Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Poker Boards Discussion thread... (BBV thread)

• 15-06-2009 3:47am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,140 ✭✭✭ocallagh

sceptre wrote: »
    Yeah, Feedback. Or the Help Desk, though you could all contribute to one thread in Feedback. If it takes it out of this thread, because it's not helping its existence by being in this thread, take it to a single thread there. Taking over this thread with the complaints/protest is effectively thread-spoiling for those who want this BBV thread to be available to them.
    As such we have somehere to discuss the matter. I would encourage anyone who regularly posts in the BBV to make their points here
    Post edited by Shield on

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 37,482 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Can an admin go to the old BBV thread now and just post there that its definitely not going to return to the poker forum.

I reckon that will sort everything out.;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,191 ✭✭✭Macspower

I request that this thread be left open and is not locked like every other attempt to discuss the poker forum.

To Admins and Mods and Devore/Tom Murphy

As you are well aware you had a problem with a few posters in the poker forum and you took action against the whole poker community instead of against the few individuals.. You then refused to discuss the matter by locking every attempt to resolve the matter.

I was glad to see at least an attempt of a return to normality tonight when Devore opened a new BBV... Many posters including myself are not happy with this resolution and wish to have the old thread returned..

For those of you not familiar with the BBV it is the heart of the poker forum where the poker community can discuss all aspects of life and poker in general.. it was probably one of the busiest threads on boards and it's where the character of the poker forum evolved from...

No one is in dispute that some of the guys on the poker forum trolled another forum and shoudl have to answer for that.. In fact see Ariana Fancy Stitch's earlier thread on the helpdesk where he openly admited to it and agreed to accept the consequences for it.

One other very serious issue for me was tonight modding of the poker forum by non poker mods that really have no idea what it's all about...

I made this post in reply to a mod at one stage and found it deleted
    Kinetic^ wrote: »
    Lads, if you can not follow this the thread is going to get scrapped again. Please wait till Dev is online again tomorrow so that the poker mods can discuss it with him. No more posting about the old BBV thread or the moderators/admins until you hear back from the mods or Dev. Thread has been cleaned up.

I replied

With all respect, you know nothing about us here or our community...

The disrespect we've been shown over the last few days by admins and mods from outside this community has been nothing short of insulting...

I'm truely sick of being threatened by bans/locks on every attempt to rectify the matter...

please set up a help thread or somewhere the matter can be discussed with dev or whoever is calling the shots...

We will make our points then in a civil and logical way ...

telling us to shut up will only make the matters worse..

I am willing to enter discussion about the matter but every attempt is deleted/locked. While I was never under any illusion that boards was a democracy but it's certainly not a faciest dictatorship...

Mods/admins/Devore.. please listen to the people that post on your forums.. without them there would be no forum

leave this thread open and reply in a respectful manner to our concerns..

I know I have more concerns which I will post later but so have a lot of others that you have tried to silence as well

Let us argue the point in an open thread and come to a conclusion..

great minds think alike... I just opened one as well ... said a few more words though...

guess mods will link them for us..

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

Threads merged. Unless there's a reason for two, there's only a need for one.

agreed.. I think we cross posted..

anyway enough for one night.... lets see how this pans out tomorrow

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,646 ✭✭✭cooker3

Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 3,140 ✭✭✭ocallagh

For reasons stated previously
    1) It contains a lot of useful searchable data
    2) A lot of people contributed hours/days/1000's of posts and this has some sentimental value
    3) It still feels like the community is getting punished and I'd prefer to see site bans/warnings to individuals rather than have everyone suffer.
    4) Having a new BBV thread at some level insinuates that the old one was wrong or deserves to be in the recylce bin. It does not. As mentioned above some individuals deserve that but not the thread itself.

I believe there is a case for reinstating the old BBV thread.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,277 ✭✭✭✭Rb

If one of the poker mods could pm me the posts of mine that were deleted from the "new" BBV thread from tonight, it'd be much appreciated.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 358 ✭✭Wolves

This is pretty basic really. The BBV was locked/removed and obviously most if not all people who used it were a bit annoyed. The reasoning behind this seemed sketchy at best and the whole thing was blown way out of proportion and that was the main reason for heated responses from members.

Anyone who has seen these responses knows that basically everyone is in agreement over this and maybe it's time for mods to realise that so many people are not causing a fuss just to wind them up.

While there were some posts which may have been offensive and deserved to be deleted it also didn't help when reasonable viewpoints were deleted for no apparent reason.

In short the whole thing has descended into a farce and the censorship is really over the top.

eagle eye wrote: »
    Can an admin go to the old BBV thread now and just post there that its definitely not going to return to the poker forum.

I reckon that will sort everything out.;)

Also this is just not smart.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 37,482 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Wolves wrote: »
    Also this is just not smart.
    Quite obvious you didn't catch the inner meaning of it. Its a bbv thing.

Yes i caught it but anyone who doesn't read the BBV but does look at feedback won't. As i think you agree with the rest of us it just didn't seem like a bright idea to me.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 29,509 Mod ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

That thing about whatever is posted / team backed / player supported, it jinxes them and the opposite happens? :D

I geddit! :p

• Registered Users Posts: 8,806 ✭✭✭Lafortezza

From this poker mods point of view, the only thing I am really concerned about is the fact that every single poker forum poster is getting disciplined for the actions of a few. It's nothing to do with me what happens individually to the posters who invaded TCN in terms of sitebans/bans.

It's not as if the attack on TCN was covertly organised and can't be traced back to individuals. Yet everyone on poker is punished. Doesn't make sense at all and it is pretty damaging to the community.
    ocallagh wrote:
    1) It contains a lot of useful searchable data
    2) A lot of people contributed hours/days/1000's of posts and this has some sentimental value
    3) It still feels like the community is getting punished and I'd prefer to see site bans/warnings to individuals rather than have everyone suffer.
    4) Having a new BBV thread at some level insinuates that the old one was wrong or deserves to be in the recylce bin. It does not. As mentioned above some individuals deserve that but not the thread itself.
    These four points are essentially what it boils down to.

Personally I'd like to have the old BBV back, but if it is not returned in place of the new BBV then so be it, the poker forum will carry on.
    The danger to the poker forum and its community is that many many members feel that this whole situation has been dealt with very unfairly and without transparency, and that all members are being punished for the f-ups of a few.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,083 ✭✭✭RoundTower

A lot of people have posted stuff along the lines of "well it was just a few bad apples, why punish the whole poker forum?" This is missing the point. The Cuckoo's Nest thing is just a tipping point, many people outside the poker forum hate the idea of the BBV thread and this is an opportunity for them to lobby for it to be gone.

Think of it this way. Suppose you're the moderator of the notoriously contentious and juvenile Badminton forum on a popular site like tables.ie. You don't actually play badminton or follow any professional badminton, but what really gets you wet is the power to ban people you don't like safe in the knowledge the other badminton mods will have your back. Now suppose you see hundreds of badminton-related posts in the the poker forum, particularly when there's a big event like the Badminton League of Champions, many of which would be grounds for a banning under your capricious rules.

Do you not think you would feel a little premenstrual when you realised that these posts were being allowed in the poker forum, a place where you had no control, but that if they had to be moved to your forum you would get to feel that tingly feeling you haven't felt outside the internet since 2003?

Now -- this is important -- I'm not saying the current badminton mods on boards are like this. In fact I know the majority of mods aren't like this at all. But if there are a few vocal mods like this who complain about the toys their friends are getting, you can see how there could be pressure on the likes of DeV not to allow the BBV thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 746 ✭✭✭Gillybean72

It took me 2 years to get the paltry 800+ posts and now back to 600+ mega mega peed I dont feel like really coming back to the new BBV, its lost it's charm. But the losing the post count is just the pits. see ya :)

Alternatively, suppose you're the moderator of the interesting, but dwindling Red Wine forum on the same website. You're not petty like the previous mod. You really do have a passion for wine tasting and discussion, and treat the posters there with respect, but your self-worth is partly unhealthily tied to the health of the forum you mod. Sadly your forum has lost popularity in the last twelve months, not due to anything you did but because more people have less money are just happy to buy a €6 bottle of plonk. Now you see hundreds of posts in the poker forum about red wine. You think that if these posts were part of your forum you might rejuvenate discussion. Never mind the fact that these posts would never have happened in your forum if there was no poker forum at all -- mightn't you feel a bit jealous and resentful?

Once again I'm not saying the current red wine mods are like this. But it's extremely clear that there are forces outside the poker forum who do not like the BBV thread in any form, and I'm trying to show some reasons why.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 42,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beruthiel

lafortezza wrote: »
    From this poker mods point of view, the only thing I am really concerned about is the fact that every single poker forum poster is getting disciplined for the actions of a few. It's nothing to do with me what happens individually to the posters who invaded TCN in terms of sitebans/bans.

It's not as if the attack on TCN was covertly organised and can't be traced back to individuals. Yet everyone on poker is punished. Doesn't make sense at all and it is pretty damaging to the community.

Considering that this is not the first time something like this has happened from that thread, considering that, then from our point of view, a stand must be made.
    Appalling behaviour by some people and not the first time.

If you are not part of the solution, then you are part of the problem.
    If the whole community is suffering because of a few people, will they allow this to happen again or will they actually do something the next time around?
    Most communities tend to deal with their trouble makers, time for the Poker forum to do the same.

You will not be getting your old thread back.
    DeV has started a new one and you can use that.
    Be aware the if this happens again, you run the risk of not having one at all.
    I suggest you all take that on board for next time so you do not stand by and allow a few people ruin your forum.

RoundTower wrote: »
    . The Cuckoo's Nest thing is just a tipping point, many people outside the poker forum hate the idea of the BBV thread and this is an opportunity for them to lobby for it to be gone.

What in Thors name are you talking about?

There has been no lobby anywhere that I am aware of.
    This was an Admin decision.
    A decision made by Admins.
    There was no outside influence whatsoever.

That thread is gone for the exact reasons I have already stated above.

Should I move your post to the CT forum? :)

• The "count to a million" thread in tCN is, like almost all of the threads there, a bit of fun.

Nothing more, nothing less.

In the year it's been running it has crept up the "most posts" statistics list, recently overtaking the bbv thread has been an achievable objective.

Last week there was less than 500 posts in it!

Then the thread started "racing" the count to a million thread :)
    That is when the spoiling began,
    It appears that the competative streak in some poker posters overtook their sense of fair play.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,441 ✭✭✭Killme00

Beruthiel wrote: »
    Considering that this is not the first time something like this has happened from that thread, considering that, then from our point of view, a stand must be made.

If the whole community is suffering because of a few people, will they allow this to happen again or will they actually do something the next time around?
    Most communities tend to deal with their trouble makers, time for the Poker forum to do the same.

I suggest you all take that on board for next time so you do not stand by and allow a few people ruin your forum.

Thats a load of bollocks.

• Registered Users Posts: 394 ✭✭Blured

I just wanted to speak up for a different type of BBV reader - and that is the lurker.

I used to play a bit of live/on-line poker, but don't really anymore. I still check the Poker Forum though and the only reason I do this is the BBV. For people looking in from the outside it may be a be cliquly (sp?) but for anyone who has read it since its beginning, it is without doubt the best thread on boards.

I may not post that often there - I think I have maybe 5 posts in the BBV, but I do not think I am alone in my lurking in that thread. If the Poker forum (or boards) loses that thread I honestly think it will be a poorer place to be.

Just wanted to give the point of view of someone not really in the "Community" but someone who definitely gets entertainment from the BBV

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,720 ✭✭✭El Stuntman

mystified by this, isn't that the mods job?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,806 ✭✭✭Lafortezza

Is this directed at the mods or normal users in poker?
    If it's the mods then punish the mods with de-modding or a stern talking to, or a strict review of the charter and rules of the forum.

If it's the normal users that this is directed at, its not really up to them to mod the forum. They can kick up a fuss with reported posts/pms to mods/helpdesk complaints, but most don't because the mods/smods/admins usually sort out spam or other nonsense pretty quickly.

If it's the poker 'community' on boards in general that you think should police itself, not everyone keeps a close eye on the BBV thread, most like me skim it for interesting discussions. Personally I totally ignore actual poker stuff and most youtube videos on it. Alot of people probably never even noticed the posts on the BBV about trolling TCN.I think the crossover is people who read/post in the BBV and also are active on TCN is miniscule.

By the time this situation blew up over the weekend, the BBV had been binned and all discussion locked down.
    That's the admins choice ofc, and I'm trying not to sound like a broken record here, but those people who were responsible for abuse/trolling were listed by Gordon in the reported posts thread in the mod forum. Everyone in the poker forum suffers when they could be disciplined instead?
    I still don't understand why this has to be the case.

It's like the whole poker forum is being labelled as troublemakers and generally a nasty bunch. There's alot of innocent posters who enjoy boards.ie being punished when there's a much fairer solution available.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,656 ✭✭✭dannydiamond

The "count to a million" thread in tCN is, like almost all of the threads there, a bit of fun.

Nothing more, nothing less.

In the year it's been running it has crept up the "most posts" statistics list, recently overtaking the bbv thread has been an achievable objective.

Last week there was less than 500 posts in it!

Then the thread started "racing" the count to a million thread :)
    That is when the spoiling began,
    It appears that the competative streak in some poker posters overtook their sense of fair play.

Nonsense.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,249 ✭✭✭✭Kinetic^

You would think so.

That thread is gone for the exact reasons I have already stated above.
    weird in that case that totally uninvolved mods from other forums are so happy about it, and that discussion of the whole thing was banned for days.

Yes I believe it was "an admin decision" (duh). No I don't believe it was about a couple of trolling posts in TCN which would have taken about a minute to delete all trace of.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 24,924 Mod ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

The community has to take some responsibility too - reporting problem posts, telling people to cop on. It's not too much to ask :)

Killme00 wrote: »
    Thats a load of bollocks.

Don't post in this thread again if you have nothing useful or helpful to say.
    lafortezza wrote:
    Is this directed at the mods or normal users in poker?

Both.
    Other communitites self regulate by reporting posts and helping Mods out by doing so. A two way thing if you will.
    When mod of PI, regulars would report breaches of charter all the time. Other forums have the same level of concern for the forum they use.
    That's the admins choice ofc,

ofc?
    El Stuntma wrote:

Indeed it is.
    The report post option is also there.
    RoundTower wrote:
    weird in that case that totally uninvolved mods from other forums are so happy about it, and that discussion of the whole thing was banned for days

Again, I'm not sure what you are talking about?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,139 ✭✭✭Wreck

I don't have time to write a well-thought out post that accurately reflects my views on this, but I would like to say that this debacle has really annoyed me. I'm astounded at the attitude of the admins and DeVore to the boards poker community as a whole and the idea that it is acceptable to punish everyone for the actions of a few. And the fact that we were not even allowed to discuss this on feedback over the weekend is just ridiculous.

If you are referring to the mustard forum stuff, that was like three years ago at this stage. Appalling behaviour by some people, yet punishment for all.

The part in bold is just hilarious tbh. And the poker forum does deal very effectively with troublemakers - shills, trolls and DBC alike. The mods on the whole do a great job, and the majority of users are sensible and reasoned in their posting, and rarely overstep the mark.

Why are we not getting the old thread back - is it a punishment or is there another reason for not returning it.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement