Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Today I saw an abandoned classic and took a pic thread!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,269 ✭✭✭MercMad

Sounds good !

Did you ever have any luck with the others I mentioned ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 204 ✭✭Landyaddict

Saw them on the way to Newry on Saturday, will be heading over this weekend to try and get access to the yard.

3 lonely looking Landy's them.

Landy

• Registered Users Posts: 4,269 ✭✭✭MercMad

Yeah they are even more visible from the road now, seems odd 3 of them just left there. I presume they are Irish reg'd be interesting to hear what you find out.

MercMad wrote: »
    Yeah they are even more visible from the road now, seems odd 3 of them just left there. I presume they are Irish reg'd be interesting to hear what you find out.

Don't worry, I'll get photos and all and try find out as much as I can

• Closed Accounts Posts: 132 ✭✭rabbit Stew

One might even be an 88' Diesel.
    (He typed with crossed fingers)

• Advertisement

One might even be an 88' Diesel.
    (He typed with crossed fingers)

You never know Stew, I'll keep you informed.

Landy

• Registered Users Posts: 11,318 ✭✭✭✭carchaeologist

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,461 ✭✭✭Max_Damage

Bunch of fúcking rednecks :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,138 ✭✭✭Tomebagel

Max_Damage wrote: »
    Bunch of fúcking rednecks :mad:

whhhaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa:eek::eek::eek::eek:

I dont like seeing so many classics ruined like that tho:mad::mad::rolleyes:

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 11,310 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hermy

Where's the no thanks button?:(

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,958 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

FordCortinaMkIII.jpg

^ Whats the story behind this one?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,407 ✭✭✭G Luxel

Mildenhall........that is disgraceful. Must bring my shotgun if i ever go there.

I can assume that the Mk3 Cortina is in Greece or one of the islands like Corfu or Crete....:D

• Registered Users Posts: 24,958 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

^ Whats the story behind this one?
    G Luxel wrote: »
    I can assume that the Mk3 Cortina is in Greece or one of the islands like Corfu or Crete....:D
    Spot on - Crete! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 551 ✭✭✭trevorbrady

here's one for you: can anyone identify this classic? I can't :confused:

it looks like it was pushed off the (small) cliff years ago and the sea ate away everything except the engine, gearbox and back axle. Given time I'd say it'll get those too ;)

I spotted it while walking on rocks near Kilbrittain, Co. Cork last week. It was too far from the road for the engine and box to have been humped down to the rocks and turfed over so I figured someone must have driven or pushed it over...

anyway, here are the pics:

2009-07-19Kinsale-MMShow010Medium.jpg
    2009-07-19Kinsale-MMShow011Medium.jpg
    2009-07-19Kinsale-MMShow012Medium.jpg
    2009-07-19Kinsale-MMShow013Medium.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,461 ✭✭✭Max_Damage

Haha! That engine & 'box looks like a prune! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 132 ✭✭rabbit Stew

Or the fossil of a transformer.
    grimlock2.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 137 ✭✭Luke Crowley

Hmmm... pushrod four, manual gearbox and a trailing-link rear end with drum brakes. Not a huuuuge amount of clues there. If we could get a positive ID on the motor, though, I reckon we'd be getting somewhere.

Hmmm... pushrod four, manual gearbox and a trailing-link rear end with drum brakes. Not a huuuuge amount of clues there. If we could get a positive ID on the motor, though, I reckon we'd be getting somewhere.
    I wonder is the rear suspension from the same car,as i doubt a RWD car would have had that type of suspesion in those days?
    Is it a Ford Pre crossflow from a 105E anglia i wonder?
    [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]xfprexflow.jpg[/FONT]

• Closed Accounts Posts: 760 ✭✭✭245

That coolant feed in the middle of the head is curious though - I can't match it to a pre-crossflow head image on the net

• Advertisement

245 wrote: »
    That coolant feed in the middle of the head is curious though - I can't match it to a pre-crossflow head image on the net
    Fair point,it does look quite like it in other respects though,the offset thermostat housing is similar,though im not so sure if it is a pre xflow now.
    1300gt_head.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,407 ✭✭✭G Luxel

looks like maybe it was thrown off a lorry....could it be a Triumph Herald? just a guess. It looks like something from that Bodies exhibition......:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 760 ✭✭✭245

Fair point,it does look quite like it in other respects though,the offset thermostat housing is similar,though im not so sure if it is a pre xflow now.

Its very close to the image that you posted though - the ports are in the same position as is the thermostat. The rusty image inlet manifold is angled to the same degree as your image's inlet ports with the exhaust manifold in both cases being vertical - I think that you're there or thereabouts.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,901 ✭✭✭deckie27

here's one for you: can anyone identify this classic? I can't :confused:

it looks like it was pushed off the (small) cliff years ago and the sea ate away everything except the engine, gearbox and back axle. Given time I'd say it'll get those too ;)

I spotted it while walking on rocks near Kilbrittain, Co. Cork last week. It was too far from the road for the engine and box to have been humped down to the rocks and turfed over so I figured someone must have driven or pushed it over...

anyway, here are the pics:

2009-07-19Kinsale-MMShow010Medium.jpg
    2009-07-19Kinsale-MMShow011Medium.jpg
    2009-07-19Kinsale-MMShow012Medium.jpg
    2009-07-19Kinsale-MMShow013Medium.jpg

Did you try and start it ?

So whats the suspension off lads!!

deckie27 wrote: »
    Did you try and start it ?

try as I might, I couldn't find the key :(

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,756 ✭✭✭ianobrien

Where in Kilbritten is it?

I want to take a look at it properly

Ian

get yourself to Harbour View beach, walk away from the beach along the rocks (turn right when facing the sea), you'll come to it about a hundred yards past the (only) house with the steps down to the rocks...

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭pmg007

get yourself to Harbour View beach, walk away from the beach along the rocks (turn right when facing the sea), you'll come to it about a hundred yards past the (only) house with the steps down to the rocks...

Bring some fresh juice and a battery :D

• Advertisement

yer man in the house might have the key too...

;)

Advertisement