Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What was the dodgiest pub you have been to?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭TriciaDelicia

BOHSBOHS wrote: »
    the castle in finglas:eek:

no place has ever come close!

Memories.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,270 ✭✭✭flas

on the way back from glasgow one saturday evening at about half 6, driving to catch the ferry at stranrar and pulled into this pub in some little town,had orange order banners and loyalist flags everywhere in the pub and a big mural or billy wright,the loyalist terrorist leader killed in the troubles...needless to say we quickly left...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,115 ✭✭✭Pal

Noctors on Sheriff Street looks charming but I've never been brave enough to go in.

http://i217.photobucket.com/albums/cc316/WishboneAshe/SheriffStreetLowerNoctorsPub.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 29,294 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

'green hills' in santa ponsa

<shudders>

• Closed Accounts Posts: 642 ✭✭✭Kalashnikov_Kid

irish-stew wrote: »
    'green hills' in santa ponsa

<shudders>

Haha the memories!!!

When I was there, my mate (who was 20 at the time) scored a 54 old yoke with 3 kids, all older than him apparently, told her she looked like Stifflers Mom, made her cry into her mates shoulder, then left.

Ahh good times...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,324 ✭✭✭tallus

As some poster already mentioned earlier on the thread, the Cardiff in Finglas. Never drank there but I worked with a few guys who did and one of them told me a story about the place being held up one night by masked men with guns, who came back later the same evening to have a few beers minus the masks.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

markesmith wrote: »
    Route 66 in La Paz, Bolivia. Barman asked me what I wanted to drink, then asked how many grammes I wanted. Looked around, everyone was openly taking the marching powder. Didn't leave until about 10.30 next morning.

Quoting from page 3!

1 - It is Route 36.
    2 - How the hell did you manage to go there without knowing what it is? It is not like they have a flashing neon sign outside and an open door policy or anything.

(If you have not been there; you basically bang on a metal door in a random looking building in a deserted part of town, the door opens and if you are a white person the bouncer leads you downstairs and you find what appears to be a hip candle lit lounge bar except everyone is doing coke. Yes there are drugs there which makes it sound dodgy, but it really is quite tranquil and well run. I think they make most of their money selling over priced bottles of water, the coke is just the pull)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,339 ✭✭✭me-skywalker

Citi Bar!! enough said!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,013 ✭✭✭leitrim lad

the welcome inn drumshanbo co leitrim

its a bit like that television series that was out in the late ninties,

the league of gentlemen

that kinda place

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,149 ✭✭✭J.S. Pill

Capwell Sports bar - douglas st, Cork.

2 of us were followed outside coz we sucked so much at pool. not content to take the piss as we played, they had to follow us outside, 'nuff said.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 21,730 Mod ✭✭✭✭entropi

The Limelight on Thomas Street...

Ended up in there on day two of a bit of a bender, and no sooner had I set foot in the place when a one legged junkie who was passed out on a pool table cocked his head up and asked me was i after any yokes...

There were a few old lads with big yellow beards openly skinning up and there was a heavily pregnant girl who didn't look a day over 14 buying a bottle of vodka at the bar
    Definately agree on this one, i only live a few mins walk from the place (now known as Mc Gruders) and many of the local scum that basically lived in the place:pac:

The Blue Lion in Newmarket Square when it existed was a right sh*thole too, full of a mix of skangers and drug dealers...right shifty feckers!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,787 ✭✭✭g5fd6ow0hseima

Definately agree on this one, i only live a few mins walk from the place (now known as Mc Gruders) and many of the local scum that basically lived in the place:pac:

I was in McGruders once before it closed. Judging on that one visit, it was the best pub ive ever been to in terms of the music and crowd... Far cry from what the poster described prior to it becoming McGruders.

I think it was closed simply because it got too popular.... I couldnt imagine the locals putting up with banging music at 2am on a Friday night...

• Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭Happynappy

I don't know if its still open, but the Camelot just off the Darndale roundabout was fairly rough years ago. Haven't heard much about
    it recently so not sure its still there.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,277 ✭✭✭poisonated

Either q bar or redz.They are clubs though.They can be good fun.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭admiralofthefleet

Happynappy wrote: »
    I don't know if its still open, but the Camelot just off the Darndale roundabout was fairly rough years ago. Haven't heard much about
    it recently so not sure its still there.

burnt down afaik

• Site Banned Posts: 5,676 ✭✭✭jayteecork

The Screaming Monkey in Cork. Think it was only open about 2 months.

Biggest scumbag infested drug den that ever was.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 199 ✭✭Stones85

The Felons, Belfast

• Closed Accounts Posts: 142 ✭✭Riverpineapple

The Beehive, Newcastle

Also the Bulldog in Edinburgh

• Registered Users Posts: 359 ✭✭teddy_303

Crystals early house in Sligo town. Pronounced Krystales, by some, ffor ironic purposes. People regularly battered down there. Usual to find someone selling stolen goods from the guys house who had a party last night, who is also there. Knack bag selling his PS / phone wouldn't give a toss if he was seen or anything. People, meet The Snesh! :mad:

• Advertisement

The dolphin's wing in cardiff stank of urine

• Closed Accounts Posts: 48 couch13

The Q bar. Talk about scumbags.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 cliojamie

The albert outside anfield, some kip, but drink was great

• Registered Users Posts: 34,045 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

any pub in mallow co cork

• Registered Users Posts: 303 ✭✭Brunteaphile

The Grange Inn, Dublin

After last orders, everyone MUST stand and sing the national anthem.

• Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭hoser expat

The scariest bar i was in was in Inuvik In the Northwest teritorty in Artic Canda, Inuvik is really a wild west town, this particular bar was called Barts, full of really drunk and violent natives but i actually got talking to a few of them and when they heard i was Irish they kinnda took it easy on me, they though i was just another white cannuck:D, who by the way they usually kick the **** out off and rob as the barmaid told me, think of people using crack in the bathroom and 2 guys covered in blood asleep in on a bench outside and you will get the picture. I was constantly hassled for drink as you would expect but me being Irish some of the guys loved it and actually brought me a drink:D.

WTF is an Irishman doing in Inuvik??? I used to live up there and worked in the area (inuvik and Tuk), and believe me, you don't go in those bars as a tourist. I was OK as I grew up in Canada and have the accent to survive there, but as a tourist stay away.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,555 ✭✭✭DublinWriter

LadyJ wrote: »
    Popped into some pub opposite Connelly Station a few months back just to kill 20 mins before I had to be somewhere and everyone in the place just stared me out of it the whole time. I took out an a4 pad and a pen just to write something down and people started pointing at me and whispering to each other.

Very scary.
    No, scary is when you get held up at gun-point after exiting a Moroccan night-club at 4am by some guy off his head on PCP.

Walk into any Dublin pub alone, start scribbling into an A4 refill-pad and you'll get the same reaction.

Don't mistake mild-curiosity for hostility.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,122 ✭✭✭LadyJ

No, scary is when you get held up at gun-point after exiting a Moroccan night-club at 4am by some guy off his head on PCP.

Walk into any Dublin pub alone, start scribbling into an A4 refill-pad and you'll get the same reaction.

Don't mistake mild-curiosity for hostility.

While I don't doubt that this would be far more terrifying, believe me when I say it was a scary pub. I can't quite describe the atmosphere but I've experienced mild curiosity many times and these people were just plainly hostile.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 70 ✭✭offalyman

yupyup7up wrote: »
    Either The Steering Wheel, O'Riadas or the Olympic Arms in Limerick. and Im from Limerick so I can say it :D

And you made it out alive!! Lucky man

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭ncit9933

teddy_303 wrote: »
    Crystals early house in Sligo town. Pronounced Krystales, by some, ffor ironic purposes. People regularly battered down there. Usual to find someone selling stolen goods from the guys house who had a party last night, who is also there. Knack bag selling his PS / phone wouldn't give a toss if he was seen or anything. People, meet The Snesh! :mad:

Was there years ago myself, surreal place...we were all hammer from the night before.
    Big bird working behind the bar but I don't think they serve drink to any women that come in.
    Some craic was had that morning

Another place worth a mention was a pub we stopped in on the way from Kalgoolie to Warburton, Western Australia....Town called Leonora.
    The bar only had seats bolted to a concrete floor and the person behind the bar was shielded by "bars" from anything that would regularly kick off with the locals.
    Once you passed Leonora drink was banned because you were in Aborigine land....

Advertisement