Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Henson to quit rugby.

• 13-07-2009 7:54am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,506 ✭✭✭

Heard this on sky news a while ago, havn't found a link on bbc or sky's site for it though.
    Post edited by aloooof on

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭zAbbo

Because of injuries?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

Hmm, it says the he will return to training on Monday on BBC site, nothing about quitting (yet).

Edit: Ignore this, see next post.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,506 ✭✭✭Jackz

BBC link

They are quoting the Sun so it could be crap.

The Sun = BULL****

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,506 ✭✭✭Jackz

The Sun = BULL****

The bbc have repeated it though.

Has taken up sailing according to the sun story.

Sun

• Advertisement

Yeah, and the BBC article has just been rewritten.

Originally it said he had considered quitting but was back in training next monday.

Basically they've just tabloided the heading, for shame BBC.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,193 ✭✭✭[Jackass]

My my we're all up very early this morning!! :D

That's kind of sad if he does. For all his fancy dan stuff, you can't help but feel he was a player who could have been something special on the pitch if he focused on his rugby and not what was going on off of it.

His career has really faded over the last couple of seasons and I can't see the Ospreys or Wales struggling too much without him.

[edit] just saw your post Zabbo...looks like he may make a comeback after all!!

[Jackass] wrote: »
    That's kind of sad if he does. For all his fancy dan stuff, you can't help but feel he was a player who could have been something special on the pitch if he focused on his rugby and not what was going on off of it.

His career has really faded over the last couple of seasons and I can't see the Ospreys or Wales struggling too much without him.

Spot on.

To be honest, Roberts and Shanklin are the centres for Wales and I can see Hook moving to the centre and the talented Dan Biggar playing at 10 for the Ospreys. Sonny Parker is a decent 13 too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,939 ✭✭✭mikedragon32

Could have being the operative phrase here.

No loss to the world of Rugby imho, if he was to quit. He'll long be remembered for that long range penalty against England (and for being Ireland's 16th man in Lansdowne), but apart from that what he'll be remembered for is the permatan and knobbing Charlotte Church.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 85 ✭✭nerophis

http://www.planetrugby.com/story/0,25883,3551_5427695,00.html

It looks like Henson might be finished. He never did enough IMO to live up to all the hype generated. Obviously a guy with huge potential but seems to have issues

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 654 ✭✭✭Amabokke

He will probably join Charlotte now in her talkshow discussing topics like tanning, hair dyeing and music.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 Rubgy King

good ridden "ugly" pretty boy. one of the most overrated players ever. Charlotte could run quicker than he could.....

Amabokke wrote: »
    He will probably join Charlotte now in her talkshow discussing topics like tanning, hair dyeing and music.

hahahahaha :D:D:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,413 ✭✭✭chupacabra

Rubgy King wrote: »
    good ridden "ugly" pretty boy. one of the most overrated players ever. Charlotte could run quicker than he could.....

Ah here, no need to insult the man. He was indeed overrated, but he had bags of talent and was superb when he felt like it. One of the most naturally talented rugby players in recent times. I for one will miss the fun we had with our fake tan jokes. :pac:

Quick to get the knives out? attacking his personal side rather than what he does on the rugby pitch?

He's a very good player but has had a horrendous time with injuries. From all accounts he is extremely dedicated on his physical side and I've no doubt he has had some issues mentally.

It's very difficult to understand Henson, his public image of father, husband, drinker, non drinker, welsh hero, wasted talent, has certainly take its toll on him - not to mention the rugby side, being shunted round the back line and not really settling anywhere.

He missed two RWC's, and only has around 30 Welsh caps - but played all of the Gran Slam 05 & 08 games.

He's the type of player I''d kill to have for Ireland, someone who's a genuine play maker with great hands and can tackle. You can say what you want about him personally, but he's extremely talented rugby wise.

I genuinely like Gavin, on form and fit - I think he's brilliant to watch and really hope he doesn't end up retiring.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,969 ✭✭✭buck65

You know he isn't a bad lad, for one when he missed the HCup 1/4 final against Munster I was relieved!
    Good player, maybe a run in a better TEAM than the Sprays would have been better for him, somewhere out of thelimelight and away from Wales for a while -let him concentrate on his rugby instead.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,249 ✭✭✭Stev_o

Honestly he is probably the most over rated player to every play for Wales. A truly talented and class player is someone who consistently plays at a high level week in week out, this is something Henson never achieved. He had decent games sporadically and even at that he never played any of those "great" games against world class opposition. He got the name of a good tackler by picking up a 18 year old and fecking groping him, during Wales GS in 2008 all he did was should charge tackles and bumps and if we go further back to 2005 where he was "supposedly" the best 12 in the world he refused to tackle against New Zealand and was the main reason Umaga scored in the second test.

1.50 onwards

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,572 ✭✭✭WeeBushy

It is a pity to see such a great talent go like this, had so much potential but just never fully made the step up from wonderkid to world class. Sad to see him go, but I wont miss his fake tan and gel one bit, was way to ott.

• Site Banned Posts: 5,346 ✭✭✭wixfjord

I have always been a fan of henson. He may not be the sharpest tool, and brought it onto himself a bit with the tan and hair, (why dont hook and byrne get the same treatment?) but there is no doubting he was/is a fantastically talented rugby player, great pass, boot and break. It will be a loss to rugby and a sad way to end his career. As someone said above maybe a run in a better team than the spreys would have benifitted him.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,920 ✭✭✭✭stephen_n

As was said don't think he ever had the temperamnet to match his ability which is the hallmark of truely talented player! All the same I do think he will be missed by Wales as on form even as an impact sub he would be a huge plus to their team!

• Advertisement

No doubt he was a good player but he was not a match winner or game breaker. He always striked me as a player who would first look at the camera with a "how do I look ladies" before doing a tackle or a pass. He is in love with himself and reminds me of Steve Welsh.

He is good but not great.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,591 ✭✭✭✭Aidric

He was in the papers for non rugby reasons more often than matters on the pitch. Along with the injury tally he just wasn't destined to be one of the greats of the game.

No doubt he was a good player but he was not a match winner or game breaker. He always striked me as a player who would first look at the camera with a "how do I look ladies" before doing a tackle or a pass. He is in love with himself and reminds me of Steve Welsh.

He is good but not great.

That imo is exactly what he was, and for me what he didnt do enough of was the basics that O Dricsoll and good centres do well. However he could/can change a game in a second and kick a winning penalty from anywhere. I would have been a lot more terrified had he stepped up to take that kick in the 6N decider and not Stephen Jones.

Btw has this been confirmed anywhere except the s*n yet?

wixfjord wrote: »
    That imo is exactly what he was, and for me what he didnt do enough of was the basics that O Dricsoll and good centres do well. However he could/can change a game in a second and kick a winning penalty from anywhere. I would have been a lot more terrified had he stepped up to take that kick in the 6N decider and not Stephen Jones.

Can you tell me which games did he turned around or won for his team?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,572 ✭✭✭WeeBushy

Not that I have been able to find, but check this out:
    http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,12333_5431217,00.html

Apparently rugby league side crusaders are interested in him...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,249 ✭✭✭Stev_o

WeeBushy wrote: »
    Not that I have been able to find, but check this out:
    http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,12333_5431217,00.html

Apparently rugby league side crusaders are interested in him...

That would be the most illogical switch in the history of inter code switches. Would be akin to Sean Long moving to Connacht.

Can you tell me which games did he turned around or won for his team?

So were basing whether or not gavin henson was a gamebreaker on if I, a man who cant remember his boards password, can remember when he turned a game around or won it for his team? Well he beat ulster almost single handedly in his first game and that kick to beat england aswell, but I cant remember any more. Sorry you must be 100% correct then. ;)

Would you not consider the one player who had enough self confidence, skill both with the boot and while running, and who could win a game on his own (because lets face it he musnt of exactely enamoured himself to his teammates) to be Henson? Because if ever there was a gamebreaker enigma who had it all, might not use it for 79 minutes and then could do something ridiclous in the 80th min for me it is Henson, the England kick showed that at least.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 85 ✭✭nerophis

I wonder when his contract is up at the Ospreys? There might be a touch of the Miami Dolphins about this one

So were basing whether or not gavin henson was a gamebreaker on if I, a man who cant remember his boards password, can remember when he turned a game around or won it for his team? Well he beat ulster almost single handedly in his first game and that kick to beat england aswell, but I cant remember any more. Sorry you must be 100% correct then. ;)

Would you not consider the one player who had enough self confidence, skill both with the boot and while running, and who could win a game on his own (because lets face it he musnt of exactely enamoured himself to his teammates) to be Henson? Because if ever there was a gamebreaker enigma who had it all, might not use it for 79 minutes and then could do something ridiclous in the 80th min for me it is Henson, the England kick showed that at least.

Not really about who's right here, it's about being able to use some backup references for a player who is a game winner. The winning kick was back in 2005 so that hardly counts.

Shane Williams, BOD, Fourie du Preez, Matt Giteau, Dan carter, Johnny Wilkonson are all game winners and can change a game in their favour.

Henson definitely had some skill but I believe the issue with him he was too caught up with how well he looked, media perception and his "coolness" that actually to take all of that and put it into a positive way on the field. He definitely has a boot on him but I think we just haven't seen enough of him. For me was only a 6/10.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,846 ✭✭✭siltirocker

Yahoo say he has become jaded with the game!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,339 ✭✭✭twinytwo

He wouldnt play for wales anyway... he wouldnt take the 12 jersey off roberts nor would he play 10 with jones or hook...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

He may not be the sharpest tool, and brought it onto himself a bit with the tan and hair, (why dont hook and byrne get the same treatment?)

I've always wondered this as well and I can only think it's jealousy on peoples parts. Danny Cipriani gets the same treatment as Henson and he dates a celeb who most males would love to bang.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,599 ✭✭✭ScrubsfanChris

I remember watching Henson during the Wales v Ireland game in the six nations, and for that whole second half he looked so dis-interested. When ever he got the ball he just walked into contact to set up a ruck and created nothing in the whole half.

Personally I never liked him, he has this kind of smug image that he is so good he dosen't need to prove it on the field. Wouldn't be sad to see him leave.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,084 ✭✭✭Hyperbullet

Henson reminds me of Lee Sharpe that used to play for Man Utd years ago, such amazing potential to be a great, but loved the limelight more than his sport.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 785 ✭✭✭ALH-06

Henson reminds me of Lee Sharpe that used to play for Man Utd years ago, such amazing potential to be a great, but loved the limelight more than his sport.

Haha maybe Henson will consider a move to play regional rugby in Iceland to help rejuvenate his career!

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭mojonta

He was a quality player

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,597 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

And the record for most obscure zombie thread revival goes to.....

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,623 Mod ✭✭✭✭aloooof

Mod: Resurrect another zombie thread and you will be banned.

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭mojonta

Twat

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,623 Mod ✭✭✭✭aloooof

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement