Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

advice on future appreciated!

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,149 ✭✭✭skyhighflyer

Well, I'll try to give you some more encouragement :)

If you want a low-cost way to do the NY bar, and are very motivated, I'd go online and snag a recent set of Bar-Bri books off eBay. Bar-Bri are the most well-known prep course for the NY bar, in fact Friary Law uses the same materials if I recall correctly. The only difference is you should get a good set of materials for around €500 as opposed to forking out €4.5k for the prep course here. Think of it as the rough equivalent of buying second-hand FE-1 prep manuals as opposed to taking the course.

However, if I were you I'd go travelling, go volunteering, do an internship abroad, do a traineeship in one of the EU institutions, get some work experience in a different industry, basically anything that will be a talking-point on your CV. The larger corporate law firms love that.

Also don't forget that any kind of work experience can be beneficial to finding an apprenticeship as long as you spin it right. For example, at an interview if questioned on work experience as a waitress, you could say how it showed you could deal with people, that you have a committed work ethic, and can keep yourself motivated while doing menial tasks (something you'll be doing as a trainee solicitor anyway)

I wouldn't consider having the FE-1s done as meaning you've too much invested in Ireland to keep you going elsewhere. You're 21 for crying out loud, well below the median age for most trainee intakes!

• Registered Users Posts: 483 ✭✭legal eagle 1

snag a recent set of Bar-Bri books off eBay.
    Do you have any idea how many manuals you would need to buy? Looking up ebay and cant seem to find any anywhere! Is there anywhere else you could buy them?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 137 ✭✭pandas

I wouldn't consider having the FE-1s done as meaning you've too much invested in Ireland to keep you going elsewhere. You're 21 for crying out loud, well below the median age for most trainee intakes!

I know I could easily switch to trying to qualify in a different jurisdiction but there has been a lot of money as well as time invested in doing the FE1 exams too at the same time. So I feel it would be a waste to just give up on them.

In saying that I am very interested in the New York Bar. I wonder how hard they are relative to the FE-1's??

Any suggestions on how I would go about getting an internship abroad or anything that would be a talking point on my CV. I'm not being lazy and not doing any research myself, I just really have no idea where to start looking!

I looked into that Washington Ireland Programme mentioned above and from what I can gather from their website you have to be registered in a college to apply for it. I am not.

Thanks for all your help!

Look up Projects-abroad.org, they do loads of legal and human rights internships in loads of different countries from china to malawi to south africa and vary from one month to six months, now they are expensive but they look absolutely class and in a way you could combine some experience with your travelling time :D im looking to do one in February in South Africa where you intern with the Legal aid board and it looks like a once in a lifetime opportunity, may not even come back ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 400 ✭✭Wheely

Ive been doing some research over the last two days on NY bar prep courses as Im doing it in feb here's what Ive come up with

Friary are the market leader, clocking in at between 4500 to 5000 depending on what sort of course you take. Status probably comes from the fact that they were the first organization in Ireland to offer such a course. Only lectures as far as i can tell are thru video link tho there is academics/attorneys to mark mock papers etc

Independent colleges are new in the game, started by val corbett from griffith and have actually poached most of griffiths lecturers from whatr i hear. They have live lectures and claim to be the only such course in the country to offer such a service. They also do mock exams. They also boast a 100% pass rate on last years Feb sitting. Thats said 100% could be 8 people for all i know. Their course is 4500, they also offer for 1500 notes and materials without any form of backup etc

In griffith 1500 will get you notes materials access to micromash, whci as far as i can tell for the new york bar is the most invaluable tool, all other course offer it, you can also do essay questions and send them in to be corrected etc and have access to their library lexis, JSTOR etc

I haven't heard of Bri-bar but I'll certainly check it out.

TBH at the moment im leaning towards griffith, i already have student loans and will bge paying for this myself so money is a factor. Im not gonna fork out upwards of 4k and they offer the best package for 1500. The only difference between hat and the more expensive packages seems to be lectures and as im sure you know from studying law, lectures are over-rated. A bad lecturer is nothing more than a hour wasted, i personally went to very little lectures in college and still manage to get a first, the majority of your work is down to you, in the library and at a desk in your bedroom or wherever. Its not complex mathematics or rocket science and there are very few concepts which are so difficult that you need someone to explain them to you. If you can read and have the requisite self discipline you'll be fine. I didnt use a prep course for the FE-1's either, I did however source the notes from Independent, and this being NY and federal law, id say its pretty crucial to get some set of notes from somewhere.

Ill certainly check out that Bri-bar option, but as Im sure you all know from the FE-1's up to date notes are also a necessity. USSC hears a lot more cases every year than the Irish supreme court, consequently law changes there far more frequently than here.

Your thanks are welcome and DO keep it up, if you've a passion for it and an aptitude you'll be fine.

Incidentally if anyone is interested in going for the griffith course i'd be more than willing to split the cost of it, maybe make a few copies of the notes and keep our costs down.

Best of luck with everything panda, hope you stick with it!

• Advertisement

Hey wheely, you've been doing as much research as me, i hadnt looked into Griffith College course though yet(that was this evenings plan of action :D), so let me get this straight for 1500 you get all the materials and study notes needed to do the bar exam in feb? That sounds like just what im after, im a bit weary of buying notes off ebay incase i end up with the wrong ones :rolleyes: Have you found out anything on how to actually register to sit the exam, like how many months in advance do u need to do it?

Hey wheely, you've been doing as much research as me, i hadnt looked into Griffith College course though yet(that was this evenings plan of action :D), so let me get this straight for 1500 you get all the materials and study notes needed to do the bar exam in feb? That sounds like just what im after, im a bit weary of buying notes off ebay incase i end up with the wrong ones :rolleyes: Have you found out anything on how to actually register to sit the exam, like how many months in advance do u need to do it?

Everything you need to know is here

http://www.nybarexam.org/

and for the mbe

http://www.ncbex.org/multistate-tests/mbe/

Registration for the February sitting is in November so still loads of time left. Yeah Griffith seems to be the best value for 1500, its a better package than Independent offer for the same price anyway. I'd also be wary of buying notes of E-bay, could be out of date etc, I'd say Griffith is where i'll spend my money in this regard.

Also panda, the volunteer/intern thing is invaluable, i did a 6 month internship with Amnesty International when i came out of college, fantastic experience, and a huge talking point in the interviews i did for the big corporate firms after. Really stands out on a cv, someone who's willing to work hard for free will probably work much harder for a paycheck, interviewers think it shows initiative, drive etc. Highly recommended and there are plenty of outfits that are happy to have someone talented work for free.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88 ✭✭legallad

I have been reading through the last two pages of comments from Wheely and legaleagle and i must say that the new york bar sounds very interesting.

Just a few question: How many subjects is one required to syudy and pass? What are the advantages of doing the new york bar if you are going to qualify in ireland and have to complete a traineeship here first? Does anyone have any ideas of the job prospects in america once you have completed the bar exams, as in is it in a similar situation to Ireland at present?

Finally just want to say thanks to the aforementioned Wheely and legaleagle, your comments have been very informative.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19 Spaulding

hi all,

i was wondering if someone would be able to give me a list of the Barbri books and others that i would need to help me pass the new york bar exam. i have decided to have a go off it without doing one of the prep courses. there seems to be quite alot of these books for sale on ebay and amazon but i dont have a clue which ones i really need. there seems to be so many. i would really appreciate any suggestions.

thanks in advance!!

Advertisement