Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

M18 - Gort to Crusheen

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭Tech3

Thanks for the photos Kev.

How did you manage to get a shot of the whole Gort interchange? Did you go into the site entrance?

Btw another structure yet to start is the tubber-crusheen overbridge. A lot of earthworks have been done on this section in the last few weeks. Also the tubber-gort road realignment is still currently being focused on the Gort side of the scheme.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,082 ✭✭✭Chris_533976

Great pics, thanks :D

I've always noticed how tidy this scheme is kept. Every time they stop work all the machines are lined up in a nice neat line.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,110 ✭✭✭KevR

tech2 wrote: »
    How did you manage to get a shot of the whole Gort interchange? Did you go into the site entrance?

Yeah just climbed the gate and walked in around.

That's another thing I noticed - this site is a lot more secure than the M6 site. On the M18 site there's fencing up in the Gort area and the gates were locked; whereas they leave the gates wide open on parts of the M6 site.

Got a few pictures of progress down near the Crusheen end.

Click thumbnails for full size images.

First 2 are of a bridge structure near the Southern end of the scheme; looking South:
    th_P1010724.jpg th_P1010720.jpg

Looking North from the Southern end of the scheme:
    th_P1010722.jpg

Mid-way between Crusheen and Gort. There was almost no earthwork done here the last time I passed! :eek:
    th_P1010726.jpg

Decided to take a few of the N18 HQDC (re-designation candidate) near Ennis.

First 2 are looking South from the overbridge at the Ennis junction:
    th_P1010691.jpg th_P1010693.jpg

Looking North from the Ennis junction:
    th_P1010697.jpg

Travelling Southbound, near Shannon:
    th_P1010701.jpg th_P1010707.jpg

:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:
    th_P1010704.jpg

Artwork on the Southbound carriageway
    th_P1010705.jpg

A bit off-topic for this thread but a few pictures of the N19 (spur off the N18 to Shannon Airport).

Pedestrian footbridge:
    th_P1010714.jpg th_P1010710.jpg

Looking West:
    th_P1010717.jpg

Looking East:
    th_P1010716.jpg

• Advertisement

KevR wrote: »
    Mid-way between Crusheen and Gort. There was almost no earthwork done here the last time I passed! :eek:
    th_P1010726.jpg

Thats the Ruan underbridge a lot was done from a few months ago though. Progress is still extremely fast. They have started on the Crusheen interchange also. Ballyline overbridge structure is almost complete as well.

Will upload some photos in a few days I took during the weekend.

Great photos of the N19 there also Kev.

The N19 wiki page page looks very bare might need a pic or two :D

Will upload a couple of photos to wikipedia today. Was going to do it last night but it was getting a bit late for me by the time I had finished posting them here.

Also, at the Gort interchange - last time I was there they had a temporary sort of railing on the bridge, now they have a permanent one. Looks like a layer of concrete has been poured on the deck of the bridge also. Didn't get any pictures though, just saw it when passing.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭serfboard

Progress is still extremely fast.

Agreed. It's been said on this forum before that bonus payments for early completion have been stopped for all roads, but you'd swear by the way this one is progressing that that is not the case.

Any thoughts?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,098 ✭✭✭glineli

serfboard wrote: »
    Agreed. It's been said on this forum before that bonus payments for early completion have been stopped for all roads, but you'd swear by the way this one is progressing that that is not the case.

Any thoughts?

The scheduled completion date is summer 2011, but at this pace how soon could they get it done?

• Advertisement

glineli wrote: »
    The scheduled completion date is summer 2011, but at this pace how soon could they get it done?

I have photos from practically every structure on the scheme to upload soon. It is going so fast it really is unbelievable. The ballysheedy underpass is open to traffic, the Lahardan overbridge only started a few weeks ago I couldnt believe how much has been done on it already.

August/September next year IMO.

Read in a different thread on here before that Gort-Crusheen will be getting a steel barrier and won't be getting a CBM layer (not sure if that's right but will certainly pull the the completion date forward if correct).

Next summer is definitely a possibility.

Work is flying on this scheme. Heres about 80% of the structures

Curraderra Overbridge
    DSC02101.jpg

Looking North from Curraderra Overbridge
    DSC02100.jpg

Ballyline Overbridge
    DSC02110.jpg

Looking south from Ballyline Overbridge
    DSC02109.jpg

Ruan Underbridge
    DSC02111.jpg

Crusheen Interchange
    Crusheeninterchange.jpg

Lahardan Overbridge
    LahardanOverbridge.jpg

Gortahover Overbridge
    DSC02119.jpg

Looking North from Gortahover Overbridge
    DSC02099.jpg

Shanaglish Overbridge
    DSC02121.jpg

View of Mainline South from Gort-Tubber overbridge
    SouthboundfromGort-TubberOverbridge.jpg

South side of Tubber-Gort Overbridge
    Gort-TubberOverbridge1.jpg

North side of Gort-Tubber overbridge
    Gort-TubberOverbridge2.jpg

Looking North from Gort-Tubber road crossover
    LookingNorthboundfromcurrentgort-tu.jpg

Realignment of the Tubber-Gort rd
    Realignmentofgort-tubberrd.jpg

Ballysheedy Underpass
    DSC02129.jpg

Looking south on Mainline from Ballysheedy underpass
    DSC02130.jpg

R460 Crossover looking at mainline heading north toward Gort Interchange
    R460crossoverlookingnorthboundGortG.jpg

R460 Overbridge
    R460overbridge.jpg

Thanks for those :D This is still flying along. Its putting other schemes to shame.

Thanks for those :D This is still flying along. Its putting other schemes to shame.

Also to add to the photo updates:

Lurga Underpass unknown
    Moyree Overbridge unknown
    Mid Clare Way(underpass) unknown
    Millbrook River bridge unknown
    Bearnafusin underpass construction (no access to this)
    Cragard Overbridge construction (no progress on it)

Tubber-Crusheen Overbridge:

This hasnt started yet but when I was passing it the other day a new surface has been put down parallel to the current road so to accomadate construction of the overbridge. It should start in the next month or so.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,098 ✭✭✭glineli

They are working down the Cursheen end til 9 pm these days with the good weather, its great!!!!

westtip wrote: »
    Think I'm gettin my road schemes confused - alas I agree with you I am not counting on the Atlantic corridor remotely coming in on timing of T21, mores the pity.

I wish it was the case myself as I use most of the route regularly. Gort-Tuam is absolutely MASSIVE though and if it goes ahead next year I will be very surprised.

The rest of the N17 and N4 Sligo bypass is a pipedream away. Actually a bypass of Sligo looks very complicated in design itself.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 68,020 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

N4 Sligo Bypass won't even start happening until the SIRR stops functioning to an acceptable level. Which is another five years of actual economic growth away....

http://www.galwaynews.ie/8015-n17-cpo-land-values-halved
    N17 CPO land values halved

Thu 2nd July 2009
    Landowners disappointed at price estimates

OK_TUAM_N17_MAP.jpg
    LANDOWNERS along a 45 mile stretch are set to be disappointed as the value of lands they will sacrifice for a new motorway has plummeted by more than half over the past two years.
    It means that the lands that will be subject of compulsory purchase orders between Gort and Claremorris are now worth considerably less than the compensation packages which farmers along the M6 received.
    Prices of around €20,000 was being paid for an acre of land two years ago but now the value has dropped by more than half and this will be reflected on the compensation packages paid to farmers on whose lands the new road will pass through.
    This week the proposed N17/N18 Gort to Tuam road will go to tender and it is expected that compulsory purchase process will commence early next year.
    Farmers will...

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,640 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

KevR wrote: »

Good. Land prices had reached ridiculously obscene levels during the Great Irish Property Bubble. I'll bet the farmers will be holding out and make threats to the NRA. Well - the more they hold out, the more their land values will drop.

Economics of supply and demand, lads...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,105 ✭✭✭nordydan

Updates here:
    http://www.galway.ie/en/media/Media,10689,en.pdf
    http://www.galway.ie/en/media/Media,10688,en.pdf

I read the article and thought the Tuam-Claremorris scheme was confirmed as motorway. Not so

Good that its getting planned, but Tuam - Claremorris wont be built for an unbelieveable amount of time.

They've always been blue as far as I can remember, they are on the N11 Single and Dual Carriageway. Blue is the colour for parking signs???

Thanks wasnt sure as I dont see them on many dcs usually.

nordydan wrote: »
    Updates here:
    http://www.galway.ie/en/media/Media,10689,en.pdf
    http://www.galway.ie/en/media/Media,10688,en.pdf

I read the article and thought the Tuam-Claremorris scheme was confirmed as motorway. Not so

Nope traffic levels anywhere above Tuam dont warrant a motorway standard road. 2+2 is very good compared to what the state the current road is at the moment in places.

Milltown to about 3km south of it need to be resurfaced badly.

When/IF Gort-Tuam is done it will leave a very poor road (Tuam-Claremorris) sandwiched in between two very good stretches (Gort-Tuam) (Claremorris-Curry).

On the N17 Tobercurry Bypass to Knock Bypass Ph 1 it says:
    The scheme bypasses both the towns of Kilkelly and Charlestown/ Bellahy and the village of Curry,

Funnily Killkelly and Curry already have a bypass. Something sounds very familiar here .........

• Registered Users Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

I thought the N17 is pretty good from North on Ballindine( as it's in Mayo it got some of the P Flynn goodness....)
    Claremorris even has a badly laid out GSJ where the N60 crosses the N17.
    Loads of Level crossings though, these need to be removed...

Yeah when the road improves with h/s somewhere between Balendine and Claremorris it is of good quality until Curry.

So no plans for the WRC to Sligo then!!! :D

I think the N17 will hold up fine north of Tuam with perhaps a need of resurfacing on some stretches for the next few years being realistic with no money for upgrading.

Galway-Tuam is way beyond capacity though IMO and the road wont hold up much longer with the amount of traffic it carries every day. N17/N18 is badly needed but I seem to be repeating myself at this stage :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,282 ✭✭✭westtip

and Curry already have a bypass. Something sounds very familiar here .........

Indeed Curry is bypassed however - as there are a few houses on the "by-pass" plus a hotel (Yeats Lodge) the speed limit drops to 60kph, and the road is actually quite good (standard wide singlecarriage with hard shoulder; it is a very popular spot for the Gards to sit rather lazily and pop people for speeding - which is very easily done cos if you don't know the road you would think it was a national road with standard national road speed limits. I have been done on it by a Gard just sitting there pulling guys in on a Friday afternoon with nothing better to do - like catching a few criminals, or looking for lunatics driving at high speed on country boreens. I wouldn't mind if they made some effort to really get you to slow down but the Mayo Garda are using it as a revenue generator and to easily keep their numbers up on speeding fines.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭Irish and Proud

Nope traffic levels anywhere above Tuam dont warrant a motorway standard road. 2+2 is very good compared to what the state the current road is at the moment in places.

...yeah, but if they're going to go to all the bother of building a complete new alignment instead of re-aligning the worst parts of the existing N17 and improving the rest (to 2+2 spec), would it not make sense to go the whole way and build an M-way (even with CGSJs like on the M18). In any case, most roads crossing 2+2 alignments are grade separated (CGSJs for roads between 1000 and 5000 PCUs?) except for junctions with busier roads (5000 PCUs +?) for which roundabouts are standard. LILOs can also be used for roads of 1000 PCUs or less (on 2+2s).

Cross Sections:

Type: 2+2 (Type 2 Dual)
    Pavement: 16.5m
    Verges: 2.5m
    Alignment: 21.5m

Type: D2M (Standard Dual)
    Pavement: 21.6m (min)
    Verges: 2.0m
    Alignment: 25.6m

OK, there is a difference of 4.1m (5.1m for the pavement), but by the time the road actually gets built, future proofing might become more of an issue - it was 20 years since I was ever on the N17 between Tuam and Claremorris, but if I remember correctly, it was a pretty busy road. If a motorway proves too expensive, maybe a reduced dual road type could be considered by the NRA:

Type: RD2 (Expressway - like the Autovia roads in Spain)
    Verges: 2.0m
    Verges Strips: 1.0m
    Carriageways: 7.0m
    Median (C.B.): 2.6m
    Pavement: 18.6m
    Alignment: 22.6m
    Difference (2+2): 1.1m (2.1m for the pavement)
    Junctions: Full GSJs

This road would offer the same driving comfort as the Standard Dual - Same distance from the concrete barrier rather than being a mere 0.5-0.6m from a wire barrier - especially for longer distance driving. Also, carriageways with 1.0m strips would feel a lot less closed in than those with 0.5m strips. If sightlines are good enough and traffic is fairly light, a 120kph limit could be applied to such expressways.

Regards!

• Advertisement

I really dont think we need a motorway to Claremorris. The threat of the WRC going there eventually is bad enough. 2+2 will be fine.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement