Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Was Just In Lidl.

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Mr Benevolent

I find Aldi better, but use Tesco most of the time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,919 ✭✭✭✭Gummy Panda

I'm a major carnivore. Not a big fan of the selection of meat they have there. Every time I go in I end up buying an air mattress or some new screw drivers or something handy like that (and they're always a bargain) but I wouldn't do much food shopping there. Their electronics seem to be pretty good quality too. I don't like to eat processed food so most of the bargains are lost on me. They have some good free range meats though that are very cheap and the sandwich fillers are decent.

For meat you can't beat a decent butchers. I've even seen wholesale butchers were you buy the meat in bulk now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 711 ✭✭✭Dr_Phil

jaffa20 wrote: »
    I prefer tesco over lidl now. I'd only go to lidl for beer or fruit and veg. Tesco has massively lowered their prices and about time.
    Apparently. I shop once a week/5days and every time I go to Tesco I pay well over a 100e. If I go to Lidl (for a change) I don't go above 70e for buying usually the same stuff.

Magic?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 12,333 ✭✭✭✭JONJO THE MISER

Its only 50c in tesco! :D

Yeah but i can imagine it tastes like crap, the one in lidl is made by a bakery in Newry and tastes just like brennans bread, very high quality.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,068 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

phasers wrote: »
    Has anyone tried those "tiger" loaves in Tesco? They're these big loaves of proper crunchy bread and they're only a euro. I just had some there, it was still warm and all.

Savage.

Completely lacks any flavor of tiger but it's not bad

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,159 ✭✭✭✭phasers

Completely lacks any flavor of tigers but it's not bad
    I spread some "I can't believe it's not tiger" on it to give it a bit of a kick

Has anyone tried those "tiger" loaves in Tesco? They're these big loaves of proper crunchy bread and they're only a euro. I just had some there, it was still warm and all.

Savage.

My local Dunnes has Poppy seed loaf for 1 euro at the moment, its the nicest bread ever, great for sandwiches:).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,619 ✭✭✭Bob_Harris

Lidl and Aldi for veg, sweets, orange/apple juice, coke, some sweet breads, random electronics and screwdriver sets.

SuperValue for meat (usually get any kind of meat on special offer any time of the day)

Sometimes Dunnes for all of the above

**** Tesco, filthy ****hole.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,909 ✭✭✭✭Wertz

Savage.

Yeah those are top notch...I thnk I'm addicted. Keeps a lot longer than the french loaves and that other in store bake bread as well.

Haven't been in aldi/lidl in ages...used to get stuff for packed lunches there but with work the way it is, not much call for that...plus every time I go in to the places I end up leaving with cheap DIY/electronics stuff that I really don't need.
    +1 on using your shopping bags as a carry basket BTW...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,350 ✭✭✭skywalker_208

Abigayle wrote: »
    What pisses me off about Lidl is there are no baskets. I don't want a big fcuk off trolley thank you, and I don't want to carry around my 5 or 6 items in a box either.

That annoys me too. I never get a trolley - but usually stop to get 10 - 15 items like fruit veg etc. hate having to carry armfulls around.
    Think they said somewhere it is to reduce costs? - Although I imagine I would walk around more and probably buy more in one visit if I had a basket...

ps - i get the Hovis Wholegrain for €1.45 in Lidl (expensive I know but its v nice :) ) Think its nearer €2 in Tesco/Dunnes

• Advertisement

Why don't you get a trolley?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,350 ✭✭✭skywalker_208

Coz I usually just want to pop in and out as quickly as possible on my way home from work..... without the hassle of dragging a trolley around...

+ not very practical if your only getting a few items.

Fair enough, shopping bags ftw then

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,619 ✭✭✭Bob_Harris

Just use a heavy reusable bag as a basket.

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭randypriest

Yeah, but Tesco have taken most of the Irish made goods off their shelves and are importing English sh1te now.

As opposed to the wonderful selection of Irish goods on display in Lidl/Aldi.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,523 ✭✭✭jaffa20

Basket thing doesn't really bother me. I just use one of their empty boxes.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭YFlyer

I was in the Lidl, Dublin Road, Limerick last week. While I was in the queue four knackers walked in picked up a bottle of spirit of some sort and then walked out without paying.

The security guard went missing for that period.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭loismustdie

hey guys, i get a lot or stuff in aldi too, would be my main supermarket id say but hav to point out somethin very important. a lot of cheaper items in tesco or aldi etc especially breads, yoghurts and cakes have terrible ingreadients in them such as trans fats, extra e numbers etc. don't get me wrong, a lot don't and i still shop there just that it's worth comparin them against the proper brands and then make up your mind which you'd rather buy.

i was never snobby bout any supermarket and always shopped in lidle etc or bought tesco value but one day ended up comparin a pack of bikkies to a "proper brand" for saturated fat etc and was really shocked, so might be worth lookin into

As opposed to the wonderful selection of Irish goods on display in Lidl/Aldi.

:rolleyes:I think you will find that the vast majority of all there meats breads and biscuts are made in Ireland.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,191 ✭✭✭✭Latchy

Were I live and within a two mile radius we have the following stores Sainsburys , Asda ,Tescos , Aldi ,Lidl, Morrisons and although I / we do most of the shopping at Tescos or Asda , I still pop into the others to see what's on offer .There are bargains to be had in Aldi and Lidl for food , beer/wine and other household stuff . The Asda store is very much built on the walmart stores in America .........Huge .

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 473 ✭✭newmills

Savage.

If i could thank you a thousand times i would - possibly the greatest loaf in the world....ever!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,150 ✭✭✭kumate_champ07

Tesco have stopped selling boxes of Bachelors Marrowfat peas, what's up with that?

most of the people who usually buy them have all prob passed away by now

• Registered Users Posts: 24,009 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

It wos all them marrowfat peas wot did it:eek:

Latchy wrote: »
    Were I live and within a two mile radius we have the following stores Sainsburys , Asda ,Tescos , Aldi ,Lidl, Morrisons and although I / we do most of the shopping at Tescos or Asda , I still pop into the others to see what's on offer .There are bargains to be had in Aldi and Lidl for food , beer/wine and other household stuff . The Asda store is very much built on the walmart stores in America .........Huge .

Ive been to walmart, Asda is exactly the same, except they dont have a mc donalds at the entrance. Walmart owns Asda anyway.

I think Aldi has some stores in America under a different name, Tesco tried to expand to there but Im not sure they did good. I could be wrong

Take that back, a Sunday dinner is nothing without marrowfat peas to mix up with your mashed potato

I do yellow sticker shopping in tesco, in some stores they dont have them all in the one place.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,641 ✭✭✭zero19

newmills wrote: »
    If i could thank you a thousand times i would - possibly the greatest loaf in the world....ever!!!!
    QFT Me rikey very much

I do yellow sticker shopping in tesco, in some stores they dont have them all in the one place.

:eek: Oh sweet Divine, you do know thats only meant for dogs and cats dont you?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,191 ✭✭✭✭Latchy

Ive been to walmart, Asda is exactly the same, except they dont have a mc donalds at the entrance. Walmart owns Asda anyway.
    That is correct ,they do indeed although were I am there is a McDonalds just 500 yards form the Asda store .
    I think Aldi has some stores in America under a different name, Tesco tried to expand to there but Im not sure they did good. I could be wrong
    I did read that and there was a item on one of the American news channals recently about that very thing ie, Tescos trying to branch into States under different name . I think Tescos made massive profits last year to despite the recession .I like to collect the club card points when shopping there .

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6 Ortho Stice

Acacia wrote: »
    I had a good laugh at the cheapo brands, like instead of ''Wash and Go'' shampoo they had ''Wash and Leave''.:D

And their 'Cup of Soup' instead of 'Cup-o-soup' or whatever it was...

Oh how we laughed :pac:

Advertisement