Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

U2 Croke Park 2009 - all discussion, no ticket sales.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,580 ✭✭✭Splendour

kennyu272 wrote: »
    I thought the sound on friday when i was in the redzone was perfect and loud.Saturday on the other hand it seemed very low i was lower cusack.Last night the sound seemed loudest of all i was hogan upper in line with the stage.So i think the sound varys in relation to where you are in the stadium.

Definitely think it depends on where you are in the Stadium. I was on the upper Cusack and the vocals weren't very loud at all, yet a friend of my was in the lower Cusack stand and said the sound was perfect! Was talking with a guard on the way out last night and he said the volume was lower last night than had been other nights. Good to know 'cos I thought I was going deaf...:rolleyes: Maybe the lower volume was to do with it being a monday night?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 AlexanderPlatz

I went to the gig on Saturday with my wife and two friends. We went early and got a good position on the pitch. The last time I seen U2 was in the RDS in 1993 for the Zoo TV Tour. For me that was the band at their peak touring there best album Achtung Baby...

Having said that I thought the gig on Saturday was great, Kaiser Chiefs really got the crowd warmed up...I love the fact U2 are using two David Bowie songs for their intro...And although I didn`t think Breathe was the right song to open the show, I was proved wrong on Saturday...It was a great start to the gig and the whole stadium just seemed up for the gig from the very start....I even enjoyed Get Your Boots On, a song I hated but works great live....

Some great moments,everyone singing Stand by Me, Walk On was very powerful, always amazing to hear songs like Pride, Sunday Bloody Sunday and One, I think it says something about U2 that after all this years they can still bring these songs to life....

My highlights were Unforgettable Fire, you really got to see the power of the stage and lights and the song for me is one of the bands best...Moment of Surrender is the best song on the new album and is stunning live....

The crowd were really something else on Saturday and I think the band were shocked by the atomsphere...It was shame the gig had to end at 11, as much as I love Croke Park, maybe it is not the best venue for gigs....

As much as Bono can sometimes be a dick, we should take huge pride in the fact that U2 are Irish...There will never be a band like them again...And standing on the pitch showed how much Dublin and Ireland has changed...In 1993 the crowd was all Irish, on Saturday at the front the Irish were in the minority...

Thanks to U2 for a night to remember....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37 pmacdot

wow sierra wrote: »
    The stewards wouldnt allow people to stand where we were for the first bit - I suppose people are entitled to be able to see while sitting. Everyone got up for after while though.

Also maybe some of the people who were sitting in their seats for the gigs are U2 fans for the last 30+ years who maybe are gone beyond the "Pit" stage of their lives. Been there, did that in the 70s and 80s. Doesnt mean they werent enjoying the show. Just a thought.
    I think you are right, personally I think people who pay for seats are entitled to sit for the best part of the show although spontaneity does play a part in that regard. I am beginning to think some people just get seats to keep dry under the canopy.The crowd were young in the seats around us but generally it is best to go below if you want to dance. Sometimes there are reasons why standing is not an option for some and they are entitled to enjoy a concert too. Remember many of the "greats" are getting on in years themselves!!!!
    All in all great concerts and well worth it.:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37 pmacdot

I went to the gig on Saturday with my wife and two friends. We went early and got a good position on the pitch. The last time I seen U2 was in the RDS in 1993 for the Zoo TV Tour. For me that was the band at their peak touring there best album Achtung Baby...

Having said that I thought the gig on Saturday was great, Kaiser Chiefs really got the crowd warmed up...I love the fact U2 are using two David Bowie songs for their intro...And although I didn`t think Breathe was the right song to open the show, I was proved wrong on Saturday...It was a great start to the gig and the whole stadium just seemed up for the gig from the very start....I even enjoyed Get Your Boots On, a song I hated but works great live....

Some great moments,everyone singing Stand by Me, Walk On was very powerful, always amazing to hear songs like Pride, Sunday Bloody Sunday and One, I think it says something about U2 that after all this years they can still bring these songs to life....

My highlights were Unforgettable Fire, you really got to see the power of the stage and lights and the song for me is one of the bands best...Moment of Surrender is the best song on the new album and is stunning live....

The crowd were really something else on Saturday and I think the band were shocked by the atomsphere...It was shame the gig had to end at 11, as much as I love Croke Park, maybe it is not the best venue for gigs....

As much as Bono can sometimes be a dick, we should take huge pride in the fact that U2 are Irish...There will never be a band like them again...And standing on the pitch showed how much Dublin and Ireland has changed...In 1993 the crowd was all Irish, on Saturday at the front the Irish were in the minority...

Thanks to U2 for a night to remember....

Exactly, it is a great feeling to see such a hugely successful group like U2 and the fact that they were Irish is really icing on the cake, in Croke Park ,or anywhere else for that matter. The crowd around us were Brazilian! It was nice for the visitors to see the band on their own home turf.

• Registered Users Posts: 388 ✭✭Tuesday_Girl

PS: The Script were brilliant. Had the crowd in their hands. It was a pity there was such a gap after they finished before U2 came on.

It was the same in Amsterdam last week, Snow Patrol were excellent but after they finished it took 35 minutes for U2 to appear and people were getting a bit restless and tetchy by then.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 17,689 ✭✭✭✭OutlawPete

Mr Alan wrote: »
    Springsteen has a set list done up pre-gig like anyone else.

U2 play hit after hit after hit, Bruce doesn't, he plays a wide mix of the stuff from his albums.

Springsteen plucked all the signs from the crowd and then played four tracks from these ..

Nic

poisonated wrote: »
    It was a great gig.Was anyone else surprised that for "sunday bloody sunday" bono didn't once mention croke park?!

What did surprise me was how he butchered the song by singing Rock the Kasbah in the middle of it.

Sunday Bloody Sunday - Rock The Kasbah 24th - July 2009 Croke Park

Whats that all about ..

He did that with another two songs too. Glad he left Stuck In The Moment alone as that was an excellent performance ..

Also, the Auld Triangle was sad. We all knew for weeks they were going to sing a Dubliners track and it was as if this was their very first stab .. like they just took a request from the crowd.

Was looking forward to this gig all year and was so let down. Was in 302 Row F and watched the screens mostly as although there was those moving bridges they rarely used them and he only ran the gang walk once.

Did anyone else notice that before the last song Bono said "do you want more .. sure we are only getting started" .. and then that was it, no more songs. Just thought that was an odd thing to say ..

Nic

ps ..on a side note I think its scandalous that you are not premitted to bring alcohol to your seats. The RDS allows this so why not Croke park ..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 kuku

Nico22 wrote: »
    What did surprise me was how he butchered the song by singing Rock the Kasbah in the middle of it. Whats that all about ..

He did that with another two songs too.

Also, the Auld Triangle was sad. We all knew for weeks they were going to sing a Dubliners track and it was as if this was their very first stab .. like they just took a request from the crowd.

Was looking forward to this gig all year and was so let down. Was in 302 Row F and watched the screens mostly as although there was those moving bridges they rarely used them and he only ran the gang walk once.

Did anyone else notice that before the last song Bono said "do you want more .. sure we are only getting started" .. and then that was it, no more songs. Just thought that was an odd thing to say ..

Nic

ps ..on a side note I think its scandalous that you are not premitted to bring alcohol to your seats. The RDS allows this so why not Croke park ..
    maybe they dont allow because of the lack of imagination? apparently yesterday someone drunk falled down from seated area

• Closed Accounts Posts: 86 ✭✭siobhank

great gig - not a U2 fan and really enjoyed last night ! Thought the sound was fab from both the pitch and the upper Hogan. Crowd were giving it socks. Only complaint was the very quick start from both support bands, could have been a bit more spaced out to allow for a pint outside etc.
    Or should I say bottle of Bud :(

• Registered Users Posts: 355 ✭✭jazoo

All these foreigners gettin our jobs and now our u2 tickets.......only joking was at last nights show but it will never beat the second show at slane thats the best show ive been to

• Advertisement

jazoo wrote: »
    All these foreigners gettin our jobs and now our u2 tickets.......only joking was at last nights show but it will never beat the second show at slane thats the best show ive been to
    there probably wouldnt be as many irish going to these concerts these days as there were foreigners!

kuku wrote: »
    maybe they dont allow because of the lack of imagination? apparently yesterday someone drunk falled down from seated area

Maybe understand that rule for the Upper sections but in the Lower seats it{s just sad to see grown adults turned away from the seated entrance cause they have a plastic bottle of wine with their crisps.

Went to see The Police there and it was the same for that concert also.

The highlight of Friday night for me was If I Dont Go Crazy Remix .. would loved to have been close to the stage for that.

You think that they will ever play the O2 .. would really like to see them there playing Party Girl, I Will Follow .. basically all of Under A Blood Red Sky, Boy and The Joshua Tree .. :)

Nic

Nico22 wrote: »
    Maybe understand that rule for the Upper sections but in the Lower seats it{s just sad to see grown adults turned away from the seated entrance cause they have a plastic bottle of wine with their crisps.

Went to see The Police there and it was the same for that concert also.

The highlight of Friday night for me was If I Dont Go Crazy Remix .. would loved to have been close to the stage for that.

You think that they will ever play the O2 .. would really like to see them there playing Party Girl, I Will Follow .. basically all of Under A Blood Red Sky, Boy and The Joshua Tree .. :)

Nic
    thats true, it is sad to see people going away with plastic botte of wine etc...
    maybe gigs like that should not be in crocker....hm, i was there on the Police too, and was in seated area and from then i decided to always and ever go for pitch if it is a crocker, as atmosphere is much better
    i am not a big drunker so it doesnt really make a big diffrence for me...but i have to admit its annoying eg. yesterday i had no time to have a beer before a gig, so i ended up by having one very quick Bud...and run to pitch....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 683 ✭✭✭leincar

The stewards wouldnt allow people to stand where we were for the first bit - I suppose people are entitled to be able to see while sitting. Everyone got up for after while though.

Also maybe some of the people who were sitting in their seats for the gigs are U2 fans for the last 30+ years who maybe are gone beyond the "Pit" stage of their lives. Been there, did that in the 70s and 80s. Doesnt mean they werent enjoying the show. Just a thought.

I'll stand up for the oldies. I'm well on the wrong side of 40 and I certainly was not the oldest on the pitch. In fact it was strange at times looking round at the crowd and recognising people from years ago. Just like walking down Grafton Street 25 years ago and always knowing someone. I was there last night with the eldest Ms Leincar and it was great on the pitch. The sound was probably the best I've heard in all of my 23 times to see U2 and the atmosphere on the pitch was wonderful despite the uneven set list.

As I posted months ago I am not a huge fan of 'No Line on the Horizon' and I despise 'Get on your Boots' but it went down well with the crowd which is all that matters. However I do think starting with 'Breathe' and finishing with 'Moment of Surrender' was a mistake. In fact I think it was a relief for large sections of the crowd when they launche into 'Beautiful Day' and 'New Years Day'.

Overall for me it was the best U2 gig since The Joshua Tree Tour first gig at Croke Park in 1987.

• Registered Users Posts: 568 ✭✭✭Len_007

A bunch of us arrived just before 3 and joined the Q. To my surprise we were in good timing and got bands to the pit. I was at slane '01 and croker in '05, think Slane just pips lastnite to the post, for me any how.
    But I did manage to get a tonne of great photo's.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 156 ✭✭googlefan

Downtime wrote: »
    The song is about the Bogside massacre in 1972 and not the 1920 one in Croke Park.

I'm well aware of this fact. However, I feel that with all the talk of international injustices, some mention should have been made of the fact that 14 people were gunned down at a football game by the British Army on the very ground that they were standing on.

I'm not a Republican or anything like it, but I think our history is important and our sufferings shouldn't be kept secret, especially with the international audience which attended. My younger sister next to me was unaware of the tragedy.

This is minor detal though. Excellent show.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

I was at the Friday night gig and I loved it, some little problems but overall ok. The crowd were into it but not really "up and dancing" for it. That changed with Sunday Bloody Sunday though, sound was iffy when Bono was talking, but that's not necessarily a bad thing. Thought the build up to Beautiful Day excellent and so was Vertigo seeing the crowd on the pitch react and go mad was brilliant.

Must say the remix of Crazy Tonight was outstanding caught me completely out of the blue.

As for the support Damien Dempsey put in some performance but the place was practically empty, the less said about Glasvegas the better.

The finishing song was very weak. My favourite song is Stay though would love to see that live some day!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,641 ✭✭✭gscully

You can get some tour shirts at u2.com,dont see the Croker ones up yet though.

Thanks. Yeah, I think they're generic ones. Don't imagine there'll be any concert-specific ones on there though. No harm!

• Registered Users Posts: 297 ✭✭Undead

Len_007 wrote: »
    A bunch of us arrived just before 3 and joined the Q. To my surprise we were in good timing and got bands to the pit. I was at slane '01 and croker in '05, think Slane just pips lastnite to the post, for me any how.
    But I did manage to get a tonne of great photo's.

Really good pictures mate, would love to see more?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,115 ✭✭✭Pal

Well...

I went and enjoyed it.

Because I really like U2
    but not Croke Park !

Probably the worst stadium on the whole tour.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭H8GHOTI

Great concert, really enjoyed it.
    Best live act in the world. That screen was just amazing.

However, I have to agree with some of the points made before:
    • Sound could have been a bit louder but it wasn't sh*t or anything.
    • Having Hill 16 empty behind the stage did take from it a bit.
    • I enjoyed the opening sequence but did think the end was an anti-climax.
    I've read the whole thread and I know the reasons but it would have been better to get the proper 360 experience. Maybe if they left empty rows at the very back of the upper tier and moved these people to the hill and still keep the capacity @ 80,000. The empty seats would not be so noticable up there. Or, if the stage was down the canel end then the people in the Davin stand would be behind the stage and the empty pitch space would have been up the hill end. That would probably been better too. At least then everyone facing the stage would see the crowd behind instead of a whole lot of empty space.

But all in all it was still the best concert I've ever been to and I left like this :D and not like this :(

kuku wrote: »
    thats true, it is sad to see people going away with plastic botte of wine etc...
    maybe gigs like that should not be in crocker....hm, i was there on the Police too, and was in seated area and from then i decided to always and ever go for pitch if it is a crocker, as atmosphere is much better
    i am not a big drunker so it doesnt really make a big diffrence for me...but i have to admit its annoying eg. yesterday i had no time to have a beer before a gig, so i ended up by having one very quick Bud...and run to pitch....

Oh don't get me wrong - we still had couple of beers in our seats, it's just that we had to walk past the stewards with a plastic bottles of beer up our sleeves.

One of mates was very greedy & had to have three so let's just say he looked as if he was very well endowed :D

Nic

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭term

Went on Monday and really enjoyed it.
    Feeling with the 3 others I went with was that the opening 3/4 songs in the daylight were a bit anti-climactic. Did feel the end of the show lacked oomph as well, with 3 relatively slow songs to finish off. Can admire their bravery in the setlist, don't forget they are punting a new album with the tour, not a greatest hits show. Question for the Bruce & AC/DC show attendees, did the songs from the new albums stand up with the older material at their recent shows?

But....

Absolutely loved the City of Blinding Lights/Vertigo/Crazy Remix/ Sunday Bloody Sunday segment.
    Loved it when they did Stay acoustic
    Loved the set/effects/sound, esp when dark

Left Croker feeling I'd just seen a fantastic show which kind-of answered a lot of the pre-show bitching about tax/crap-album that was going around.

Yeah i'm heading over to the first wembley show on the 14th august.
    It will be my 5th show of this tour.(barcelona,dublin1,2,3)

Would like to hear your thoughts on Croke Park vs Nou Camp.

Are you going to any others or is five enough for you? :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭kennyu272

H8GHOTI wrote: »
    Would like to hear your thoughts on Croke Park vs Nou Camp.

Are you going to any others or is five enough for you? :pac:

The atmosphere in the nou camp was electric that night,something that was lacking a bit in croke park.
    But overall they were 4 cracking gigs.

Wembley unfortunetly is my last one this year, but since they are on tour again in 2010, no doubt i'll be seeing them somewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 936 ✭✭✭HorseRadish

gscully wrote: »
    Thanks. Yeah, I think they're generic ones. Don't imagine there'll be any concert-specific ones on there though. No harm!

There's Vertigo Croker 05 ones on there. MSG,Austraila as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 936 ✭✭✭HorseRadish

The atmosphere in the nou camp was electric that night,something that was lacking a bit in croke park.

Wembley unfortunetly is my last one this year, but since they are on tour again in 2010, no doubt i'll be seeing them somewhere.

Nou Camp was class,would have done the 2nd night if I could,but went to see the Boss in Munich:)

Did the crowd all around the stage add much to the atmosphere?

Anyone see anything official about 2010 tour yet? I read somewhere they are coming back to Europe. I'd love if they played the Aviva stadium next year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,268 ✭✭✭Tomohawk

You mean Lansdowne stadium, I dont think the residents round here would put up with the disruption of the load in and load out for such a future gig. Let the northsiders deal wit it...

• Advertisement

New name will be Aviva (I presume you know this, just not sure from your post)

Also, I don't know what the residents are complaining about, why buy a house next to a stadium and then complain about noise :confused:

Advertisement