Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

4 Weddings, 2 Full and 3 Half Marathons

• 08-05-2009 10:16pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,526 ✭✭✭

Yes, that’s it – 2009 has a lot packed in! One of the four weddings is my own (in August), so I’ve that, and a honeymoon to factor in time-wise. I’ve been reading logs here for a while now, and debated whether to put my own up, so here goes nothing….

To give some background: I am 28 y.o. male. Started running properly back just over one year ago, when I was training to do one leg of the Cork Marathon relay. Bug bit after that, and did the Adidas Race Series (5 mile: 37m; 10 mile: 1hr 17m; 13 mile around 1 hr 37m); and DCM last year (time was 3 hrs 48 and change).

I have completed the Raheny 5 (32 odd minutes), Paddy’s Day 5k (19:25), Connemara Half
    (1:32:47) and the Great Ireland Run (40:24) to date this year.

Socially, I have a hectic schedule for the year – wedding in Italy in late May, 2 weddings (including my own) in mid August, and one the Friday prior to the DCM in October. Added to the stresses of wedding prep is a job that certainly throws any traditional “9 to 5” notions out the window.

The 2 marathons planned are Cork in June (aiming for anything better than DCM really, but ideally sub 3:40) and Dublin in October (aiming for around 3:30). Why not aiming for any better? Answer - weddings, honeymoon, work and foreign trips affecting training. Hopefully I will go better, but i'll know closer to each one how i'm getting on.

The remaining 2 half marathons are Achill in July and Dublin in September. Would dearly love a sub 1:30 in either or both.

Those target times really depend on workload, ability to train etc

Am currently at peak training phase for Cork having done 16.5m, 20.5m, 21m and 19m over the past few weekends, together with varied 4-9 mile runs at higher speeds during week after work or lunchtime.

As I’ve rambled on a bit here, I’ll keep some more tidbits for what I hope will be regular posts over the coming months. Looking forward to feedback/ advice/ hints etc.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,551 ✭✭✭chinguetti

Killerz, sounds like you'll be busy for the next while so the best of luck with the marathons, half marathons and the nuptials

Doing Cork myself and did Raheny, Paddys 5 K and Connemara half so i'm sure we have met on a road at some point. :)

How are you set for Cork and hows been training going?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,032 ✭✭✭rigal

Best of luck Killerz, hope the training is going well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,526 ✭✭✭Killerz

Thanks chinguetti. you've been busy yourself by the looks of things. did another long run today - 21 miles in 2 hr 50. had hoped for 22 miles today but the wind in my face coming down along the coast from sutton to raheny and onto bull island was absolutely horrendous, so i changed my route slightly and finished up at 21. felt pretty okay after it. the route incorporates a circuit of howth head tho, so i think it will stand me in good stead for cork. got sunburnt aswell, strangely enough.

one more long run now before taper.

whats your target time for cork? have you done this/ other 'thons before?

This is my first marathon and running about 15 months so the plan when i started was under 4 hrs but according to my training, i might get close to 3 hrs 45 but it all depends on the day. i mainly want to finish and enjoy the .2 of a mile down Patrick Street.

I've done the route from Raheny up Howth Hill and back a couple of times and the seafront from Sutton to Raheny is plain awful into the wind. Its good training for a long boring stretch like the Carrighane Straight though in Cork. 21 mins at that pace is round 3.38 if my figures are right so that good going.

i do my long runs in the Phoenix Park to run on the grass as find it easier on my legs.

Anyway, safe running Killerz

7k lunchtime run today in the sun (and wind) out by Sandymount. Quite satisfied with 28 mins. Trying to get those speedy short runs in during the week and then slow it down and stretch it out a bit at the weekend.

Finding my recovery times from the long 20 mile runs over the weekend are shortening considerably. Once I get over the first 20 minutes after the run (when I feel like my calves are likely to explode), all is well.

10-12k tomorrow evening all things going well - interspersing the run with short, fast 1 minute bursts into it.

Getting excited about Cork now, indeed am looking forward to hopefully seeing a few of the Boards legends there. Already dreaming up the mp3 playlist.....

• Advertisement

Nice bit of sunshine there yesterday - glad i took advantage of it, what with the rain today. got in a 12k speedy run. slightly worried i may have put a little strain on my left foot tho - hit it with a nice footbath there earlier.

day off training today (a little bit of weights/ exercise work done). 10k moderate pace tomorrow all going well.

Horrible day in work today, followed by a tough run (only 9k, but a killer). I know the next couple of weeks or so are going to be 10-hour-a-day jobs, really hope that it doesnt impact my performance significantly.

Last long run this saturday - 20 miles (with the last 10.3k incorporating the Calcutta Run in the Phoenix Park). I'll be the one wearing the camelpak with other runners no doubt wondering why i need it for a 10k run, so say hi if you see me!

Doing the Calcutta Run myself but at a reduced pace as have a longish run on Sunday. As it will be wet, i'll be wearing my yellow jacket and white top but if i see a camelpak, i'll bid you a greeting!

Hope the long hours don't cause too much hassle to your goals for Cork.

Well, horrible weather yesterday for my Calcutta Run prelude (14 miles), but cleared up a bit for the Calcutta Run itself (6.4 miles). Set out from Artane at 20 past 12 on my last long run before the Cork Marathon (total would be 20.4 miles, altho had only intended to do 19.5 miles... more on that later....

hit the usual nasty headwinds coming down the coast in clontarf, altho that can only help me in the long run i suppose. zig-zagged in and out of raheny and clontarf to build up the mileage on the way to blackhall place for the start of the Calcutta Run (due to start at 2pm).

made my way across griffith avenue and down thru phibsboro and grangegorman to arrive just before 2pm. 13.1 miles done, 1 hour 37 min. no real sign of race starting just yet, so went off for a bit of a slow jog to stay warm for just under 10 mins.

Came back around and race had started, so i joined in the peloton, and worked my way up thru the traffic. finished the race itself (10.3km) in 46:49. Total run was 20.4 miles, time just under 2hrs 34 mins (average 7:30minute miles). Delighted with that. Feeling good for Cork now. Though I drank many beers and had a significant amount of pizza after the race.

If i could somehow keep up that pace for the remaining 5.8 miles for the marathon, i would be sub 3h 20, but realistically, that may be asking a lot, so will aim at 3h 30m and see how things go on the day!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,120 ✭✭✭Gringo78

Killerz wrote: »
    Total run was 20.4 miles, time just under 2hrs 34 mins (average 7:30minute miles). Delighted with that. Feeling good for Cork now. Though I drank many beers and had a significant amount of pizza after the race.

Great last long run, you're well prepared for the marathon. I'm sure you'd be well able for 7:30 a mile on marathon day after a 2 week taper.

• Advertisement

Gringo78 wrote: »
    Great last long run, you're well prepared for the marathon. I'm sure you'd be well able for 7:30 a mile on marathon day after a 2 week taper.

Thanks Gringo78 - who knows? I see from your log that you have been busy yourself - best of luck with taper.

Hoping to keep up a decent level of fitness and diet over the next two weeks now. Did a fast 10k yesterday home from work to keep up the speed (and work off at least a slice of the aforementioned pizza).

Also working on some stretches etc over the past few weeks, so will keep them up. May even get some swimming in while over in italy on holiday next week. Am also bringing my runners so that i may take in some of the tuscan countryside - an excellend prelude to Cork!

Still going strong. back from a nice dinner out and a few beers. why not?

weds nite did a 12k run in 50 minutes, so all still goin well for cork . however, feelin a little bit of a strain on upper left foot. all good walking tho. the hard work now done for cork.

bring on the tuscan countryside.

cork - we must exchange race numbers for the big one next monday - would love to meet a few of ye en route!!!! looking forward to a bit of banter!

Enjoy the warm weather tapering Killerz and you could bring a bit of nice sunshine but not too hot for Cork back with you.

I see from nightowl84's log that your number 554, well i'm 555 but from reading your log, you'll be a bit further up the road from me on the day.

Thanks Chinguetti - hope i havent built up my chances too much with this log... as i say... just trying to do my best on the day, gonna see how i feel, and try and settle into the groove.

Did a half - decent run yesterday of 8.1 miles (57 mins), and will do 6 miles tomorrow all going well before i fly out to italy on tuesday. then hoping to do 1 or 2 x 30 minute runs in italy (prob weds and fri) all going well, to keep limber for monday.

Will hopefully get a chance to post on boards when i come back on saturday, before setting out for cork on sunday.

Nice 50 minute evening run today. last significant run before cork.

nearly there.....

Back from a nice trip to italy. Of course i had more beers than i had planned, and ate worse than planned.... more pizza than pasta. hopefully didnt undo too much of my good training. i dont think i'll really know where i'm at until monday morning in terms of expected time. all said tho, had a great holiday, and the few days away from work probably did me no harm.

got 2 x 25 minute runs in on weds and friday in italy just to keep myself limber for monday. this is my last post prior to the Cork City Marathon, so would like to wish everyone else doing it the best of luck on monday aswell.

see you down there!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 158 ✭✭Nightowl84

Hi Killerz,

Sounds like the Italian taper went well, you can't beat Italy, beautiful country.

I'm number 1155 by the way,

Best of luck on Monday,

Bring on the heat:eek:

Back on the sofa after a long, long day!

Had a nightmare sleep last night - 3 and a half hours. hit the start line at 9, wasnt feeling too bad.

Miles 1-2 were slow enough, had a bit of a stitch in my shoulder, but that ironed itself out as i got to the first water station, and i started to feel good. Noticed a digital display on a building reading 18 degrees celsius - at 9:20 in the morning!

Really got into my stride then around mile 5 (37 mins), and approaching the first relay changeover. Pushed on and into the Jack Lynch tunnel and out the other side. was feeling the heat a little bit now.

Up the slip road and past what i think was mahon point shopping centre and on along past miles 9-10. Passed the next relay changeover - the cheers at all changeovers were fantastic. the heat by now was really getting to me, as i passed up the hill past blackrock castle.

Then, finally into the shade along by the river - beautiful. This probably helped my recovery from the sun. hit halfway at 1hr 38 or so and then pushed on towards the next relay changeover where my fiancee had my head-sweat-band at the ready.

This headband seemed to give a lot of passers-by a laugh - mustve looked a bit daft on my head alrite.

Down the link road then or whatever its called, and up the slipway. Uh-oh - stitch. Pushed on anyhow, drinking lots of water and a bit of lucozade. Eventually got to the Lough - which was nice. Stitch now gone, thank God.

Then there was a quick steep uphill, long slow downhill and then a killer uphill. (i think that was the order), before finally going downhill and onto the last relay stage. was wrecked now, and knew i would need to walk a little to regain composure. endeavoured to put this off for as long as possible tho.

and onto the last 6 or so miles. i did this relay stage last year, and therefore knew exactly what was coming. nasty hill around model farm road, then a long straight road into the city. slowed to a walk a couple of times to conserve energy for a minute or so, and knew at that stage that sub 3h 30m was in the offing.

Pushed on, saw a couple of ambulances attending to people, which wasnt nice. Then over the bridge and in home in 3 hours, 25 mins and 46 seconds by my watch.

Some stretching then done, followed by an eddie rockets, pint bottle of bulmers and train home to dublin.....

ahhhh....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 158 ✭✭Nightowl84

Well done yesterday Killerz,

Great time, that was some savage running in less than ideal conditions.

Well done Killerz on going under 3.30 and getting there through the pain. Makes all the effort worth it i hope

• Advertisement

Thanks chinguetti - a little bit stiff today in the legs (mustnt have done enough stretching afterwards), but have the day off work, so it could be worse!

Will take a few days off the running now until at least the weekend, and then start thinking about the achill half marathon in early July.

Howd you get on yourself?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,120 ✭✭✭Gringo78

Pushed on, saw a couple of ambulances attending to people, which wasnt nice. Then over the bridge and in home in 3 hours, 25 mins and 46 seconds by my watch.

Looking at the results that are up now, I think we must have crossed the line almost together. I have to say in the emotion of finishing I wasn't really aware of the other runners around me, I couldn't even work out at that stage whether they were relay runners or full marathoners, I just know I finished quite strong and realy sprinted to catch a group of 4 or 5 down the home straight.

I think that marathon experience will stand you in great stead for Dublin.

Gringo78 wrote: »
    Looking at the results that are up now, I think we must have crossed the line almost together. I have to say in the emotion of finishing I wasn't really aware of the other runners around me, I couldn't even work out at that stage whether they were relay runners or full marathoners, I just know I finished quite strong and realy sprinted to catch a group of 4 or 5 down the home straight.

I think that marathon experience will stand you in great stead for Dublin.

Thanks Gringo78.

I think you pipped me alright - shame we didnt realise who each other was at the time... that said, i wasnt really in much of a mood for a chat right after that epic!

Hi Killerz, i'm in bits. My right calf went at 25 and my left went 100 yards from the line but kept going and fell over into an ambulance man's lovely arms.

Had great intentions to wave to the crowd, take off the glasses, the whole nine yards but when they mentioned my name, it took all my energy to focus on the line and keep going while trying to do a weak wave. Got an awful dose of the blisters and there's never enough vaseline in all the world before a marathon.

In hindsight, i should have bailed out at the Lough at 17 as i was in trouble but despite my body screaming in pain and my brain joining in, i forced myself to keep going but not sure how. As i was aiming for a best case time of 3.30 and was 45 seconds over it, i'm thrilled.

I'm not bothered about it though as it was such a tough day and a really tough course. However Dublin is out for me, my body is wrecked and will be taking a couple of weeks of before i even bother about going for a jog again but will pick a marathon to do in 2010.

How are you recovering for the day out in Cork?

Chinguetti, that was an awesome time - well done. Fair play to you for persevering with it. I'm just about back to normal now. I mustve forgotten to stretch my quads after, as they have been stiff for the past few days.

All of that has been offset by many "well dones" from colleagues - they have been stupid enough to ask me "hows the running going these days?" ... only to be met with ...."Well, I did the Cork Marathon on Monday... heat... ambulances...." then I walk away after the conversation with an enhanced limp. More importantly perhaps - have really gone up in the fiancee's estimations also!! Once she got over the images of me in my trusty black headband that is.....:D

I'm interested by the black headband, can't remember if i saw one on Monday at any stage.

Not back to work until Monday so saving my war stories til then. But there's a photo of my blisters doing the rounds:D

Just when my legs are loosening up, i go and stub my toe into a rock while walking in the sea today. Is there any justice in the world i cry?

And so the training for the Achill half marathon begins in earnest.....

10k there on friday evening - first run back after the cork marathon. stiff quads at the mo, but otherwise was good to loosen out the legs. Relatively slow pace, just nice to get back out there again.

10 miles this morning up around howth head with a friend of mine - more of a catch up and chat while stretching the legs than anything serious. We must have been a sight to behold - identical Dublin Marathon running shirts on, identical camelpaks and to cap it all - we dont look too different..... Slow 10 miler on a challenging route - 1 hour 32 mins (c.9 minute miles). Still feeling Cork in the legs.

Will ramp things up now over the next couple of weekends as the cork feeling unwinds - 13 milers at c.7.5 min/ mile pace i reckon, with some speed sessions during the week.

Another week of 2009 down, more running in the bag....

7k last tuesday lunchtime - 5k in 20 minutes, slowing for the final 2k in 9 minutes - 29 mins run overall - trying to build up speed again, with Achill half and Phoenix Park 5 miler in mind for July.

10k home from work on thursday - usual run home, involving the hill that is Grace Park Road in Drumcondra/ Whitehall. 4 minute 24 second kms average (44 mins), but the second 5km was 24 mins - defo slower over that hill section.

11 miles on the country roads in the limerick countryside involving hills and warm temperatures on saturday morning. 77 mins - average 7 minute miles. Need to get my last 2.1 miles into just under 13 minutes to break my achill 1:30 target. It may be that Achill is just too hilly to try and do that.... i shall see.

Roll on a new week....

Monday 15th -

Lunchtime run - 5k flat out (relatively flat course) in 3min 55sec kms. Slowed a bit then to complete the last 2k of my 7k loop in 4 min miles, coming in at 27min 35 secs for the 7k overall. Defo finding those fast runs a bit easier now, with the speedwork i'm putting in.

Wednesday 17th -

Slow run home from work - shocking day at the coalface, very tired after it, felt every footstep. Not 100% sure of the distance, but it would have been between 10 and 11k (time just over 50 mins 30 secs), as took a different route.

Hope to feel better than this for Achill in a couple of weeks!

Still have a legacy minor injury from after the cork marathon when i slipped on a kerb. not too sore when running, but can be when walking. getting better tho.

• Advertisement

Saturday 20th June

15 miles today, from artane up around hill of howth and back. tough going - longest run since cork marathon a few weeks ago. kept a decent pace up for 13 miles, coming in just over 1 hour 38 mins, slowed right down for the last 2 miles (23 mins, bringing total run to 2 hours and 1 minute).

That should stand me in good stead for Achill in two weeks - will need to get some decent rest in advance of that. Target is 1 hour 30 mins - i think it will be doable (PB for half is 1 hr 32min 47 secs, connemara), depending on how i'm feeling on the morning, conditions etc

Monday 22nd June

Usual 10k home from work - c. 45 minutes. Nothing too fast, just putting a few k's in the boots!

Wednesday 24th June

10k home again after a really long day at work. Feeling it on this run - 47 minutes. Will need to get some rest in if I am to realise the achill goal.

Saturday 27th June

Epic drinking session last night, consoling myself as Mrs-Killerz-to-be went off on her hen weekend. A day playing a tag-rugby blitz in Belvedere - 4 games on a horrigble hangover. Was very tough going.

Sunday 28th June

Hangover still.... hanging over me. Very stiff all over after the tag yesterday. Now contemplating an hour long run to keep myself in good working order for next saturday's achill extravaganza. Really dont feel like running today tho.... i'll see how it goes...

Sunday 28th June

Did a 6 miler this evening - very tough with the stiffness from yesterday - took 52 minutes. Every step hurt, it was pretty awful. Got to try out a new isotonic energy gel tho (SIS tropical). went smoothly enough - no issues. not 100% sure if it did anything for me (would be used to Powerbar gel).

Tuesday 30th June

Bring H1 2009 to a close with a 10k home from work (53 and half minutes, mostly uphill). Still very stiff from rugby on saturday. hope these slow runs will loosen me up, and at the same time, keep me relatively rested for Saturday's race, which i am looking forward to immensely now.

Wrapping up H1 2009:

Races done:

Raheny 5 - 32:37 (PB)
    Paddys Day 5k - 19:25 (PB)
    Connemara Half - 1:32:47 (PB)
    Great Ireland Run - 40:24 (PB)
    Cork Marathon - 3:25:48 (PB)

1 wedding attended.

Targets H2 2009:

Achill Half Marathon, July 2009 - 1:29:59 (Could be asking a lot!)
    Irish Runner Challenge 5 mile, July 2009 - 31:00
    Dublin Half Marathon, September - 1:29:00
    Dublin Marathon, October - 3:15:00

3 weddings to attend, one of which is my own!

Saturday, 4th July

Achill Half Marathon - Tough and demaning race, with plenty of hills. Enjoyed myself nonetheless, and was able to stick to 6 min 50 sec miles most of the way through, slipping a little towards the end, but pulling together a fast 1.1 mile to take myself through in 1 hour, 29 min and 34 secs by the watch, which was inside target time.

Delighted with that. Wasnt sure if i was going to make the sub 1:30, but really glad that i pushed myself that last bit to get there.

Tuesday 7th July

Nice "warm-down" run from achill - no watch or nothing, just taking it nice and easy home. Tiring!

Wednesday 8th July

Signed up for DCM 2009 today.

Thursday 9th July

A little bit faster running home from work today. 10k in 48 minutes - slow enough, still getting back into the swing of things. Some speed training to be done next week in advance of the Phoenix Park 5 miler. Got my race number for that today, so the preparation for that will be done early next week.

Its my stag this Friday until Sunday - watch out Cork City!!

Monday, 13th July

Back from the stag yesterday afternoon - if anyone spotted a mankini or brazilian football squad in Cork at the weekend, you'll have an idea of how it went.

So, the prep for Saturday's 5 miler begins - went for 5.5 mile run today. Very tough after the weekend in question. Just outside 40 minutes, even-enough paced, but had to stop and walk twice as felt like was going to be sick. Am aiming for something a good bit better this weekend.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,051 ✭✭✭MCOS

Well done on the recent marathon Killerz. Just noticed you popped in a 3'14 target for DM same as me, so I'll be keeping an eye on this log. I'll start Marathon training Sept 15 so hopefully I'll be close to your training paces then ;)

Best of luck by the way!

MCOS wrote: »
    Well done on the recent marathon Killerz. Just noticed you popped in a 3'14 target for DM same as me, so I'll be keeping an eye on this log. I'll start Marathon training Sept 15 so hopefully I'll be close to your training paces then ;)

Best of luck by the way!

Thanks MCOS - it really will be asking a lot for me to manage that time, given my upcoming wedding (and honeymoon!), but thats what I'm aiming for, and I have a month and a half when I come back prior to the marathon. It'll be one of those things that I'll know on the day if it's a goer or not.

Best of luck with your prep also.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,144 ✭✭✭Bally8

Wrapping up H1 2009:

Races done:

Raheny 5 - 32:37 (PB)
    Paddys Day 5k - 19:25 (PB)
    Connemara Half - 1:32:47 (PB)
    Great Ireland Run - 40:24 (PB)
    Cork Marathon - 3:25:48 (PB)

Well done Killerz you must be delighted with all those PBs

Bally8 wrote: »
    Well done Killerz you must be delighted with all those PBs

Thanks a mil Bally8. I'm hoping its early days in my running career and i can continue to build on my progress. Great motivation reading these pages and training logs - hopefully will spur me on to further PBs.

Wednesday 15th July

Last training run before the 5 miler in phoenix park on saturday. 10k home from work in just over 46 minutes. Tough going - i think that the weather is quite humid aswell these days, and this is affecting my training.

All set for saturday now - hopefully see a few boardsies knocking around!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,659 ✭✭✭tisnotover

Wednesday 15th July

Last training run before the 5 miler in phoenix park on saturday. 10k home from work in just over 46 minutes. Tough going - i think that the weather is quite humid aswell these days, and this is affecting my training.

All set for saturday now - hopefully see a few boardsies knocking around!

Best of luck in 5mile tomorrow Killerz!

Just following your log now and that Achill half marathon time is impressive for a tough course.
    A nice set of PB's there for first half of year as well+that was a great time in Cork for marathon...

Saturday, 18th July - 5 Mile, Phoenix Park

Had set a target of 31 minutes for this earlier on this month. Felt coming up to it this week that it wasn't going to be on, and that even beating my PB in Raheny 5 of 32:37 would be a big ask.

Was in good form this morning tho, and said i'd give it a fair lash. Spent a good amount of time getting around people for the first half mile or so. I dont have exact splits, but hit Mile 1 at about 5.50, then Mile 2 at 12 mins, Mile 3 at 19 mins, Mile 4 at around 25.30 and then came home in 31.29 (all stopwatch times).

What did I learn from this race? I think I am more of an endurance runner, rather than a speed runner, and without serious focus on shorter distances, I am not likely to make significant improvements. Maybe today is a consequence of recent boozing and eating?

All said, still happy with 31.29 vs 37.28 last year (when I had only been running a couple of months). This is the first race I have ever done twice, so it was interesting to compare.

Monday 20th July

5 miler out of the way, DCM training gets underway in earnest.:eek:

12k home involving slow hill from hell- from Shelbourne stadium at bottom of Grace Park Road up to Griffith Avenue, left out to Swords Road, up by Airport Hotel, right into Whitehall and on towards Beaumont. 51:33 for 12k - not too bad I think.

Finding the heat these days is affecting my comfort.

Wednesday 22nd July

7k lunch run incorporating fast 5k (flat course). 5k in 20:28, slowing up to come in for the 7k at bang on 29 minutes. Good to be back to the lunchtime runs again.

Time for a new pair of runners I think.

Thursday 24th July

13k home from work in 58:02. Works out at just under 4 and a half minutes per km. Pleased enough about that, but still finding things tough.

Saturday 26th July

20.5km in middle of the day. Quite warm. Longest run in a while. Time 1hr 42 mins. Just under 5 minutes per km. Once again, pleased enough with the time, but found it tough enough. Think i may be lacking iron - seems to be a common runner problem. Bought some iron tablets, so hopefully issue will rectify itself.

U2 tonight - gonna try stay off the booze.

New pair of runners purchased, have given them 2 outings (see below), and am happy!:)

Monday 27th July

Run home from work, 9.5k. Didn't take a watch with me, but think it was c.45 minutes or so. Pleasant enough gallop, wasnt too concerned on time.

Wednesday 29th July

Speedy session at lunchtime at work today. Did my usual 7k loop, concentrating initially on the first 5k - did that in 19 mins 40 seconds - delighted with that, back into the groove again. Finished it off then by rounding the full 7k off to 27 minutes and 20 seconds.

After a tough enough last couple of weeks motivational-wise, it was good to get back to best again.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,032 ✭✭✭rigal

New pair of runners purchased, have given them 2 outings (see below), and am happy!:)

I love getting new runners.. where'd you get them, New Balance again?

Good to see you're flying it again! :)

rigal wrote: »
    I love getting new runners.. where'd you get them, New Balance again?

Good to see you're flying it again! :)

Thanks Rigal.... Went for a pair of Brooks Adrenaline this time - thats what the guy in A-King recommended, and they felt very comfy. A fine pair of what look like silver bullets.

Thursday 30th July

10k home in a nice, pleasant 47.30. No records being broken or anything, but felt good.

Think (a) the new runners (b) the iron supplements (c) less stress at work and (d) the consistency of recent training are of great help.

Friday 31st July

Joined Northwood Gym - 200 e's annual membership - cant argue with that. Cross-training here I come! I most likely wont be using it more than twice a week, but I think it will still pay dividends if I only use it that much.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,084 ✭✭✭BeepBeep67

Got to try out a new isotonic energy gel tho (SIS tropical). went smoothly enough - no issues. not 100% sure if it did anything for me (would be used to Powerbar gel).

Got a bunch of these in Tesco's, our survey says errr errr, rotten, had to dilute them to last to make them palatable.

Saturday, 1st August

Longish training run today - 16.5 miles in 2:07:47. Puts me ahead of where I was at that stage of training for Cork. Encouraged by that performance on what was a tough day with sun, rain and strong wind.

• Advertisement
Advertisement