Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What was the dodgiest pub you have been to?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

Well I've worked in bars and clubs for years, almost 20yrs in fact. And without a doubt the most troublesome pub I've ever worked was The Rye Vale Tavern in Leixlip (the club was originally 'Rock-s-fellas' until The O-Zone opened - same prick of an owner).

• Registered Users Posts: 11,195 ✭✭✭✭Michellenman

Was in one in France when I was about 16. Whatever way the font was on the front of it it looked like it was called 'Hitlers'... That should've been our first indication that it was dodgy place.

Had a drink in the beer garden (well... it was a roadside picnic table..) and then decided to go inside. Walked in. The place is decorated with witches and goblins and all things halloween-y... it's March. There's a load of middle aged french biker looking people sitting at the bar who turn around and stare me and my friend out of it. Surprisingly we stayed for a game of pool before pegging it. Think we wanted to prove we weren't scared when in actual fact I was ****ting it. Super intimidating.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,531 ✭✭✭Zonda999

Was in one in France when I was about 16. Whatever way the font was on the front of it it looked like it was called 'Hitlers'... That should've been our first indication that it was dodgy place.

LOL! Great name for an establishment me thinks!:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,493 ✭✭✭DazMarz

One of my local pubs... it's run by lads who (allegedly) have connections to the IRA and it is as rough as f*ck.

Of the many tales to come from there:

-a guy, out of his head on downers and vodka, bursts through the front door with a chainsaw... looking to kill his own brother.

-(the pub's front door is right at the bottom of a hill) a guy who was barred outta the place, lets the handbrake off his car at the top of the aforementioned hill and drives straight through the front of the pub on a Saturday night (amazingly, nobody killed or seriously injured)

-a local celebrity smashes the place to bits, beats the head barman to pieces... then throws a handful of tenners (amounting to about €70) to ''cover the damage''

-two more local celebrities were making trouble in there one night... when they left, two cars were waiting. They were dragged up to the Wicklow mountains and had the living sh*te kicked out of them before being left on the side of the road.

-one Good Friday at approximately 2am, the place was raided and 47 people were arrested for drinking, smoking and other things in the place on a Good Friday.

Just some of the lovely tales from the lesser of my locals! Hahaha!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,132 ✭✭✭RugbyFanatic

Just before it became Rain Nightclub there was a place in Rathmines called 'Portobello Nightclub'

We went there one night. When we first arrived we saw 2 lads getting bottled then later on in the night a lad was stabbed then smashed over the head with a barstool. My mate picked the guy up and literally got covered in blood and we subsequently left.

Then on Paddys Night we were in a state and couldn't get in anywhere. We decided we would go back to Portobello Nightclub simply so we could drink. We entered and everyone there was litreally a skin head. We sat down and had a drink and some lad was laughing at us going what the **** were we doing in a place like this. His bird was smoking openly and drinking cans of cider with your man. There was bottles smashed everywhere in this tiny nightclu. Later on in the night a person once again got stabbed.

I had been to this place twice in my life and on both nights there was a stabbing. They also used lock off one of the toilet cubicles in the mens toilet and on my second visit I saw 2 bouncers and 2 random lads go into it. From peering behind them I could see there was a small side door in the cubicle and from it the bouncers gave the 2 lads some sort of package. I am not going to speculate.

Anyways apparently now its been revamped and its now a posh nightclub but it was some kip when I went there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 968 ✭✭✭Oliverdog

The Bat and Wickets in Bailiff Street Northampton UK

My first experience there was as a young footballer 'after the match'

Walking up to the bar, I said "Um, I'll have a half of . . ."
    "You'll have a half of f*ck all - we only sell pints" said the landlord (Barry).

This man was the wildest publican I ever met. He had a small number of black customers, but would only let one of them in at a time. If one of the black men was in the bar, and another came in, he'd ask the first one to drink up and leave. His attitude towards the few gay people who dared to drop in was similarly uncompromising.

His regulars were mostly Rugby players, and they were pretty erratic too. Barry once took his wife on holiday and left the pub (which was a 'Free House', not tied to any brewery) in the hands of one of these people, who had some bar experience. When they returned two weeks later, they found that the pub had been painted pink, with lace curtains at the windows, and a Dixieland Jazz Band playing on the pavement outside.

Happy days . . .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

Lisburn Rd I believe, could be wrong.
    Just off Sandy Row

Went with a mate mid week to see a football match, was working in the city at the time.

Oh the foul looks I recieved not to mention the questions on "you're not local, are ya?" from the barman.
    Hard to disguise my bogger midlands accent :p

Maybe he didn't want my business.......
    I wasn't welcome anyway.
    And then my friend said not to use the toilets in the pub, I'd be jumped (attacked I mean before you assume something else)
    The guy was from Belfast, I suppose he knew what he was talking about

But it's supposed to be a student pub???

• Registered Users Posts: 3,803 ✭✭✭El Siglo

It might have been mentioned but the Hatfield Inn on the Ormeau Road, Belfast is by and far one of the roughest pubs I've been. It's a Republican pub that's literally 10 yards from a loyalist pub. I remember one night there was the usual clientele with one fella out of his head rolling around in a wheel chair to music, then, Garth Brooks; "I got friends in low places" comes on, and the fella leaps out of the chair and starts dancing with the barman threatening to tell his mother that he's claiming insurance when he shouldn't, and thus he promptly returned to his seat... in his wheel chair!

Oh I almost forgot about this 'night club' next to mile end tube station in London, fuck it was dodgey, there was a huge sign which said you couldn't wear burbury, trackies, hoodies, runners, I mean literally there was about 20 things on the list I'm not joking and there was a metal detector and two massive bouncers outside of it every weekend when it opened.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,219 ✭✭✭PK2008

Theres a bar in the train station in Bray , its called JD's I think, its an early house- absolute hole.

I saw a girl stumble out of it after getting bottled, the blood was pouring out of her like a tap, and this was at lunchtime in the day (I has just gotten off the dart)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,817 ✭✭✭✭Dord

Parnell Mooney.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,182 ✭✭✭✭Pighead

Pub called the Castle in Ardee or to give it it's full name "the pub where time has stood still since 1989". Seriously, if you are a teenager or in your early twenties and have often yearned to experience what it was like when pills were new and exciting and Guns and Roses were Gods then head on down to the Castle in Ardee.

Was drinking in their a couple of years ago when all of a sudden Boom! We were in total darkness. The electricity had gone. Then all hell broke loose. Pighead heard monkeys, native indians doing that woo woo woo woo noise they do and most worryingly of all angry elephant noises.

Thought that the apocolypse had arrived. Then about a minute later the lights came back on and before Pigheads eyes he seen the local yokels dancing on tables, dancing on the bar, jumping up and down on the sofas with each and every one of them wearing Def Leppard Adrenalize T-Shirts. Even the barman was dancing. It was like a tribalistic epileptic dance summoning power from the Lord almighty to restore their electricity.

Quickly drank up and left and swore blind never ever to return to Ardee again. It's a promise that won't be broken anytime soon. The lads from One Flew Over the Cuckoos Nest have nothing on the Ardee boyos.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

Penthouse and Towers in Ballymun.Bottom of Hill in Finglas.

The penter was a rough kip, towers not so much..just looks like it's been decorated with the furniture that's been thrown out of other pubs.. which it is

• Registered Users Posts: 2,228 ✭✭✭bluto63

One night while in Q Bar, I sat beside the door and every 5 minutes you'd see the bouncer draggin two guys outside who'd been fightin on the dancefloor.

Another was a pub in Romford, Essex. A guy broke a bottle in the middle of the floor, it was left there for a while, then another guy stood on it, the glass went through his shoe and cut up his foot. He just shrugged and walked off while blood was pouring out of him as he left.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,770 ✭✭✭Bottle_of_Smoke

mikemac wrote: »
    Lisburn Rd I believe, could be wrong.
    Just off Sandy Row

Went with a mate mid week to see a football match, was working in the city at the time.

Oh the foul looks I recieved not to mention the questions on "you're not local, are ya?" from the barman.
    Hard to disguise my bogger midlands accent :p

Maybe he didn't want my business.......
    I wasn't welcome anyway.
    And then my friend said not to use the toilets in the pub, I'd be jumped (attacked I mean before you assume something else)
    The guy was from Belfast, I suppose he knew what he was talking about

But it's supposed to be a student pub???

I got a friendly "yur na from roynd hur wee man" in the Celtic bar on the Falls road, sure you just didn't have belfast paranoia syndrome?

Though if it were in Sandy Row and it was a loyalist bar you were probably right.

I'd say dodgiest I was in was Queens Arms in Coleraine. Barman was sound in Queens arms but the looks we were getting as two dubliners from the customers was fairly worrying.

• Registered Users Posts: 20 irishmatic

the yacht inn, sligo

• Registered Users Posts: 7,958 ✭✭✭DenMan

irishmatic wrote: »
    the yacht inn, sligo

What's that like?

• Registered Users Posts: 328 ✭✭suspectdevice

Jonniealan wrote: »
    The old Chinaman in town somewhere some say it never actually existed, that it was an urban myth. But no i was in it about 17 at the time. Does anyone remember the Dublin Punk band paranoid visions well the lead singer was in there at the time and he decided to throw a shoe at me.

The most bizzare pub/place i have ever been too. Almost put me off booze if im honest.

they're still on the go. deko dachau. he must of liked you or something

• Closed Accounts Posts: 473 ✭✭newmills

Sitting in a bar in rio at carnival time - in walks military police in blue boiler suits and sub machine guns and start to pull punters out the back - cue time to leave.

Standing outside the glengannon hotel outside dungannon co.tyrone on stephen's night about 15 years ago waiting for our taxi home. Up pulls a 405 peugeot with 4 heavies in it - any pills lads - no we're just waiting on a taxi. They jumped out and tried to get us into the boot of the car shouting "we're going to kneecap you, you drug dealing basterd's". Bouncers noticed the commotion and helped us get away!!

Circus Circus in Banbridge was an illegal club years ago and i'll never forget walking up the stairs in to it. Both sides of the stairs were lined with skinhead paramilitaries shouting "E's, Speed or Acid lads - head down, don't make eye contact and keep walking!!

I loved being young and stupid
    now i'm old and stupid

• Registered Users Posts: 710 ✭✭✭BOHSBOHS

the castle in finglas:eek:

no place has ever come close!

• Registered Users Posts: 20 irishmatic

DenMan wrote: »
    What's that like?

the dodgiest pub ive been 2 lol...ahno its a dive,well known as d worst pub in sligo,its small and old and full of undesirables

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,563 ✭✭✭stateofflux

BOHSBOHS wrote: »
    the castle in finglas:eek:

no place has ever come close!

ive never been but id bet you always get a nice pint! if you live long enough to drink it.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

gsp119 wrote: »
    Killanarden Inn

Nonsense.
    El Siglo wrote: »
    It might have been mentioned but the Hatfield Inn on the Ormeau Road, Belfast is by and far one of the roughest pubs I've been. It's a Republican pub that's literally 10 yards from a loyalist pub.

By your reckoning, there is a Loyalist bar on the Lower Ormeau Road? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,433 ✭✭✭donkey balls

the thing is you will allways get a good pint in the rough shops no bar man is going give micko&hego a bad pint theyed f**k it back at him

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,298 ✭✭✭a-k-47

blue lion parnell st. Every gangster in dublin for the last 30 years drank in there, think there was a murder in that one. Ive never been though. South side, canal bar you cant walk into them pubs without being with someone 'known'. They are both closed down know. Canal bar burned down. They was and still are alot of dodgy kips in dublin, finglas should be taking that over.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,477 ✭✭✭grenache

O'Riarda's in Catherine St, Limerick.

Rough as fcuk

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,434 ✭✭✭DigiGal

Eamonn Dorans....underagers lads!

Prob the Bridge House in Dolphins Barn, right next to two sets of council flats full of junkies and their screaming kids, ya know the type that leave their kids in the pub all day sunday!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,800 ✭✭✭Senna

Cant remember the name but it was between seven sisters and holloway in london, me and the guy i worked for went on a bit of a crawl and ended up in here about 2am (closing time was 11.30pm), there was a thick cloud of dope smoke everywhere, people were passed out on the floor, barman was completely fried and kept dropping glasses and bottles. We were there for about an hour having good craic when the fella i was with jumped out of his seat and literally pull me by the neck out the door. When we were out he point inside to two guys squaring up to each other with knifes, one of them was already cover in blood. We just ran, dodgy as hell.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

I'm gonna thrump anything mentioned before with one sentence.

The Keg, The Olde Oak, Steven Kelly's Carey's and Pat Man's all in Athlone, OMFG!

• Registered Users Posts: 40,861 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

keano_afc wrote: »
    The Headline Bar in Dublin, scary place. Went to a quiz there and won, we were lucky to get out alive when we didnt hand the prize money back to the organizers. Few of the locals were very vocally calling for us to be "sorted out".

:confused: The Headline? That place isn't rough in slightest. Sure it's just full of snobby rich kids from Griffith College, and I'd know cause I used to be one of them.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 244 ✭✭White_Feather

DigiGal wrote: »
    Eamonn Dorans....underagers lads!

Prob the Bridge House in Dolphins Barn, right next to two sets of council flats full of junkies and their screaming kids, ya know the type that leave their kids in the pub all day sunday!

Eamonn Dorans?? I laughed when I read that one. Its just full of people who like to mosh really and that would be downstairs.

Actually I dont think that even really happens anymore. Downstairs has a dj, upstairs you can sit down like a normal pub, with a jukebox etc. Not bad at all, in comparison to some dodgy places around dublin!

Advertisement