Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

So, what you playing at the mo? Retro Edition

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,980 ✭✭✭Kevster

vangoz wrote: »
    Indiana jones and the fate of atlantis (PC)
    How far have you gotten in that? I remember playing that many years ago and got stuck at a place where Indi was standing amongst 12 pedestals that had illustrations of the signs of the zodiac on them. Do you know this part?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,524 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Origin split more folk with their games, given they released the Wing Commander games, now I liked them, but more folk found them irritating, especially the FMV of the last two games, but by then they were subsumed into EA, as were Bullfrog.
    EA swallowed so many of the great programming talent from the 90's, I suppose there were good and bad features to that policy.
    My fave dev's from back in the day have to be ID and Looking Glass, awesome stuff.
    Flight Unlimited gave me more hours of pleasure than any other flight sim, and as for Doom, Quake and the rest, nuff said.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 15,183 Mod ✭✭✭✭Atavan-Halen

G.Darius arrived this morning, so will probably be playing that for the next while

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,702 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    EA swallowed so many of the great programming talent from the 90's, I suppose there were good and bad features to that policy.

It was all bad actually and EA will even admit that since when they acquired Criterion and Digital Illusions they said they will do things differently by leaving them mostly to their own devices. They completely and utterly destroyed Bullfrog and Origin, after a year of being absorbed almost all of the original teams had left.
    G.Darius arrived this morning, so will probably be playing that for the next while

Lucky you. Just make sure you understand the capture and beam battle mechanics.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,283 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Ah Crusader No Remorse! What a game that was. Still have it around somewhere for the Playstation. Really is a game I have to play through again.

It had a really cool CGI intro too.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,702 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Used to love crusader, both games. It's probably aged something terrible now but I remember it having an excellent soundtrack.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,283 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Crusader No Regret was the other one wasn't it? Never did get around to playing that.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,524 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

I'd love to lay my hands on the X-Com games for the PS1, they were pretty cool, the first two anyway.
    I know they are quite rare now, probably mostly in the hands of enthusiasts I'd say, the turn based feckers!

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

After getting the SNES emulator running on my Wii and currently plowing throught Super Metroid, god what a game, still so playable after all these years, snes is the best console ever

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,920 ✭✭✭✭Gummy Panda

krudler wrote: »
    After getting the SNES emulator running on my Wii and currently plowing throught Super Metroid, god what a game, still so playable after all these years, snes is the best console ever

is it me or does samus move a lot slower in Super Metroid compared to Metroid: Zero misson?

I wish they'd make a 2d metroid game for DS. None of these metroid hunters or metroid pinball. No touch gimicks either e.g. Dawn of Sorrow and drawing the seals.

• Advertisement

Retro games are on hold at the mo, back playing Far Cry 2, Rogue Galaxy and a spot of Wii Sports Island thingy, all good, just waiting on copies of Micro Machines/Micro Machines 2 and Micro Machines 96 to land on my doorstep and then it'll retro-game-on once again.

Far Cry 2 does seem better this time though, now the hype has settled and I'm playing it a little more "free form" and having more fun.

• Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭Snesfan

Finished Skyblazer yesterday, what a game!

Playing a load of old 16 bit and 8 bit platformers. Have been getting home late recently so don't have the time to play Perona but these are keeping me more than happy. Really want to get into secret of mana and shin megami tensei once I finish Persona 3.

Nice. I must admit I've never played the shin megami tensei games but I have heard good things. secret of evermore is my RPG at the moment, finding it hard to commit to it though!

I've only recently started getting into the series since I played Persona 3 and absolutely ****ing love it. It seems that the SMT games are actually really popular with everyone who has played them and pretty much wipe the floor with the final fantasy series in terms of... well everything. I've also haven't heard anyone that has played SMT 3: Nocturne say it was anything less than the best RPG ever made :) Only one problem with them is that they can be a bit grind heavy but since they have a demon collection mechanism like pokemon then it's not as bad. Can't wait to finish Persona 3 so I can play more of them and can't believe I haven't gotten into the series sooner.

Came across new copies of both Persona 3 and Persona 4 in Gamestop in Blanchardstown for €20 and €25 respectively.
    If what you say is true Retro, they are must haves?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,067 ✭✭✭Gunmonkey

Broke out my GC for the week long wait for Shadow Complex.

Finally finished Paper Mario: 1000 Year Door after several years since I started it, gonna restart Wind Waker now.

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    Came across new copies of both Persona 3 and Persona 4 in Gamestop in Blanchardstown for €20 and €25 respectively.
    If what you say is true Retro, they are must haves?

Persona 3 is probably the best RPG I've ever played.

Persona 4 is meant to be better.

So yeah dont bother with them :P

I think I'm going to have to get a copy of them myself!

Do, they really are that good.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 177 ✭✭Crowman

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    I've only recently started getting into the series since I played Persona 3 and absolutely ****ing love it. It seems that the SMT games are actually really popular with everyone who has played them and pretty much wipe the floor with the final fantasy series in terms of... well everything. I've also haven't heard anyone that has played SMT 3: Nocturne say it was anything less than the best RPG ever made :) Only one problem with them is that they can be a bit grind heavy but since they have a demon collection mechanism like pokemon then it's not as bad. Can't wait to finish Persona 3 so I can play more of them and can't believe I haven't gotten into the series sooner.

You should try Soul Hackers on the Saturn...
    You'll need a translation (gamefaq) but it's a damn fine game in the SMT mould.

If is there a full faq translation for devil summoner 1 and 2? I've heard they are excellent games but was a little annoyed that they along with SMT If... are the only ones not translated. Also the translation patch that is being worked on is for the PS1 versions only which isn't as good as the saturn game. Would love to play them because I heard they are really excellent.

Stupid Sony stopped Atlus bringing the PS1 versions of the devil summoners to America :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,569 ✭✭✭✭Tallon

Persona

loading it onto my PSP as we speak :pac:

Persona 1 is very different from 3 and 4 though. It wasn't a great game on the PS1 but I think that was due to some disgraceful load times and very poor localisation. Howver I heard the PSP fixes all that and adds back in the quest with the, eh, penis monster.

Here Retro, are these what you're looking for?
    Devil Summoner
    http://www.gamefaqs.com/console/ps2/game/929098.html

Devil Summoner 2
    http://www.gamefaqs.com/console/ps2/game/951791.html

Nope not thoose two, have them both already :)

It's Shin Megami Tensei: Devil Summoner and Devil Summoner: Soul Hackers. Both are first person RPGs while the ones you mentioned are action RPG hybrids (and rather good ones I've heard).

• Registered Users Posts: 177 ✭✭Crowman

If is there a full faq translation for devil summoner 1 and 2? I've heard they are excellent games but was a little annoyed that they along with SMT If... are the only ones not translated. Also the translation patch that is being worked on is for the PS1 versions only which isn't as good as the saturn game. Would love to play them because I heard they are really excellent.

Stupid Sony stopped Atlus bringing the PS1 versions of the devil summoners to America :mad:

Sorry i should explain, it's more of a walkthru than a full translation of all text.
    I think this is the one I use...

http://www.gamefaqs.com/console/psx/file/575251/5012
    Not a full translation but its enought to let you know what's going on. I have to admit I'm not a fan of playing games with a translation on my knee, but I do think you should give it a go, especially if you enjoy other games in the series. I got it cheap for my fav retro console, the Saturn. :)

Thanks, think I'll play the other games though and keep my fingers crossed for a fan translation, maybe aeon genesis will do one whenever they finish the PS1 ones. Pity they aren't doing a saturn version since they are already having trouble with the PS1 versions since it code is crazy because it's basically the saturn code ported over to the PS1.

Well, bit the bullet.
    I bought a copy of Persona 3, preowned and not the FES edition, I figure I'll never get far enough for that to matter!
    It was only 12.99 as well! Nice!

Also got Ferrari 355 Challenge and Strikers 1945 1&2, all three for €17, not bad at all, and now no more games buying!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,332 ✭✭✭valleyoftheunos

Have gone back to Zelda LttP on Virtual Console after an aborted start a few months ago and am just loving it.

What I'm not loving however is the Gamecube controller I'm using, I never liked the 'cube controller and think I may have to pay out for Classic.

Advertisement