - when one nation attacks another sovereign nation, it responds - creating a tit-for-tat effect, which is otherwise known as war.
    Threatening its neighbours isn't "defence" and neither is working clandestinely within those neighbours' (and other countries') boundaries as you regularly point out certain western countries do (US, UK, France and USSR/Russia).

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/7440472.stm

A top Israeli official has said that if Iran continues with its alleged nuclear arms programme, Israel will attack it.

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,133899,00.html

JERUSALEM — Israel will consider "all options" to prevent Iran from producing nuclear weapons, Defense Minister Shaul Mofaz said in an interview published Wednesday, marking the latest in a series of Israeli threats against Iran's nuclear program.

http://www.democracynow.org/2003/12/22/iran_signs_protocol_on_surprise_inspections

As Iran agrees to allow UN inspectors into the country to examine suspected nuclear sites, Israeli Defense Minister Shaul Mofaz has begun publicly discussing a possible Israeli attack on Iran to destroy Iran’s nuclear capability.

Did you miss these? Israel seems to be the one dishing out all the threats. I've only seen Iran state that it will attack, IF Israel attacks it first. Does the hypocrisy of one nation who hides it's nuclear weapons to the world, trying to dictate on whether another sovereign nation can or cannot develop nuclear fuel not reach you?

• Advertisement

Iran's ruled by Muslim fanatics! The Ayatollahs have brutally suppressed any democratic freedom in Iran, they've opressed women, murdered minorities, journalists, and anyone who speaks out. And you want them to have nukes?

Israel is ruled by Zionist fanatics. What's the difference? Israel already has 150 nuclear weapons. There is no evidence to suggest that Iran has any nuclear weapons. Why no public outcry for Israel's undisclosed nuclear weaponry? The same Israel which has recently committed war crimes in Palestine.

Advertisement