Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

TV's with MPEG4 DTT decoder

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14 Garmin

I presume it is the mpeg4 SD that I am picking up at the moment, I do not notice any improvement over watching SKY SD. If that is all that they are going to broadcast I don't think I would have any Interest in it. I am looking for better quality than SKY SD, there is not alot to offer on SKY HD for me to make the switch over

• Registered Users Posts: 3,008 ✭✭✭slegs

The idea is that it is a free high quality digital alternative to Sky. If you want to continue paying to watch RTE on Sky go ahead.

• Registered Users Posts: 856 ✭✭✭peking97

Yep, it claim "TNT HD" which is compatable

Might not support Digital Text.

http://www.pixmania.ie/ie/uk/61/36/xx/8/3/criteresn_BA00001736-BV00123314.html

I can confirm that it does indeed work with Irish DTT and both digital text and EPG are supported.

• Registered Users Posts: 502 ✭✭✭Finne1993

Bought a sammy PS42B430 in Power City yesterday, fantastic digital pictures on the 4 DTT channels, Sky HD looks amazing on it as well.

http://www.powercity.ie/?par=10-13-42B430&pages=1&prod=42B430

€600 for a 42" plasma with mpeg4 has to be seen as a good deal especially as its €769 in pixmania:

http://www.pixmania.ie/ie/uk/r/ps42b430.

Get out there and get one! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,557 ✭✭✭GrumPy

Finne1993 wrote: »
    Bought a sammy PS42B430 in Power City yesterday, fantastic digital pictures on the 4 DTT channels, Sky HD looks amazing on it as well.

http://www.powercity.ie/?par=10-13-42B430&pages=1&prod=42B430

€600 for a 42" plasma with mpeg4 has to be seen as a good deal especially as its €769 in pixmania:

http://www.pixmania.ie/ie/uk/r/ps42b430.

Get out there and get one! :)

You buy in store, along with a stand and 32 inch beko? :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 469 ✭✭bob11

I am now the proud owner of the 19" Samsung B series (LE19B450) providing the RTE digital services perfectly.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055549229

(no affiliation with philips or richer sounds - ended up getting the tv from DID electrical as Philips shop didnt have it in stock..)

Hi Podgeandrodge or others ..

Looking to buy a cheap 19inch that will support MPEG2 + MPEG4.

I will be using it in border region and not sure if I will be able to pick up both Northern and Southern DTT , so I need to have both a UHF + VHF tuner as well for the analogue just in case ..

Can anyone confirm if this Samsung LE19B450 has both UHF + VHF Analogue Tuners ?

By the way, I see that it is 185 Stg now on http://www.pixmania.co.uk/uk/uk/2638856/art/samsung/le19b450-lcd-television.html

Rgds,

Bob

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭jmcbride

I bought a Philips 32PFL5604H at Powercity on Thursday, then picked up a Humax HD Freesat box at the weekend. Wimbledon and (especially) Glastonbury looked stunning in HD.

Unfortuantely, I couldn't tune into any DTT signals (I live in Dun Laoghaire), having plugged in the indoor aerial that came with a Hauppuage WinTV-HVR H006 that I recently bought on Amazon. I know, from reading other threads here, that Three Rock is on reduced power, so should I invest in an amplified aerial if I want to pick up Irish DTT?

GrumPy wrote: »
    You buy in store, along with a stand and 32 inch beko? :pac:

Jesus, I have a stalker on my hands!!! :D:D:D

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,103 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

bob11 wrote:
    Can anyone confirm if this Samsung LE19B450 has both UHF + VHF Analogue Tuners ?
    Yeah. Should be grand.

Jesus, I have a stalker on my hands!!! :D:D:D

You bought it off me :pac:

Small world!!

• Advertisement

GrumPy wrote: »
    You bought it off me :pac:

Small world!!

I assumed that! Now if there had been 10 or 15 people in the shop then I would've started to worry!! Keep up the good work anyway, I'm telling all the folk here no need to go north for the electrical stuff now, very competitive prices in with yourselves, think I sold a 50" Sammy for you last night, mate of mine moving into a new house, told him to make sure he buys tv's with an mpeg4 tuner and showed him the 42" i got, very impressed. Keep it up!!

I assumed that!

But I was run off my feet! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭Denethor

Samsung LE32B530 by Harvey Norman 499euro in their lastest offers booklet. CIAO have in down as DVBT/C mpeg4 I'm very tempted to buy, but a little concerned that there's just one scart

Denethor wrote: »
    Samsung LE32B530 by Harvey Norman 499euro in their lastest offers booklet. CIAO have in down as DVBT/C mpeg4 I'm very tempted to buy, but a little concerned that there's just one scart

€479 in Power City
    http://www.powercity.ie/?par=10-12-32B530&pages=1&prod=32B530

or €406 for the LE32B430, great value that, unless you're buying the tv for Blu ray or PS3, Xbox etc which in that case go for the 530. Both TV's have mpeg4 tuners. Buy a scart switcher, aldi/lidl have specials on them from time to time.

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭patrick whitty

you can get an automatic scart for as little as 20e which takes care of receiver dvd and others
    patrick

• Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭johnbk

Has any of the new Panasonic TVs with the Freesat tunner have MPEG4 too?

My views are my own.

Not many replies on this thread for a while, I'll ask this question here first anyway rather than starting a new thread.

Anyone know if this Panasonic TV TX-LF32X10 is mpeg4 and more importantly if it is then is the service type correct on it as we know all about the problems with the Freesat Panny TV's.

Was just messing about on Pixmania and thought this might suit me because its a Panasonic I need for the room this is going in because its going to link up with other Panasonic stuff I have.

Its labelled TNT HD and as the vast majority of TV's that have that label are compatible with the Irish DTT I'm hopeful this will work although I won't hold my breath.

http://www.pixmania.ie/ie/uk/2862837/art/panasonic/tx-lf32x10-lcd-television.html

Thanks for any replies.

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭stam

Hi i got a 37 inc lcd Toshiba tv from pixmania with works perfect on dtt here in ireland just does not have the fancy mpeg 5 text it still has the standerd text one that will do me

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭aldente

If you mean TX-L32X10L by "TX-LF32X10" (typo?), there is a hyperlink to Panasonic UK listing "Irish" models:

http://www.panasonic.co.uk/html/en_GB/Products/VIERA+Flat+Screen+Televisions/VIERA+Flat+Screen+TV+%28Ireland%29/TX-L32X10L/Overview/2355600/index.html

And it says "DVB Digital Tuner yes [DVB-T/DVB-T (H.264)]", which means MPEG4, and its manual also states "Any functions related to DVB (Digital Video Broadcasting) will work in areas where DVB-T (MPEG2 and MPEG4-AVC(H.264)) digital terrestrial broadcasting are received".

I would cross-check manufacturer's web site with shop web sites which might sometimes give you wrong information. Those satellite European operator logos are no more than suggestion, we should not automatically translate them to good Irish market compatibility, in my opinion.

I hope this will be of any help.

aldente
    Not many replies on this thread for a while, I'll ask this question here first anyway rather than starting a new thread.

Anyone know if this Panasonic TV TX-LF32X10 is mpeg4 and more importantly if it is then is the service type correct on it as we know all about the problems with the Freesat Panny TV's.

Was just messing about on Pixmania and thought this might suit me because its a Panasonic I need for the room this is going in because its going to link up with other Panasonic stuff I have.

Its labelled TNT HD and as the vast majority of TV's that have that label are compatible with the Irish DTT I'm hopeful this will work although I won't hold my breath.

http://www.pixmania.ie/ie/uk/2862837/art/panasonic/tx-lf32x10-lcd-television.html

Thanks for any replies.

• Advertisement

Thanks for the reply.
    I looked it up a bit more there and if you put in the model number TX-L32X10 into a search on the panasonic website it comes up that it only has a regular DVB-T tuner but at the bottom of the page this is included:

****DVB-T H.264 available in selected countries: Denmark (DNK), Spain (ESP), Estonia (EST), France (FRA), Lithuania (LTU), Norway (NOR), Slovenia (SVN), Sweden (SWE).

Would I take it to mean the F part in the LF32X10 means France?
    A google search of LF32X10 brings up plenty of results and different sellers and a search of L32X10F brings up nothing so I'm not really sure if it is a typo, its starting to get somewhat confusing!

Answering my own question here!

http://www.panasonic.fr/html/fr_FR/Produits/Ecrans+Plats+Viera/Ecrans+LCD/TX-LF32X10/Caract%C3%A9ristiques/2245515/index.html

The TX-LF32X10 does exist, its the French model and has a DVB-T H.264 MPEG4 tuner in it so thats my mind made up, I have it bought already!

• Registered Users Posts: 17 somorain

Let us know how you get on with the TV

I recently bought this one
    http://www.panasonic.fr/html/fr_FR/Produits/Ecrans+Plats+Viera/Ecrans+Plasma/TX-PF37X10/Caractéristiques/2205798/index.html?trackInfo=true

It's the Fernch version of the 37in plasma.
    I also bought from pixmania.ie..great price and only EUR13 delivery.

It works fine with the RTENL DTT tests and EPG.

One concern I have though is firmware updates. (Don't know why they can't host them on their website like Philips for example).
    I have emailed Panasonic and they say they are only available over-the -air (OTA).

A subsequent email about which platforms the updates are on remains unaswered. Any info and I'll post back here. HTH

• Registered Users Posts: 313 ✭✭kah22

I'm not in the market for a new TV yet as there is still a bit of life left in the old one and when I do buy it will probably be a Panasonic.

Living North of the border and having upgraded my aerials I receive a pretty good Freeview Picture but I'd like to be able to receive RTE digitally. As I understand it the problem is that UK stations use mpeg2 while RTE uses mpeg4 - so the question is are there any digital boxes I can buy that will decode both the UK and Irish stations.

I'm currently using a lidli box and it will give me sound from the RTE stations but displays the message mpeg4.

Where to go.

Many thanks for any advice

Kevin

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭aldente

I have been thinking to upgrade my LCD TV to 40". My favourite is Sony KDL-40WE5 at the moment which suits my criteria best, except the price.

It's an eco friendly design that achieves energy consumption as low as 88W, it's spectacular among the yolks of 40" LCD TV. The wattage is one of my major check points, not to mention MPEG4 tuner buit-in, because I listen to music via an AV receiver always which is also a large wattage.

Having heard that the model is superb in quality and performance, I sometimes wonder if it's worthwhile to go for it despite it being 200 euro or so more expensive than other 40"s.

I'm trying to keep an objective view open so that I will not regret afterwards over such great expense, but sometimes it's hard to do so if you're preoccupied with something. Does anyone on the board have any opinions/suggestions? Does anyone know any models that can compete with this one?

Your reply is much appreciated.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 71 ✭✭steveq

On the Sony KDL-40 WES:

Over the lifetime of the TV the price difference will be insignificant. I recall the Sony were offering a 3 or 5 year warranty which is also worth something. In principle though I suggest that it is generally worth paying a bit extra for quality -- you'll be sitting looking at it for a long time!! Shop around for the best price: Local shops, online, NI, etc. or hang on until deals are being offered.

On the Panasonic from Pixmania (or other non-UK sources): These won't have Freesat tuners. Only the UK (incl. N.I.) ones that advertise Freesat will handle Freesat and Irish DTT. There were issues with the 2008 Panasonic models which are well documented elsewhere and these may be resolved in the latest models. That said, it is still possible to receive the UK stations via Freesat and the Irish DTT trial via an aerial on those TVs.

steveq wrote: »
    On the Sony KDL-40 WES:

Only the UK (incl. N.I.) ones that advertise Freesat will handle Freesat and Irish DTT.

Are you sure about this? AFAIK the UK sets (B suffix) will handle Freesat but not Irish DTT and the Irish sets (L suffix) will handle Irish DTT but not Freesat.
    HTH

• Registered Users Posts: 1,654 ✭✭✭givecredit

kah22 wrote: »
    so the question is are there any digital boxes I can buy that will decode both the UK and Irish stations.

Any mpeg4 dtt receiver will by default receive the uk freeview dtt mpeg2 if you have a signal.

If you have a ps3, i personally would recommend getting the "play tv" add on.
    Other wise check other threads for mpeg4 dtt receiver such as sigmatic..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,177 ✭✭✭sesswhat

givecredit wrote: »
    Any mpeg4 dtt receiver will by default receive the uk freeview dtt mpeg2 if you have a signal.

If you have a ps3, i personally would recommend getting the "play tv" add on.
    Other wise check other threads for mpeg4 dtt receiver such as sigmatic..

Don't invest too much though as:

1. Irish DTT tests could disappear at any time.

2. Current mpeg4 equipment will not work with UK Freeview HD which should be available in NI after 2012. Set Top Boxes for this service should be available when it goes live in the Granada region at the end of 2009. These will work with current mpeg2 Freeview, Freeview HD and Irish DTT.

Advertisement