Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

"Boy Racer" Crackdown

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,563 ✭✭✭karlog

draffodx wrote: »
    they are driving a normal car, its usually a 1.4 corolla or focus or almeira, cant get much more normal than them

.......................................A car that sends every dog in the neighbourhood barking just from driving past would'nt be considered normal.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,081 ✭✭✭su_dios

Few questions about this..which kind have been raised all ready in this thread.

Ok so maybe a Ferrari won't pass this then, but what about say an R32 which would be more popular on the roads and does have two large exhausts. Would they tell you to go and fix it or just fine you...how could you change it? There is no other system available for that car?!

Also my car has tints from factory on the 3rear windows. Does this mean they'll be illegal? I was under the impression that tints on the front 3 windows were illegal but the rear 3 were perfectly legal, which would make a lot of sense seeing as vans are blocked out entirely.

Easier way of doing this too would be that you have to carry a cert from the NCT secondary to the main cert, saying your exhaust conforms with legislation. Majority of exhausts when bought new have a cert saying they comply with EU law.

Another question..how would someone know if their exhaust is over 80db's before getting a fine??

• Registered Users Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭Atomic Pineapple

karlog wrote: »
    .......................................A car that sends every dog in the neighbourhood barking just from driving past would'nt be considered normal.

thats because it has a big back box on it, so its a normal car with a big back box on it.

What I'm saying is that most cars can be driven through a town quietly no matter how loud an exhaust they have, its the fact that the car has the tits of it revved off through the town that causes the noise.

Most people in properly "suped up" cars actually drive considerately through towns, ie: low revs, high gear.

(just to be clear when i say a properly souped up car i mean one that is already relatively powerful like an evo or impreza or dc5 as opposed to what the normal public see as a souped up car in a 1.4 civic with a back box)

Hopefully this legislation will tackle the idiots actually causing the noise and not punish people who properly mod there cars as a hobby.
    su_dios wrote: »
    Also my car has tints from factory on the 3rear windows. Does this mean they'll be illegal? I was under the impression that tints on the front 3 windows were illegal but the rear 3 were perfectly legal, which would make a lot of sense seeing as vans are blocked out entirely.

Another question..how would someone know if their exhaust is over 80db's before getting a fine??

The law is only concerned with the windscreen and the front side windows, rear windows can be tinted.

There are garages where you can get your DB level checked

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,493 ✭✭✭eddiehead

You still don't see it though do you? Take away the loud exhaust and tinted windows and you still have the same idiot driving the thing. This legislation is non-sense, its simply the RSA looking to get into the good books with snobbish and misguided sectors of society in Ireland.

In my experience the biggest w@nkers on the road drive big Mercs, Bmw's, Passats, SUV's etc. When are we going to start clamping down on these lads? Answer is we're not, because it would be silly to single out certain drivers based on the stigma surrounding whatever they drive....wouldn't it?

eddiehead wrote: »
    You still don't see it though do you? Take away the loud exhaust and tinted windows and you still have the same idiot driving the thing. This legislation is non-sense, its simply the RSA looking to get into the good books with snobbish and misguided sectors of society in Ireland.

In my experience the biggest w@nkers on the road drive big Mercs, Bmw's, Passats, SUV's etc. When are we going to start clamping down on these lads? Answer is we're not, because it would be silly to single out certain drivers based on the stigma surrounding whatever they drive....wouldn't it?

At least were getting rid of the loud exhaust. Thats one good thing coming out of this.:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,418 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Traumadoc wrote: »
    As in commercial jeeps for example- ban tham I say.
    I'm talking about front side windows.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭SouperComputer

If this actually gets enforced, I applaud it. Im not nieve enough to think it will improve safety, but if it reduces the amount of sheds I have to look at and listen to on the road, for the short period of time I'm here, great.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,493 ✭✭✭eddiehead

At least were getting rid of the loud exhaust. Thats one good thing coming out of this.:D

I must remember to congratulate Mr Byrne for revolutionising road safety in Ireland.
    Next we'll be banning drivers for wearing peak caps and/or tracksuits while driving*:pac:

*Though I would agree with this, lol

eddiehead wrote: »
    I must remember to congratulate Mr Byrne for revolutionising road safety in Ireland.
    Next we'll be banning drivers for wearing peak caps and/or tracksuits while driving*:pac:

*Though I would agree with this, lol

Crimes against fashion

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭niceirishfella

One thing with the loud exhaust is that you do hear them before you see them. Therefore increasing your awareness of them. Thats an increase in road safety IMO.

+1 , like in the states I saw harley davison motorbikes with stickers on them with "loud pipes, save lives" - cool!;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 460 ✭✭legend365

This is stupid.

These 'boy racers' are already driving around without tax and insurance thanks to the clever eye of the gardai.

This will be a big clamp down, ...

...laughable.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

For me it's quite simple.

There are car owners out there who take pride in modifying their cars and drive quite responsibly. However, it's the minority of muppets who get the majority a bad name. This is unfortunate. Yes, something needs to be done to curb the muppets but the downside is that the genuine guy is going to get targeted. I've few mates with modified cars and they are very responsible drivers but we've all come across the idiot with the wide bore exhaust, tinted screen and loud stereo that thinks he's God's gift - he's the muppet that gets all modifiers a bad name. He's the boy racer and does not not deserve to be called a modifier or enthusiast. There's a big difference between a modified car with a responsible driver and a one that is driven by a tosser.

LIGHTNING wrote: »
    Whats even worse from my experience in working at a race school is that none of these boy racers can drive, none not one.

how do you know who is and isn't a boy racer when your working? I presume your just stereotyping
    crosstownk wrote: »
    For me it's quite simple.

There are car owners out there who take pride in modifying their cars and drive quite responsibly. However, it's the minority of muppets who get the majority a bad name. This is unfortunate. Yes, something needs to be done to curb the muppets but the downside is that the genuine guy is going to get targeted. I've few mates with modified cars and they are very responsible drivers but we've all come across the idiot with the wide bore exhaust, tinted screen and loud stereo that thinks he's God's gift - he's the muppet that gets all modifiers a bad name. He's the boy racer and does not not deserve to be called a modifier or enthusiast. There's a big difference between a modified car with a responsible driver and a one that is driven by a tosser.

bang on.

unfortunately most people on the roads are too dense to realise this.

I drive an Integra type R, I take pride in it, I enjoy the ownership of such a car, I only drive into town when i need to get something, my car is far quieter than many other cars out there and come 11 pm i'm in bed watching a dvd, yet I'm getting cast into this boy racer stereotype because i drive a japanese car.............doesn't say much about the general public's capacity to see past image

The modifier's and enthusiast's can easily stay out of trouble by not having a loud exhaust and not tinting their windows. And as long as they drive safely the guards cant do anything to their modified cars.

Right? or is there something else in the law that im missing?

The modifier's and enthusiast's can easily stay out of trouble by not having a loud exhaust and not tinting their windows. And as long as they drive safely the guards cant do anything to their modified cars.

Right? or is there something else in the law that im missing?

Yep correct.

Dont get me wrong I'm for the legislation, I think its great that its coming in.

The problem is that the Gardai wont distinguish between people who actually cause noise pollution and those that dont so those that have a modified car but dont cause noise pollution will get hassled by the gardai.

draffodx wrote: »
    Yep correct.

Dont get me wrong I'm for the legislation, I think its great that its coming in.

The problem is that the Gardai wont distinguish between people who actually cause noise pollution and those that dont so does that have a modified car but dont cause noise pollution will get hassled by the gardai.

Yeh there's nothing to say they wont run into that guard who's a complete ar**hole, that doesn't even know the law well enough to enforce it.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,436 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

rarnes1 wrote: »
    I take your point. I'm just posting about the idiots doing burn offs and all that sh!te near my house every night.

thats fair enough, hopefully its these idiots that are put off the road.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,461 ✭✭✭Max_Damage

Feed them all to the pigs I say.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,221 ✭✭✭Greentopia

As someone who lives in the boy racer capital of Ireland-Aaarklow (for my sins :rolleyes:) I'm happy to hear about this. I just hope it's enforced but judging by the blind eye that the Gardai 'round here show to them I won't hold my breath.
    These little shaven-headed trackie wearing scumbags have made my life and the lives of many other people, especially senior citizens, hell.
    These morons lives are so obviously socially and culturally impoverished that they see driving full belt up and down the main streets beeping their horns at each other for hours on end as entertainment.
    I lived on Arklow's Main Street a while back during the summer and I could not open my sitting room window in the evening as the noise from their exhausts and booming stereos invaded my apartment. The noise level was so bad I very often couldn't play music or hear the T.V. over their car engine noise and stereos.
    I complained to the Gardai but nothing was done :(
    All they do is sit on their arses in the station or do tax and insurance checks now and again on ordinary motorists when they should have been ordering these little ****s to put tail pipe exhaust silencers on their cars and checking their insurance.
    Oh and I know there are genuine car enthusiasts here who modify their cars who stay within reasonable noise levels, are tax and insurance compliant and don't drive with reckless disregard for others safety and right to peaceful enjoyment of people in their own homes, obviously that's not who I'm talking about here.

In any other civilized country in Europe environmental and noise pollution laws have prevented or addressed this problem by now.
    Oh but then I guess I'm forgetting what country I'm living in :rolleyes: :mad:
    /rant

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

Saab Ed wrote: »
    You see you're missing the point. Plonkers drive anything. Its not me versus you, its us versus the plonkers. Let me put it this way. If you have a fantastic 60 inch flatscreen telly that you got all the extras for and it cost you a gazillion euro then Im delighted for you. What I have a problem with is if you turn it up full tilt at 3 in the morning. The telly is not the issue its the owner.

+1

All this now is just talking a piss... 80db is not alot at all! i would be surprised, that some older car would pass it even with stock exhoust!!

tinted windows... Well tinting front widows is not the best idea... But If its done lightly its not an issue of dangeuos driving!

I got it! Goverment calculations!

TINTED WINDOWS - +78BHp
    Louder then 80db exhoust +80BHp

More Hp = More chances of hugging tree in the road! Its all so simple!
    If you are an idiat, you can kill yourself even in 50Bhp car!

but seriuosly, i fell safer in mine sport car which is made for DRIVING! Then in some Tincan punto, which was in mind not of safety, but cheap box whith wheels to go on road!

I havent seen any properly modded cars in accsidents, but i have seen about hundreads of "avarage Joe wheels" in bits!

P.s. i live by the road, and i do hear some modded cars passing by. A bit louder, so what? Then some chopper passed by... I thought it was some 747 landing! Hows come they not b*tching about that?!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 937 ✭✭✭Mr.Diagnostic

The loud because its powerful argument does not add up. If a very quiet production exhaust can flow enough exhaust gasses for 400bhp (eg S Class Merc) then any 400 bhp car can be reasonably quiet. In fact, some of the standard engined cars with huge exhausts would likely be losing a few BHP. Its simple physics.

Some tints are way too dark and it can be difficult to see out of them at night. That has to be a genuine safety concern. I don’t think the causes of accidents are established well enough. I doubt it epidemic but I wouldn’t be surprised if they were the cause of a few accidents.

• Registered Users Posts: 53,836 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

****ing delighted

hate boy racers with a passion

but what's the point the gardai wont monitor it,it'll be like the L drivers :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 26,283 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

id agree with the tint banning on front windows no problem, especially the windscreen, but tweak the exhausts one, instead of a fixed dB level set it to say 4dB above factory specification, or ban non factory specification exhausts

The loud because its powerful argument does not add up. If a very quiet production exhaust can flow enough exhaust gasses for 400bhp (eg S Class Merc) then any 400 bhp car can be reasonably quiet. In fact, some of the standard engined cars with huge exhausts would likely be losing a few BHP. Its simple physics.

Very true, in actual fact the best exhaust you can get for an integra is a mugen twin loop, it has the most power gains but is also in fact quieter than the stock exhaust system

• Registered Users Posts: 53,836 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

I havent seen any properly modded cars in accsidents, but i have seen about hundreads of "avarage Joe wheels" in bits!

P.s. i live by the road, and i do hear some modded cars passing by. A bit louder, so what? Then some chopper passed by... I thought it was some 747 landing! Hows come they not b*tching about that?!

you dont live in tipperary

a local boy racer has written off 7 cars and a bit loader :eek:get that wax out of the ear

hearing the ****ing ridiculous noise at 2-3 o clock at night while trying to sleep is a ****ing disgrace

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,150 ✭✭✭kumate_champ07

i like the sound of a big engine but i dont like the sound of a little engine amplified by a crappy exhaust system. its like putting an ice cream stick on a bicycle wheel so it sounds more like a motorbike.

whats the deal with the exhausts, do people think it makes the car sound faster?

LIGHTNING wrote: »
    I wouldnt mind but even the proper type-R`s arent even that fast, they make a lot of noise and you have to cane the legs off them to go anywhere.

standard there not noisy at all, mines standard and its quieter than jeeps until VTEC.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

Headshot wrote: »
    you dont live in tipperary

a local boy racer has written off 7 cars and a bit loader :eek:get that wax out of the ear

hearing the ****ing ridiculous noise at 2-3 o clock at night while trying to sleep is a ****ing disgrace

thx god i am a deep sleeper. By 2-3 you shouldnt be trying, you should be sleeping allready. that would work if somebody would leave pubs earlyer...

get some pills ;)

so are we banning exhoust becouse it kills people, or it is in the way of you and sleep?

If it would ACTUALLY kill people, then go for it BAN IT! It does give only 4-5 Bhp more max! So if you have an idiat with 105bhp car with modified exhoust, you wount safe him by putting him in a car with 100bph and standart exhoust!

It just pisses me off, when they whant ban exhoust, becouse its louder then normal car, and cover it as FIGHT with deaths on roads!

Intresting whats more dangerous, drink driving or 5bhp+?

by the way, i got 2 cars, bouth "sport" style cars. And bouth with standart exhousts...

thx god i am a deep sleeper. By 2-3 you shouldnt be trying, you should be sleeping allready. that would work if somebody would leave pubs earlyer...

get some pills ;)

so are we banning exhoust becouse it kills people, or it is in the way of you and sleep?

If it would ACTUALLY kill people, then go for it BAN IT! It does give only 4-5 Bhp more max! So if you have an idiat with 105bhp car with modified exhoust, you wount safe him by putting him in a car with 100bph and standart exhoust!

It just pisses me off, when they whant ban exhoust, becouse its louder then normal car, and cover it as FIGHT with deaths on roads!

Intresting whats more dangerous, drink driving or 5bhp+?

by the way, i got 2 cars, bouth "sport" style cars. And bouth with standart exhousts...

.............:confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,604 ✭✭✭cpoh1

Lads this is never ever in a million years going to happen! There was the usual uproar two years ago about this very thing and nothing came of it, this will be the same. Its hilarious watching people get their knickers in a twist over this rubbish.

In reality 15-20% of road users is made up of 18-25 year old drivers. Of that being very generous about 30% of that group drive modified cars. Of that 30% how many are adding to road death statistics? We are talking about 5% of all road traffic deaths each year.

Im much more interested in the government and gardai clamping down on people drink driving, driver education and improving our roads. That might actually improve road conditions for all drivers.

Meanwhile ill keep my DC5 and skyline with factory tints and decent performance exhausts that will easily pass similar noise regulations to the uk while still making an nice howl when on full chatter.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement