Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Warcraft: The Movie

• 07-08-2007 3:28am
    Registered Users Posts: 15,258 ✭✭✭✭Rabies

Empireonline
    It’s not enough that more than eight million people have forsworn society, sunlight and the real world to ensconce themselves in the magical world of Azeroth, soon this most obsessively popular of computer games will be taking over multiplexes as well. The World of Warcraft film is on its way and at the recent BlizzCon event (thrown by the game’s developer, Blizzard) it was announced that it will be with us the year after next.

Producer Thomas Tull confirmed a planned 2009 release date for the movie, estimating a healthy budget of $100 million for the fantasy adaptation.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭qwertplaywert

may the geek gods have mercy on us all

• Registered Users Posts: 2,139 ✭✭✭Wreck

Sam Rami had been signed up to direct this, with the company behind Batman and 12 Monkeys producing. Full story here.

This is good news imo, as it looks like Blizzard are taking a lot of care to ensure that this is done right. Rami has an excellent track record (Spiderman 3 shouldn't count), and with him at the helm this could end up being very enjoyable.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,136 ✭✭✭Pugsley

Would have preferred Starcraft (being a huge fan of SC), but this should be worth checking out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,942 ✭✭✭missingtime

The South Park episode was genuis!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,905 ✭✭✭✭Handsome Bob

Is there an actual storyline with central characters in World of Warcraft?

I ask because I play Oblivion, and that always seemed really similar to WoW. In Oblivion, you create your own character. Is it the same in WoW? If so will the guys writing the script for WoW be making up their own characters to fit into the general world of WoW?

Sorry if this is confusing!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,685 ✭✭✭✭BlitzKrieg

LZ5by5 wrote: »
    Is there an actual storyline with central characters in World of Warcraft?

Well the warcraft series does have a series of central characters and a storyline. World of Warcraft takes place a number of years after the events of the third game (+add on pack) and alot of the mmo's plot and characters are taken from there. But yes like oblivion you create your own character that does quests etc for these characters.

On the movie it can go one of two ways for it to be good adaptation.

Either they opt for a warcraft movie where it will adapt the prior games (most likely warcraft 3) and thus get the whole epic battles etc and strong popular characters from the franchise, it appeal to wow players while at the same time not alienate the few non wow people remaining because it starts at the beginning essentially.

Or they go for a world of warcraft adventure film. This would give the filmmakers alot of freedom, opting for a sort of conan the barbarian style adventure film within the wow universe. Again fans are pleased as nods and locations directly from the game (and maybe a quest or two) are taken directly from favourite dungeons. While non wow people will have a chunk of stuff go over their heads it wont be any worse then the millions of marvel nods in the comic book films.

The bad thing for them to do is to try and do some epic war scenario within the wow timeframe cause that'll just piss off fans if they start getting big things wrong or changing them to suit the films plot etc Also it goes against the spirit of wow. Warcraft was all about the big armies etc but WoW focused on the adventurers and heroes.

On a side note my experiance of wow was two brief attempts where I got my undead warlock to level 26 and gave up.

I watch with interest though to see how blizzard sit with the film industry after Bungie's spectaculer step back with Halo.

EDIT: Sam Raimi signed on would work for a world of warcraft adventure film...but the films title is simply warcraft that makes me think they are going to adapt warcraft 3.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 674 ✭✭✭jonny72

This follows the same logic as making a movie called 'The Sims'. Its a certified cashcow, but by God they'll have to bend physics to make it remotely good. They should just do a remake of one of the Lord of the Rings films and replace the characters and creatures with those in Warcraft, and bingo, no one will notice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,082 ✭✭✭lostexpectation

are there any full lenght machina type wow films out there

• Registered Users Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭][cEMAN**

You'll find plenty of back story here.

I think having a general history outline, but no real stories set in stone as such, means that the script writers can have a field day with this.

They could set it in any timer period, pick any main character and take it from their perspective, or do a D&D complete F'up.

Personally i'm hoping for a "Thrall's story" - Born from leadership, taken into slaver as a child, and when he became an adult he rose up and lead his people to freedom. It's almost biblical.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

Warcraft 3 had one of the best storylines of any game I've played, I think if any game series could have a decent film adaptation, it's this one. Having a good director at the helm, instead of the likes of Uwe Boll and Paul W.S. Anderson, greatly increases the chances of it being worth watching.

• Advertisement

instead of the likes of Uwe Boll

WHAT?! But he's the only guy in the movie business that isn't a retard...

...damn you Karl!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

' wrote:
    [cEMAN**;61270275']WHAT?! But he's the only guy in the movie business that isn't a retard...

...damn you Karl!

You know Uwe Boll did actually approach Blizzard so that he could make a Warcraft film?

Yeah I heard. Would you help him?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,707 ✭✭✭MikeC101

You know Uwe Boll did actually approach Blizzard so that he could make a Warcraft film?

Blizzards response was brilliant, if what Boll claims they said is true: “We will not sell the movie rights, not to you…. especially not to you.”

• Registered Users Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

I assume this film will be about a young hero leaving the safety of his village only to be beaten to death by a group of evil-doers 50 levels above him. He'll be ressurected and leave his village again, only to be beaten to death again. This will repeat until either the hero gives up or the audience goes home.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,082 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Hope it's about warcraft III, my favourite game!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,721 ✭✭✭Otacon

Apologies if posting to this old thread is wrong, but I think this is the most relevant thread to post in.

Empire Article
    Good grief… While Moon man Duncan Jones has been laying hints about a big new project in the works on the Twitter-wires, we’re not sure we expected this. Jones has signed on to tackle the Warcraft movie for Legendary Entertainment.

Yes, the film based on Blizzard Entertainment’s massively multiplayer online role-playing game World Of Warcraft. The one that Sam Raimi had been developing to direct before he decided to head off to a different magical land for Oz The Great And Powerful instead.

The director of Moon and Source Code making a Warcraft movie. This project has now piqued my interest.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

special guest appearance by Leroy Jenkins

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

I would presume then that his sci-fi project 'Mute' is shelved then; that' a shame as it sounded like an interesting concept. Guess money talks in this instance.

Speaking as a gamer, adaptations of games have consistently been a cinematic graveyard, and often it comes down to the fact that what makes games appealing is the interactive experience, not the mythos. Strip away the gamer from Warcraft and what's left is a pretty generic, over-earnest fantasy tale.

I still hold out hope Bioshock will get made as the epic, dystopian parable - in the mould of films like Brazil - it could be.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

pixelburp wrote: »
    I would presume then that his sci-fi project 'Mute' is shelved then; that' a shame as it sounded like an interesting concept. Guess money talks in this instance.

Speaking as a gamer, adaptations of games have consistently been a cinematic graveyard, and often it comes down to the fact that what makes games appealing is the interactive experience, not the mythos. Strip away the gamer from Warcraft and what's left is a pretty generic, over-earnest fantasy tale.

I still hold out hope Bioshock will get made as the epic, dystopian parable - in the mould of films like Brazil - it could be.

I can understand if doing this as a payday gives him leverage to get funding for a passion project, a lot of directors and actors do the same, whats that line Ari had in Entourage "you do one for them, then one for you"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 84,742 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Some casting news, Ben Foster, Toby Kebbell, Robert Kazinsky, Dominic Cooper, Travis Fimmel and Paula Patton in Source

• Glad about Ben Foster. He's an excellent actor who isn't in enough things.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

First screenshot I've seen for the film:

9gvEeUF.jpg

Hopefully this isn't a giant sack of bums.

It'd do great things for the gaming medium if we could start to see some decent adaptations.

I think it'd draw more quality writers into gaming.

Never played WOW, and the original was before my time but was a huge fan of WC2 and 3.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,882 ✭✭✭EoinMcLovin

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

The audience-member's offhand comment isn't far off, that footage does feel very like 'Avatar': CGI motion-captures swaggering about, uncanny valley be damned. Hard to tell by the quality of the footage, but I hope those Orc scenes aren't 100% CGI because I had enough of that rubbish with The Hobbit. No idea what was meant to be happening though, I presume it means something to Warcraft fans :D

Gotta say, I'm curious how little press and buzz this film has produced; everything has felt so under wraps and subdued in comparison with other big-ticket blockbusters on the horizon.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,128 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

The film appears to use a lot of CGI and greenscreens, which potentially is fair enough considering the world we are talking about, but still will be a little disappointing no doubt.

But as long as the script and story are strong, it will be a hit. The Warcraft universe is incredibly strong and has great characters and stories.

Although typically when I get the "how can they **** this up" they typically go and **** it up

• Registered Users Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

Interview with Duncan Jones:

Obviously he's not going to say it's a big pile of ****, but he seemed really into the whole thing.

Caring is half the battle with these things.

Most video game films have felt like something completely cynical from top to bottom, made as a sop to nerds.

Now that the nerds have grown up, hopefully we can get something that's made with more passion and more competence.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,685 ✭✭✭✭BlitzKrieg

Gbear wrote: »
    Interview with Duncan Jones:

Obviously he's not going to say it's a big pile of ****, but he seemed really into the whole thing.

Caring is half the battle with these things.

Most video game films have felt like something completely cynical from top to bottom, made as a sop to nerds.

Now that the nerds have grown up, hopefully we can get something that's made with more passion and more competence.

He sold me on being one step ahead of most previous films based on games purely by his first comment on the nature of sides in warcraft being drawn from how the games allowed you to play both sides.

Which goes a big way to explaining why most video game movies outright suck. They mostly take the storyline from the game but ignore the experiences of the player. of course most games have crappy stories when you remove the players interactions, filmmakers have never tried to adapt gameplay experiences. The closest I've seen is the first half of the first silent hill film.

They keep trying to take the story of the game and fit in a movie mold, when in reality they should cut the game's story apart and take only the bits that work and take just as much from player's experiences to flesh it out.

Consider the resident evil movies (pre Resident Evil 4) they told the correct stories, but they did it with kung fu kicks to dogs and other ridiculous set ups and never once tried to translate the sense of claustrophobia or pressure a player had in resident evil 1 or 2 in exploring the mansion or preserving ammo. But its ok because they showed the tiger statue or the umbrella train...bollocks.

So I was dissapointed with the leaked footage, but that interview restores some confidence

As is traditional in these days of online marketing, the trailer... for the trailer... has been released. Am intrigued to finally see some footage of this thing.

Pffh, looks like a video gam... oh wait. Nevermind :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,944 ✭✭✭✭Links234

Advertisement