Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

N/M18 (for discussing COMPLETED sections)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,082 ✭✭✭Chris_533976

They whinge about the Ennis bypass yet they say nothing about the 100kmh S2 bit just north of the current DC end where you cant see round the sharp bends because of trees and hedges.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,133 ✭✭✭mysterious

dubhthach wrote: »
    You have to remember these are the same councillors who wanted to zone enough land around Ennis to double the population. One could argue that like the whoo-hah over Athlone bypass that it's in their interest if motorway restrictions weren't put on the bypass regarding access to development land etc.

They can't stop develepment around Ennis

The only devlopement they can stop is building on top of the interchange or building more slips or direct off roads to new development. People really don't have a clue what kind of development the motorway prohibits.

Its like the Athlone bypass it wouldn't make any difference if it were motorway or not.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,082 ✭✭✭Chris_533976

Councillors around Ennis though are notorious for ribbon development (Ennis is such a long town). I wouldnt trust them with anything, and their whinging about the bypass is a blatent grab for additional junctions and industrial estates.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,284 ✭✭✭dubhthach

mysterious wrote: »
    They can't stop develepment around Ennis

The only devlopement they can stop is building on top of the interchange or building more slips or direct off roads to new development. People really don't have a clue what kind of development the motorway prohibits.

Its like the Athlone bypass it wouldn't make any difference if it were motorway or not.

Did i mention anywhere in my post that making the ennis bypass a motorway would stop development around Ennis? I would have thought it was implied in my post that I was talking about slip roads/direct access roads been tacked onto Ennis Bypass so as to service newly zoned land. :rolleyes:

As for Athlone at least one councillor stated his opposition to change of status to motorway as it would prevent a development site been given access directly onto the athlone bypass. It would surprised me if there wasn't similiar thinking in Ennis, after all they have in recent Development plan zoned a huge amount of land around ennis including along the length of the Ennis bypass.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,015 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

So you think the Ennis Bypass is a suitable road for me to herd sheep along? Or walk or cycle on? or park up and have a picnic along the verge of?

Sheesh. Do you think the rest of western Europe (and most of the civilised world) just bans non-motorised traffic from MOTORways for the laugh or do you genuinely not see the safety benefits of it?

Or are you just trolling?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,133 ✭✭✭mysterious

murphaph wrote: »
    So you think the Ennis Bypass is a suitable road for me to herd sheep along? Or walk or cycle on? or park up and have a picnic along the verge of?

Sheesh. Do you think the rest of western Europe (and most of the civilised world) just bans non-motorised traffic from MOTORways for the laugh or do you genuinely not see the safety benefits of it?

Or are you just trolling?

Sheep? what about sheep?

Sheep? what about sheep?
    Without motorway restrictions there is nothing stoping farmer john from herding cattle along the N18 Ennis Bypass. Is that acceptable to you? I noticed you ignored the other scenarios (cyclists and peds using this fast interurban road for recreational purposes). You're very selective in what you reply to-I've noticed that about you a lot. I'm sure others have too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,093 ✭✭✭Amtmann

Blunt suggested to me a while ago that we should have a dedicated M18 wikipedia article to complement the N18 article. Can someone post here a list of all the junctions, the roads they'll connect to, and the villages/towns/settlements they serve. I need to build a table for the M18 such as you find on the M8, M7, M9 (etc) wikipedia articles.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,517 ✭✭✭veryangryman

I know this has probably been done to death but...

How on earth can you make the N18 Limerick to Crusheen Motorway. The place has..

-No emergency phones (ok other new motorways dont have it but still)
    -Right turns
    -Private Accesses to L-roads AND a couple of peoples houses

All im saying is that the standards used to define a motorway are slipping dramatically. Laziness and corner cutting is the norm thse days

• Registered Users Posts: 1,639 ✭✭✭Zoney

veryangryman:

Your knowledge of the route is I would suggest, not up to date or accurate.

There are no longer *any* right turns (median gaps) at all on the dual carriageway from outside Limerick (beyond Radisson where N7 SRR will join) to Crusheen.

From the end of the Bunratty bypass to the start of the Ennis bypass is HQDC (Newmarket-on-Fergus bypass nuilt as HQDC and the section of DC near the N19 junction was rebuilt/realigned and new GSJ at Hurler's Cross).

Ennis bypass is "standard dual carriageway" but it's new and there is only one "LILO" junction.

The private accesses directly onto mainline are all between Bunratty and Limerick which will remain N18.

• Advertisement

How on earth can you make the N18 Limerick to Crusheen Motorway. The place has..

-Right turns

All im saying is that the standards used to define a motorway are slipping dramatically. Laziness and corner cutting is the norm thse days
    They haven't reclassified ANY stretches of road with private accesses and right turns!!!

The parts of the N18 that are like this have NOT been reclassified as motorways. LILOs however are perfectly acceptable for motorway status IMO. Emergency phones are also dying a death in some countries as it's expected that people will have a mobile.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭Tech3

-Right turns

Limerick-Shannon is staying dual carriageway. All the points made above refer to that stretch. It will never be motorway unless a complete rebuild is done which wont be seen until 2090 if were lucky.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,044 ✭✭✭AugustusMaximus

tech2 wrote: »
    Limerick-Shannon is staying dual carriageway. All the points made above refer to that stretch. It will never be motorway unless a complete rebuild is done which wont be seen until 2090 if were lucky.

Well, a complete rebuild of the Midleton bypass is being done which includes a new road for alternative access.

Obviously planning to upgrade this stretch to motorway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,468 ✭✭✭BluntGuy

Furet wrote: »
    Blunt suggested to me a while ago that we should have a dedicated M18 wikipedia article to complement the N18 article. Can someone post here a list of all the junctions, the roads they'll connect to, and the villages/towns/settlements they serve. I need to build a table for the M18 such as you find on the M8, M7, M9 (etc) wikipedia articles.

Ah yes, I meant to start a page, but I had nothing to work with. I'm not familiar enough with the route and really needed some information on the junctions. I know there's a "junction 13" from one of the pictures on the thread, but that's about it.

I'll re-iterate the request for a list of all junctions, where they lead to, and the road they connect to. It would be most appreciated. :)

Here's the code I've been working with. It's been culled and snipped from the M8 page, but we can re-do it for the M18:
    [font=&quot]{{dablink|This motorway forms part of the N18 road.}}[/font]
    [font=&quot]{{IRL motorway routebox|[/font]
    [font=&quot]| parent = 100px[/font]
    [font=&quot]| motorway = M18[/font]
    [font=&quot]| length-km = [/font]
    [font=&quot]| length-mi = [/font]
    [font=&quot]| length-km-planned = [/font]
    [font=&quot]| length-mi-planned = [/font]
    [font=&quot]| direction = N-S[/font]
    [font=&quot]| start = Limerick[/font]
    [font=&quot]| destinations = Ennis, Gort, Galway[/font]
    [font=&quot]| end =[/font]
    [font=&quot]| opening-date = [/font]
    [font=&quot]| completion-date = 2010[/font]
    [font=&quot]| junctions = 18px100px<br>M17 motorway (upon completion)[/font]
    [font=&quot]| N-roads = [/font]
    [font=&quot]| euroroute = [/font]
    [font=&quot]}}[/font]

[font=&quot]The '''M18 motorway''' ({{lang-ga|Mótarbhealach M8}}) is a motorway in Ireland, forming the most part of the N18 Limerick to Galway national primary road. A The M8 commences in County Limerick and runs through counties Clare and Galway.[/font]
    [font=&quot]First called for in the Irish Government's Transport 21 plan for infrastructural development,<ref>http://www.transport21.ie/Projects/Roads/N8_Dublin_to_Cork.html</ref&gt; the majority of the M18 was built from 2006 and is due to be complete in 2011. Work is continuing to extend the M8 from its present northern terminus at Crusheen to its proposed junction with the M6 west of Galway. By late 2010 the motorway will have replaced much of the single-carriageway N18.[/font]

[font=&quot]==Route==[/font]
    [font=&quot]thumb|right|220px|Looking South from the Ennis junction flyover. This section of HQDC has been redesignated as motorway, effective 28 August, 2009.[/font]
    [font=&quot]==History==[/font]

[font=&quot]The present-day M18 was constructed in two sections between ? and 2007. In chronological order, these opened as follows:[/font]

[font=&quot]==Junctions==[/font]

[font=&quot]{| border=1 bgcolor=#fffff8 cellpadding=3 style="margin-left:1em; color: black; border-collapse: collapse;"[/font]
    [font=&quot]|- align="center" bgcolor=orange style="color: white;font-size:120%;"[/font]
    [font=&quot]| colspan="4"| '''M18 motorway (under construction)'''[/font]
    [font=&quot]|- align="center" bgcolor="000000" style="color: white"[/font]
    [font=&quot]| Northbound exit[/font]
    [font=&quot]| Junction[/font]
    [font=&quot]| Southbound exit[/font]
    [font=&quot]| Completion[/font]
    [font=&quot]|-[/font]
    [font=&quot]| The NORTHEAST ('''M7''' 20px)[/font]
    [font=&quot]- Dublin, Portlaoise, Kildare, Naas[/font]
    [font=&quot]| <center>18px[/font]
    [font=&quot]| Start of M8[/font]
    [font=&quot]| rowspan="3"|<center>'''Q4 2010''' <ref>http://www.nra.ie/RoadSchemeActivity/LaoisCountyCouncil/N8PortlaoisetoCullahillCastletown/SchemeName,15066,en.html</ref>[/font]
    [font=&quot]|-[/font]
    [font=&quot]| {{no2}} ''Entrance Only''[/font]
    [font=&quot]| {{no2}} ''Exit Only''[/font]
    [font=&quot]|-[/font]
    [font=&quot]| Abbeyleix, Rathdowney, Templemore ('''R433'''); Ballacolla, Durrow ('''R434''')[/font]
    [font=&quot]| Abbeyleix, Rathdowney, Templemore ('''R433'''); Ballacolla, Durrow ('''R434''')[/font]
    [font=&quot]|- align="center" bgcolor="0080d0" style="color: white;font-size:120%;"[/font]
    [font=&quot]| colspan="4"| '''M8 motorway'''[/font]
    [font=&quot]|colspan="2"| Southbound exit[/font]
    [font=&quot]|-[/font]
    [font=&quot]| End of motorway[/font]
    [font=&quot]| <center> '''Temporary Exit'''[/font]
    [font=&quot]|colspan="2"|Start of motorway[/font]
    [font=&quot]|-[/font]
    [font=&quot]| Urlingford, Johnstown ('''R639'''); Kilkenny ('''R693''')[/font]
    [font=&quot]|colspan="2"|Urlingford, Johnstown ('''R639'''); Kilkenny ('''R693''')[/font]
    [font=&quot]|-[/font]
    [font=&quot]| {{no2}} ''Entrance Only''[/font]
    [font=&quot]| <center>30px[/font]
    [font=&quot]|colspan="2"|Two-Mile Borris, Thurles ('''N75''')[/font]
    [font=&quot]|-[/font]
    [font=&quot]| Horse and Jockey ('''R639'''); Thurles ('''N62''')[/font]
    [font=&quot]|colspan="2"|Horse and Jockey ('''R639'''); Thurles ('''N62''')[/font]
    [font=&quot]|-[/font]
    [font=&quot]| Cashel, Dundrum ('''R639''')[/font]
    [font=&quot]|colspan="2"| Cashel, Dundrum ('''R639''')[/font]
    [font=&quot]|-[/font]
    [font=&quot]| {{no2}} ''Access Under Construction''[/font]
    [font=&quot]|colspan="2"| Cashel, Clonmel ('''R688''')[/font]
    [font=&quot]|-[/font]
    [font=&quot]| Cashel, New Inn ('''R639'''); Tipperary ('''N74''')[/font]
    [font=&quot]| colspan="2"|Cashel, New Inn ('''R639'''); Tipperary ('''N74''')[/font]
    [font=&quot]|-[/font]
    [font=&quot]| Cahir ('''R670'''); New Inn ('''R639'''); Clonmel, Limerick, Waterford ('''N24''')[/font]
    [font=&quot]|colspan="2"| Cahir ('''R670'''); New Inn ('''R639'''); Clonmel, Limerick, Waterford ('''N24''')[/font]
    [font=&quot]|-[/font]
    [font=&quot]| Cahir, Mitchelstown Cave[/font]
    [font=&quot]| colspan="2"|Cahir, Mitchelstown Cave[/font]
    [font=&quot]|-[/font]
    [font=&quot]| Kilbeheny ('''R639'''); Mitchelstown ('''N73''')[/font]
    [font=&quot]| colspan="2"| Kilbeheny ('''R639'''); Mitchelstown, Mallow ('''N73''')[/font]
    [font=&quot]|-[/font]
    [font=&quot]| Mitchelstown ('''R639'''); Mallow ('''N73''')[/font]
    [font=&quot]| colspan="2"| Mitchelstown ('''R639''')[/font]
    [font=&quot]|-[/font]
    [font=&quot]| Fermoy, Kilworth ('''R639''')[/font]
    [font=&quot]|colspan="2" | Fermoy, Kilworth ('''R639''')[/font]
    [font=&quot]|-[/font]
    [font=&quot]| Fermoy, Rathcormac ('''R639''')[/font]
    [font=&quot]|colspan="2"| Fermoy ('''R639''')[/font]
    [font=&quot]|-[/font]
    [font=&quot]| {{no2}} Rathcormac ('''R639'''; ''exit only'')[/font]
    [font=&quot]| colspan="2" {{no2}} ''Entrance Only''[/font]
    [font=&quot]|- align="center"[/font]
    [font=&quot]| colspan=4 | ''Toll plaza''[/font]
    [font=&quot]|-[/font]
    [font=&quot]| Watergrasshill ('''R639''')[/font]
    [font=&quot]|colspan="2"| Watergrasshill ('''R639''')[/font]
    [font=&quot]|- align="center" bgcolor="0080d0" style="color: white;font-size:120%;"[/font]
    [font=&quot]| colspan="4"| '''M8 motorway (28/8/09)'''[/font]
    [font=&quot]|colspan="2"| Southbound exit[/font]
    [font=&quot]|-[/font]
    [font=&quot]| Glanmire ('''R639''')[/font]
    [font=&quot]|colspan="2"|Glanmire ('''R639''')[/font]
    [font=&quot]|-[/font]
    [font=&quot]| ''Start of motorway''[/font]
    [font=&quot]|colspan="2"|Waterford, Midleton, Jack Lynch Tunnel ('''N25''')[/font]
    [font=&quot]|}[/font]

[font=&quot]==Future==[/font]
    [font=&quot]===Motorway redesignations affecting the M18===[/font]
    [font=&quot]On 30 September, 2008, the Irish National Roads Authority released the second tranche of potential motorway redesignations. The N18 redesignation proposals were approved on 10 July 2009 by the Irish Minister for Transport. When these redesignations come into effect on 28 August 2009<ref>http://www.transport.ie/upload/general/10978-9.pdf</ref>[/font]

[font=&quot]===Under construction===[/font]
    [font=&quot]===In Planning===[/font]
    [font=&quot]==See also==[/font]
    [font=&quot]* Roads in Ireland[/font]
    [font=&quot]* Motorways in the Republic of Ireland[/font]
    [font=&quot]* National primary road[/font]
    [font=&quot]* National secondary road[/font]
    [font=&quot]* Trunk Roads in Ireland[/font]
    [font=&quot]* History of roads in Ireland[/font]
    [font=&quot]* National Development Plan[/font]
    [font=&quot]* Transport 21[/font]

[font=&quot]==References==[/font]
    [font=&quot]{{reflist}}[/font]

[font=&quot]==External links==[/font]

[font=&quot]{{NPR IRL}}[/font]

[font=&quot]18[/font]
    [font=&quot]M18[/font]
    [font=&quot]Category:Roads in County Clare[/font]
    [font=&quot]Category:Roads in County Limerick[/font]

[font=&quot]ga:N18[/font]
    [font=&quot]no:N18[/font]
    [font=&quot]sv:N18[/font]

• Registered Users Posts: 1,639 ✭✭✭Zoney

murphaph wrote: »
    Emergency phones are also dying a death in some countries as it's expected that people will have a mobile.

I'm glad we're getting them here though as it is just cheapskate cost-cutting if anywhere has given up on them.

Mobile phones are not something to rely on in a life-or-death situation, despite their usefulness and the life saver they may sometimes prove.

a) person may even now not have a mobile phone (or even so may have accidentally lost it or left it at home/work.

b) person's mobile may be inoperable (e.g. battery run out)

c) there may be no coverage, or the cell may be overloaded (in an emergency situation).

Emergency phones have:
    a) power supply
    b) location specific (emergency services know where you are)
    c) regular placement
    d) permanent connection to emergency services

Here's the code I've been working with. It's been culled and snipped from the M8 page, but we can re-do it for the M18:

I see you like my work with the junction templates :D

THe junction numbering appears to be in reverse to most, running south to north according to openstreetmap.

All that stuff.

Yeah, should be pretty simple once somebody tells us the junction numbers and info.

The planned length is 70.8 km.
    The current length is roughly 22 km.

The last bit of the table will need to be for "proposed junctions". I decided on a nice red colour for that, and I think it should become the norm. It's on the N20 page.

Those tables can be a bit of a nightmare, doing the new N11 page table was a painful experience. Updating the rest of them wasn't too bad.

Also, we should slap up some of Tech2's great images onto the N20 and M18 pages, the only pictures on the N20 page atm are one of the current N20 DC (now M20 - of course, great stuff for a "history" section), and a rather dull looking snap taking by me at Mallow from the roadside (I was actually photographing a train at the time - but, whatever works heh).

I would make an M20 page too, but judging by the massive shadow of doubt that has been cast over the project, it won't be needed for a while. The M18 on the otherhand will be fairly substantial in length by the end of next year and with the planned improvements, it more than justifies its own page.

I see you like my work with the junction templates :D

THe junction numbering appears to be in reverse to most, running south to north according to openstreetmap.

Yes, I wasn't sure if it was yourself or childoforpheus that created it. You've been seldom seen 'round here of late!

BluntGuy wrote: »
    Ah yes, I meant to start a page, but I had nothing to work with. I'm not familiar enough with the route and really needed some information on the junctions. I know there's a "junction 13" from one of the pictures on the thread, but that's about it.

I'll re-iterate the request for a list of all junctions, where they lead to, and the road they connect to. It would be most appreciated. :)

Junction 13 is for Scariff one of the LILO's on the route. I guess when all the motorway signs are up it will give us a confirmation of the junction numbers. That junction 13 was taken is on the southbound carriageway therefore Crusheen GSJ and Gort GSJ would be junctions 14 and 15 respectively I guess.

I might have a look into this further tonight.

• Advertisement

The last bit of the table will need to be for "proposed junctions". I decided on a nice red colour for that, and I think it should become the norm. It's on the N20 page.

Noticed that, good call.
    Those tables can be a bit of a nightmare, doing the new N11 page table was a painful experience. Updating the rest of them wasn't too bad.

Well, frankly, it's beyond me. It may as well be quantum mechanics as far as I'm concerned!
    Also, we should slap up some of Tech2's great images onto the N20 and M18 pages, the only pictures on the N20 page atm are one of the current N20 DC (now M20 - of course, great stuff for a "history" section), and a rather dull looking snap taking by me at Mallow from the roadside (I was actually photographing a train at the time - but, whatever works heh).

Agreed, there's no need for the M8 page to be that far ahead of all the others quality-wise. All the motorway pages should be of the same standard in terms of content and photos.

Nice touch.

Blue - Motorway
    Green with yellow writing - National routes
    Red - In planning
    Orange - Under construction

Well, frankly, it's beyond me. It may as well be quantum mechanics as far as I'm concerned!

I spent years studying quantum mechanics, and believe me, the Wikipedia table system has it beat it in terms of complexity!

Okay, maybe that is a bit of slight exaggeration. Doesn't change the fact they're incredibly user-unfriendly for most people.

I spent years studying quantum mechanics, and believe me, the Wikipedia table system has it beat it in terms of complexity!

Okay, maybe that is a bit of slight exaggeration. Doesn't change the fact they're incredibly user-unfriendly for most people.

This is about the only page I made on wikipedia related to roads R576 Road. Complexity to say the least and that was a small page! :confused:

I've started the page at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/M18_motorway_(Ireland)

I've done up a junction template with the junction numbers from openstreetmap.

This leaves 8 junctions to be filled from Limerick to the start of the Ennis bypass section. I have no idea how many junctions there will be from the end of the Ennis bypass to Galway.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

are they acttually numbered on a DC ....or only on a MW , this does not mean they don't have numbers reserved for them .

I would personally expect the first to be numbered will be the Shannon town staggered pair as an a and b , sall we say 8a and 8b for them two at a guess ???

What do you call the short road between Junction 8B and the roundabout at Ballycasey cross where it becomes the R471 ??

8A will be the R471

| Shannon Town ('''Short Stumpy Road N of Ballycasey Roundabout in Shannon with no name''')
    | <center>30px
    |colspan="2"| Shannon Town ('''Short Stumpy Road N of Ballycasey Roundabout in Shannon with no name' leading to R471''')
    |- align="center" bgcolor="0080d0" style="color: white;font-size:120%;"
    | colspan="4"| '''M18 motorway (28/8/09)'''
    |- align="center" bgcolor="000000" style="color: white"
    | Northbound Entrance and Nortthbound Exit

| Shannon Town ('''R471''')
    | <center>30px
    |colspan="2"| Shannon Town ('''R671''')
    | Southbound Entrance and Southbound Exit
    | Junction
    |colspan="2"| Southbound exit

Sponge Bob wrote: »
    are they acttually numbered on a DC ....or only on a MW , this does not mean they don't have numbers reserved for them .

I would personally expect the first to be numbered will be the Shannon town staggered pair as an a and b , sall we say 8a and 8b for them two at a guess ???

What do you call the short road between Junction 8B and the roundabout at Ballycasey cross where it becomes the R471 ??

8A will be the R471

| Shannon Town ('''Short Stumpy Road N of Ballycasey Roundabout in Shannon with no name''')
    | <center>30px
    |colspan="2"| Shannon Town ('''Short Stumpy Road N of Ballycasey Roundabout in Shannon with no name' leading to R471''')
    | Northbound Entrance and Nortthbound Exit

| Shannon Town ('''R471''')
    | <center>30px
    |colspan="2"| Shannon Town ('''R671''')
    | Southbound Entrance and Southbound Exit
    | Junction
    |colspan="2"| Southbound exit

I would imagine that those two junction would be 7 and 8. Having 8A and 8B is only something you'd do if you ****ed up with the junction numbering. Although as you say, these mightn't be actual junctions at all and junctions 1 to 8 might be junctions left for a completely new motorway to be completed some time in the future.

BTW, after looking at the maps, providing an alternative route to the Limerick to Shannon piece wouldn't be all that difficult with an alternative route already existing for a lot of it. Would take maybe 4 or 5 miles of new single carriageway road at max. A bit of straightening on the dc stretch and not much else.

I've started to expand the article. More to follow. Tech2, it would be great if you could upload a few of your photos and maybe write something about the route from south to north.

This leaves 8 junctions to be filled from Limerick to the start of the Ennis bypass section. I have no idea how many junctions there will be from the end of the Ennis bypass to Galway.

There is two junctions on the Gort-Crusheen scheme under construction. These are the Crusheen interchange and the Gort Interchange. I'm starting to upload some photos onto the M18 wiki page now.

• Advertisement

tech2 wrote: »
    There is two junctions on the Gort-Crusheen scheme under construction. These are the Crusheen interchange and the Gort Interchange. I'm starting to upload some photos onto the M18 wiki page now.

Are these the only two junctions on this scheme ?

Advertisement