Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

"Boy Racer" Crackdown

Options
  • 17-07-2009 3:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭

http://www.independent.ie/national-news/boy-racers-face-threat-of-jail-in-garda-crackdown-1826481.html
    wrote:
    GARDAI are to launch a major crackdown on boy racers and will prosecute owners of cars fitted with loud engines and excessively tinted windows.

Yesterday, senior officers warned owners of modified cars they have until the end of the year to comply with regulations or face fines of up to €2,500 and/or three months in prison.

Gardai will use a special machine -- a Glass Tint Meter -- to measure the amount of natural light coming into cars which must be at least 75pc for windscreens and 70pc for the rest of the car windows. They will also use a machine to measure the level of engine noise.

The warning came on the same day that the Road Safety Authority (RSA) launched its 'He Drives, She Dies' campaign, which calls on women not to get into a car with males who drive dangerously.

Road casualty statistics from the RSA show that over two-thirds (67pc) of female passengers killed in the 10-year period 1998 to 2007 were being driven by a male driver.

Boy racers are notorious for driving souped-up cars with loud exhausts and blacked-out windows and are a source of intimidation for other road users.

Owners are generally young men, who comprise most victims in fatal road collisions.

By law, the maximum engine noise allowed is 80 decibels -- which equates to the noise in a busy street -- with sounds louder than this level considered dangerous to hearing. Windscreen and passenger and driver doors cannot be blackened.

The Sound Level Meters and Glass Tint Meters will measure the amount of noise generated by engines and check if windows are excessively tinted. The crackdown is expected to begin by the end of the year.

"There's the issue of complaints and their own safety," Assistant Commissioner Eddie Rock said. "They'll (boy racers) have the opportunity to rectify their cars. It's not in our interest to take people to court, but we will if necessary."

Gardai have also sought machines for reading digital tachograph machines installed on trucks which measure the number of hours driven. This will allow them to prosecute drivers found to be breaking the law by driving excessive number of hours. Fines of up to €2,500 and/or three months' imprisonment can be imposed.

Dangerously

Yesterday, Rose of Tralee Aoife Kelly launched the RSA's 'He Drives, She Dies' campaign, which calls on women not to get into a car with males who drive dangerously.

An occupational therapist at the National Rehabilitation Hospital in Dun Laoghaire, Ms Kelly helps people overcome serious spinal and brain injuries sustained in car crashes.

"Ladies, you need to take a stand and not get into a car with a guy with a need for speed and a blatant disregard for his own and other people's right to life. It's a simple choice -- live or die," she said.

"Reckless driving is not impressive and people do not realise the consequences of such crazy behaviour until they attend a funeral of a family member, best friend, or a lost loved one. It's time we woke up to the reality of the situation. People die, not to mention the many people who are admitted to hospital daily with serious injury, some with little or no memory, who are unable to live a normal life."

RSA chief executive Noel Brett added that males were "massively over-represented" as the drivers involved in crashes, accounting for 80pc of all motorists in fatal collisions.
    A glass tint meter:confused: WTF ! Hardly paramount to road safety !

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,340 ✭✭✭Cmar-Ireland

There are a lot of car fitted with factory privacy tint on the windows from behind the drivers door back. Wonder if these allow 70% light transmission?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,531 ✭✭✭Zonda999

Stupid indeed. Driving dangerously is also possible in a car without a loud exhaust and without tints!:confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Exellent!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 127 ✭✭evogirl

was thinking the same thing myself :confused:
    seems like they're just trying to get the "boyracers" any way they can.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

Well since a boy racer is probably the one most likely to cause an accident then it is paramount to road safety.

As someone else said, there are cars you can buy with dark windows and most of them are mommy wagons :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,394 ✭✭✭✭Vegeta

Sigh

How many of the fatalities they list were caused by an exhaust or a window tint. Hell how many of the cars involved even had after market exhausts or window tints?

This country is gone to ****

• Registered Users Posts: 5,531 ✭✭✭Zonda999

Well obviously theyre trying to kill the whole boy racer culture that exists all over the country, of which they have no chance. This really is a waste of time and resources.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,663 ✭✭✭stealthyspeeder

I wonder how our Ferrarri owning friends will cope with the 80 decibel noise limit!!?:eek:

Saruman wrote: »
    Well since a boy racer is probably the one most likely to cause an accident then it is paramount to road safety.

I would love to know the make, model and modifications to cars involved in fatalities. Anyone know if they ever publish this data.

That article strongly suggests that exhausts and window tints cause accidents without them actually giving any figures. I am not a fan of either but its just the principle of the thing, the governing bodies don't like something so they ban it or fine the crap out of people without showing any proof.

I don't like that sort of practice.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭OldmanMondeo

Good, Quite a few accidents may have been caused from Excessive tints on windows. Driving cars with these would find driving at night / fog / any poor light condition hampered from have poor visability.

As for the exhausts, we all know that some of these are just to loud and offer no preformance to the car....just for Idiots to look cool to the bouys...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,418 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Sizzler wrote: »
    A glass tint meter:confused: WTF ! Hardly paramount to road safety !
    So you wouldn't consider windows so dark you can hardly see out of them to be a road safety issue then? Especially at night or in otherwise poor visibility.

I wonder how our Ferrarri owning friends will cope with the 80 decibel noise limit!!?:eek:

Never mind your Ferrari, how many tractors would pass an 80dB limit?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,340 ✭✭✭Cmar-Ireland

One thing with the loud exhaust is that you do hear them before you see them. Therefore increasing your awareness of them. Thats an increase in road safety IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,099 ✭✭✭RealJohn

In fairness, even if tinted windows and loud engines have nothing directly to do with accidents, they are a large part of the boy-racer "culture" and if this measure reduces that, it is worth it. It's not the noise from the engines (though that's annoying) and the tinted windows (which make it harder for the Gardai to identify those who actually are guilty of a crime), it's what they represent.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,091 ✭✭✭Biro

Good, Quite a few accidents may have been caused from Excessive tints on windows. Driving cars with these would find driving at night / fog / any poor light condition hampered from have poor visability.

As for the exhausts, we all know that some of these are just to loud and offer no preformance to the car....just for Idiots to look cool to the bouys...

Yep, I was driving in fog one day and this tinted window came flying out of no-where at me... almost killed me! A few miles later I had to swerve to avoid a low flying "loud exhaust"...
    These dark windows and loud exhausts are the cause of 350-odd deaths on our roads each year... and that's before they're fitted to cars!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29 jeckel

no more buses, trucks or tractors then?
    na, doubt it. it's a handy way to bust any boy racer randomly because the guards are too lazy to actually go to the hastle of gathering evidence against the sacks that are driving dangerously, aka; doing their jobs.

and is this 80db at idle? 2000 revs? 5000? at the exhaust, at the rocker cover, bonet? are vans breaking the law? what if the window is tinted and wound down, that means it's letting in 100% of the light.

stupid law, do something useful like stopping for drink driving or motorbikers that speed and overtake in the face of oncoming traffic.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭Farls

Their cracking down on modified cars more than anything it seems and the guys with highly modified cars drive a lot better than the 17 years olds out in the non modified micra's, clio's, punto's etc.

I'll admit though these loud exhausts and completely blacked out cars are a bit annoying so I'll be happy to see them go. That is if this is even enforced.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭Atomic Pineapple

People seem to be missing the point that it always was illegal to drive a car with an excessively loud exhaust and in fact right now a garda doesn't even need to measure the DB level of the exhaust, if in the garda's opinion the noise is excessive then they can prosecute.

So legislation that means the garda has to actually test the noise level of an exhaust can only be a good thing.

The test takes place at 3.5k revs at a distance of 1 meter from the exhaust so 80 DB is a fairly good limit at that in my opinion.

My Integra Type R will pass it no problem, whereas the idiots driving there corollas up and down my local town with there dust bins on the back wont so that can only be a good thing.

As has been said they are targeting the boy racer element on our streets, the only problem with that is that the general public or the garda are too thick to be able to distinguish between actual boy racers and proper modders.

For example in my local town theres about 15 idiots that continually drive up and down the town in Focus's, Corollas, Civics, Micras with noisy exhausts and they rev the tits out of them, I also know about 5 or 6 proper car enthusiasts that drive Integra Type R's, Lancer Evolutions, 200sx's, Rx7's that drive through the town at under 3k revs. If the Garda do it properly then the 15 idiots will get hit with fines while the proper car enthusiasts can get on with there hobby without hassle.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,619 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

draffodx wrote: »
    ...As has been said they are targeting the boy racer element on our streets, the only problem with that is that the general public or the garda are too thick to be able to distinguish between actual boy racers and proper modders....

Nail on the head. The problem though is trying to tell the difference.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,892 ✭✭✭spank_inferno

Anything to make things harder for these loud annoying and yes dangerous little sh*ts gets my approval.

Wont make no difference though. The gardai down my way seem alergic to enforcing any laws

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,339 ✭✭✭congo_90

Grrr just typical of this nanney state. They want us all driving toyota prius at no more than 80km/h

Some exhausts are loud but last I checked a loud exhaust wasn't the cause of death. Same for car windows but having said that there is a red bmw parked round here with what may as well be painted black windows with a tiny slit for the wing mirrors

Typcial rsa talking through their arse's.
    My car does not have any modifications bar a nice stereo and a set of alloy wheels but I do feel sorry for those who modify their cars as a hobby for shows etc.
    I pity those who modded their cars and are considerate too as the gards will stop those who aren't halfords heads and 17 years old imagining they're in need for speed

Bad enough they're sexist pigs.

If you see me and gay byrne in the street try stop me kickin him out in front of some "safe" vehicle

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,374 ✭✭✭Saab Ed

Well I for one am delighted at this. There are a bunch of toolboxes that race around our area every night and the bloody noise is insuferable. I have no problems with modified cars its just that I dont want to be listening to them racing at 11 at night. And further to a comment made by someone earlier about " what will Ferrari drivers do " or mething to that nature, Ferraris sound fantastic as does many other exoctics. Honda Civics , Fiat Puntos and Golfs ( even the fast ones ) sound like sh1te. So your loud exhaust is not showing off anything more than the fact that the owner is a pratt with a complex and some serious short comings. As regards very dark tinted windows, when you are passing a junction with a car stopped at it ready to pull out its very important to observe the the body language of said driver along with trying to establish that said driver has infact seen you. If you cant see said driver it makes for an unpredictable and dangerous situation. Oh an on a 12 year old Starlet they also happen to look sh1te too.

My comments are not intended to offend or directed towards the genuine modified car owners.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

I don't see any mention of loud motorcycles :)

"Loud pipes saves lives" :D

re tinted windows, Gardai should concentrate on idiots that use sub standard tinted helmet visors.

What a load of b***ocks.

70% light transmission on rear windows, id like to see a van pass that!

Some cars are loud for a reason i.e power.

To add to the stupidity of basically saying loud exhausts and tints cause fatal accidents, when you see a crash on the news or come on a crash its never a modified car its normally average cars, vans, busses or trucks. Maybe the powers that be should actually look at road safety measures rather than picking an easy target and licking the arses of the moaners who blame every problem on the road on modified cars.

What a load of b***ocks.

and some are loud for another reason i.e Plonkers

I have yet to hear a loud S class merc , Audi S8 or even a 3.2 vito van all of which have loads of power . Its just that their drivers are happy within themselves not usually lacking in a quality that makes them seek out attenetion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

What a load of b***ocks.

70% light transmission on rear windows, id like to see a van pass that!

To add to the stupidity of basically saying loud exhausts and tints cause fatal accidents, when you see a crash on the news or come on a crash its never a modified car its normally average cars, vans, busses or trucks. Maybe the powers that be should actually look at road safety measures rather than picking an easy target and licking the arses of the moaners who blame every problem on the road on modified cars.
    I sprayed the rear window of my van matt black to stop scumbags looking in. You can be fu*ked that im going to remove it and risk loosing tools etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,663 ✭✭✭stealthyspeeder

Saab Ed wrote: »

I have yet to hear a loud S class merc , Audi S8 or even a 3.2 vito van all of which have loads of power . Its just that their drivers are happy within themselves not usually lacking in a quality that makes them seek out attenetion.

Have you heard a Ferarri that would pass this new legislation?

Have you heard a Ferarri that would pass this new legislation?

They all do. Its called EU type approval. They have systems built into the exhaust that only comes on song when they are at full tilt unlike this rubbish...

Civic-Exhaust_jpg.jpg

which neither looks or sounds good. Ps as I said a Ferrari sounds good. ;):D

• Registered Users Posts: 39 super106

decibel level on hyundai 120 on a drive by was 70. and thats at 3 thousand revvs!!!

they say there level is 80, is that idel or drive by....

• Advertisement

Saab Ed wrote: »

Because they are luxo barges built for comfort, not highly tuned turbo cars with straight through exhaust systems to aid engine performance.

I doubt very much a ferrari is below 80dB at 3.5k revs, never mind lambos, TVR's and remember the Ascari on top gear clarkson couldnt hear himself think. Then you have harleys which are louder than 99% of modified cars.

On a side note I'm not talking about 1.0L starlets with a hole in the exhaust but about actual car enthusiasts.

Funny how most of the actual plonkers on the road drive normal cars.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement