Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Actors that portray their characters well

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭DancingQueen:)

Tableman wrote: »

The one that I really dislike is the girl who plays Ginny, She is nothing like I imagined her and her acting was awful in the last film

+ 1, i really don't like her :(

• Registered Users Posts: 9,952 ✭✭✭Degag

Surprised no one said Fiennes as Voldemort. I know he doesn't have alot of screen time but i think he's amazing in the role.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,383 ✭✭✭emeraldstar

Degag wrote: »
    Surprised no one said Fiennes as Voldemort. I know he doesn't have alot of screen time but i think he's amazing in the role.
    Yeah, he's great :)

Alan Rickman, Helena Bonham Carter, Maggie Smith, Kenneth Brannagh and the Weasley parents are/were all great in their roles.

Daniel Radcliffe and Emma Watson are terrible.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,768 ✭✭✭youngblood

Imelda Stauton as Dolores Umbridge was exactly as I had pictured her before Imelda had even been cast as Umbridge.
    It was uncanny.

• Registered Users Posts: 686 ✭✭✭insert-gear

I think the weasley twins weren't all that great, but I also just didn't like what they did with their characters.

Thought Lupin wasn't right at all, but maybe thats just because the third book was my favourite and they tore it to shreds in the movie, massive gaping plotholes and unnecessary rewriting.

Sirius was woeful, not like in the book at all. He should have been a more handsome brooding type (oh how I wished it would be Johnny Depp)

Dudley was also a fail.

Dursley wise, Fiona Shaw who plays Petunia is an amazing actress, Ive seen her in plays, but her hair should have been blonde.

I think Lockhart, Snape and Hagrid would probably be the best potrayed, as well as mrs. weasley.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,282 ✭✭✭Slugs

I dunno. For movie the movies apart from the first 2 have been a complete fail. Radcliffe needs to go. He's too old, and just isn't convincing. Grint is fine given Ron is meant to be huge. And Watson can stay given she's the only eye candy.

Just going slightly OT: was anyone else really dissappointed with the 6th movie? I thought it was a complete anti-climax.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,658 ✭✭✭Patricide

Slugs wrote: »
    I dunno. For movie the movies apart from the first 2 have been a complete fail. Radcliffe needs to go. He's too old, and just isn't convincing. Grint is fine given Ron is meant to be huge. And Watson can stay given she's the only eye candy.

Just going slightly OT: was anyone else really dissappointed with the 6th movie? I thought it was a complete anti-climax.
    6th movie for me was better than any that had gone before it. Maybe your views of the movies have been tainted by age. Try watching the first too movies now, there terrible(in my opinion at least) I think every movie has been a logical step forward. Everyone will have there different opinions of course. I think david heyman did the best job though and im glad they kept him on.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,282 ✭✭✭Slugs

Have to disagree, I think the movies have just lost everything as time went on. the 6th movie was a complete fail, and spent so much time on the love triangle that it came out like a twilight wannabe.

This is true, but the actual style the films are in with heyman i think is great. If he would focus less on the love story and more on the actual story i think his movies could be perfect.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,492 ✭✭✭degausserxo

Slugs wrote: »
    Have to disagree, I think the movies have just lost everything as time went on. the 6th movie was a complete fail, and spent so much time on the love triangle that it came out like a twilight wannabe.

I agree in terms of certain charachters, really. I liked Emma Watson in the first one; she totally emulated Hermione in terms of bossiness to the point of obnoxiousness. But as they got on they totally changed her.. and her hair! One thing I cannot stand about her though is her eyebrows.. they move.. constantly.. even when she's not meant to be saying anything/expressing any sort of emotion. Look out for it next time you watch one of the movies, and it'll annoy you whenever she's onscreen!

As for the rest of them, I like the obvious ones, Alan Rickman, Helena Bonham Carter, blah blah blah.. but I thought that Ralph Fiennes was brilliant as Voldemort; pretty terrifying! I liked David Tennant as Barty Crouch too, he had the creepo bit down to a T!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,705 ✭✭✭Mr Trade In

Jason Issacs was fantastic as Lucius Malfoy, evil and arrogant.

Richard Griffiths is great as Uncle Vernon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 481 ✭✭coldwood92

Emma Watson

• Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭RoRoCullen

RUPERT GRINT AS RON.
    Alan Rickman as Snape.
    Evanna Lynch as Luna!
    and
    Gary Oldman was amazing as Sirius!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,656 ✭✭✭norrie rugger

coldwood92 wrote: »
    Emma Watson

Complete over actor and very wooden, at times

• Closed Accounts Posts: 64 ✭✭fleeflyfloflum

My hands down favourite so far has been Imelda Staunton as Umbridge, never have I seen an actor adapt so well from a book. She was precisely what I had invisioned, it was perfect.

Others, I like McGonagall, Trelawney, Sprout, Filch (hes bleh, but thats just like in the books!), oh and Nearly Headless Nick is very accurate imho too.

I agree with whoever said the 6th Movie was dire, the replacing the
    funeral
    with the wand thing made me soooo mad!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,066 ✭✭✭Washington Irving

I can't think of his name at the moment, but I think the guy who played Slughorn was quite good. I know the Slughorn in the movies doesn't look the way he is described in the book, but his personality is captured well IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 pix1e_head

Gary Oldman as Sirius...he's exactly how I imagined him when I was reading the books!!

• Registered Users Posts: 428 ✭✭Dan Dare

SAULGOODE9 wrote: »
    I can't think of his name at the moment, but I think the guy who played Slughorn was quite good. I know the Slughorn in the movies doesn't look the way he is described in the book, but his personality is captured well IMO.

Jim Broadbent is the actors name. I thought he was perfect as Horace Slughorn.

• Registered Users Posts: 375 ✭✭Raedwald

Evanna Lynch has the character spot on, from the moment i heard the airy dreamy voice just knew she had the character nailed.

I think the actor who portrays malfoy has grown into a good actor and neville as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,110 ✭✭✭Aodan83

Thought Umbridge and Slughorn were very good. Think Alan Rickamn is brilliant as well, he really has the whole sneering look of derision thing down to an art like. Ralph Fiennes got Voldemort pretty well . Preferred Richard Harris as Dumbledore, but Gambon does a very good job in the role.

All the young actors were fairly poor in the first film or two, but they have gotten much better, especially Watson as Hermione, she was very rigid in the first movie especilly, but she has gotten better, and shes pretty good lookin. Think Rupert Grint as Ron is the best though, seem like they might be the closest in terms of actual personalities, especially if the essay stroy is true, and he does look right for the part. Still not gone on Radcliffe as Harry though, hes just not how I imagined Harry would be somehow. Same goes for Ginny.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,138 ✭✭✭takola

I was really disappointed with Lupin, Sirius and Snape. They were supposed to be 36 in canon yet all of their actors were older and they were portrayed in the movies as much older than in the books IMO.

I enjoyed the HBP but I thought that Daniel Radcliffe was far too cheerful and quirky. I like him but I don't really want to. Harry was supposed to be all broody teenage angst in book 6. It seemed to me like it just skipped over his grief over Sirius.

On the plus side, I thought Felton took Draco's character to a whole new level and I really enjoyed seeing his increasing panic throughout the movie.

I hate Gambon, he's too energetic. Harris was the perfect Dumbledore though and I don't think anyone could have been better in the role so we were going to be disappointed no matter what.

I love McGonagal, Hagrid, Trelawney and Mrs Weasley.

Emma Watson, Evanna Lynch and Rupert Grint are all fantastic too. And of course, Helena Bonham Carter is out on her own. She plays psychotic so well. I also think Fiennes plays Voldemort very well.

I'm disappointed Charlie Weasley won't be in the movies. He was the most interesting Weasley in my opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,134 ✭✭✭Duddy

Mis-ter Pot..ter.
    Our...
    New....
    Celebrity....
    :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 19,075 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

It really is a mixed bag and I could imagine with a better script some characters could have been better portrayed. I seen Snape as more rugged in the books but it's very hard to go against Rickman. Most of the teachers are good except I thought Flitwick could have been better.

Fred and George Weasley are criminally underused in the films but I didn't really like their actors that much tbh, they just don't seem to have the charisma that the Weasley twins do in the book. Grint grew into the character as Watson grew out of it. What happened to bushy hair! Radcliffe isn't a bad Potter imo and I think that again the scripts may have let him down. Luna, despite being very different from her description in the book (SHE'S NOT IRISH!) did come across quite well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 374 ✭✭pocketvenus

Liam O wrote: »
    It really is a mixed bag and I could imagine with a better script some characters could have been better portrayed. I seen Snape as more rugged in the books but it's very hard to go against Rickman. Most of the teachers are good except I thought Flitwick could have been better.

Fred and George Weasley are criminally underused in the films but I didn't really like their actors that much tbh, they just don't seem to have the charisma that the Weasley twins do in the book. Grint grew into the character as Watson grew out of it. What happened to bushy hair! Radcliffe isn't a bad Potter imo and I think that again the scripts may have let him down. Luna, despite being very different from her description in the book (SHE'S NOT IRISH!) did come across quite well.

Have to say I think Rickman is excellent as Snape and has the character down to a tee. At the moment I do not think of another English actor who could play the role so well.

I agree with you I def think Daniel Radcliffe has grown into the role and from about book 5 onwards has really stepped up his performances with the current film being his best to date. Mind you that applies to Rupert Grint and Emma Watson also -- mind you I think Watson was slighly ahead in acting terms out of the trio in first couple of movies.

Evanna Lynch is excellent as Luna she has that whole dreamy like personality described in the books.

Brendan Gleeson, Maggie Smith, Julie Walters, Imelda Stauton and Michael Gambon also excel in their roles.

The only problem I really have with a character is Ginny and this has to do with the script not the actress. They really have failed to develop her character properly and she is kind of forgotten about at times which is a pity as she is a fairly important character at times. Bonnie Wright who portrays her gets alot of slack but I do not blame her she can only work with what she is given and they have directed her a certain way. I think iif she was given the material we would see a great Ginny. We have seen glimpses in films such as OOTP & HBP.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,656 ✭✭✭norrie rugger

I can not believe that people thought that Emma Watson was a good actress, especially in the first few films

She overacted in the first few. I think from azkaban on though she laid off a bit.

Grint I think was hands down the best of the 3.

My picks for best actors in the series would be coltrane, harris, lynch, and the woman who played molly weasly. Finally getting to see the last movie today(had to wait for a cinema to stock the OV). Interested to see how fiennes fits the role of voldermort now that he has actual screen time.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 2,639 Mod ✭✭✭✭TrueDub

Gambon is an awful Dumbledore! OK, it's tough to compete with Richard Harris, but Gambon's rushed and panicky character is miles away from the calm, unflappable person in the book, and indeed Harris' portrayal.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,075 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

Actually the fact that Bill Weasley is only introduced to Harry in the DH is an absolute joke now that I think of it. Has Charlie Weasley ever been in the movies? Can't remember at the moment. I got a different view of Tonks in the novels too. I just think that they should have been doing 2 parters at the very least since HBP and probably GOF and OOTP should have been split. I didn't mind those movies that much but HBP was an absolute shambles.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,298 ✭✭✭freyners

whoever plays neville , i think its matthew lewis, is very good

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 8,490 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fluorescence

I like Emma Watson and Rupert Grint - exactly how I'd always pictured them ('cept Hermione's hair and eyebrows don't match the books at all :pac:). Snape, MacGonagle, Hagrid, Lucius Malfoy, Petunia and Vernon Dursley, Molly Weasley and Neville Longbottom are also perfect.

I hate hate hate Michael Gambon and Ralph Fiennes. They're just all wrong! Particularly in movie 5, Gambon is running all over the place, prone to outbursts of anger and is just generally completely un-Dumbledore-ish. He's rubbish. As for Fiennes, I just don't feel he fits. There's something very off about his portrayal that I simply cannot put my finger on.

Oh, and I hate Helena Bonham Carter's Bellatrix Lestrange. They've made a complete mockery of a very interesting character (from a psychoanalytical perspective). There's a lot of depth to Bella and the movies just utterly ruin that for me. :(

Advertisement