Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

She drives he dies!

Options
124»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,560 ✭✭✭Wile E. Coyote

Brouhaha wrote: »
    There's no way there would be any report as detailed. I don't think it's irrelevant though, men and women's inate characteristics don't differ from country to country. A sample quote from page 70 below will hold true in any country:

"Gregersen and Berg (1994) and Schulze (1990) have also related males' high traffic crash risk to a greater propensity to take risks in their everyday lives, in comparison to females."

That's not true of all males, the reverse can be true of some females, but over the entire population it's accurate and consequently dangerous on the roads.

Sorry, irrelevant wasn't the correct word to use. I'd just like to see a proper detailed report solely based on incidents that have occurred in Ireland. The RSA throw around other peoples figures and statistics without ever issuing a detailed report of there own to back it up.

Also, a quote from page 41:
    A study from western Australia (Ryan et al., 1998) revealed that female drivers aged 17-19 had a substantially lower number of crashes and crash rate per population than male drivers of the same age, although, when taking mileage into account, the difference disappeared and the risk per 100 million kilometres was the same for both sexes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,330 ✭✭✭Gran Hermano

DarkJager wrote: »
    As I provided to the BCC, here's a transcript of the advert detailing the discrimination in it:

Voice 1: To think they have the cheek to talk about women drivers (Blatantly sexist statement, ignores any safety faults with female drivers)
    Voice 2: When they're the dangerous ones? (Blatantly sexist, referring to all males as being dangerous drivers)
    Voice 3: And even worse its us girls that suffer for it (Making advert gender specific again, men are making women suffer is the general message)
    Voice 4: In Ireland most female road deaths
    Voice 5: Are caused by male drivers
    (Blatantly sexist regardless of stats, it says "male drivers" rather than advising of the condition or road habits of said driver)
    Voice 6: So it's time for all of us girls (Making advert gender specific)
    Voice 7: To put our foot down (Great line for a road safety advert I'm sure you'll agree)
    Voice 8: That means, the next time a fella wants to take you for a spin
    Voice 9: And you don't trust his driving
    Voice 10: Don't even think about it (These 3 lines sum up the message that should be portrayed)
    Voice 11: Because in too many collisons
    Voice 12: He drives,
    Voice 13: She dies
    . (Both lines sexist)

What irks me, and highlighted above, is how the RSA label all men as dangerous, not just young men.

• Registered Users Posts: 670 ✭✭✭C.D.

Talking from personal experience:

(people's personal experiences in this context really have zero correlation to national/international statistics as it only takes one crap driver to completely distort your perception due to the small sample size you have exposure to [i.e. you encounter 200-300 hundred drivers a day out of a few million])

I've found that young males tend to have good knowledge of the rules of the road and how they should behave, but they take stupid, and I mean stupid risks. They also seem to be more willing to flout traffic law.

The older generation appear to be particularly guilty of not being familiar with the rules of the road, or simply not caring enough. (as my mother, who is by far the most clueless driver I know, said about her never indicating on roundabouts or using the right lane, "I haven't had an accident in 20 years, therefore I'm a good driver")

Of course, I've plenty anecdotal evidence to back it up everything I've said, and shure isn't that as good as any fancy statistics??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,793 ✭✭✭✭Hagar

Do the girls a favour lads, let them walk home on their own or fork out for their own taxi. They'll thank you for it, trust me. ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,563 ✭✭✭segaBOY

Jeebus wrote: »
    Bet you a tenner the people behind it were all women. Fat ones, too.

Gold

• Advertisement
Advertisement