Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Actors that portray their characters well

Options
  • 08-05-2009 7:13am
    Moderators, Education Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 7,395 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Hi

Which actors in the HP films do you think that portray their respective characters the best?

My list:
    I think Umbridge in the film is excellent - she really gets that sickly sweet feeling across but yet is still horrible at the same time!

Richard Harris: He has that calm that Dumbledore in the book has. Michael Gambon acts more Gandalf-like than Dumbledore-like. However this has been discussed fully in another topic

Luna Lovegood - the Irish actress that plays her is very suitable - she looks so dreamy and if she has walked everywhere by accident!

Who are your favourites?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,240 ✭✭✭hussey

+1 for Richard Harris, he was amazing just perfect.

Snape was great in the first two, really horrible to watch and you hated him

• Registered Users Posts: 17,324 ✭✭✭✭Cathmandooo

I didn't hate or fear Snape enough in the films. He generally made me laugh, good actor but not a match for the scary character in the book.

I'd say the same for Umbridge but I did like how upbeat but secretly evil she was played in the film. In the book when Harry was made do the lines it sent shivers down my spine, the film just didn't capture the feeling of the pen digging into his hand (but perhaps thats the scenes fault rather than the actress).

Luna Lovegood would be spot on, just perfect and exactly how she should be.

Seamus was how I pictured him also.

It's hard to remember at this stage what my initial reaction and expectation was to the characters who have been there since day 1. Dudley always annoyed me, he wasn't what I had in my head at all.

Peter Pettigrew was played very well and true to form of the book.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 47,220 CMod ✭✭✭✭Black Swan

Emma Watson plays a grand nerd witch apprentice as Hermione Granger in HP, and is said to be a bit of a nerd in real life?

"She achieved eight A* and two A passes in her GCSEs (exams English school pupils take in their last compulsory year of secondary school).

Attended The Dragon School, a renowned preparatory school in Oxford, between September 1995 and July 2001. She then went on to attend Headington School, a private all-girls school, between September 2001 and July 2006."

Source: http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0914612/bio

Attended the "Dragon" school and she's a witch? What a craic!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,816 ✭✭✭✭flazio

David Thewlis as Remus Lupin for me. That tired look but that care and admiration for Harry as one one of the Marauders was beautiful to watch. Apart from Daniel Radcliffe's little "HE WAS THEIR FRIEND" wobble, everyone put in a great performance as their character in that film (Yes even Gambon as Dumbledore was wonderfully sparkly). Gleeson as fake Mad Eye was good, and I'm sure the classroom scene where Mad Eye singles out Seamus Finnigan for the gum was a nice nod back to the Irish education system.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34 dazf

I believe Alan Rickman as Snape is great!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14 lostanddribling

Evanna Lynch as Luna is excellent!:D and alan rickman, maggie smith and that one who plays mrs. weasley are all great too!oh yeah, and ralph fiennes FTW!!

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 7,395 Mod ✭✭✭✭**Timbuk2**

Oh some really good ones!

I agree - the actress that plays Mrs. Weasley is excellent - she really gets the strict yet loving attitude across

• Registered Users Posts: 7,020 ✭✭✭eVeNtInE

This post has been deleted.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 11,362 ✭✭✭✭Scarinae

I think Seamus is awful! He comes across as such a pikey

I remember thinking the Weasley twins seemed really wooden when I saw the first film, but they have greatly improved. In fact, a lot of the young actors were pretty bad in the first film, but have got a lot better - I thought Emma Watson was a complete overactor in the first one too, but she's much better now.

I actually really liked Kenneth Branagh's Lockhart... I had imagined Lockhart being a bit younger when I read the book, but I didn't mind it so much when I actually watched the Chamber of Secrets

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,056 ✭✭✭claire h

Beyond the first movie, Emma Watson, definitely. So perfectly Hermione.

I think most of the Weasleys are very well cast - be interested to see how Ginny develops in the upcoming movie.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 760 ✭✭✭mach1982

Emma Watson plays a grand nerd witch apprentice as Hermione Granger in HP, and is said to be a bit of a nerd in real life?

"She achieved eight A* and two A passes in her GCSEs (exams English school pupils take in their last compulsory year of secondary school).

Attended The Dragon School, a renowned preparatory school in Oxford, between September 1995 and July 2001. She then went on to attend Headington School, a private all-girls school, between September 2001 and July 2006."

Source: http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0914612/bio

Attended the "Dragon" school and she's a witch? What a craic!

And she is the only one of Trio that is going to University to finish off her education , just like Hermione went back to Hogwarts to get her NEWTS.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,658 ✭✭✭Patricide

Best portrayel i think was hagrid. Harris's dumbledore was fantastic also. Luna was pretty much EXACTLY as i had imagined her. Umbridge and mrs weasly were also great.

Am i the only one who thinks that Danielle Radcliffes harry is possibly the most agrivating character in all time movie history?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,196 ✭✭✭Crumble Froo

im still annoyed that daniel radcliffe doesnt have green eyes. he's nothing like i imagined.

ron, particularly in the first film, was awesome. he's waht made me keep watching it (i dont generally like films, and ive just realised that ive not seen the latest one.. ive not seen umbridge or luna, so can't comment on them).

dumbledore was great in the earlier ones, and snape and mcgonagall were perfect, i thought. twins were nothing like i'd imagined them really.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,816 ✭✭✭✭flazio

im still annoyed that daniel radcliffe doesnt have green eyes. he's nothing like i imagined.

ron, particularly in the first film, was awesome. he's waht made me keep watching it (i dont generally like films, and ive just realised that ive not seen the latest one.. ive not seen umbridge or luna, so can't comment on them).

dumbledore was great in the earlier ones, and snape and mcgonagall were perfect, i thought. twins were nothing like i'd imagined them really.

They tried to fit 11 year old Daniel Radcliffe with Green contacts but he suffered a reaction to it, so rather then get rid of Radcliffe and spend thousands of dollars that they didn't have yet auditioning another kid with either natural green eyes or could wear the lenses without a reaction, they decided to let that one smal piece of canon pass.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,694 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Definitely Alan Rickman as Snape in the top slot. Though to be fair he gets easily the best supporting character out of all the books.

Emma Watson for Second. Age 19? I'd hit that. And oh yeah she can act. >_>

James Andrew Eric Phelps and Oliver Martyn John Phelps for their role as Fred and George Weasley. They get almost no screen time but whenever you see them you end up grinning. Funny pair.

All in all though its hard to think of many actors that havent fit into their roles. I like Brendan Gleeson well enough, but he didn't play the Mad Eye Moody I had in mind. Draco is a pain to watch on screen most of the time too.

• Administrators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,905 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Toots

Overheal wrote: »
    Draco is a pain to watch on screen most of the time too.

+1, he's really annoying. I know he's meant to be annoying in the books, but that's more you're supposed to dislike him cos he's the 'baddie' not because he's useless.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭DancingQueen:)

I like Ron :D
    he just makes the character
    Cant wait for the new film xx

• Registered Users Posts: 760 ✭✭✭mach1982

flazio wrote: »
    They tried to fit 11 year old Daniel Radcliffe with Green contacts but he suffered a reaction to it, so rather then get rid of Radcliffe and spend thousands of dollars that they didn't have yet auditioning another kid with either natural green eyes or could wear the lenses without a reaction, they decided to let that one smal piece of canon pass.

They could , once the series is finished go back and digital change his eye to green.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,905 ✭✭✭✭Handsome Bob

I really like Rupert Grint (the best of the trio IMO), Helena Bonham Carter and Alan Rickman. I've read the books again recently and I could just perfectly imagine them all as their characters.

I am a bit underwhelmed by Daniel Radcliffe. Then again it could always be worse, thank god Spielberg didn't muscle his way into this franchise as we would have had Haley Joel Osmond (of "I see dead people" fame) as Harry Potter. I think Spielberg also wanted an American setting rather than a British one. Seriously WTF like?

LZ5by5 wrote: »
    I really like Rupert Grint (the best of the trio IMO), Helena Bonham Carter and Alan Rickman. I've read the books again recently and I could just perfectly imagine them all as their characters.

I am a bit underwhelmed by Daniel Radcliffe. Then again it could always be worse, thank god Spielberg didn't muscle his way into this franchise as we would have had Haley Joel Osmond (of "I see dead people" fame) as Harry Potter. I think Spielberg also wanted an American setting rather than a British one. Seriously WTF like?
    As far as i remember he wanted to set it as an american high school....hogwars would just not be the same...However id actually prefer haley joel osmond. Not that i actually like him as an actor but jeus christ danielle radcliffe is TERRIBLE!!(not to mention totally unlikeable)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭WesternNight

Alan Rickman, without a doubt.

Of the kids, Rupert Grint.

And yeah...I'd happily chop Daniel Radcliffe from the cast. I just can't make myself like him as an actor.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,390 ✭✭✭Stench Blossoms

I think Helena Bonham Carter plays Bellatrix Lestrange very well.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,038 ✭✭✭afatbollix

back in the first film the director made radcliff watson and grint write an essay about there characters... watson wrote a 8 page essay radcliff wrote 2 pages and grint dident bother.... its just what there characters would of done :P..

saying that they best actors are clint, watson, Evanna Lynch( luna ) umbridge and up till the new movie dumberdore...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,297 ✭✭✭Ron DMC

afatbollix wrote: »
    back in the first film the director made radcliff watson and grint write an essay about there characters... watson wrote a 8 page essay radcliff wrote 2 pages and grint dident bother.... its just what there characters would of done :P..

That is classic if it's true.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 7,395 Mod ✭✭✭✭**Timbuk2**

Was the actor of Dumbledore acting different in this movie because he knew that Dumbledore (the character) was gay?

I felt like he was acting a bit homo and un-Dumbledore-ish like in the HP6 movie ("Harry you need to shave" etc.) - it's so not what Dumbledore in the book would do.

No offence to gay people, just an observation.

back in the first film the director made radcliff watson and grint write an essay about there characters... watson wrote a 8 page essay radcliff wrote 2 pages and grint dident bother.... its just what there characters would of done ..

Thats classic haha.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,029 ✭✭✭Lockstep

Alan Rickman as Snape is fantastic, really captures the feel.

Gambon as Dumbeldore; exactly how I pictured Dumbledore allright.

Don't get me wrong, I love Evanna Lynch (comes across as quirky and in a world of her own) but the girl who played Lavender Brown was more how I pictured Luna Lovegood.

Love Hagrid as well. Robbie Coltrane suits him well.

• Registered Users Posts: 279 ✭✭pagancornflake

Don't get me wrong, I love Evanna Lynch (comes across as quirky and in a world of her own) but the girl who played Lavender Brown was more how I pictured Luna Lovegood.

Luna is hawt

luna-lovegood.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 9,029 ✭✭✭Lockstep

L-L-L-LUNAJACK

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 234 ✭✭Tableman

Alan Rickman as Snape is perfect (He is great at playing assholes!)

Rupert Grint is good as Ron

Emma Watson is perfect as Hermione

Helena Botham Carter is exactly as I imagined Bellatrix

Really, I think they did a great job at casting. Gleeson as Mad-Eye, Broadbent as Slughorn, Colthrane as Hagrid. All really suited to the roles.

The one that I really dislike is the girl who plays Ginny, She is nothing like I imagined her and her acting was awful in the last film

Advertisement