Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

N3-M50 interchange

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 311 ✭✭Skyhater

mackerski wrote: »
    I've been thinking a little about this - it's certainly true that any traffic coming outbound on the N3 and wanting to join M50 N will have to follow a more clumsy route. But how many drivers actually do this?......

I totally agree. Although I only occasionally come along the N3 outbound in rush hour, there only ever seems to be a small amount of traffic going onto the M50N. Most of the traffic continues along the N3.
    I'm sure there will be some teething problems at the Blanchardstown roundabout, where some signal timings may need changing. To totally safeguard against any issues on the Blanch R/A, I would have changed the right lane to "right turn only" and convert the left lane to "Straight through or Blanch Village". This way any backlog of traffic on the R/A (going N3Out>M50North) would not interfere with Navan Bound traffic.

• Registered Users Posts: 554 ✭✭✭brownbinman

the changeover finally happened this morning.

I came from Blanch village and was easy peasy getting onto the M50

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 7,840 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

Cool, I use this route alot, looing forward to somebody getting pictures.

• Registered Users Posts: 337 ✭✭ciaran75

also came through and traffic to the m50 north moved very well.

however, traffic to the m50 roundabout was worse than normal seemed to be huge number of cars going right around the roundabout so right lane was fully blocked and not really moving much. probably just down to people not knowing sliproad was closed and have go back to blanch roundabout.

also, they have bollards up coming up to entrance to gym effectively closing inner lane. so the three lanes now you have inner lane trying to merge with centre lane at the gym (causes delay) and the outer lane not really moving at all.

if they need to block off inner lane they should do it at blanch roundabout, don't see a need for them to let cars on it at all for 100meters.

N3 inbound looks deserted, and outbound looks to be running well.
    You can see the trucks, etc on the slip road.

Attachment from Dublin City Traffic Website

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,408 ✭✭✭chewed

Skyhater wrote: »
    I totally agree. Although I only occasionally come along the N3 outbound in rush hour, there only ever seems to be a small amount of traffic going onto the M50N. Most of the traffic continues along the N3.
    I'm sure there will be some teething problems at the Blanchardstown roundabout, where some signal timings may need changing. To totally safeguard against any issues on the Blanch R/A, I would have changed the right lane to "right turn only" and convert the left lane to "Straight through or Blanch Village". This way any backlog of traffic on the R/A (going N3Out>M50North) would not interfere with Navan Bound traffic.

The only issue will be the opening of Ikea next week! This is inevitably going to mean more traffic wanting to get onto the M50 Northbound from the city.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,449 ✭✭✭Heroditas

chewed wrote: »
    The only issue will be the opening of Ikea next week! This is inevitably going to mean more traffic wanting to get onto the M50 Northbound from the city.

They'd be nearly as quick if they went up through Phibsboro and Ballymun

• Registered Users Posts: 9,449 ✭✭✭Heroditas

I can see the N3 from my office and at the moment the traffic is backed up from the M50 roundabout back as far as the overbridge at the Phoenix Park station. Imagine what it'll be like by 5? :rolleyes:

EDIT: currently it's taking 40-45 minutes to get from the Halfway House to the M50 roundabout

• Registered Users Posts: 2,278 ✭✭✭mackerski

The updated state of this junction is now reflected on OpenStreetMap

• Registered Users Posts: 524 ✭✭✭richardjjd

According to livedrive, it was taking 70mins from Half Way house to get through the Blanch/Scotts roundabout by 530pm, and an hour to get clear of the M50 roundabout in bound - I avoided it! Was it just the new junctions, or did the crashes on the m50 at blanch and finglas ramps have something to do with it?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 569 ✭✭✭Ice_Box

richardjjd wrote: »
    According to livedrive, it was taking 70mins from Half Way house to get through the Blanch/Scotts roundabout by 530pm, and an hour to get clear of the M50 roundabout in bound - I avoided it! Was it just the new junctions, or did the crashes on the m50 at blanch and finglas ramps have something to do with it?

The crashes had nothing to do with it anyway. They were southbound just before blanch.

Sounds like a bad start. I have to say that i'm slightly surprised. Lets just hope it's teething problems and people getting used to the new layout. However it may be due to Light timings and lane layout at the Blanch R/A. As i said before, i think they should change the N3 outbound lane allocation
    ..... To totally safeguard against any issues on the Blanch R/A, I would have changed the right lane to "right turn only" and convert the left lane to "Straight through or Blanch Village". This way any backlog of traffic on the R/A (going N3Out>M50North) would not interfere with Navan Bound traffic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,082 ✭✭✭✭Random

I'm just back from taking that route now from town M50 northbound. That junction is a disaster. They need to sort the road marking much more clear. There's yellow lines, solid white lines, dashed white lines, black lines, faded lines. Everyone breaking, hesitating, swerving.

Shockingly poor setup IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,942 ✭✭✭✭Stark

Sounds like a bad start. I have to say that i'm slightly surprised. Lets just hope it's teething problems and people getting used to the new layout. However it may be due to Light timings and lane layout at the Blanch R/A. As i said before, i think they should change the N3 outbound lane allocation

They changed the lane allocations this morning exactly according to your suggestion actually:
    Skyhater wrote:
    To totally safeguard against any issues on the Blanch R/A, I would have changed the right lane to "right turn only" and convert the left lane to "Straight through or Blanch Village". This way any backlog of traffic on the R/A (going N3Out>M50North) would not interfere with Navan Bound traffic.

It'll take people a while to get used to that though. I think the main problem is still going to be reduced priority for inbound traffic at the lights.

⛥ ̸̱̼̞͛̀̓̈́͘#C̶̼̭͕̎̿͝R̶̦̮̜̃̓͌O̶̬͙̓͝W̸̜̥͈̐̾͐Ṋ̵̲͔̫̽̎̚͠ͅT̸͓͒͐H̵͔͠È̶̖̳̘͍͓̂W̴̢̋̈͒͛̋I̶͕͑͠T̵̻͈̜͂̇Č̵̤̟̑̾̂̽H̸̰̺̏̓ ̴̜̗̝̱̹͛́̊̒͝⛥

Stark wrote: »
    They changed the lane allocations this morning exactly according to your suggestion actually:
    Wow... Sometimes I do talk sense :)
    Stark wrote: »
    It'll take people a while to get used to that though. I think the main problem is still going to be reduced priority for inbound traffic at the lights.
    Totally Agree!!!

Having travelled through the junction for the fist time today, I have to say N3Inbount > M50N is brilliant and gives us a first glance of the free-fall in action.

On the way back, there were absolutely no issues or tailbacks anywhere; however next week will tell. Hopefully things will have settled by the end of the week.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,221 ✭✭✭BrianD

Random wrote: »
    I'm just back from taking that route now from town M50 northbound. That junction is a disaster. They need to sort the road marking much more clear. There's yellow lines, solid white lines, dashed white lines, black lines, faded lines. Everyone breaking, hesitating, swerving.

Shockingly poor setup IMO.

Drove through it today. It's a real mess and very careless work by whoever the contractor is. The markings just after he Blanch roundabout heading north are particularly bad ... it's almost like graffitti!

It's better today in that they have actually put arrows and writing on the ground in each of the lanes but it's still far too misleading and not clear enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 337 ✭✭ciaran75

drove directly though into town this morning only briefly stopping (30 seconds or so) at blanch lights. Best i've ever done it in.

They have finished the tarmac on new divertion between main roundabout and auburn. just needs lines etc. now. should be done very soon i'd imagine. (see attached)

I really don't like the 3 lanes outbound after the blanch roundabout. The outside one just vanishes into nothing and i don't even remember seeing any obvious warning signs to that effect.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,092 ✭✭✭celticbest

Signage is very poor before and after the R/A outbound, it's the usual wait to see what people complain about and then update or change signage and road markings.

It just seems to me that the planning of diversions is secondary to the upgrade works on all parts of the M50. This could end up with a major accident as people blindly try to navigate through a new diversion.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

I taught the white signs do the job, they show the 3 lanes, and the right one is for turning right for M50N, as for the road markings they are quite poor.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

Should be green signs on a National primary route.
    there was a vms before the Auburn rab going on about the bus lane in D2 intead of the major diversion ahead. If you're leaving the city why tell drivers about changes in the city centre????

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 7,840 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

Was heading from the M50 to N3 Outbound last night and saw a few drivers get very confused. The main problem seems to be that the outside lane is no longe for N3 traffic. When you head onto the N3 the lanes are badly marked and somebody nearly sideswiped us as they were coming out of the now incorrect lane.

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭ofjames

ciaran75 wrote: »
    drove directly though into town this morning only briefly stopping (30 seconds or so) at blanch lights. Best i've ever done it in.

They have finished the tarmac on new divertion between main roundabout and auburn. just needs lines etc. now. should be done very soon i'd imagine. (see attached)

i've seen this alright. is it just me or does the downward gradient in the road for this diversion seem terribly steep?

liamog wrote: »
    Was heading from the M50 to N3 Outbound last night and saw a few drivers get very confused. The main problem seems to be that the outside lane is no longe for N3 traffic. When you head onto the N3 the lanes are badly marked and somebody nearly sideswiped us as they were coming out of the now incorrect lane.

I have to say... there does seem to be enough signs after the M50 R/A. (Signs before the M50 R/A may be confusing). There are some drivers on the road that wouldn't see a sign if it hit them in the face, there are other drivers that just don't understand some signs...., (There are some in my own family that i'd put in those categories)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,221 ✭✭✭BrianD

I have to say... there does seem to be enough signs after the M50 R/A. (Signs before the M50 R/A may be confusing). There are some drivers on the road that wouldn't see a sign if it hit them in the face, there are other drivers that just don't understand some signs...., (There are some in my own family that i'd put in those categories)

The signage is not a problem. It's the road markings that are a problem. You get into the correct lane according to the signs and then the lane markings lead you all over the place! Especially northbound after the Blanch roundabout.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,092 ✭✭✭celticbest

Just heading into work this morning & noticed a new road inbound between the M50 & Auburn R/A, this seems to be a loop of the N3.

Does anybody know why this road has been built? It seems to be similar in layout to the loop on the M50 South Blanchardstown off ramp.

Is it just me or does their appear to be 3 lanes coming off the roundabout onto the N3 outbound. This was where we nearly got swiped. They may have fixed it up now but the lane markings were not overly clear.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 glovehead

yeah, there's 3 lanes coming off the Blanch r'bout. The other day a car in front of me was almost swiped by someone coming out of phantom 3rd lane, which looked pretty crazy. Had a look at it this morning with less traffic and the 3rd lane is on the temporary concrete and just disappears about 20 meters after r'bout when the road straightens up. Not even any road markings telling traffic to merge.

My first post but a long-time reader. Glad I'm not the only road-nerd out there! :D

• Advertisement

OK this is ridiculous, something really needs to be done about this Phantom lane before an accident happens. Whilst passing through today we were in the correct lane, there was a que of traffic in the phantom lane. At the front of the lane were two drivers who were exchanging details. Obviousley the drivers should not have been doing this in the middle of road. Because of this a gentleman in a people carrier decided to pull out. Most drivers would probably think to indicate or look before pulling out into another lane. For some reason this guy decided not to and nearly rammed into the side of the car. This lead us to have to slam on the breaks and swerve over.

If an accident did happen here I think it would cause alot of damage/distruption as the traffic is coming off the roundabout and the road is pretty closed in due to the ongoing works.

Thats twice now in as many weeks that we have nearly been hit by traffic coming out of the phantom lane.

Advertisement