Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

N/M18 (for discussing COMPLETED sections)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭Tech3

Are these the only two junctions on this scheme ?

Yeah just those two. I'm not sure about Gort-Oranmore would need to check the map

AFAIK Gort - Oranmore has one at Kiltiernan and then the Stack at Rathmorrisey.

Cheers Chris the NRA road scheme activity page doesn't seem to be working for the last week or so.

Yeah the R458 or current N18 will be the link to those junctions.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,098 ✭✭✭glineli

tech2 wrote: »
    Junction 13 is for Scariff one of the LILO's on the route. I guess when all the motorway signs are up it will give us a confirmation of the junction numbers. That junction 13 was taken is on the southbound carriageway therefore Crusheen GSJ and Gort GSJ would be junctions 14 and 15 respectively I guess.

I might have a look into this further tonight.

Junction 14 is barefield i believe, saw the sign last night, 15 will be crusheen

• Registered Users Posts: 3,110 ✭✭✭KevR

*ROADWORKS* *N18/CLARE* Rolling lane closures are in place on the N18/Ennis Bypass southbound from the Barefield jct to Dromoland jct until 7pm. This is for motorway reclassification works. The left lane and the hard shoulder will be affected.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,098 ✭✭✭glineli

KevR wrote: »

Yesterday evening they were taking up the cats eyes on the hard shoulder. It looks like they will be putting down new lines.

• Advertisement

I'll be driving down to Shannon Airport tomorrow, will be interesting to see the progress they have made with the redesignation since I last drove it a couple of weeks ago. Won't get any pictures though; I'm currently cameraless!

I have updated the route section on the M18 motorway wikipedia page temporarily until I find further information.

Is there any source where I can find historic info on sections of the route such as the Newmarket-on-Fergus bypass? It would be ideal to have every motorway page brought up to the same standard as the M8 one.

I intend on adding a similar pic like this one I took a few months ago of this section to the M18 wiki page when the sign in the background is in blue. For me it is the nicest part of the N18 northbound. Of course there might be better pics to come on the Gort-Crusheen scheme

DSC01843.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,639 ✭✭✭Zoney

tech2: that's my favorite section too (although there are many nice points along that route - even the older N18 DC bits are nice). If you get a clearer photo when the M18 sign goes up, you should submit it to SABRE photo of the month. It would work well on the banner.

Zoney wrote: »
    tech2: that's my favorite section too (although there are many nice points along that route - even the older N18 DC bits are nice). If you get a clearer photo when the M18 sign goes up, you should submit it to SABRE photo of the month. It would work well on the banner.

I took one today and it came out too fuzzy :mad. The sign is up but its a next exit sign on it. Still I will try and get a shot when the continuous yellow line is down. Also to note most of the new catseyes have been installed and the older ones removed. There are on the right side of the yellow line.

Btw Anyone approaching Limerick at busy hours on the N18 that there was a massive tailback today as both north and southbound have been reduced to one lane near the N7/N18 bridge.

Gort-Crusheen update: Not much work done on anything since I've been through last the R460 overbridge is getting more advanced though.

• Advertisement

Another new motorway sign on the M18. I was taking this one for potential wikipedia upload. Nearly all southbound signs have been changed over.

DSC02544.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 203 ✭✭bacon&cabbage

Btw Anyone approaching Limerick at busy hours on the N18 that there was a massive tailback today as both north and southbound have been reduced to one lane near the N7/N18 bridge.

I reckon they're going to open the slip road between N7/N20 so they can do some more work on the N7/N18 interchange - but I'm only guessing

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,093 ✭✭✭Amtmann

It does have wiki potential. I'd crop it slightly first, though. A little less sky for instance! That page is looking a lot better now for all your photos Tech2.

Furet wrote: »
    It does have wiki potential. I'd crop it slightly first, though. A little less sky for instance! That page is looking a lot better now for all your photos Tech2.

Yeah I've been trying to do something with that photo but most of the time it comes out awful. Some of the photos are really temporary as I would like to get some better shots on the overbridges too. I would like to find some information regarding all the phases of the N18 too like the Newmarket-on-Fergus bypass and the Shannon section so I can expand the M18 page further.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,093 ✭✭✭Amtmann

More from the concerned locals adjacent to the Ennis Bypass: http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/ireland/2009/0825/1224253194826.html

Someone needs their head examined.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

They do have a point but are not entitled to make a bloody circus of it :(

One northbound exit around there ( Tulla or Barefield) is very tight but that is once you get OFF the Motorway .

This can be dealt with as a signage issue , mainly by using a giant SLOW sign and some rumble strips on the slip road .

Entering and merging northbound is sub optimal in smaller cars as there is a bit of a climb so close that and let them use the new Barefield NORTH entrance instead where they get a flyer down a ramp before they merge .

The current arrangement ( incl Barefield north under construction) would have 5 entrances/exits from north of ennis to south of ennis , where they only actually need 3 maybe 4 being nice to them .

The main carriageway is safe enough @ 120kph unlike that primitive Athlone bypass ......as I have often commented .

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭Nath

More from the concerned locals adjacent to the Ennis Bypass: http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/ireland/2009/0825/1224253194826.html

No wonder there are collisions when some idiots have no idea how to drive on these roads, there really needs to be some form of motorway driving education promoted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,733 ✭✭✭✭corktina

thats just unbelievable!.Its a fine road and any idiot can see its perfectly safe as a Mway.....(and practically empty

corktina wrote: »
    thats just unbelievable!.Its a fine road and any idiot can see its perfectly safe as a Mway.....(and practically empty

Well in terms of the mainline it is perfectly ok sightlines are fine, it is the Tulla and Barefield junctions that are brought into question.

The two junctions are LILO's but these are frequently seem on motorways all around Europe. If its an issue close off the bloody junctions altogether, no need for a junction between Ennis and Crusheen in the first place.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,018 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

Those dopes should have their driving licences stripped from them if they can't stop crashing into slip road barriers.

Typical irish attitude-always somebody else's fault and never the driver etc.

The Ennis bypass is a fine road-the lads in SABRE would love roads like that connecting two places with the population of Limerick and Galway. They don't even have a motorway type road between Manchester and Sheffield (probably shorter, albeit across the Pennines), only ****ty S2 roads between 2 cities of a million people each!

M18 it is and rightly so, given those numpties in Clare's tendency to build on any road available!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 17,733 ✭✭✭✭corktina

wassa LILO?

if 120k is a problem on the slip roads, just move the derestriction board back to half way up the slip..or are you saying there isnt enough room on the slip to accelerate to c 120k?

corktina wrote: »
    wassa LILO?

if 120k is a problem on the slip roads, just move the derestriction board back to half way up the slip..or are you saying there isnt enough room on the slip to accelerate to c 120k?

Left in, Left out. Its an at-grade junction. There absolutely no space to accelerate up to 120km on that junction. I have tested it myself it definitely needs more or a deceleration and acceleration lane. I cant wait to drive on the M18 though on Friday! :D

This is the Tulla one which I took a few weeks ago:

DSC02333.jpg

Left in, Left out. Its an at-grade junction.
    It's not an at grade junction. It's a grade separated junction with short slips. An at grade junction is one with a gap in the median for turning right instead of a bridge to get you over there to turn left onto your desired carriagweay. ALL motorway junctions (in Ireland) are LEFT IN LEFT OUT, the only difference is the severity of the curve on the offslip. :)

murphaph wrote: »
    It's not an at grade junction. It's a grade separated junction with short slips. An at grade junction is one with a gap in the median for turning right instead of a bridge to get you over there to turn left onto your desired carriagweay. ALL motorway junctions (in Ireland) are LEFT IN LEFT OUT, the only difference is the severity of the curve on the offslip. :)

Nevertheless it is a severe curve no chance of reaching 80km/hr never mind 120km/hr. I have no problem with these junctions IF motorists pulled into the overtaking lane to let others merge from the junction. Unfortunately I see very little people with that mindset.

Nevertheless it is a severe curve no chance of reaching 80km/hr never mind 120km/hr. I have no problem with these junctions IF motorists pulled into the overtaking lane to let others merge from the junction. Unfortunately I see very little people with that mindset.

Yeah I wasn't making a comment either way about the difficulty/danger/otherwise of merging/exiting at these tight junctions, just pointing out that they are not at-grade junctions, rather fully grade-separated.

The issue of acceleration and decelleration is easy to solve-just extend the road markings along the HS either side of the junction to give people more time to adjust their speed. The junctions themselves are well able to handle traffic to/from unrestricted sections of Autobahn so a lightly trafficked Ennis Bypass with 120km/h and excellent visibility either side of the exits should be no bother.

What's the ADS for this junction look like? Is it a fork sign? If so, the fork arm should have a diamond warning patch layed over it like other countries where they warn of particularly sharp exits. It shouldn't require any modification to the junction itself. Drivers just need to learn to drive really.

Edit: A patch like they have on the A57(M) and many other places in the UK warns drivers of a sharp slip road:
    Dsc00054_jpg.jpg

The Roscommon exit Eastbound on the Athlone Bypass has a warning sign similar to this one:
    pd1368646.jpg

Not sure about the Westbound exit for that junction or the Tuam junction, never took any notice.

Thanks kev, is it stuck on as a patch to the ADS or a dopey seperate sign? Please tell me it's included on the ADS as a patch on the fork arm.....pics?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,674 ✭✭✭serfboard

Sponge Bob wrote: »
    The current arrangement ( incl Barefield north under construction) would have 5 entrances/exits from north of ennis to south of ennis , where they only actually need 3 maybe 4 being nice to them .

Agree. The NRA should tell them: "Well lads, if the Tulla junction is a problem we can always close it off ..."

That'd soon shut them up.

murphaph wrote: »
    The issue of acceleration and decelleration is easy to solve-just extend the road markings along the HS either side of the junction to give people more time to adjust their speed. The junctions themselves are well able to handle traffic to/from unrestricted sections of Autobahn so a lightly trafficked Ennis Bypass with 120km/h and excellent visibility either side of the exits should be no bother.

What's the ADS for this junction look like? Is it a fork sign? If so, the fork arm should have a diamond warning patch layed over it like other countries where they warn of particularly sharp exits. It shouldn't require any modification to the junction itself. Drivers just need to learn to drive really.

It would be ideal if the acceleration and deceleration lanes were extended while working on the delineation. I wonder if the NRA planned this but I doubt it as a statement lately was issued which said there was no intention to carry out work on the junctions in question.

Yeah the ADS is a fork sign. I like the idea of the patched diamond warning sign at the end of the fork. Here is the sign in question:

DSC02330.jpg

• Advertisement

Thanks, that ADS is quite misleading given the fact we have pretty much no such LILO junctions on our motorway network and I presume the sign it replaced was a stack type sign with a left arrow rather than a full fork style ADS?

The sign should be patched to show the driver it's a particularly sharp left hand curve they are about to encounter IMO. People are used to a fork sign indicating a slip road on which they will be able to decellerate off the mainline. It's dangerous as it is tbh but could be sorted so easily.

Advertisement