Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

"I can't afford to eat healty"

Options
  • 29-07-2009 2:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9,029 ✭✭✭

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/article-1202767/I-afford-live-healthily-says-600-month-benefits-woman-lost-weight-free-gastric-band-surgery.html

She's no Leanne Salt.
    'I can't afford to eat healthily' says £600-a-month benefits woman who weighs 22 stone

Laura Ripley receives £600 a month in benefits, weighs 22 stone after a gastric sleeve operation, and is deemed fit to work but has no plans to find a job

Laura Ripley receives £600 a month in benefits, weighs 22 stone after a gastric sleeve operation, and is deemed fit to work but has no plans to find a job

A 25-year-old unemployed woman who was given an £8,000 operation to help her lose 16 stone is complaining because, as well as her weight loss, her benefits have been reduced.

Laura Ripley, who has never worked, was given the operation on the NHS to help her slim down from 38 to 22 stone.

But the 25-year-old, who receives £600 a month in benefits, is unhappy because as a result of losing weight she can no longer claim disability allowance amounting to an extra £340 a month.

This, she says, means she cannot afford to eat healthily - causing her to pile the weight back on.

'I can't afford to buy WeightWatchers crisps and cereal bars any more so I eat Tesco's chocolate bars and packets of Space Invaders crisps, sometimes four of each a day', says Laura, who spends seven hours a day watching TV.

'People ask why I don't snack on an apple - they're cheap, but emotionally I don't always feel like an apple.'

The disability allowance money she used to receive was spent on gym workouts, healthy food and having her hair highlighted.

She adds: 'Without my disability allowance I'm left with just £210 incapacity benefit which I get because of my depression, and £100 income support I receive every two weeks and out of that I have to give them back £70 towards the cost of the £500-a-month flat I'm living in.'

Since the extra allowance stopped Laura has put on a stone in just three weeks and claims she is being treated unfairly.

'It's heartbreaking that after all my hard work losing this weight someone's come along and ruined it.'

Laura has been offered another operation on the NHS, which would normally cost £12,000, to remove the saggy skin left behind after the dramatic weight loss, but only if she sheds a further five stone, and until then she has no plans to find a job.
    Laura Ripley

Morbidly obese: Laura, then aged 15 and weighing 25 stone, snacks on crisps and chocolate because she says she cannot afford healthy food
    Closer magazine

'I'm not even applying for work at the moment because I'm only going to have to have lots of time off when I have more surgery.'

Speaking from the two-bedroom flat she shares with unemployed boyfriend Simon Hawkins, Laura describes how she was shocked into embarking on the weight loss plan after her mother Doreen died of obesity-related complications on Christmas Eve 2005.

'A doctor told me that unless I lost 20 stone I wouldn't live to see my 25th birthday. He recommended I have a gastric sleeve op.'

Prior to the surgery Laura lost eight and a half stone by cutting out junk food and drinking diet shakes and has since lost a further seven stone after her stomach was shrunk by 75 per cent.

However, without the extra benefits Laura is worried she'll put the weight back on and says she can feel her stomach stretching after binging on the unhealthy snacks.

'I sometimes feel guilty about all the taxpayers' money that's been spent on me but I only want an extra £100 a month, that's all', says Laura.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,029 ✭✭✭tbaymusicman

My misses was signing on for awhile there not so long ago but she was trying to shed a few kilo's at the same time seen as she had noting to do but i recall her complaining the price of healthy stuff was through the roof especially weight watchers:eek::eek:

But sorry dont really have anything to do with a 22stone woman

• Registered Users Posts: 1,886 ✭✭✭beans

Emotionally I don't always feel like an apple...

...so I've opted to look like one instead

• Registered Users Posts: 18,912 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,572 ✭✭✭WeeBushy

Emotionally she doesn't feel like an apple?

I'd say emotionally she doesn't feel like dying either. What a hilarious creature she is.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

Well if she cant afford the healthy stuff she should just not eat. That works too :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,572 ✭✭✭WeeBushy

My misses was signing on for awhile there not so long ago but she was trying to shed a few kilo's at the same time seen as she had noting to do but i recall her complaining the price of healthy stuff was through the roof especially weight watchers:eek::eek:

I can assure your gf that vegetables, fruit, brown rice etc. are cheap.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,949 ✭✭✭✭IvyTheTerrible

Jesus.

My sister was obese and she lost the weight WITHOUT any of these WW bars. And kept the weight off too.

What a cop out. There is no way she should get anymore operations or extra money.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,432 ✭✭✭✭El Guapo!

:eek:

She should've been drowned at birth.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,029 ✭✭✭Lockstep

Dean09 wrote: »

She would've just floated.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,477 ✭✭✭✭Raze_them_all

harpoonsvq4.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,368 ✭✭✭Smart Bug

Don't worry, she'll soon drown in a sea of her own congealed sweat.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,477 ✭✭✭✭Raze_them_all

Psssst that weight watchers is a scam.

When I want to lose weight I eat every 2-3 hours...it's amazing what a controlled diet and exercise does

• Registered Users Posts: 2,809 ✭✭✭Gone Drinking

She's a fat lazy mess and i'll be amazed if she ever stops eating like a pig, or ever decides to work.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

WeeBushy wrote: »
    I can assure your gf that vegetables, fruit, brown rice etc. are cheap.

Yep. Weight watchers are an absolute con for people too lazy to cook properly.

Bring on the fat tax I say! (not that it would affect the leech that this thread is about)

god her life sucks..

• Registered Users Posts: 7,814 ✭✭✭TPD

I dont think she was obese at birth

• Closed Accounts Posts: 369 ✭✭lala stone

beans wrote: »
    ...so I've opted to look like one instead
    Oh Brill... :D

I can't afford to eat healthy?

I can't afford to subsidise your squalid existence you fat piece of shite.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,841 ✭✭✭Running Bing

lol, 2009 and people still think weightwatchers is "healthy". Amazing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,587 ✭✭✭Pace2008

Weightwatchers food is not healthy.

You can get genuinely healthy foods like eggs, veg and lean meats for very little money if you shop around.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,331 ✭✭✭✭bronte

Oh noes...I'm having my flat pretty much paid for but they've reduced my benefits so I can't afford highlights, and as if that wasn't bad enough I emotionally don't always feel like an apple.
    :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

She should be slapped around the head with a bag of apples.
    Lazy cow.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,537 ✭✭✭joseph brand

'I sometimes feel guilty about all the taxpayers' money that's been spent on me but I only want an extra £100 a month, that's all', says Laura.

For what??? Sitting on her fat ass. Her bf is a doler too. Great. These sound like a couple from the Jermey Kyle show.

"I just want more free money to eat Wotsits and chips all day, sloshed down me gullet with a fag."

She sounds about as charming as a skid-mark on a hotel pillow case. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,164 ✭✭✭hobochris

If she wasn't such a lazy bitch I'm sure she could find a market selling cheaper fruit and a lidl or aldi to get cheaper healthy food from.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 205 ✭✭ceannair06

Agree with everything said here.

She is a joke - but what is worse is that by going to the papers the lazy useless mare will probably get her money.

I know she's a dumb as a box of hair but here we go:

GET A JOB YOU POINTLESS WASTER

• Registered Users Posts: 9,029 ✭✭✭Lockstep

• Registered Users Posts: 2,138 ✭✭✭foxy06

Any Weight watchers meetings I went to recommend you DON"T buy all that ready made crap and instead give you deadly recipes for soups stews stirfrys ect that the whole family will eat. Weight watchers is healthy if you don't buy the weight watchers crap. Just follow the points and it's impossible not to lose weight.

foxy06 wrote: »
    Any Weight watchers meetings I went to recommend you DON"T buy all that ready made crap and instead give you deadly recipes for soups stews stirfrys ect that the whole family will eat. Weight watchers is healthy if you don't buy the weight watchers crap. Just follow the points and it's impossible not to lose weight.

Don't tell us that, tell her!!

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

They should just take all her benefits bar rent and call it a new crash diet.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

I want an extra £100 a month too. Why not give me an article about how it's terrible that I have to use my own money to get work to earn that money in the first place, you complete piece of idiot-boxing ****rag daily mail?

I'm hoping that the Daily Mail is an exercise in genetic cleansing and one day they'll reveal that they've been tracking everyone who reads it and will be summarily culling them and feeding them to the starving orphans.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,327 ✭✭✭Nasty_Girl

Even if cereal bars etc were healthy you can get them in Tescos for like 82c for 6!

(I eat them because I like them not coz I think they are good for me!)

That woman is just lazy and looking for someone to blame because he self esteem is so low she is now afraid to try for fear of failing.
    Without the 38 stone to hide behind she now has to stand for herself.

Advertisement