Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What was the dodgiest pub you have been to?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,416 ✭✭✭weemcd

So-called "dodgiest place" i went was a place called the crows nest in newcastle beside our scummy hotel - the rose lodge. Taxi man told us taxi's don't leave off there and under no circumstances to go into the place.

Anyway we were on a stag, and of course me and this lad decide to go in, we got some looks from the locals but we decide to have a few games of pool for cash with these 2 gents we got talking to- terrible idea right? 4 or 5 games later the whole pub is watching every shot and you could hear a fúckin pin drop! I had a shot on a black to win one of the games, and I'm half considering throwing the pot just so we don't get our heads kicked in... In the end I potted it and the whole place cheered, handshakes all round. Think we had a few more pints and left up about £20 each.

So yeah, not one bit of bother, they were all salt of the earth Geordies, arms completely covered with tattooed but absolute gents - I'd love to go back!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

flickerx wrote: »
    But best/worst of all - there was a place on Moore Street years ago called the 'No Name' pub or the 'Looney Bin'

Remember this too.

It used to be beside that back street that runs from Moore Street out to Conways on Parnell Street?

Sold take-out beside the door.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭Remmy

weemcd wrote: »
    So-called "dodgiest place" i went was a place called the crows nest in newcastle beside our scummy hotel - the rose lodge. Taxi man told us taxi's don't leave off there and under no circumstances to go into the place.

Anyway we were on a stag, and of course me and this lad decide to go in, we got some looks from the locals but we decide to have a few games of pool for cash with these 2 gents we got talking to- terrible idea right? 4 or 5 games later the whole pub is watching every shot and you could hear a fúckin pin drop! I had a shot on a black to win one of the games, and I'm half considering throwing the pot just so we don't get our heads kicked in... In the end I potted it and the whole place cheered, handshakes all round. Think we had a few more pints and left up about £20 each.

So yeah, not one bit of bother, they were all salt of the earth Geordies, arms completely covered with tattooed but absolute gents - I'd love to go back!

A good one for not judging a book..

• Registered Users Posts: 5,255 ✭✭✭getz

in the late 60s i worked as a live/in barman in the KPH in ladbrook grove london, now that was bad, we had killings, fights, knife fights, bottlings, and we had drug raids twice a week ,every morning i had to wash away the blood from out side the front of the pub,also because it was located next to portabello road,we always ended up with the pub trashed on carnaval days,one day one drunkish customer tried to jump the bar and take the money out of my till,lucky for me i hit him first so i carried him out of the pub unconscious, propped him up against the wall with half a pint of beer next to him,the police in passing picked him up as a drunk and took him away.eventually the local crime gangs got to the manager to pay protection money,part of the deal was that i had to go.i look back now and think sh ..t did i do that

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,407 ✭✭✭Quint

the four roads in crumlin.
    i was going in one night and there was a telephone book on fire in the doorway, the barman was in no hurry to put it out. ace bookies next door has been held up 4 times in the last couple of weeks, the most recent being last night

:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 39 Amston

xzanti wrote: »
    The Peacock on Cathal Brugha Street, it's gone now afaik.. That was some dive. :eek:

Oh yeah I'd forgotten about that place.. used to go there when I was 16... Awful dodgy.. but they served us so happy days :D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 12,333 ✭✭✭✭JONJO THE MISER

Another dodgy pub but this time in Regina Saskatchewan(the murder capital of canada) called the Plains Hotel, wow it was as rough as anything, hookers, lots of drunk and dangerous natives, smelt like ****, the barmaid was nice looking only plus, anyway these two native hoods come over to me and start hassling me and start demanding money for drink, well anyway i went off the head as i have a short temper, they couldnt understand what i was saying:D and thought i was crazy so left me alone after that.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,545 ✭✭✭✭Poor Uncle Tom

A bunch of us were driving back through France from a week long bender with some good friends in Germany about 18-20 years ago, it was about 1.30 in the morning and I was tired so I pulled in at the next small town, village really, anyway I didnt get the name. I was just getting my sleeping roll off the bike when I heard glasses clinking and general merryment, I thought a nightcap would be nice.

I stayed two days, don't remember too much about the place, I got a broken nose and two broked fingers, but I gave some broken bones too, and that was on the first night. I saw a wine bottle being busted over some guys head, there was cock fights, dog fights and knife fights all the time, funny I liked it there though, it's just looking back on it I realise what a dive it was.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,397 ✭✭✭✭Degsy

A bunch of us were driving back through France from a week long bender with some good friends in Germany about 18-20 years ago, it was about 1.30 in the morning and I was tired so I pulled in at the next small town, village really, anyway I didnt get the name. I was just getting my sleeping roll off the bike when I heard glasses clinking and general merryment, I thought a nightcap would be nice.

I stayed two days, don't remember too much about the place, I got a broken nose and two broked fingers, but I gave some broken bones too, and that was on the first night. I saw a wine bottle being busted over some guys head, there was cock fights, dog fights and knife fights all the time, funny I liked it there though, it's just looking back on it I realise what a dive it was.

I was in a bar like that in Nates..algerians only and i went in with a blonde irish chick.
    Once they found out we werent french or english they couldnt do enough for us..the owner was taking hits on a bong full of moroccan hashish and we had a lock in with them where everybody was tooting cocaine till it got bright.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

stovelid wrote: »
    Remember this too.

It used to be beside that back street that runs from Moore Street out to Conways on Parnell Street?

Sold take-out beside the door.

Looked like it was constructed of ply wood? Supplier of fine quality 2 litres to teenaged dubs?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,438 ✭✭✭TwoShedsJackson

soundbyte wrote: »
    Someone mentioned The Headline on Sth Circular Road. What???

Eh, you probably meant The Glimmerman just around the corner from it (can't remember what the name of the Bridge is)??

Pure IRA pub in the 1990s. Only Guinness and Carlsberg on tap. Went in for a pint oneday for the laugh, got stared out of it by the locals. Yer man picked up a filthy pint glass from behind the bar, popped it into a basin of filthy water and then pulled the Carlsberg. Tasted worse than it looked, but I drank it.

The Headline has actually become a complete kip in the last two years or so. Used to be grand for a quiet pint on a weekday eve, never was in there at the weekend. Now it's been taken over by skangers.

Have driven past the Glimmerman many times, wouldn't go in if I was dying of thirst :) There used to be another pub beside it called the Man of Achill which also looked like an absolute hole.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 272 ✭✭Salvelinus

The Headline has actually become a complete kip in the last two years or so. Used to be grand for a quiet pint on a weekday eve, never was in there at the weekend. Now it's been taken over by skangers.

Have driven past the Glimmerman many times, wouldn't go in if I was dying of thirst :)There used to be another pub beside it called the Man of Achill which also looked like an absolute hole.

That's the place just before the bridge isn't it?

Bambi wrote: »
    Looked like it was constructed of ply wood? Supplier of fine quality 2 litres to teenaged dubs?

yeah some stuff with a silver label for 3 quid..merrydown it could've been.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,438 ✭✭✭TwoShedsJackson

Salvelinus wrote: »
    That's the place just before the bridge isn't it?

Yeah on the right as you come to the canal bridge at the end of Clanbrassil St. heading out of town.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,700 ✭✭✭brayblue24

there was cock fights

Given the rest of your description I won't ask!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,234 ✭✭✭flickerx

Have driven past the Glimmerman many times, wouldn't go in if I was dying of thirst :)

Oh come on. Are people here really that timid? The Glimmer is grand. The rear bar is big and spacious, they have loads of cool stuff all over the walls and hanging from the ceiling like old records, bicycles, posters, etc. My ex is a regular in there, and although she definitely has some stories to tell about the place, she never catches any hassle whatsoever, or has seen a row.

edit: I'm talking about the place on Manor Street in Stoneybatter. From previous replies it looks like people might be talking about some place on Clanbrasil Street, or somewhere up around the grand canal (southside). I didnt think there was a second Glimmerman.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

flickerx wrote: »
    edit: I'm talking about the place on Manor Street in Stoneybatter. From previous replies it looks like people might be talking about some place on Clanbrasil Street, or somewhere up around the grand canal (southside). I didnt think there was a second Glimmerman.

This Gilmmerman was just on the town side of Emmet (?)Bridge, the bridge on the Harold's Cross road. Have never drank in it. Is it even open anymore? Also remember the Man of Achill beside it too.

It was across the road from the Harold House.

The highly notorious Headline bar, name checked by many scarred and shaken punters in this very thread, is just down the road from it.

• Registered Users Posts: 458 ✭✭grundie

The Peacock in Carlisle.

I was brought up in Carlsile and I can remember it being a decent pub back inthe early 80s, when my parents went there for Sunday dinenr and drinks. Anyways me ma brings me back to Ireland in the late 80s and fast forward to 2000 and I find myself visiting Carlisle and decide to pop in to the the Peacock for a pint.

Talk about changes.

All the lights had wire cages around them. The bandits had thick perspex screen protecting them. All furniture and stools were bolted to the floor. There were glass screens around the bar just like in banks. The exterior windows had poorly applied plastic laminated sheeting stuck on. And the best bit? The toilet had an entry buzzer and only one person was allowed in at a time to prevent toilet beatings, aparently.

Despite all this, I ordered a pint - which came in a plastic glass.

I sat down and realised that 6 peopel i there were staring at me rather aggressively. So I finished my pint up and was gone within a minute.

What had happened between my childhood and 2000 was that all the pubs in a rather aggressive housing a estate two miles away had been closed down and the locals just spread further afield and turned what was once a decent pub into a hell hole.

Also, a friend of mine took me to a pub in New York just round the corner from Bloomingdales. It looked dodgy as hell (no doors on the toilets etc), but it was dead on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 172 ✭✭bakkiesbotha

Degsy wrote: »
    yeah some stuff with a silver label for 3 quid..merrydown it could've been.

Boss

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 6,854 Mod ✭✭✭✭mp22

used to frequent the warf tavern on the east wall road in the late seventies
    RUFF RUFF!!!

• Advertisement

Boss

Thats the stuff..not dissimilar to the aftershave of the same name

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭admiralofthefleet

Have driven past the Glimmerman many times, wouldn't go in if I was dying of thirst :)There used to be another pub beside it called the Man of Achill which also looked like an absolute hole.

it has 'select bar' in the window:D

the pub a few posters are referring to is francis mc kenna's, beside the man of achill

• Registered Users Posts: 1,524 ✭✭✭finisklin

Was in a pub in South London once, which was jammed. As usual all the ladies decide to use the mens jacks instead of queing. One pretty girl with a short dress, boob tube and sky scrapper heels used the loo which was opposite the stainless steel urinal. As she exited the loo she slipped on the wet floor, losing her balance...she quickly tried to break her fall by putting her hands out to cling to the stainless steel urinal.

To no avail.....she ended up on the wet, pissy floor...her hands and leg all wet with you know what!

Thats not so much dodgy but definitely klassy.

There was another pub we used go to in South London that was a little rough....it was called the Pineapple. It was down the road from a police station, you'd think yeah safe enough, nothing dodgy there....

Have a look at this link from a few weeks ago about the Pineapple......

http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/news/2550190/Girl-police-worker-and-WPc-have-sex-with-five-cops-in-orgy-shame.html

Priceless....never happened in my time there!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,657 ✭✭✭brandon_flowers

The Penny Black in Edinburgh, it was the early house every morning except Sunday morning. It is easily the biggest dive I have ever been in and I've been in a few. Drink was absolutely brutal, the second you got your change back from the barman some homeless waster would be asking you for it.

Still spent a few saturday and monday mornings in there though...

• Registered Users Posts: 14,545 ✭✭✭✭Poor Uncle Tom

brayblue24 wrote: »
    Given the rest of your description I won't ask!!

safer not to..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,115 ✭✭✭Pal

Keatinge's in mary's Abbey..its gone now but the blokes getting TR from mountjoy would head straight there and by 12 pm it was like a scene from dante's Inferno.

No way. Keatings was a well run shop.
    Sure the clients were bogey but they never messed up in the pub.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 83 ✭✭unwyse

Napper Tandys on Werburgh Street just down from the labour exchange, now there was the original kip of kips,no scars no serve!!!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,298 ✭✭✭a-k-47

getz wrote: »
    in the late 60s i worked as a live/in barman in the KPH in ladbrook grove london, now that was bad, we had killings, fights, knife fights, bottlings, and we had drug raids twice a week ,every morning i had to wash away the blood from out side the front of the pub,also because it was located next to portabello road,we always ended up with the pub trashed on carnaval days,one day one drunkish customer tried to jump the bar and take the money out of my till,lucky for me i hit him first so i carried him out of the pub unconscious, propped him up against the wall with half a pint of beer next to him,the police in passing picked him up as a drunk and took him away.eventually the local crime gangs got to the manager to pay protection money,part of the deal was that i had to go.i look back now and think sh ..t did i do that

well hard!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,298 ✭✭✭a-k-47

I was in a bar like that in Nates..algerians only and i went in with a blonde irish chick.
    Once they found out we werent french or english they couldnt do enough for us..the owner was taking hits on a bong full of moroccan hashish and we had a lock in with them where everybody was tooting cocaine till it got bright.

and she didnt get raped.wow

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,411 ✭✭✭oceanclub

unwyse wrote: »
    Napper Tandys on Werburgh Street just down from the labour exchange, now there was the original kip of kips,no scars no serve!!!

I only ever saw that pub derelict, when exactly did it close?

P.

Advertisement