Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Australian/NZ series?

Options
  • 15-03-2009 4:32pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 486 ✭✭

Hi!
    I discovered Underbelly after somebody recommended it on here, I absolutely love it! Are there any other Australian or New Zealand series worth looking out for? Obviously I'm not talking about Neighbours and Home and Away ;)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 654 ✭✭✭sillyputty

I enjoyed 'Outrageous Fortune' ITV tried to remake an english version last year and it didn't work.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

Shortland Street ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭calex71

long since gone but water rats was a favorite of mine, used to watch it when i got home from the bar i used to work in at some ungodly hour of the morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 515 ✭✭✭steve 0

Highly recommend Water Rats too and Blue Heelers is worth a look. Both are no longer in production.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,069 ✭✭✭✭fryup

who remembers Fields of Fire...the best series from down under imo

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,056 ✭✭✭gazzer

All Saints is a really good show imo. Its is in its 12th season now.

• Registered Users Posts: 55,473 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Don't laugh, but I'm addicted to Nothing to Declare on Living TV. Its a reality show around customs/immigration/mail services in Sydney, Brisbane and Melbourne.

They have some seriously strict quarantine rules in their airports. You bring in a banana undeclared and they'll fine you $220 because Banana's can carry the M'bububububu insect that caused $5,000,000,000,0000 in some remote part of Africa, 95 years ago *

* May not be true, but not far off!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,916 ✭✭✭dubmick

have you seen the new Underbelly Series? It's a prequel and it called a Tale of Two Cities.

I think it's better than the first series.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 486 ✭✭Mrs.T

Thanks for all your suggestions. I'm going to try and find them all. I am watching the new Underbelly series and really enjoying it too.

• Registered Users, Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 15,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭rebel girl 15

gazzer wrote: »
    All Saints is a really good show imo. Its is in its 12th season now.

Very good show, though its now being cancelled after 11 years. :(:(

Mr E - I admit my obsession with that show as well!! I was over there, and it is exactly how it is protrayed on TV, nothing is different, whereas some programs kinda beef up the stuff, this one doesn't.

Medical emergency is good as well, out of the blue is another soap opera, was on RTE but don't know where it went

A Country Practise and McLeods Daughters. Another programme I used to watch was Beyond 2000, a science show done in Australia

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 35,954 ✭✭✭✭Larianne

Mr E wrote: »
    Don't laugh, but I'm addicted to Nothing to Declare on Living TV. Its a reality show around customs/immigration/mail services in Sydney, Brisbane and Melbourne.

It's also shown on TV3. Called Border Security in Oz, dunno why they changed the name.

Also check out Summer Heights High. :pac:

Medical emergency is good as well, out of the blue is another soap opera, was on RTE but don't know where it went

I used to watch was Beyond 2000, a science show done in Australia

Medical Emergency was the show with the Nun that was a Doctor????

Beyond 2000 seems to be a production house now, RTÉ have co-produced some documentries with them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭population

Did you get Underbelly online? I have been looking for it but then i am not great with those things.

Did you know they could not screen it in Melbourne as one of the people mentioned in the show was up on criminal charges of the underworld variety.

Meant to be very well researched on the reality of organised crime in Australia.

For a movie on the same subject Chopper was excellent.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,019 ✭✭✭Brian CivilEng

Oz has a lot of good comedy shows floating about. Chasers War on Everything on BBC 4 is worth a look. As is anything involving Shaun Micallef.

There's a good bit of aussie comedy on youtube even if you can't find it on telly.

• Registered Users, Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 15,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭rebel girl 15

Elmo wrote: »
    Medical Emergency was the show with the Nun that was a Doctor????

Medical Emergency is a documentary program following the staff of the Royal Albert hospital in Melbourne as well as a nearby hospital. It was narrated by Georgie Parker (County Practise and All Saints) and the last time I saw it, it was being narrated by the guy who played Vincent, Charlotte Beaumonts ex husband in All Saints. Can't think of his actual name!

Medical Emergency is a documentary program following the staff of the Royal Albert hospital in Melbourne as well as a nearby hospital. It was narrated by Georgie Parker (County Practise and All Saints) and the last time I saw it, it was being narrated by the guy who played Vincent, Charlotte Beaumonts ex husband in All Saints. Can't think of his actual name!

Any idea of the name of the drama with the Doctor that was a Nun very similar to All Stains, I think the Actress that played the nun was in All Saints.

Murder Call, not as good as Water Rats but just as good as CSI.

Here is Murder Call in Italian

Any idea of the name of the drama with the Doctor that was a Nun very similar to All Stains, I think the Actress that played the nun was in All Saints.

Sounds like A Country Practise or Flying Doctors, not sure TBH, but I'll check it out

Sounds like A Country Practise or Flying Doctors, not sure TBH, but I'll check it out

No it was Adrenaline Junkies, looked it up on Wikipedia. Thanks,

• Advertisement

Snowy River: The McGregor Saga

Anyone ever watch this series? A Western.

realised that about a minute ago when I read through the post again!!! :o

• Registered Users Posts: 55,473 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Got another aussie show I've been completely hooked on for the last 3 months..... Masterchef Australia.

Last year, Network 10 cancelled Big Brother in Australia after a terrible season (ratings wise). This year to fill the gap, the reimagined the UK Masterchef format. Its fair to say they deviated from the format quite a bit. They did an auditions phase (american idol style) and whittled 7,500 contestants down to 50, then down to 20. Those 20 went through 3 months of challenges and were booted off about 2 a week until it got down to 6 for the final week (which is this week).

So like BB, there have been about 70 episodes (6 a week), and the finale is on this Friday. I've never seen a reality show with so many likeable contestants. Ever. And the judges are likeable. Its a joy to watch and I'll be sorry to see it end. Worth sourcing if you're interested - its a very good format.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,829 ✭✭✭KerranJast

There's a shedload of quality "young adult" shows like Spellbinder, Girl from Tomorrow, Pugwall's Summer, Ocean Girl, Round the Twist, The Tribe etc. Some of them may have dated badly though.

Anyone remember "The Sullivans". Really old Aussia drama set during WW2. The soapish elements in Australia were a bit Neighbours-ish but the angle the show took on following the lads at war in the jungles was brilliant. Maybe its on DVD. :confused:

KerranJast wrote: »
    There's a shedload of quality "young adult" shows like Spellbinder, Girl from Tomorrow, Pugwall's Summer, Ocean Girl, Round the Twist, The Tribe etc. Some of them may have dated badly though.

Anyone remember "The Sullivans". Really old Aussia drama set during WW2. The soapish elements in Australia were a bit Neighbours-ish but the angle the show took on following the lads at war in the jungles was brilliant. Maybe its on DVD. :confused:

Pugwall = Most annoying show ever.

The sullivans below

Also the reason why there are so many aussie dramas is because the Regulator insists on a certain amount.

Also the reason why there are so many aussie dramas is because the Regulator insists on a certain amount.

Why???

I had my mother on youtube the other night, she was watching all different old Aussie dramas including H&A and Sullivans!!

They have that program about the portal between Oz and Ireland on again, Foreign Exchange - if only it were true and there was a portal..........;)

Why???

It is just a requirement for their main television stations to have a certain amount of Drama production in their schedules coming from Australia what it has caused is the continued growth or sustainablitiy of Australian drama. It is considered a cultural aspect of Television, it provides jobs, money and training to a country. One of the reasons why Australia has a high number of Hollywood films is due to its highly qualified filmmakers. (Tax benefits also contribute).

Also it is called regulation.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,503 ✭✭✭✭Also Starring LeVar Burton

KerranJast wrote: »

I never watched Ocean Girl, but I remember it. All the other shows are legendary. I have The Tribe, Girl From Tomorrow and some of Round The Twist on dvd and have the books of Spellbinder. It'd be great if they brought Pugwall out on dvd.

Another Aussie show I thought was good is Heartbreak High. The first season or two anyway - I think it lost the run of itself after that.

Back in the day Home and Away and Neighbours used to be good, but then they just got sh*t. I'd love if they released the older years of H&A and Neighbours on dvd. At least up until 2002 in both shows was good.

• Advertisement

Back in the day Home and Away and Neighbours used to be good, but then they just got sh*t. I'd love if they released the older years of H&A and Neighbours on dvd. At least up until 2002 in both shows was good.

Really bad soap opera both repeating story lines every 5 years or so just with different actors and character names.

Look at the bad acting in the first episode of Home And Away, and I thought Neighbours was bad.

Pippa and Tom go looking for foster kids and take them to the country awh!

Advertisement