Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

200kms of road reclassified motorway except Athlone bypass

• 13-07-2009 9:05pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,633 ✭✭✭darkman2

SECTIONS OF NATIONAL ROADS AND PROPOSED ROAD
    DEVELOPMENTS DECLARED AS MOTORWAYS UNDER THIS
    ORDER

Reference in this Schedule to—
    N followed by a number is a reference to a national road
    R followed by a number is a reference to a regional road

N2 — Killshane to Ashbourne
    The section of the N2 between the grade separated junction known as Cherryhound
    in the townland of Killshane in the county of Fingal and its junction with
    the R135 in the townland of Rath in the county of Meath, via the townlands of
    Cherryhound and Ward Lower in the county of Fingal and Irishtown, Newtown
    Commons, Wotton, Fleenstown Little, Baltrasna, Harlockstown and Cookstown
    in the county of Meath.

N3 — Littlepace to Loughsallagh
    The section of the N3 from its junction with the R156 at Littlepace in the
    county of Fingal to Loughsallagh in the county of Meath, via the townland of
    Damastown in the county of Fingal and Clonee in the county of Meath.

N3 — Loughsallagh to Pace
    The section of the proposed N3 between its junction with the existing N3 at
    Loughsallagh in the county of Meath and its junction with the proposed M3 at
    Pace, via the townlands of Bracetown and Dunboyne in the county of Meath,
    and also the proposed north bound on-ramp at the Clonee interchange.

N4 — Kinnegad to McNead’s Bridge
    The section of the N4 between the grade separated junction known as
    Kinnegad West in the town land of Kinnegad and the grade separated junction
    at McNead’s Bridge in the townland of Heathstown, via the townlands of Griffithstown
    and Correllstown, all in the county of Westmeath.

N6 — Athlone to Ballinasloe (also known as the N6 Ballinasloe to Athlone
    Dual Carriageway Scheme)The section of the proposed N6 between its junction with the R362 at Monksland
    and its junction with the proposed R357 at Ardcarn via the townlands
    of Mihanboy, Taduff West, Ardkeenan, Loghlackagh, Rathpeak, Kilbegly, and
    Sralea, all in the county of Roscommon.

N6 — Galway to Ballinasloe (also known as the N6 Galway to East Ballinasloe
    Dual Carriageway).The section of the proposed N6 between its junction with the proposed R357
    at Ardcarn in the county of Roscommon and its junction with the existing N18
    at Glennascaul in the county of Galway, via the townland of Tulrush in the
    county of Roscommon and Poolboy, Mackney, Coololla, Cloghagalla Eighter,
    Ballynaclogh, Turksland, Brackloon, Cross, Killescragh, Carrowkeel, Greyford,
    4 [255]
    Deerpark, Newford, Rathmorrissey and Lisheenkyle East in the county of
    Galway.

N7 — Limerick Southern Ring Road, Phase 1
    The section of the N7 between its junction with the R503 at Mountshannon
    to a point on the existing N7 at the R511 overbridge in Rathbane South, via the
    townlands of Woodstown, Ballysimon and Inchmore, all in the county of
    Limerick.

N7 — Proposed N7/N20 Rossbrien Interchange (part of the Limerick Southern
    Ring Road Phase 2 road scheme)
    The parts of the proposed Rossbrien Interchange comprising of the N7 and
    N20 interchange loops in the townlands of Rossbrien and Rathbane South in
    the county of Limerick.

N8 — Watergrasshill to Glanmire
    The section of the N8 between its junction with the M8 at Mitchelsfort and
    its junction with the R639 at Killydonoghue, via the townlands of Transtown
    and Killalough, all in the county of Cork.

N8 — Glanmire Bypass
    The section of the N8 between its junction with the R639 at Killydonoghue
    to a point 400m north of the N25 Junction at Dunkettle, via the townlands of
    Riverstown and Ballinglanna, all in the county of Cork.

N9 — Waterford to Powerstown (also known as the N9/N10 Killcullen to
    Waterford Scheme)
    The section of the proposed N9 between its junction with the existing N9 at
    Cloghristick in the county of Carlow and its junction with the N25 at Granny in
    the county of Kilkenny via Seskin Lower, Moanduff and Moanmore in the
    county of Carlow; Shankill, Jordanstown, Ballyquirk, Rathcash West, Clifden,
    Kilree, Danesfort, Stonecarthy West, Knocktopher Commons, Kilkeasy, Garrandarragh,
    Ballykeoghan and Dunkitt in the county of Kilkenny.

N11 — Ashford to Rathnew
    The section of the N11 between its junction with the R772 at Kilmartin and
    its junction with the R772 at Ballynabarney, via the townlands of Rathmore,
    Mountusher, Rossanna Lower and Ballybeg, all in the county of Wicklow.

N11 — Arklow Bypass
    The section of the N11 between its junction with the R772 at Templerainey
    and its junction with the R772 at Cooladangan, via the townlands of Kilbride,
    Ballyraine Middle, Ballyraine Upper and Kish, all in the county of Wicklow.

N11 — Arklow to Gorey (also known as the N11 Gorey to Arklow Link)
    The section of the N11 between its junction with the R772 at Cooladangan in
    the county of Wicklow and its junction with the R772 at Ballinclay in the county
    of Wexford, via the townlands of Ashwood Upper, Ballyellin, Inch, Tinnock
    Lower, Toberduff, Courteencurragh, Raheenagurren West, Coolnastudd and
    Clogh, in the county of Wexford.
    [255] 5

N18 — Shannon to Ennis (known as Ballycasey to Dromoland)
    The section of the N18 between its junction with the N19 at Ballycasey Beg
    and its junction with the R458 at Latoon South, via the townlands of Killulla,
    Knocksaggart and Ballyconneely, all in the county of Clare.

N18 — Ennis Bypass (also known as N18 Dromoland to Crusheen)
    The section of the N18 between its junction with the R458 at Latoon South
    and its junction with the existing N18 as Carrowdotia, via the townlands of
    Manusmore, Killow, Knockanean and Drumquin, all in the county of Clare.

N18 — Gort to Crusheen
    The section of the proposed N18 between its junction with the existing N18
    at Carrowdotia and its junction with the existing N18 at Glenbrack in the county
    of Galway via the townlands of Bearnafunshin, Caheraphuca, Derrygarriff and
    Monreagh in the county of Clare, and Gortavoher, Curtaun, Ballyboy, Ballybaun
    and Drumminacloghaun in the county of Galway.

N18 — Oranmore to Gort
    The section of the proposed N18 between its junction with the existing N18
    at Glenbrack and its junction with the proposed N6 at Rathmorrissey, via the
    townlands of Coole Demesne, Ballymaquiff North, Ballyglass West, Cloghboley,
    Kiltiernan East, Roevehagh, Moyveela and Gortroe, all in the county of Galway.

N20 — Limerick to Attyflin (also known as the N20/N21 Junction)
    The section of the N20 from a point 660m south of the existing N7/N20 junction
    at Rossbrien to its junction with the N21 at Ballybronoge South, via the
    townlands of Dooradoyle, Rootiagh, Barnakyle and Attyflin, all in the county
    of Limerick.

GIVEN under my Official Seal,
    2 July 2009

New thread for Blunt Guy.

All except N6 Athlone DC will be changed on August 28th. From then blue signs will be up and the usual Motorway rules apply i.e no L plates, tractors etc etc.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 997 ✭✭✭Colm R

Its a pity something couldnt be done to connect the R135 with the N2 in Finglas. This would allow the M2 connect with the M50.
    At least the terrible signs on the N2 will be replaced.
    Disappointed the N25 didnt make the cut. I know its short but so is the N2.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,468 ✭✭✭BluntGuy

Okay, my full thoughts on these redesignations.

First of all;

WHY DID THEY TAKE SO DAMN LONG? This could've been done months ago. The public consultations concluded in December, poles were up on most routes by March! This utterly idiotic, unnecessary time-wasting cannot be repeated on similar exercises in the future.

Second... the Athlone Bypass is a HUGE dissappointment. Unfortunately Dempsey gave in to local whinging from a minority of road users who shoudln't really be using the road in the first place. Now we'll have a short stretch of highway in which fast-paced, long-distance motorway traffic will be mixed with cyclists, tractors and perhaps even pedestrians. It is utterly ludicrous from a safety perspective.

A few signs will also need replacing and some poles will need to be taken down because the NRA were anticipating the redesignation of the stretch, so that's money needlessly wasted.

It is shocking in many senses that a misplaced sense of ownership of the road from local lobbyists has caused a perfectly justified and sensible move not to take place. I can only hope that this matter will be re-considered in the future (similar to how the N9 was redesignated this time round).

But, enough complaining, let's look at the positives:

A whopping 200 km that has been screaming out for redesignation has now been redesignated. Thanks to this, we will now have a sizeable M18 when complete, the M20 will get its first five junctions and we will finally get an idea of how junction numbers will work on the M3.

The M8 will be one of the few motorways to actually replace the old route nearly directly into the city. I hope the old bit of N8 near the city centre is de-trunked. Same with M9, it will actually pretty much reach Waterford, which is excellent as it makes things nice and simple for both local road users and tourists.

Very happy to see local whinging didn't stop the N11 being redesignated. Excellent quality roadway that should have appropiate restrictions, and I'm now glad it does.

The M2 is another nice surprise (and a great excuse to get rid of that HIDEOUS gantry signage).

I do have worries though. While I have no doubt that signage on the actual redesignated stretches will be replaced to an excellent standard, I worry that the adjacent local roads won't have their signs touched. Obviously, if we are to make best use of our new motorways we have to make sure people are actually able to find and recognize them. If people see a bunch of "N" signs then are lead to an "M" road, it could cause them to get confused. I have spoken to both tourists before about what they think of our signage, and I can tell you that this IS an issue that needs rectifying.

Overall, despite my negative reaction to the Athlone Bypass and disgust at how long this took, I am very satisfied with the results of this redesignation. Roll on August 28th! A great day for both average road users and road enthusiasts in this country!

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,499 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

BluntGuy wrote: »
    The M2 is another nice surprise (and a great excuse to get rid of that HIDEOUS gantry signage).

The N2 is AFAIK the last outpost of the dodgey gantries, the country will finally be rid of the worst signs introduced since the modern system began in 1977.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,133 ✭✭✭mysterious

I was right about the Athlone bypass:D

Closes door from behind:p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,221 ✭✭✭BrianD

Does leaving out the Athlone Bypass make much difference in the grand schemeof things. It's so short that the difference in driving it at 100 as opposed to 120 is seconds. The M50 is a motorway but now has large sections at 100km/h. Seems to me that once we have HQDC's it's irrelevant if we have blue or green signs. Even the 20km/h speed limit doesn't really make a difference given the size of the country and assuming we had full interurban m-ways in place.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,042 ✭✭✭kaizersoze

mysterious wrote: »
    I was right about the Athlone bypass:D

Still wrong about the '1000 tractors' though. :p

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/ireland/2009/0714/1224250638091.html

From tommorow's Irish Times.
    The N6 from Dublin to Galway will be almost a full motorway, apart from the 8km stretch of the Athlone bypass which is still under consideration for motorway designation.

Hmmm... maybe Mysterious is speaking too soon. ;)

(Then again, considering they don't even know the correct length of the bypass, I have to wonder how reliable this information is).

BrianD wrote: »
    Does leaving out the Athlone Bypass make much difference in the grand schemeof things. It's so short that the difference in driving it at 100 as opposed to 120 is seconds. The M50 is a motorway but now has large sections at 100km/h. Seems to me that once we have HQDC's it's irrelevant if we have blue or green signs. Even the 20km/h speed limit doesn't really make a difference given the size of the country and assuming we had full interurban m-ways in place.

Yes thats why its fine as a DC, More than two thirds of the traffic is non Dublin galway traffic.

So that is 10,000 cars only for the N6. Its majorly traffic due to the bypass been a relief road and second crossing for the town. It has steep gradients, close interchanges and a lot of weaving. it has a lot of slow vehcles using it.

I don't see it been justified blue signs

They can give it special road status to ban cyclists and pedestrians.

But then again if a pedestrian is walking the bypass run them over, they are moronic enough to be on it in the first place to die, so plough them down. This will solve them problem about the same people who do sprinting on the Athlone bypass. They wont be sprinting on it that's for sure. There is no point getting upset about not having a fit over blue signs.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭fricatus

I don't see why the N25 Waterford bypass wasn't included in this redesignation. The only logic I've heard for not classifying it as a motorway is that it's too short a stretch. Why then was the N2 reclassified? It's only around 10 km long, shorter than the new N25 stretch.

At the end of the day, the important thing is that the N25 bypass is being built and will be open in a couple of months, but I would have thought that just the need to protect it from inappropriate development would have been enough of a reason to redesignate it. Not to mention the fact that it passes through three local authority areas in quick succession, all of which are competing for commercial rates.

Anyone got any idea why it was left off the list?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,110 ✭✭✭KevR

Yes thats why its fine as a DC, More than two thirds of the traffic is non Dublin galway traffic.

So that is 10,000 cars only for the N6. Its majorly traffic due to the bypass been a relief road and second crossing for the town. It has steep gradients, close interchanges and a lot of weaving. it has a lot of slow vehcles using it.

But then again if a pedestrian is walking the bypass run them over, they are moronic enough to be on it in the first place to die, so plough them down. This will solve them problem about the same people who do sprinting on the Athlone bypass. They wont be sprinting on it that's for sure. There is no point getting upset about not having a fit over blue signs.

It has very few slow moving vehicles from my experience. The few that do use it are definitely a safety risk. In my opinion safety is more important than a few slow moving vehicles being inconvenienced and having to use the bridge in town.

It still under consideration but if it doesn't get redesignated I hope they do something to ban pedestrians and cyclists. I'll be writing to the DoT to voice my concerns and I really hope I don't have to write to them again in the future to say "I told you so" when some pedestrian/cyclist gets killed or if a tractor causes a pile up.

With regards to the close interchanges, gradients and weaving - fair enough that it might* not be of high enough standard to have a 120kmh speed limit but it could have a 100kmh limit and be a pedestrian, cyclist, slow vehicle and learner free motorway. Westmeath County Council had apparently already applied to have 100kmh speed limit on in should it have been redesignated.

* Not everyone agrees (by that I mean the majority of people who use it every day and break the speed limit).

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,171 ✭✭✭triple-M

would anybody be creative enough to draw up a new road map with all the new stretches of motorway included in it,I would but im just no good at drawing

• Registered Users Posts: 3,110 ✭✭✭KevR

triple-M wrote: »
    would anybody be creative enough to draw up a new road map with all the new stretches of motorway included in it,I would but im just no good at drawing

Actually, how/when will OpenStreetMap be updated for the sections which are already open?

I presume it won't happen until August 28th anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,528 ✭✭✭veryangryman

BluntGuy wrote: »
    Unfortunately Dempsey gave in to local whinging

Agreed. I was that whinger. A +1 for Dempsey who i normally despise.

And yes i know it wasnt in the national interests but who cares. Dog eat dog and all that ;)

Agreed. I was that whinger. A +1 for Dempsey who i normally despise.

And what, pray tell, have the local people achieved by prohibiting this stretch from being redesignated at the present time?

• Registered Users Posts: 385 ✭✭JayeL

Colm R wrote: »
    Its a pity something couldnt be done to connect the R135 with the N2 in Finglas. This would allow the M2 connect with the M50.

The R135 has to stay as it is, there simply has to be a non-motorway route from Ashbourne etc. to the M50 - otherwise you'd be sending L-drivers on ridiculously-long diversions (obviously they'd break the law anyway but technically speaking blah blah blah....).

While it's great that Ashbourne is getting a motorway to Dublin (it's not like the N2 is being treated like a national road elsewhere, what with the interminable delay of the Slane bypass and NRA recommendations to HGVs that they go to Donegal via M1/N33), I don't get why it only starts after Cherryhound/exit 2. Why not after the Coldwinters exit? Bit weird having a six-lane N2 narrowing into a four-lane M2, isn't it?

I also fired off emails to the Dept. and the NRA today, suggesting they might take this re-signing opportunity to re-designate exit 3 of the M2 as "Ashbourne South" rather than just "Ashbourne". The same sign would tell "Ashbourne North" traffic to stay on the bypass, after which they'll be directed right at the end of the dual-carriageway towards the R135 into Ashbourne. That way, trucks etc. heading for the Business Park and Industrial Estate can be told to follow the signs for "Ashbourne North" and avoid the current situation, where HGVs are coming off at exit 3, up the R135 and crawling through the village to get to the top of the town.

I think it'd be a simple and cheap way of directing traffic around the town - but would the NRA be up for making changes like that or would the local authority have to request it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

What a waste of money in replacing all those green road signs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭Irish and Proud

+1

++1

+++1

IMO, there's absolutely no excuse for not classifying the Waterford Bypass as motorway - looks like more bloody backhanders by developers! :mad: I could understand the reasons for the Athlone bypass (though I still think it should be reclassified with a 100kph limit) remaining as an all purpose route, but not the Waterford Bypass! :mad:

Regards!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,785 ✭✭✭thomasj

Anyone taking bets on ho many of these newly classed motorways will be tolled? :rolleyes:

So the M3 ends at Clonee/Damastown and then becomes Blanchardstown Bypass or is that still N3?

+1

++1

+++1

IMO, there's absolutely no excuse for not classifying the Waterford Bypass as motorway - looks like more bloody backhanders by developers! :mad: I could understand the reasons for the Athlone bypass (though I still think it should be reclassified with a 100kph limit) remaining as an all purpose route, but not the Waterford Bypass! :mad:

Regards!

The Waterford bypass should of been made motorway. But The developers got int there to stop it I'm sure.

Only in Ireland does corruption comes first.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭D'Peoples Voice

JayeL wrote: »
    there simply has to be a non-motorway route from Ashbourne etc. to the M50(A MOTORWAY) - otherwise you'd be sending L-drivers on ridiculously-long diversions
    :eek:

• Advertisement

I think what he was getting at is that there is no way to get from the R135 to the N2 in Finglas on the city side of the M50.

The original N2 comes to a dead end only a few yards from the M50. It was a pity that in the current works to upgrade this junction, they couldn't find a way to feed this road through junction.

Simiarly, the M3 has to end at Clonnee as there is nowhere for the alternative route up to the Navan road on the city side of the M50.

I presume this is the same reason why the M8 is stopping just short of Dunkettle roundabout.

Well I am aware that you have an issue with it being reclassified but I am wondering if the volume of "local traffic" will continue once there is an m-way connected either side of it. I presume that some of this local traffic is currently coming from N roads beyond Athlone.

Having said that, if they are sticking up blue signs all over the place they may as well add the AThlone bypass and stick a 100km/h speed limit on it to deal with the safety issues.

Simiarly, the M3 has to end at Clonnee as there is nowhere for the alternative route up to the Navan road on the city side of the M50.

No big deal as there is already a good quality DC there anyway and given that it is in an urban area the speed limit would probably have to be 100km/h anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,687 ✭✭✭Bards

The Waterford bypass should of been made motorway. But The developers got int there to stop it I'm sure.

Only in Ireland does corruption comes first.

and so it begins http://www.kilkennycoco.ie/resources/eng/Services/Planning/Planning_Lists/Week%2026%202009%20Applications%20Received.pdf

Planning Application for site development works associated with servicing
    future 'retail park' development sites within the 3.0 hectares sites at Newrath, Co. Kilkenny.

The development will consist of the following: Ecological enhancement and landscaping proposals covering an area of c. 8560m2 to include the restoration of the existing drainage channel, wetland and wet woodland habitat on the eastern site boundary;

restoration of the wetland habitat along the northern and western site boundary; landscaping of a strip of land on the southern portion of the site; landscaping on all site boundaries to provide screening;

construction of a new vehicular access onto the N9 which was recently been downgraded to a Local Access Road;

culverting of the drainage channel beneath the access point; construction of a 7.3m wide internal access road to serve future development plots within the site consistent with the zoning objectives of the site or any planning permission granted; erection of 2.4m high security fencing; and installation of public lighting, electrical and drainageworks.

The proposed works includes for both the regarding and retention of fill deposited within the site over an area of c.26993m2 before 2001. An appropriate expert environmental assessment is contained in an Environmental Report which accompanies this application.

Newrath Co. Kilkenny

• Registered Users Posts: 5,528 ✭✭✭veryangryman

JayeL wrote: »

I also fired off emails to the Dept. and the NRA today, suggesting they might take this re-signing opportunity to re-designate exit 3 of the M2 as "Ashbourne South" rather than just "Ashbourne". The same sign would tell "Ashbourne North" traffic to stay on the bypass, after which they'll be directed right at the end of the dual-carriageway towards the R135 into Ashbourne. That way, trucks etc. heading for the Business Park and Industrial Estate can be told to follow the signs for "Ashbourne North" and avoid the current situation, where HGVs are coming off at exit 3, up the R135 and crawling through the village to get to the top of the town.

Same for Athlone. Strangers coming into town taking Kilmartins should have sign for "Athlone East". And Roscommon Junction should say "Athlone West"

Garycastle Junction is proper as it doesnt signpost the town and send some poor bugger over Garycastle bridge

Coosan and Ballymahon Exits also fine.

Roscommon Exit sign deffo needs to change to Athlone West. No sane person driving to Athlone Town has any business on the west side of the bridge. Good for pints, bad for parking.

• Registered Users Posts: 385 ✭✭JayeL

:eek:

Eh, yeah, oops!

What I meant to say was that they have to preserve a non-motorway route from the R135 to Finglas. L-drivers aren't allowed on the soon-to-be-100km/h M50 and the idea shouldn't even be hinted at....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,282 ✭✭✭D.L.R.

M10?

D.L.R. wrote: »
    M10?

No need. Kilkenny is soon to be designated as not really a city/county. Hence their hurlers won't be able to play anymore :D.

But seriously, I haven't be down that way in a while. Is the N10 a Dual Carriageway, or will it be?

And to answer my own question, I just checked the NRA website.

The M9 will come a lot closer to Kilkenny than the N9, and the remaining 6.5km will be high quality single carriageway. So no, it will be N10.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 242 ✭✭sonyair

Is the limerick bypass included as it was to be

Advertisement