Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DART+ (DART Expansion)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭brandodub

IR clip very good but I do hope it gets the go ahead.I have to agree Dublin is crying out for this sort of train service

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭krugerrand

The Inchicore Station will be an excellent addition to the Inchicore area. Let's get this project started.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,082 ✭✭✭Chris_533976

I wonder if this project will be delayed to divert funds to the Malahide repair :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 74 ✭✭RobD_

I wonder if this project will be delayed to divert funds to the Malahide repair :D

well that was part of the scheme to be electrified so maybe it'll hurry them up :P

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 5,018 Mod ✭✭✭✭G_R

whats the latest on this from people in the know on here?

from what ive heard (tru media so probably not the most reliable sources) its defo going ahead if and when ABP approve.

i know ABP wanted some more info from the RPA. whats the status on that has it been delivered to them yet or when will it be?

any info you have would be good thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,496 ✭✭✭GerardKeating

Media reports that Malahide will cost €25 million to repair, DART underground is a billion or two, so wont make much of a dent in the budget.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,468 ✭✭✭BluntGuy

dannym08 wrote: »
    i know ABP wanted some more info from the RPA. whats the status on that has it been delivered to them yet or when will it be?

I think you're thinking of Metro North. ABP asked RPA for more information and gave them, I think, a deadline of October. Consequently, according to this, at least, heavy construction work won't begin until 2011 at the earliest.

http://www.thepost.ie/post/pages/p/story.aspx-qqqt=IRELAND-qqqm=nav-qqqid=43654-qqqx=1.asp

DART Undeground, well, we don't have much information on, as of yet. All we know is the railway order application is due to be made by the end of the year. I reckon we'll see heavy construction work on this project starting in 2011 as well - around the same time as MN. It seems MN's delay has given Irish Rail's Interconnector project time to "catch-up".

BluntGuy wrote: »
    I think you're thinking of Metro North. ABP asked RPA for more information and gave them, I think, a deadline of October. Consequently, according to this, at least, heavy construction work won't begin until 2011 at the earliest.

http://www.thepost.ie/post/pages/p/story.aspx-qqqt=IRELAND-qqqm=nav-qqqid=43654-qqqx=1.asp

DART Undeground, well, we don't have much information on, as of yet. All we know is the railway order application is due to be made by the end of the year. I reckon we'll see heavy construction work on this project starting in 2011 as well - around the same time as MN. It seems MN's delay has given Irish Rail's Interconnector project time to "catch-up".

damn, im always getting those 2 confused

sooner this project is started the better,
    thanks blunt

• Closed Accounts Posts: 90 ✭✭ihatewallies

you can safely ignore anything the Sunday Business Toast writes about MN.

The National Enquirer would be more accurate.

• Registered Users Posts: 369 ✭✭Empire o de Sun

Just thought this might interest some people here

http://www.dublincity.ie/AnitePublicDocs/00261943.pdf

it was a letter to object to a development, planning ref: 2219/09

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,082 ✭✭✭Chris_533976

Its a very badly written letter, whoever wrote it :D

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭krugerrand

Quite rightly the planning application was refused.

The reason given by DCC:
    "Having regard to Policy 7.4.0 (Rail Interchange) Of the Dublin City Development Plan which states that Dublin City Council support the measures currently being implemented or proposed by the Rail Procurement Agency (RPA), Iarnrod Eireann, Dublin Transportation Office (DTO) Council and other agencies, to enhance capacity on existing lines/services and provide new infrastructure including the proposed Interconnector route linking Heuston Station to Spencer Dock, the proposed development would materially contravene the provisions of the Dublin City Development Plan 2005-2011 and the proper planning and sustainable development of the area."

So there elephant storage limited !

for anyone who is interested, IR have put a pretty decent video on youtube about the project.

this one:

• Registered Users Posts: 369 ✭✭Empire o de Sun

That video has some good graphics explaining how the system will work.

thanks furet:D

• Sorry to be dragging up an old thread but why do we need an underground Dart connector between Heuston and Connolly? Is that not already well served with the Luas going door to door? And there is a Dublin Bus feeder service.

And if it is needed, why don't IR use the existing link that goes under the Pheonix Park? Does that not link onto the existing Dart line at Connolly? If no I'm sure it goes close to it and it would be easier to join that up than building a new underground link.

• Registered Users Posts: 784 ✭✭✭zootroid

Why is it that any time there is an announcement about the interconnector, it seems to be the same information that is reported? I've been hearing for a while about plans for a tunnel from Docklands to Heuston, and the announcement on Monday told me nothing new.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,905 ✭✭✭Aard

@Foreign:
    The interconnector doesn't connect Heuston with Connolly. It bypasses Connolly altogether. The reason for not using the Phoenix Park tunnel is that it goes nowhere near the city centre. The interconnector will go right through the CBD, where most people want to go.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,133 ✭✭✭mysterious

foreign wrote: »
    Sorry to be dragging up an old thread but why do we need an underground Dart connector between Heuston and Connolly? Is that not already well served with the Luas going door to door? And there is a Dublin Bus feeder service.

And if it is needed, why don't IR use the existing link that goes under the Pheonix Park? Does that not link onto the existing Dart line at Connolly? If no I'm sure it goes close to it and it would be easier to join that up than building a new underground link.

Yes but we need a dart service that continues from Huesten to Connolly. There needs to be heavy rail and light rail movements to get through the city onto the next destination. This would allow commuters from the south to connect to the northern lines without stopping

The Luas line really connects Tallaght and south city with Huesten and city centre, plus its packed and needs relief. When the docklands line is open the Red line will be at full capacity.

There needs to be a proper intergrated rail service and it should of been done in the 80s when it was proposed. 30 years later hello.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,319 ✭✭✭Trick of the Tail

The line through the Phoenix Park tunnel does link Heuston to Connolly.

The line was upgraded about 2 years ago, new track and signalling, but IR only use it for stock movement and the occasional GAA special.

There is absolutely no reason why that shouldn't be used as an interconnector - apart from the illogical stubbornness of Irish Rail who love the idea of doing a 'big project'.

A.

• Advertisement

alinton wrote: »
    The line through the Phoenix Park tunnel does link Heuston to Connolly.

The line was upgraded about 2 years ago, new track and signalling, but IR only use it for stock movement and the occasional GAA special.

There is absolutely no reason why that shouldn't be used as an interconnector - apart from the illogical stubbornness of Irish Rail who love the idea of doing a 'big project'.

A.

But the interconnector is been used for heavy rail, Dart and double decker trains to carry all national train movements from north and south.

I would like to see the pheonix park tunnel been used aswell, but the phoenix park tunnel is better used for examples as you suggested or even commuter traffic for the Northern suburbs of Dublin.

I would like to see the interconnector start soon. We really need it. It's not an option. Dublin needs proper transport integration

• Registered Users Posts: 7,588 ✭✭✭Bluetonic

mysterious wrote: »
    But the interconnector is been used for heavy rail, Dart and double decker trains to carry all national train movements from north and south.
    I didn't think it was being used for anything except electric trains, i.e DART? Certainly not heavy rail, which to me would indicate diesel.

Bluetonic wrote: »
    I didn't think it was being used for anything except electric trains, i.e DART? Certainly not heavy rail, which to me would indicate diesel.

Well it's also for trains that use Huesten to get to the northside and link up with the northern lines. That was the reason this was mooted along with the dart.

Well it's also for trains that use Huesten to get to the northside and link up with the northern lines. That was the reason this was mooted along with the dart.
    As far as I am aware non electric trains won't use the tunnel for obvious health and safety reasons, this was always the case.

Rubbish. The tunnel isn't electrified, all traffic through it is diesel-hauled.

What 'obvious health and safety reasons?' Diesels use tunnels all the time.

A.

Bluetonic wrote: »
    As far as I am aware non electric trains won't use the tunnel for obvious health and safety reasons, this was always the case.

Thats also what I understood. The way i understood it was it would allow DART's to travel from the Northern Line to the Kildare Line, but not Intercity Trains. Someone going from say Cork - Belfast world arrive at Hueston, get onto a DART, make their way over to Connolly, then get their second train from there.

A.

I really hope your being sarcastic.

The tunnel is/will be completely electrified. How else do you expect the DART's to get through?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,089 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

A.

He's talking about the Interconnector tunnel, not the Park tunnel.

Also, Bluetonic - the DART is heavy rail.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,858 ✭✭✭paulm17781

The PPT is for diesel movement. AFAIK, only electric trains will use the IC. The IC is being designed to cater for double decker DARTS too.

@foreign & Allinton

The PPT should definitely be used, it is a disgrace that there is a line linking the two stations and it isn't used. Originally, the docklands station was supposed to be able to cater for trains from Heuston but they decided to build it in a place that is (currently) inaccessible from Heuston.

The DART underground project is about so much more than linking the stations, it is going to totally change how the DART works and make it a much better system. It delivers benefits that the PPT can't possibly match. It really is needed.

A.
    :eek:

• Advertisement

Well, he said: I didn't think it was being used for anything except electric trains, i.e DART?

The use of the past participle led me to believe he was referring to something that is extant, not something that is planned.

A.

Advertisement