Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

male to male shows of affection.

Options
  • 08-09-2009 4:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,411 ✭✭✭

A female friend of mine at the weekend kissed another friend of her's, also female on the lips and gave her a hug as they hadn't seen each other in some time...

We later had a conversation about it, and she said if i was comfortable with my sexuality i should have no problem doing the same with a male friend of mine.

Thing is i am comfortable with my sexuality, and i would shake hands or hug another male where appropriate, but would draw the line at kissing.

Why i dont know.It just seems to me that male to male shows of affection like this is highly inappropriate to say the least.

Whats everyone else opinion on this?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,942 ✭✭✭✭Stark

Continental Europeans don't seem to have a problem with it. (can just see the "Man on man action? Vote No to Lisbon" posters now).

⛥ ̸̱̼̞͛̀̓̈́͘#C̶̼̭͕̎̿͝R̶̦̮̜̃̓͌O̶̬͙̓͝W̸̜̥͈̐̾͐Ṋ̵̲͔̫̽̎̚͠ͅT̸͓͒͐H̵͔͠È̶̖̳̘͍͓̂W̴̢̋̈͒͛̋I̶͕͑͠T̵̻͈̜͂̇Č̵̤̟̑̾̂̽H̸̰̺̏̓ ̴̜̗̝̱̹͛́̊̒͝⛥

• Registered Users Posts: 33,349 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Its because women are more attractive than men. If I was a woman I'd kiss other women too

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

Stark wrote: »
    Continental Europeans don't seem to have a problem with it. (can just see the "Man on man action? Vote No to Lisbon" posters now).

Pif... that's because Europe is Gay... :pac:

- Drav!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,752 ✭✭✭pablomakaveli

Shh. Coir might hear you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,957 ✭✭✭Euro_Kraut

Its the French mostly. You wouldn't catch the Finnish at it.

Its a funny one alright. Being honest, I don’t think I would ever give a male friend a kiss on the lips. Its a bit 'Garden of Gethsemane’ for me. Then again I wouldn’t be very inclined to kiss a female friend (not my girlfriend) on the lips either.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,130 ✭✭✭✭Kiera

Myself and all my girl friends kiss each other on the lips no problem but the guys in our group wouldnt even dream of it. Its weird.

I've no problem with gay men doing it at all so i'm not sure why i'd find it so weird if the lads did it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,494 ✭✭✭citizen_p

hmm all a bit weird really.. dont see the point of hugs either.
    yes your hapy to see someone... but why do we put are arms around them??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,333 ✭✭✭✭itsallaboutheL

Euro_Kraut wrote: »
    Its a funny one alright. Being honest, I don’t think I would ever give a male friend a kiss on the lips. Its a bit 'Garden of Gethsemane’ for me. Then again I wouldn’t be very inclined to kiss a female friend (not my girlfriend) on the lips either.

I'm currently racking my brains...
    but the most suitable word i can find to describe that post is.... GAY....

Quite the oxymoron.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,931 ✭✭✭Prof.Badass

Man on man?

Not as bad as brother on sister;

http://www.radiofree.com/profiles/angelina_jolie/aj011065.jpg

:D.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,883 ✭✭✭wudangclan

Kiera wrote: »
    Myself and all my girl friends kiss each other on the lips no problem but the guys in our group wouldnt even dream of it. Its weird.

I've no problem with gay men doing it at all so i'm not sure why i'd find it so weird if the lads did it.

would you be happy with plutonic male friends kissing you on the lips as a greeting.?

wudangclan wrote: »
    would you be happy with plutonic male friends kissing you on the lips as a greeting.?
    They do. We've all grown up together so its not a big deal.

Is that weird?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,931 ✭✭✭Prof.Badass

:D

I lolled.

Sorry :o.

• Registered Users Posts: 166 ✭✭james1234

Argentinian men greet each other with a kiss on the cheek.

I spent almost a year there, and whenever I was introduced to some close male friends of any Argentinian friends, it was always a hug and a kiss on the cheek, felt quite uncomfortable the first few times, but as they say 'when in Rome...'

On the continent it's usually a kiss (or several) on the cheek (men>women, women>women), lip kissing is generally reserved for lovers from my experience.

Kiera wrote: »
    They do. We've all grown up together so its not a big deal.

Is that weird?

(oops.platonic.)

no,thats fine.
    can we be friends?

• Registered Users Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

I don't mind hugging another guy or shaking hands etc but kissing I wouldn't do.

If I saw guys kissing each other and hugging I wouldn't care but it's something I wouldn't personally do.

(oops.platonic.)

no,thats fine.
    can we be friends?
    I knew what you meant and NO! :)

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

With men kissing men on the lips? I think you'll find they do. They definitely do.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,300 ✭✭✭nice1franko

I've given male friends a kiss on the head. Nowt sexual about it. If Tony Soprano can do it so can I.

Still, to be lucky enough to get one the male has to meet ALL of the following criteria:

a) a very good friend of mine
    b) not gay
    c) be in the pub all day with me
    d) have just given me a tip that came in at a fantastic price

:p:p

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 125 ✭✭smythwicks

I couldnt care less I've done it:pac:
    This country is so homophobic that its actually a bunch of insecure men imo trying to be as macho as possible:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 889 ✭✭✭Bajingo

Male friends do not generally give eachother a kiss(on the lips) when they havent seen eachother in a while..

Female friends do not generally shake hands when they meet up after a long time though..

Thats just the way it is for most people i'd say..to see a guy kiss a guy friend(on the lips) or a woman to shake her female friends hand(instead of kissing and hugging) would be weird..

• Registered Users Posts: 4,411 ✭✭✭Lord Trollington

smythwicks wrote: »
    This country is so homophobic that its actually a bunch of insecure men imo trying to be as macho as possible:rolleyes:

I'm not homophobic, some of my best friends are in fact gay, but i just find male to male kissing inappropriate...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,487 ✭✭✭aDeener

due to your liking of pickle?

• Registered Users Posts: 268 ✭✭Adamisconfused

I live by a simple philosophy.
    In any given situation, I just ask myself, "What would Clint Eastwood do?".
    Damn Irish gun laws.:mad:

aDeener wrote: »
    due to your liking of pickle?
    alphamale im guessing?:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,487 ✭✭✭aDeener

alphamale im guessing?:rolleyes:

if thats the term you apply to men who kiss women then yes i suppose i am

• Closed Accounts Posts: 208 ✭✭scottledeuce

In India it's common for guys to hold hands walking/crossing the street

whycliff wrote: »
    I'm not homophobic, some of my best friends are in fact gay, but i just find male to male kissing inappropriate...

Sorry man didnt mean to directly offend, I mean people who condemn friends doing something open as a gesture is pretty insecure

• Advertisement

aDeener wrote: »
    if thats the term you apply to men who kiss women then yes i suppose i am

Actually alot of women I meet love the fact my mates are so cool with anything so Ill just keep this friendly and say enjoy yours and ill enjoy mine :pac:

Advertisement