Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why are Irish people getting so fat??

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,478 ✭✭✭magick

op u hit the nail on the head,

basically WoW and a dominoes pizza phone number

• Closed Accounts Posts: 171 ✭✭BlackandGold

Why are Americans so thick??

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

Yes, we have become fat, with knowledge. ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 421 ✭✭procure11

........And yet the whole world is anxiously waiting for them to get over their recession so we can at least have a chance to overcome ours.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

SO, fair people of Ireland - my question is: Why the hell are you porking up so much? Is it too much calorie-laden food? Too much drink? Too much PS/Xbox/World of Warcraft?
    Obviously it's those.

Countdown to particular focus on Irish women starts... now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,800 ✭✭✭Senna

Why are Irish people getting so fat??

Because the hole at the front is bigger than the hole at the rear.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭LD 50

Too much food, drink, boards, a lack of sex, and not enough exercise, sex, and healthy eating.

Simple as IMO

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,918 ✭✭✭✭orourkeda

A penchant for cheesy puffs

• Closed Accounts Posts: 437 ✭✭yank_in_eire

Becasue statistically speaking we are a poorly educated people with a narrow world view.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,048 ✭✭✭✭Snowie

You'd think so, looking at our countrys, government.

*dreams*

Fat Camp for Fianna Fail... wouldn't that be so much fun to watch.....

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,442 ✭✭✭Bandit12

Cars. People now drive everywhere instead of walking or cycling. Also if you remember years back it was usually the dad in the family who had a car and went to work in it, now every mam has one and the difference is she can fill the thing with food unlike years ago when she could only carry home a few bags of stuff. More food = fatter people.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,443 ✭✭✭Fink Goddie

Personally i blame Mary Harney!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,991 ✭✭✭metamorphosis

Where I'm from back in the States it's not unusual to see people who are so fat they can't walk and have to use those electric scooters to haul their lard around.
    When I first visited Ireland 8 years ago you had to search far and wide to find a big fattie like that but now your average day trip to the Square will result in more sightings that you can jiggle a cellulite-pocked buttock at.

SO, fair people of Ireland - my question is: Why the hell are you porking up so much? Is it too much calorie-laden food? Too much drink? Too much PS/Xbox/World of Warcraft? Is it glandular? Are you just big-boned? Or are you emulating the sterling image provided by your wonderfully fit Minister for Health??:eek:

Help me understand!:confused:

Americanization!

And people are getting lazier than ever and can't put down the fork as wll as the fact 8 years ago people walked everywhere pretty much whereas now everyman and his donkey (except me!) has a car.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,671 ✭✭✭BraziliaNZ

the square in tallaght, lol, well you'll see a lot of fat people there. People from poor backgrounds are fat in Ireland these days, especially the females. If you look at what they buy in supermarkets, their trolley will contain heavily processed foods, chips, lots of fizzy drinks, and no fresh fruit/veg. Healthy food is just as cheap but these people wont eat vegetables or anything remotely healthy because they think it tastes awful. It's poor nutritional education. It's strange how the more educated/moneyed you are these days the less likely you are to be fat, it's a class thing now from what i can see. As I type this there are two enormously porky townie girls in pjs wheeling buggies past my office, probably going to buy sausage rolls for breakfast.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,262 ✭✭✭✭jester77

Ah now, people are not getting fatter, you need perspective, you come from the US... that is far away.

This might help explain it

• Registered Users Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

freedom of choice and free trade and capitalism making all the bad choices too easily available.

add to that a misguided societal acceptance that "it's not your fault" and a lack of self control and you have yourself a problem.

i'm overweight and i know exactly why. i take in more calories than I burn, simple as that.

i know that junk food is bad for me, but I like it and it's too easy to go and get a large double whopper with cheese and bacon meal instead of a salad and "sure, one little burger isn't going to make any difference now", even though in the big scheme of things I know that the calories in it are effectively a cumulative poison that is slowly turning me into a whale and poisoning me over time and will eventually (probably) be the cause of my death, but..........

I..........JUST............CAN'T..........STOP.........EATING.......CRAPPY.........FOOD. :(

for some of us, food is an addictive substance, but unlike other addicts, we can't just cut out our addiction completely because we need it to survive. how many alcoholics or other drug addicts could control their addiction if they needed a small amount of their drug of choice several times a day to stay alive?

i'm sure people will berate me for comparing an addiction to food to the likes of booze or coke or heroin or whatever, but for some of us it's just that addictive.

I used to drink heaps of booze many times a week (3.5 years living it up in tenerife) and could polish off a bottle of vokda in a night and still find my way home at my peak, and i also took a shedload of class A's whilst I was there too and never developed any addiction to any of it. i've even regularly smoked cigarettes and pot since i was in my teens and gave both of those up without any problems whatsoever, but 'food' has it's claws in me and won't let go.

i've tried every diet under the sun and exercised, but i'm just not able to keep them up for any length of time. I'm not looking for any sympathy (not that I'd get any in AH anyways :p), I just wanted to say what was on my mind.

sorry, was I supposed to do a funneh answer?

in that case it's cos of YORE MA'S Atari Jaguar. :p

• Registered Users Posts: 716 ✭✭✭DamoDLK

No worries, this wee recession will make us skinny wee feckers again! nothing to do with the yanks at all!

• Registered Users Posts: 27,322 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Because pies are ****ing brilliant!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,942 ✭✭✭topper75

Excuses: 1,000,000,000
    Reasons: 1 (laziness)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,305 ✭✭✭nibtrix

gurramok wrote: »
    Its all those drunks going to the chipper after the pub. All that food inside your belly when drunk is not good for you :)

Whaaaaat?!?!?!?!? Everyone knows that food consumed while drunk contains no calories!!! :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 70 ✭✭golum

Just comes down to food really, no great mystery. More in than out,fat. More out than in, thin. Simple as that.Irish people are stuffing their faces more than ever before. Doesn't help matters that poor /welfare dependent people wouldn't eat fruit or vegetables even under threat of execution, (and they also avoid work and exercise like the plague)

• Registered Users Posts: 842 ✭✭✭starflake

Since the 60's agriculture has gone into serious decline, IT industry started to grow.

Since 2000 The housing industry started to decline, unemployment on the rise.

Each leading to decline in physical activity.

Huge urbanisation since the sixties also. There's always a McDonalds around.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

topper75 wrote: »
    Excuses: 1,000,000,000
    Reasons: 1 (laziness)
    i'd reply, but i can't due to 1 reason. :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 mucho

dont pis the spank off or she will invade........

might create a few jobs .....

• Registered Users Posts: 577 ✭✭✭Milky Moo

Americanization is an Americanisation!

Yes OP it is glandular and genetics and the fact we are big boned.
    It only happened to start to affect us now that we are eating alot more crappy food and living more sedentary lifestyles.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,405 ✭✭✭RHunce

i heard somewhere that obesity was more of a problem, especially with kids in the late 70's and throughout the 80's

• Registered Users Posts: 1,479 ✭✭✭t-ha

Because jogging, running, roller-blading, yoga, pilates and tai chi are gay. Tag-rugby is middling. Swimming is cold. Football is hard to organise.

Microwavable burritto is ready in 45 seconds.

QED.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,148 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

id have to say the introduction of the national confectionary companys jungle jellies to the market, an 8 month knee injury, and learning to drive is my reason.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 321 ✭✭CPT. SURF

Been living in the states for 10 years. Went back to Cork this summer for a holiday, had not been back in 5 years. So many fat people, even more than where I live in Florida (though I live in a beach community where the weather is good and the outdoor lifestyle is promoted).

Whatever the reason, there are way more fatties in Ireland than there was when I was growing up in the 80s. Fact

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,836 ✭✭✭TanG411

I've been fat my whole life. That's 17years :o

I blame t.v., computers, technology to make things easy, lazyness, the poor summer weather, scumbags mocking you as you pass them for no reason, people you know for a long time suddenly turning their back against you. I hate them so much. :mad:

But I also blame myself for not doing anything about it. Kinda makes me feel sad really. There's just no motivation there. I even thought that the chart in my signature would motivate me, but it doesn't.

Ah well, that's life.

Advertisement