Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

She drives he dies!

Options
  • 26-08-2009 4:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,560 ✭✭✭

Wednesday, 26 August 2009 15:03
    The jury in an inquest into the death of two young Cork men following a road traffic accident near Fermoy in August 2007 has delivered a verdict of death by misadventure.
    19-year-old James Sexton and 22-year-old Michael Murphy, both of Castlelyons in Cork, died following an accident in a car driven by the then 19-year-old Theresa Dingivan.
    The inquest heard Ms Dingivan who has already been acquitted of dangerous driving in Cork Circuit Criminal Court had a provisional licence, which she got just over four weeks prior to the accident.

The jury told the coroner, Dr Michael Kennedy, that they recommend that the laws in regard to provisional licences be vigorously enforced.

Just read the above on the RTE website and was just wondering what people thought given the RSA's big 'He drives she DIE's' campaign and them constantly trying to clamp down on male drivers.

Do you think the same verdict would have been handed down if this was a 19 year old male that had been driving at the time?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,651 ✭✭✭Captain Slow IRL

That's bullsh1t - if it was male, it'd be manslaughter.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 7,941 Mod ✭✭✭✭Yakult

What sentence did she get? :O

• Registered Users Posts: 1,368 ✭✭✭Smart Bug

R_H_C_P wrote: »
    What sentance did she get? :O

One spelt with an e I imagine.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,713 ✭✭✭✭Novella

"Death by misadventure"?! :rolleyes:

She had just been in court for dangerous driving so she's obviously not the bees knees behind the wheel of a car. I think it's ludicrous and if it was a male, he definitely would not have gotten off so lightly as there is huge emphasis on dangerous driving committed by males.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,488 ✭✭✭pikachucheeks

I think that whole campaign is incredibly sexist.

Both males and females are capable of being bad drivers and causing accidents - Neither should be accused of being worse than the other.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 404 ✭✭Antamojo

Some drivers are just more equal than others...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,801 ✭✭✭✭Gary ITR

That whole campaign is a load of tosh. We just had a massive thread on the whole thing over in motors.

A number of the users have written to various bodies including the RSA and the BCI

• Registered Users Posts: 777 ✭✭✭boogle

Smart Bug wrote: »
    One spelt with an e I imagine.

HAHAHAHAHAhahahahahahahah!
    Make way for the Sarcasm Master and his/her acerbic wit! It must be lonely all the way up there on your ivory tower. So charitable of you to descend and grace us all with your wisdom.

No really. This is getting too much in this forum. Someone makes a typo or spells the odd word incorrectly and someone always jumps on them like the poster is some kind of dribbling simpleton. Now I hate reading posts written in txtspk or rambling posts without any kind of grammar or punctuation, but nobody's perfect for feck sake. Nobody likes a pedantic nitpicker.

Yeah, I know R&R is that way ---->

• Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭TobyZiegler

She had just been in court for dangerous driving so she's obviously not the bees knees behind the wheel of a car. I think it's ludicrous and if it was a male, he definitely would not have gotten off so lightly as there is huge emphasis on dangerous driving committed by males.

The court case in which she was acquitted of dangerous driving was this case i presume. So in fairness she had been acquitted in which case death by misadventure would make sense. However I dont know the ins and outs of the case and maybe the acquittal was unfair.

boogle wrote: »
    Make way for the Sarcasm Master and his/her acerbic wit! It must be lonely all the way up there on your ivory tower. So charitable of you to descend and grace us all with your wisdom.

No really. This is getting too much in this forum. Someone makes a typo or spells the odd word incorrectly and someone always jumps on them like the poster is some kind of dribbling simpleton. Now I hate reading posts written in txtspk or rambling posts without any kind of grammar or punctuation, but nobody's perfect for feck sake. Nobody likes a pedantic nitpicker.

It took you 9 minutes to type & spell-check this amount of text?!

• Advertisement

Smart Bug wrote: »
    It took you 9 minutes to type & spell-check this amount of text?!

What, can't find anything in my post to make a smartass comment about? Also, I'm not chained to my computer.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,647 ✭✭✭✭El Weirdo

Make way for the Sarcasm Master and his/her acerbic wit! It must be lonely all the way up there in your ivory tower. So charitable of you to descend and grace us all with your wisdom.

FYP:pac:

El Weirdo wrote: »
    FYP:pac:

[NERD]I was imagining a tower like Orthanc from LOTR, where Saruman can just stand up on a big flat platform at the very top and survey all that he commands. :D[/NERD]

• Registered Users Posts: 37,297 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

More info: http://www.rte.ie/news/2008/1117/fermoy.html
    Monday, 17 November 2008 21:16
    The trial of a Co Cork woman who is charged with dangerous driving causing death has been told that her car seemed to vanish in a cloud of smoke and dust after it crashed into a concrete pillar.

21-year-old Theresa Dingivan, from Pearse Square, Fermoy is pleading not guilty to a charge of dangerous driving causing the deaths of Michael Murphy and James Sexton at Strawhall, Fermoy on 5 August 2007.

The State alleges Theresa Dingivan lost control of the Honda Civic car she was driving when she overtook another car on a country road at Strawhall.
    Advertisement

The court was told that alcohol was not a factor in the case.

Witness Catriona Drislane told the jury of seven men and five woman that she was driving behind Theresa Dingivan's Honda Civic car just before it overtook another car, a Toyota Corolla.

She said she saw the Honda Civic overtake on the right-hand side of the road, attempting to pull in, in front of the Corolla, but loosing control, hitting a wall, and 'vanishing in a cloud of smoke and dust before stopping on the other side of the road'.

Garda Eugene Farrell, who answered the emergency call, described the 13-year-old Honda in which the two deceased and three others were travelling, as being almost in two halves, having sustained substantial damage to its right side.

Garda Vehicle Inspector Micheal O'Donovan told the court that while the right rear tyre of the car was badly worn, he was satisfied that it was not the cause of the accident.

While it needed replacing, the road was dry at the time, and there was no problem with traction, he said.

The case was adjourned until tomorrow morning when the findings of a survey carried out on the car on behalf of Ms Dingivan will be put to the Garda Vehcile Inspector.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,736 ✭✭✭tech77

What, can't find anything in my post to make a smartass comment about? Also, I'm not chained to my computer.

Your post was fine- no smarta$$ comments here.
    But WTF does "On your ivory tower" mean? ;)

tech77 wrote: »
    Your post was fine- no smarta$$ comments here.
    But WTF does "On your ivory tower" mean? ;)

The term Ivory Tower originates in the Biblical Song of Solomon (7,4), and was later used as an epithet for Mary.
    From the 19th century it has been used to designate a world or atmosphere where intellectuals engage in pursuits that are disconnected from the practical concerns of everyday life. As such, it usually carries pejorative connotations of a wilful disconnect from the everyday world; esoteric, over-specialized, or even useless research; and academic elitism, if not outright condescension. In American English usage it is a shorthand for academia or the university, particularly departments of the humanities.

Source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ivory_tower

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,330 ✭✭✭Gran Hermano

So to summarise, if you're a young male up on a dangerous driving charge your best bet is to have a sex-change before the court case and avail of the lesser punishments given to women?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,560 ✭✭✭Wile E. Coyote

The link the_syco posted says that she was over taking at the time. Looking at the picture on the link it's on a continuous white line and doesn't look like a place you could/should be over taking.

How could that not be classed as dangerous driving?

• Registered Users Posts: 768 ✭✭✭murfie

You cant argue the statistics, and 25% of deaths on the road are caused by young men! That's far more then any other age/gender demographic. So that is why there is more focus to get this group to be more conscience of their driving habits. Specific cases don't prove anything either way.

The term Ivory Tower originates in the Biblical Song of Solomon (7,4), and was later used as an epithet for Mary.
    From the 19th century it has been used to designate a world or atmosphere where intellectuals engage in pursuits that are disconnected from the practical concerns of everyday life. As such, it usually carries pejorative connotations of a wilful disconnect from the everyday world; esoteric, over-specialized, or even useless research; and academic elitism, if not outright condescension. In American English usage it is a shorthand for academia or the university, particularly departments of the humanities.

Getting quite het-up about this now? :D

Anyway, OT ->

I also express my moral outrage at this gross injustice etc etc

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,736 ✭✭✭tech77

Thanks.
    Were these guys on the roof or inside the tower?
    From that article, it looks like they might have been inside.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,489 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

Garda Vehicle Inspector Micheal O'Donovan told the court that while the right rear tyre of the car was badly worn, he was satisfied that it was not the cause of the accident.

While it needed replacing, the road was dry at the time, and there was no problem with traction, he said.

So the tyre was badly worn, needed replacing and was probably illegal if so worn and was not a factor?

She was knowingly driving a car with a dangerous/ defective componant. How does this not contribute to a manslaughter charge?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,560 ✭✭✭Wile E. Coyote

murfie wrote: »
    You cant argue the statistics, and 25% of deaths on the road are caused by young men! That's far more then any other age/gender demographic. So that is why there is more focus to get this group to be more conscience of their driving habits. Specific cases don't prove anything either way.

Can you provide a link to this statistic? I've seen one to show more young men are killed on the roads but not one that shows they are the sole cause of the accidents.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,647 ✭✭✭✭El Weirdo

So the tyre was badly worn, needed replacing and was probably illegal if so worn and was not a factor?

She was knowingly driving a car with a dangerous/ defective componant. How does this not contribute to a manslaughter charge?
    Because she has a fanny?

Edit: Wahaaay! 500th post! Glad it had the word "fanny" in it. Phew.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 261 ✭✭ben bedlam

Everyone knows women are terrible drivers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 44 Brouhaha

The simple fact is young men are involved in significantly more accidents on the roads than any other group of drivers. These accidents tend to be more severe/fatal. Some figures can be seen here.

Young men drive more than young women so this feeds into these numbers.

Aiming a safety campaigns at this group is the best use of a safety campaign as it can save the most lives. It's not sexist, it's appropriate.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,421 ✭✭✭major bill

Tougher laws need to be brought into the country for driving. used to see it all the time little ****bags overtaking you on a little country road thats in bits with potholes and the like.:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 14,547 ✭✭✭✭Poor Uncle Tom

El Weirdo got there first...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,575 ✭✭✭✭FlutterinBantam

Novella wrote: »
    "Death by misadventure"?! :rolleyes:

There is a reason for that actually.

Young males are the most dangerous class of driver on the road.

Statistics prove it.

That is the reason.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,561 Mod ✭✭✭✭Robbo

The link the_syco posted says that she was over taking at the time. Looking at the picture on the link it's on a continuous white line and doesn't look like a place you could/should be over taking.

How could that not be classed as dangerous driving?
    Dangerous causing death was the offence she was charged with in the trial last year. A jury found her not guilty of that offence.

The item in today's paper was in relation to the inquest, a separate matter altogether.

Advertisement