Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Students suffer due to greed. Have you say

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 227 ✭✭giveliberty

lil_cain wrote: »
    No idea offhand, I'm afraid. Drop Una Redmond a mail is probably the fastest way. I kind of assume it's on the internet somewhere, but I haven't a bulls where.

You were kind enough to acknowledge that successive Unions have issues with communication. Would it be too much to suggest to them that maybe if it wasn't so hard for their members to get this information people wouldn't believe the Union had a communication problem?

Seriously, I know they have nothing to hide, but the Union seems to be structured and operate in a way that it has.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 87 ✭✭lil_cain

You were kind enough to acknowledge that successive Unions have issues with communication. Would it be too much to suggest to them that maybe if it wasn't so hard for their members to get this information people wouldn't believe the Union had a communication problem?

Seriously, I know they have nothing to hide, but the Union seems to be structured and operate in a way that it has.

The Office of Student Life is not the Union. It's structure is not the Unions, and it's operation is not the Unions. The Union has 3/10 of the votes on its executive committee, but they are not the same thing.

I question which bit of the Union's structure is designed in such a way as to show the Union has something to hide? Or even it's day to day operations?

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭Cid-Highwind

Fantaman wrote: »
    Once more this year DCU has been one of very few colleges in Ireland to finish their year with a profit. This comes at the student expense of an overpriced Canteen and an on-campus shop that assaults students wallets.......
    The student union has failed in this regard so i pose the question.... what can be done??

I went to the protests two years ago. Me, and about 30 other students were there. More students walked by and went to spar anyway then actually joined in. If the students stand back do nothing theres **** all any union can do.

I don't mean that in a "you did nothing, it's your problem" kind of way, I mean it in a practical way. If the university believe that it's just a small minority of students who don't like the prices while the rest are still buying chicken rolls in spar they'll continue to believe that the prices are reasonable and affordable to students.

Not an awful lot I'd say, the DCU SU seems to dislike upsetting Ferdi at all. With a non-student manager of the Office of Student Life I don't think anything will change for a long time.

The person to whom you refer manages staff, accounts etc., and does an excellent job of it. She does not vote on the Union policy.
    Fantaman wrote: »
    Keegan was a big part of the SU last year where there were no real changes so i cant see him being inspirational.

Not true, he was involved in Societies, and played no major role in last years SU.
    Class Council are required to inspect the proposed budget. They can accept or reject it, but not modify it.
    http://life.dcu.ie/committees/minutes/6/110

11.1.2 The Budget shall be submitted to Council at its first meeting of the year for approval or rejection, but not modification.

11.1.3 Should Council reject the Budget, the Executive shall modify the Budget and re-present the Budget to Council at its next meeting.

That's common sense. 50 people arguing in a room would never reach an agreement. What it means in practise is that the executive would have to listen to the objections of the class reps and present a budget that was more acceptable to them at the next meeting.
    Well does the Union have any commercial services other than Ticket Master and events? They get a cut from the bar profit I would imagine? Bar their budget allocation - do they have any other forms of income?

The union has no commercial services. I don't know what the cut on ticket sales is specifically, but overall the SU reception makes a loss on the services offered there

The union may make a profit on the occasional event, but overall events are hugely subsidised. Events is one of the SU's biggest expenditures.
    Does the Union publish it's accounts - or does it just outline a budget at Class Council and that's the last people hear of it?

The union publishes audited accounts at the end of each financial year. These are a matter of public record, and you can request a copy, but tbh they're fairly boring. I can sum it up by saying they spend most of the money on events, staff, campus magazine & SU reception.

The SU Pres was on here regularly when he was looking for votes...would be nice if he dropped in and cleared up some of this...otherwise i will start wishing i voted for the other guy...

If only you'd bribed an extra 70 people to vote for me ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39 LongLiveQ&A

The person to whom you refer manages staff, accounts etc., and does an excellent job of it. She does not vote on the Union policy.

I think the line is a little more blurred than you'd like to make out. Just because someone does not control Union policy directly does not mean that their influence is not felt in the decisions of the union. I'm not attacking the person, I'm saying that the influence that the holder of that position is allowed is too much.

• Advertisement

I think the line is a little more blurred than you'd like to make out. Just because someone does not control Union policy directly does not mean that their influence is not felt in the decisions of the union. I'm not attacking the person, I'm saying that the influence that the holder of that position is allowed is too much.

Perhaps it is more blurred. If I had someone in the next office who had witnessed the successes and failures of previous X students' unions of course I would ask their advice sometimes. Hell, I feel to not try and learn from, and improve on, the union's past mistakes is plain stupidity, bordering on negligence and incompetence.

None of this however translates into an over influence.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39 LongLiveQ&A

Perhaps it is more blurred. If I had someone in the next office who had witnessed the successes and failures of previous X students' unions of course I would ask their advice sometimes. Hell, I feel to not try and learn from, and improve on, the union's past mistakes is plain stupidity, bordering on negligence and incompetence.

None of this however translates into an over influence.

Well I have to say that I respectfully disagree, and I'll leave it there because we obviously aren't going to agree anytime soon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,487 ✭✭✭aDeener

If only you'd bribed an extra 70 people to vote for me ;)

Fuck that, them votes should have headed morts way. he would sort this shambles of a university out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 Tony.Time

aDeener wrote: »
    Fuck that, them votes should have headed morts way. he would sort this shambles of a university out.

>> TROLL >>

Let's not sully a good thread with alleged GAA financed attempt at a veto coup d’état.

Advertisement