Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

4 Weddings, 2 Full and 3 Half Marathons

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,526 ✭✭✭Killerz

Monday 22nd June

Usual 10k home from work - c. 45 minutes. Nothing too fast, just putting a few k's in the boots!

Wednesday 24th June

10k home again after a really long day at work. Feeling it on this run - 47 minutes. Will need to get some rest in if I am to realise the achill goal.

Saturday 27th June

Epic drinking session last night, consoling myself as Mrs-Killerz-to-be went off on her hen weekend. A day playing a tag-rugby blitz in Belvedere - 4 games on a horrigble hangover. Was very tough going.

Sunday 28th June

Hangover still.... hanging over me. Very stiff all over after the tag yesterday. Now contemplating an hour long run to keep myself in good working order for next saturday's achill extravaganza. Really dont feel like running today tho.... i'll see how it goes...

Sunday 28th June

Did a 6 miler this evening - very tough with the stiffness from yesterday - took 52 minutes. Every step hurt, it was pretty awful. Got to try out a new isotonic energy gel tho (SIS tropical). went smoothly enough - no issues. not 100% sure if it did anything for me (would be used to Powerbar gel).

Tuesday 30th June

Bring H1 2009 to a close with a 10k home from work (53 and half minutes, mostly uphill). Still very stiff from rugby on saturday. hope these slow runs will loosen me up, and at the same time, keep me relatively rested for Saturday's race, which i am looking forward to immensely now.

Wrapping up H1 2009:

Races done:

Raheny 5 - 32:37 (PB)
    Paddys Day 5k - 19:25 (PB)
    Connemara Half - 1:32:47 (PB)
    Great Ireland Run - 40:24 (PB)
    Cork Marathon - 3:25:48 (PB)

1 wedding attended.

Targets H2 2009:

Achill Half Marathon, July 2009 - 1:29:59 (Could be asking a lot!)
    Irish Runner Challenge 5 mile, July 2009 - 31:00
    Dublin Half Marathon, September - 1:29:00
    Dublin Marathon, October - 3:15:00

3 weddings to attend, one of which is my own!

Saturday, 4th July

Achill Half Marathon - Tough and demaning race, with plenty of hills. Enjoyed myself nonetheless, and was able to stick to 6 min 50 sec miles most of the way through, slipping a little towards the end, but pulling together a fast 1.1 mile to take myself through in 1 hour, 29 min and 34 secs by the watch, which was inside target time.

Delighted with that. Wasnt sure if i was going to make the sub 1:30, but really glad that i pushed myself that last bit to get there.

Tuesday 7th July

Nice "warm-down" run from achill - no watch or nothing, just taking it nice and easy home. Tiring!

Wednesday 8th July

Signed up for DCM 2009 today.

Thursday 9th July

A little bit faster running home from work today. 10k in 48 minutes - slow enough, still getting back into the swing of things. Some speed training to be done next week in advance of the Phoenix Park 5 miler. Got my race number for that today, so the preparation for that will be done early next week.

Its my stag this Friday until Sunday - watch out Cork City!!

Monday, 13th July

Back from the stag yesterday afternoon - if anyone spotted a mankini or brazilian football squad in Cork at the weekend, you'll have an idea of how it went.

So, the prep for Saturday's 5 miler begins - went for 5.5 mile run today. Very tough after the weekend in question. Just outside 40 minutes, even-enough paced, but had to stop and walk twice as felt like was going to be sick. Am aiming for something a good bit better this weekend.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,051 ✭✭✭MCOS

Well done on the recent marathon Killerz. Just noticed you popped in a 3'14 target for DM same as me, so I'll be keeping an eye on this log. I'll start Marathon training Sept 15 so hopefully I'll be close to your training paces then ;)

Best of luck by the way!

MCOS wrote: »
    Well done on the recent marathon Killerz. Just noticed you popped in a 3'14 target for DM same as me, so I'll be keeping an eye on this log. I'll start Marathon training Sept 15 so hopefully I'll be close to your training paces then ;)

Best of luck by the way!

Thanks MCOS - it really will be asking a lot for me to manage that time, given my upcoming wedding (and honeymoon!), but thats what I'm aiming for, and I have a month and a half when I come back prior to the marathon. It'll be one of those things that I'll know on the day if it's a goer or not.

Best of luck with your prep also.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,144 ✭✭✭Bally8

Killerz wrote: »

Wrapping up H1 2009:

Races done:

Raheny 5 - 32:37 (PB)
    Paddys Day 5k - 19:25 (PB)
    Connemara Half - 1:32:47 (PB)
    Great Ireland Run - 40:24 (PB)
    Cork Marathon - 3:25:48 (PB)

Well done Killerz you must be delighted with all those PBs

Bally8 wrote: »
    Well done Killerz you must be delighted with all those PBs

Thanks a mil Bally8. I'm hoping its early days in my running career and i can continue to build on my progress. Great motivation reading these pages and training logs - hopefully will spur me on to further PBs.

Wednesday 15th July

Last training run before the 5 miler in phoenix park on saturday. 10k home from work in just over 46 minutes. Tough going - i think that the weather is quite humid aswell these days, and this is affecting my training.

All set for saturday now - hopefully see a few boardsies knocking around!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,659 ✭✭✭tisnotover

Wednesday 15th July

Last training run before the 5 miler in phoenix park on saturday. 10k home from work in just over 46 minutes. Tough going - i think that the weather is quite humid aswell these days, and this is affecting my training.

All set for saturday now - hopefully see a few boardsies knocking around!

Best of luck in 5mile tomorrow Killerz!

Just following your log now and that Achill half marathon time is impressive for a tough course.
    A nice set of PB's there for first half of year as well+that was a great time in Cork for marathon...

Saturday, 18th July - 5 Mile, Phoenix Park

Had set a target of 31 minutes for this earlier on this month. Felt coming up to it this week that it wasn't going to be on, and that even beating my PB in Raheny 5 of 32:37 would be a big ask.

Was in good form this morning tho, and said i'd give it a fair lash. Spent a good amount of time getting around people for the first half mile or so. I dont have exact splits, but hit Mile 1 at about 5.50, then Mile 2 at 12 mins, Mile 3 at 19 mins, Mile 4 at around 25.30 and then came home in 31.29 (all stopwatch times).

What did I learn from this race? I think I am more of an endurance runner, rather than a speed runner, and without serious focus on shorter distances, I am not likely to make significant improvements. Maybe today is a consequence of recent boozing and eating?

All said, still happy with 31.29 vs 37.28 last year (when I had only been running a couple of months). This is the first race I have ever done twice, so it was interesting to compare.

Monday 20th July

5 miler out of the way, DCM training gets underway in earnest.:eek:

12k home involving slow hill from hell- from Shelbourne stadium at bottom of Grace Park Road up to Griffith Avenue, left out to Swords Road, up by Airport Hotel, right into Whitehall and on towards Beaumont. 51:33 for 12k - not too bad I think.

Finding the heat these days is affecting my comfort.

Wednesday 22nd July

7k lunch run incorporating fast 5k (flat course). 5k in 20:28, slowing up to come in for the 7k at bang on 29 minutes. Good to be back to the lunchtime runs again.

Time for a new pair of runners I think.

Thursday 24th July

13k home from work in 58:02. Works out at just under 4 and a half minutes per km. Pleased enough about that, but still finding things tough.

Saturday 26th July

20.5km in middle of the day. Quite warm. Longest run in a while. Time 1hr 42 mins. Just under 5 minutes per km. Once again, pleased enough with the time, but found it tough enough. Think i may be lacking iron - seems to be a common runner problem. Bought some iron tablets, so hopefully issue will rectify itself.

U2 tonight - gonna try stay off the booze.

New pair of runners purchased, have given them 2 outings (see below), and am happy!:)

Monday 27th July

Run home from work, 9.5k. Didn't take a watch with me, but think it was c.45 minutes or so. Pleasant enough gallop, wasnt too concerned on time.

Wednesday 29th July

Speedy session at lunchtime at work today. Did my usual 7k loop, concentrating initially on the first 5k - did that in 19 mins 40 seconds - delighted with that, back into the groove again. Finished it off then by rounding the full 7k off to 27 minutes and 20 seconds.

After a tough enough last couple of weeks motivational-wise, it was good to get back to best again.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,032 ✭✭✭rigal

New pair of runners purchased, have given them 2 outings (see below), and am happy!:)

I love getting new runners.. where'd you get them, New Balance again?

Good to see you're flying it again! :)

rigal wrote: »
    I love getting new runners.. where'd you get them, New Balance again?

Good to see you're flying it again! :)

Thanks Rigal.... Went for a pair of Brooks Adrenaline this time - thats what the guy in A-King recommended, and they felt very comfy. A fine pair of what look like silver bullets.

Thursday 30th July

10k home in a nice, pleasant 47.30. No records being broken or anything, but felt good.

Think (a) the new runners (b) the iron supplements (c) less stress at work and (d) the consistency of recent training are of great help.

Friday 31st July

Joined Northwood Gym - 200 e's annual membership - cant argue with that. Cross-training here I come! I most likely wont be using it more than twice a week, but I think it will still pay dividends if I only use it that much.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,080 ✭✭✭BeepBeep67

Got to try out a new isotonic energy gel tho (SIS tropical). went smoothly enough - no issues. not 100% sure if it did anything for me (would be used to Powerbar gel).

Got a bunch of these in Tesco's, our survey says errr errr, rotten, had to dilute them to last to make them palatable.

Saturday, 1st August

Longish training run today - 16.5 miles in 2:07:47. Puts me ahead of where I was at that stage of training for Cork. Encouraged by that performance on what was a tough day with sun, rain and strong wind.

• Advertisement

Tuesday 4th April

10 miler home from work today. Had to make up for a couple of days away from the runners, two nights out on a session over the bank holiday weekend.

70:42 for the 10 miles, in what was relatively warm weather. Happy with that.

Thursday 6th April

Usual once a week lunchtime 7k today (just under 27 minutes) speed work.

Went to the my new gym for the first time, spent some time on the cross trainer, bike and in the pool. Nice to do something different. Looking forward to doing 1 or 2 sessions a week there.

Friday 7th April

10k home in 48 odd minutes. Relatively slow today, taking it slightly easier after my exertions yesterday.

Sunday 9th April

20.3 miles from Artane up along the coast inc. Bull Island and up around the hill of howth and back with one of the lads. Tough run albeit at a manageable pace - 3 hours and 4 minutes, or c. 9 minute, 10 second miles. Objective today was putting the hours in, so it was well served.

For him, it was ideal preparation for the forthcoming no-doubt-hill-featuring dingle marathon. For me, it was my second long run in advance of the Dublin Marathon (16.5 miles run last weekend, 20.3 miles run this weekend), and as such it served a great purpose.

Monday 10th April

Small amount of core work in the gym.

Tuesday 11th April

10 k home from work in just over 48 minutes. Warm evening.

Thursday 13th April

9 miles in 72 minutes. Tough enough as had a few beers the night before.

Friday 14th April

Wedding Number 2 of 2009's 4 weddings.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,144 ✭✭✭Bally8

Hi Killerz hope you enjoyed the wedding. All this running and weddings must be messing with your head -April? :-)

Bally8 wrote: »
    Hi Killerz hope you enjoyed the wedding. All this running and weddings must be messing with your head -April? :-)

I thoroughly enjoyed the wedding, Bally8. Its my own wedding this Friday tho, so not much relaxation time in advance of that!

Sunday 16th August

20 miler loop inc. Howth head - the usual long training run. Came in in 2 hrs 41 mins - slightly over 8 minute miles. Feel like i'm back in the marathon LSR groove again.

Have got married since last post and am now a husband. Out in Dubai - said i'd try and keep the log going while away. Mrs Killerz is sunbathing out by the pool so i said i'd nip away and get posting.

Training has been sporadic in recent couple of weeks, but here goes:

Monday 17th August

Gym work - bike, cross trainer and core work.
    Will eventually get a fitness assessment and program in place to monitor progress.

Tuesday 18th August

10k training run in Raheny. No watch, just running for the fun of it.

Friday 21st August

Killerz gets married

===========
    First week of honeymoon - campervan around west cork and south coast.
    ===========

Tuesday 25th August

c. 8k run around some forest on the outskirts of Glengariff - tough going after a week off training. Just over 37 minutes on a difficult course.

Wednesday 26th August

10k around some beaches in Garretstown, near Kinsale in Cork. 46 minutes.

Friday 28th August

Quick 2 mile morning run - nothing worth talking about really.

Perhaps its just post-wedding exhaustion, but may have to revise half and full marathon targets for later on this year. A lot will depend on the Dublin Half, which isnt that far away at this stage!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,378 ✭✭✭asimonov

Congrats to the killerzses.

Back from honeymoon now.

Following the below post, I kept some light training up for the second two weeks of the honeymoon, visiting the gym every 2-3 days for 3-5 miles on the treadmill and 30 mins bike/ cross trainer machine each time. Nothing too strenuous, just wanted to keep something going. Something to offset the glorious buffet dinners... and lunches... and breakfasts.

Back to business:

Friday 11th September

Threw myself back in to Dublin Marathon training with a 20 miler. Time: 2 hours, 54 minutes. Thats about 14 minutes slower than my my usual for that distance, but I expected it, given the effects of the honeymoon, and 22 hours of travelling the day before. Run really took it out of me.

Will do a shorter run this weekend (c. 14 miles) and then the half marathon the following weekend in Phoenix Park, followed by two 20-21 milers in advance of DCM.

• Advertisement

Monday 14th September

8 mile run - 56:57. Happy with that, i reckon the rest & relaxation over the honeymoon period has renewed my enthusiasm for the running. Relatively flat terrain.

Wednesday 16th September

10k home - 46:28. Back to the grindstone again. Another pleasant run. Will be starting to ramp things up a bit next week.

Thursday 17th September

16.75k/ 40 minutes on the stationary bikes in the gym. Flat terrain setting. Some core strength work aswell.

Advertisement