Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

TV's with MPEG4 DTT decoder

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 71 ✭✭steveq

peking97 wrote: »
    Are you sure about this? AFAIK the UK sets (B suffix) will handle Freesat but not Irish DTT and the Irish sets (L suffix) will handle Irish DTT but not Freesat.
    HTH

Only some TV sets in the UK handle Freesat. Of those that do handle Freesat some also have MPEG4 decoders. Some Panasonic LCD and Plasma screens do (I have one and it does) and some LG LCDs do.
    There is a list in this thread.

Beware though, the Panasonics had issues with Service Types which prevents tuning in new channels and receiving the EPG. Maybe fixed in the most recent models, I don't know. Also well documented in a different thread on this site.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,778 ✭✭✭Apogee

steveq wrote: »
    Only some TV sets in the UK handle Freesat. Of those that do handle Freesat some also have MPEG4 decoders. Some Panasonic LCD and Plasma screens do (I have one and it does) and some LG LCDs do.
    There is a list in this thread.

Beware though, the Panasonics had issues with Service Types which prevents tuning in new channels and receiving the EPG. Maybe fixed in the most recent models, I don't know. Also well documented in a different thread on this site.

On the off-chance that someone might be tempted to buy a Panasonic Freesat TV in the hope that they will display the Irish DTT channels, none of the models will scan the channels.

You can use a botch by uploading the channel data into the PZ81 range but this means you're bollixed if RTÉNL change parameters or transmit new channels. The newer G10B and V10B models are completely useless, because they will neither scan the channels nor accept channel data from SD cards.

If you want a Freesat TV that will scan the Irish DTTs, then buy an LG instead.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,602 ✭✭✭200motels

Apogee wrote: »
    On the off-chance that someone might be tempted to buy a Panasonic Freesat TV in the hope that they will display the Irish DTT channels, none of the models will scan the channels.

You can use a botch by uploading the channel data into the PZ81 range but this means you're bollixed if RTÉNL change parameters or transmit new channels. The newer G10B and V10B models are completely useless, because they will neither scan the channels nor accept channel data from SD cards.

Or the new Sony W series LCD'S.

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭aldente

steveq wrote: »
    On the Sony KDL-40 WES:

Over the lifetime of the TV the price difference will be insignificant. I recall the Sony were offering a 3 or 5 year warranty which is also worth something. In principle though I suggest that it is generally worth paying a bit extra for quality -- you'll be sitting looking at it for a long time!!

Thank you for your post. I don't mind paying a bit extra for quality, as you say, you'll be sitting looking at it for a long time.

However, it is that lower wattage (88W meaning 50-100W savings) versus 200 euro extra that makes me interested. Because of my experience with electric heater during one winter, I am acutely aware that your electricity bill can frighteningly skyrocket. 40" LCD TV is not so large in wattage as a typical portable heater, but all accumulates to make a big bill. In my rough calculation, it would take a year or two to recoup the 200 euro. It may be acceptable if you enjoy the higher quality with some energy savings over two years.

Hmmm, all it means is that manufacturers should go further seriously so that consumers would not need to mull over choice between eco and non-eco models!!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,531 ✭✭✭Zonda999

200motels wrote: »
    Or the new Sony W series LCD'S.

Well we dont know if it'll be called the W series but apparently sony tvs with freesat are indeed on the way

http://www.techradar.com/news/television/hdtv/sony-to-release-freesat-tvs-by-end-of-the-year-587416

By Chrimbo, so the story goes, the F series maybe:)

Extremely likely that these sony freesat sets will have mpeg4 tuners. All the decent sets in the 2009 sony range have mpeg4 decoders

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 655 ✭✭✭Macy

Finne1993 wrote: »
    Bought a sammy PS42B430 in Power City yesterday, fantastic digital pictures on the 4 DTT channels, Sky HD looks amazing on it as well.
    Thinking of upgrading to this one - does it support the DTT EPG and Text?

• Registered Users Posts: 502 ✭✭✭Finne1993

Macy wrote: »
    Thinking of upgrading to this one - does it support the DTT EPG and Text?

Yes, its got MHEG5 and full EPG, works a treat... whenever there is a signal, Three Rock and Kippure don't seem to be transmitting today, well they were'nt at 4 o clock today, did'nt look at it since

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭STB

....................... The newer G10B and V10B models are completely useless, because they will neither scan the channels nor accept channel data from SD cards.

Your joking me. They are still not compliant with DVB standards on the new set of HD combos. That IS a sham.

I can just hear there mantra now...... blah blah blah to the UK standard (rather than accepted dvb standard).

I wonder do Pani have a problem with licensing ?
    sesswhat wrote: »
    Don't invest too much though as:

1. Irish DTT tests could disappear at any time.

2. Current mpeg4 equipment will not work with UK Freeview HD which should be available in NI after 2012. Set Top Boxes for this service should be available when it goes live in the Granada region at the end of 2009. These will work with current mpeg2 Freeview, Freeview HD and Irish DTT.

1. Irish DTT standards are still set.

2. This ONLY applies to the 2 or 3 HD channels that will be broadcast on DVBT2. DVB-T for non HD channels will co-exist with those HD channels that will be hosted on DVB-T2 for many years to come. Not a major issue.

That aside DVBT2 products for HD Terrestrial wont be freely commercially available til 2010 at the earliest.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,778 ✭✭✭Apogee

STB wrote: »
    Your joking me. They are still not compliant with DVB standards on the new set of HD combos. That IS a sham.

No, despite the fact the G10B probably shares mostly the same hardware as the G10L, the G10B and V10B still aren't compliant despite the fact they claim in their manuals and specs that they are. Because the newer models weren't around when the channels were flagged as TV services, no data file exists, and they won't upload the PZ81 files either.

No, despite the fact the G10B probably shares mostly the same hardware as the G10L, the G10B and V10B still aren't compliant despite the fact they claim in their manuals and specs that they are. Because the newer models weren't around when the channels were flagged as TV services, no data file exists, and they won't upload the PZ81 files either.

I wonder if Panasonic are obliged by their freesat licence to disallow MPEG-4 DVB-T services, in order to discourage their use in Ireland?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 313 ✭✭kah22

Can anybody give me the names of digi boxes capable of decoding mpeg 4

Kevin

Don't want to be getting peoples hopes up but I'm just after switching on my TV (Panasonic TH-42PX80) and new DVB services message came up on screen and I went for the autotune and all 9 services from three rock and Kippure came up on the search. Now I know my TV is'nt MPEG4 but on a scan before this only the 4 radio stations came up on it so obviously RTENL have changed the service type again so all you people with the freesat Panasonics get tuning now!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19 Irish Bazza

At last, all nine stations now coming through. Sound only on TV Channels. I may not look at a MPEG CAM to view channels.

This is a positive development from RTE.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭STB

Bargain Alert

The LG LF7700 range. Yep thats the one with the Freesat HD Tuner that ALSO has a DVB-T tuner that works for DTT (and by all accounts doesnt have the short cut issues the Panasonics have) . It is also MPEG4 1080P. And hey its an LCD!

The prices at the moment are very good (STG 300 off them at the mo with Richersounds).

32 LF7700 - STG 399 (€459)
    37 LF7700 - STG 579 (€666)
    42 LF7700 - STG 689 (€793)

And dont Richersounds transport these these through the Philips shop in Dublin as the MD John McD runs it and at minimal costs to boardsies!

I know what I would be buying. Infact I'll stick this in the MPEG4 TVs thread just in case someone doesnt read this thread as its an obvious bargain.

I dont work for Richer Sounds by the way. A good buy for anyone considering buying a nice cheap FTA Sat and Digital Terrestrial setup ALL in one, built in.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,018 ✭✭✭ei9go

KAH22-- Saw mpeg4 dtt set top boxes in Irwins, Dungarvan, Co. Waterford yesterday.

• Registered Users Posts: 205 ✭✭Superfin

Folks,

Can anyone confirm that this LCD
    http://www.richersounds.com/product/lcd-tv/samsung/le26b450/sams-le26b450#

Is mpeg-4 Dtt compatible?

Thanks

Received my Panasonic TX-LF32X10 yesterday, €390 delivered to my door, bought it off an Ebay seller, he had 5 to sell brand new, box untouched, full warranty, picking up the full RTENL tests, and epg.
    Only thing is it does'nt seem to have MHEG5 as the text is just the normal blocky text. Possibly there might be a setting to change this, if anyone knows? Maybe if I change country, I tuned it in in the French settings, no option for UK or Ireland. I get the digital text no problem on my Panasonic TH-42PX80 but obviously no picture as its only MPEG2.
    Regardless I'm delighted with the set, think I got good value there, very hard to beat the picture on a Panasonic, even the Analogue pictures are impressive.

Superfin wrote: »
    Folks,

Can anyone confirm that this LCD
    http://www.richersounds.com/product/lcd-tv/samsung/le26b450/sams-le26b450#

Is mpeg-4 Dtt compatible?

Thanks

Yes, its compatible, I have the 42" version of this TV, very happy with it.
    You might be better off going for the 32" model, its on Richersounds for only £25 extra or maybe you're restricted spacewise.

• Registered Users Posts: 205 ✭✭Superfin

Thanks, unfortunately I'm restricted by space so the 26'' is the best solution. Is there a contact on here for Richersounds as in getting it delivered cheap to Dublin?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,112 ✭✭✭John mac

Superfin wrote: »
    Thanks, unfortunately I'm restricted by space so the 26'' is the best solution. Is there a contact on here for Richersounds as in getting it delivered cheap to Dublin?

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=1105

drop John a mail and he will look after you ..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 356 ✭✭egal

Does anyone have an LG 37lg3000? Can it receive Irish DTT? Thanks.

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,099 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

Hm, looking at a PDF specsheet for it, and it seems not? It's not a model on the Irish website (it's pretty much all 37LHxxxx here), but is on the Polish and Nordic ones.

• Registered Users Posts: 270 ✭✭zbluebirdz

egal wrote: »
    Does anyone have an LG 37lg3000? Can it receive Irish DTT? Thanks.

xxLGxxxx do not have the necessary hardware to decode Irish DTT.

xxLHxxxx usually have the hardware.

• Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭Satdog

In case anyone is interested.

Hooked up Philips 32PFL5604 (MPEG2 & MPEG4) to existing aerials - VHF to Mount Leinster and 19 element contract UHF aerial to Preseli, Wales. Irish and UK digital received. Will look later to see exactly what's coming in from Walses (EPG, SD vs HD etc.). I live three miles south of Wexford town on a bit of a height with clear view out to sea.

Satdog

• Closed Accounts Posts: 456 ✭✭mrdtv

Satdog wrote: »
    In case anyone is interested.

Hooked up Philips 32PFL5604 (MPEG2 & MPEG4) to existing aerials - VHF to Mount Leinster and 19 element contract UHF aerial to Preseli, Wales. Irish and UK digital received. Will look later to see exactly what's coming in from Walses (EPG, SD vs HD etc.). I live three miles south of Wexford town on a bit of a height with clear view out to sea.

Satdog

We are very interested! Tell us:

a) the signal strengths of UK and Ireland, BER, quality if you can

b) Stability of Preseli reception, channels available (98 services is the full deck of cards)

c) How the Irish and UK services populate the EPG.

d) Do you have a masthead amp on the Preseli aerial?

There's a whole thread on this subject. PS there's no HD yet from the UK, that'll probably be next year from Preseli.

c) How the UK and Ireland services populate the EPG. Thee

• Registered Users Posts: 347 ✭✭John Dough

Just how far inland do the Wales and N.I. services reach at the present time.;)

• Registered Users Posts: 347 ✭✭John Dough

Finne1993 wrote: »
    Received my Panasonic TX-LF32X10 yesterday, €390 delivered to my door, bought it off an Ebay seller, he had 5 to sell brand new, box untouched, full warranty, picking up the full RTENL tests, and epg.
    Only thing is it does'nt seem to have MHEG5 as the text is just the normal blocky text. Possibly there might be a setting to change this, if anyone knows? Maybe if I change country, I tuned it in in the French settings, no option for UK or Ireland. I get the digital text no problem on my Panasonic TH-42PX80 but obviously no picture as its only MPEG2.
    Regardless I'm delighted with the set, think I got good value there, very hard to beat the picture on a Panasonic, even the Analogue pictures are impressive.

I am surprised you did not get a Mpeg 4 cam for the 42incher it would have been a hell of a lot cheaper!!

John Dough wrote: »
    I am surprised you did not get a Mpeg 4 cam for the 42incher it would have been a hell of a lot cheaper!!

I was'nt replacing the set, needed the 32" one for a different room. In any case the cams only work with a couple of TV's mainly Sony, Samsung, LG and Philips. Its all explained in this thread:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055384875

About 6 months ago I did buy one of the Neotion cams for the hell of it but no joy with my TV, tried it in a few other makes I came across in other peoples houses and did'nt work. Never actually seen a cam working but many here on boards will tell you the picture quality can be poor enough. Its a shame there is no proper solution coz there are obviously thousands of MPEG2 TV's in this country that will never work with RTE DTT

• Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭Satdog

MRDTV,
    I've moved thread to here (
    http://members.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055658286 )
    for the benefit of members and because I'm looking for answers myself.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭Verso

Hi all,

Sorry if this question has been dealt with before but I could not find anything.

I was looking at a 22 inch Samsung in PowerCity with MPEG4 technology. As it is important that I can also receive MPEG2 transmissions I was advised that sets with MPEG4 could not receive the UK DTT.

I am probably wrong here but I thought that MPEG4 included MPEG2 technology.

Comments anyone?.

Advertisement