Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Gay Bar for Kilkenny

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭ChristIsMurph

I was there at 1am. Really wasn't that many people there. I have no problem with it, I'm just saying in comparison to places like Amber Blacks or Left Bank when they opened

• Registered Users Posts: 1,461 ✭✭✭Musicman2000

Give it time it’s only open a few days, but im my own opinion, it’s in a bad location if It was on the john st strip, im sure it would have being packed

• Registered Users Posts: 2,429 ✭✭✭brettmirl

How is it in a bad location?

It's surrounded by other bars?

I would say the problem is that a lot of people still think its a stripper bar, plus did Dignity do any advertising locally to say it was opening?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,129 ✭✭✭Nightwish

I've heard ads on the radio a few times a day every day for the past few weeks and the bar has been given quite a bit of coverage in the local papers too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,477 ✭✭✭✭Raze_them_all

mick_irl wrote: »
    How is it in a bad location?

It's surrounded by other bars?

I would say the problem is that a lot of people still think its a stripper bar, plus did Dignity do any advertising locally to say it was opening?
    It's between the pumphouse and anna conda's isn it? Lets be honest there clientel aren't going to pop in anyway soon and I'll freely admit of being of the same type, I dont mind what they do, but i wont be putting myself in a place to see it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 603 ✭✭✭BeatNikDub

It's between the pumphouse and anna conda's isn it? Lets be honest there clientel aren't going to pop in anyway soon and I'll freely admit of being of the same type, I dont mind what they do, but i wont be putting myself in a place to see it.

So everyone that drinks in Irishtown are homophobic just like you?

PLEASE don't tar us all with the same closed mind thanks!

Me and my (straight) friends all went in on Saturday night from Cleere's and had a great laugh. I dont live in Kilkenny anymore but liked the fact it didnt take itself so seriously and was somewhere where anything goes.

Fair play indeed!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,313 ✭✭✭fabbydabby

Does not wanting to be seen in a gay bar in a small town automatically make you homophobic?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,092 ✭✭✭catbear

fabbydabby wrote: »
    Does not wanting to be seen in a gay bar in a small town automatically make you homophobic?
    is there another reason anyone would be not want to be seen in a gay bar in a small town?
    perhaps fear of what other people think, but then what's that?
    a life lived in fear?

Not so much a fear of what other people think, so much as a fear of having to use ones face to absorb the impact of a boot/ knife/ tyre iron etc.

You know what hicks are like.

You know what hicks are like.
    i hear you. a lot of that out there. fear anything different.
    i know a guy who still won't wear sunglasses because because he thinks he'll look stupid.

• Advertisement

Actually one of my closest friends is a lesbian.

Dont go saying **** you have no idea about.

Actually one of my closest friends is a lesbian.

Dont go saying **** you have no idea about.
    spreading the love, spreading the fear?
    you might not know **** about the people that fabbydaddy has to deal with in everyday life.
    as he imparted in his next post, his is not the fear of homosexuality but of the people who fear homosexuality.
    i share his fear, and i strive to keep open to my fears rather than shut them off somewhere to the back of my mind where their power will fester and reemerge through ignorance and bigotry.
    you may not like or appreciate Fabbys view on this point, but dignified responses achieve more to tackle that fear.

On the contrary Raze, I have seen many people bullied and one person have the sh!t kicked out of him in this town for being gay (I don't even know if the guy WAS gay anyway), so I think you'll find that I DO have an idea what I am talking about, thanks very much. Ask your lesbo friend if she ever got abuse over her sexuality.

Do you even need to?

My point is that I do not wish to suffer the same fate, to be tarred with the gay brush, especially since I am a raging hetrosexual, so i'll be keeping away from the place. I do not think that this makes me a homophobe, but beg to differ if you will..

On the contrary Raze, I have seen many people bullied and one person have the sh!t kicked out of him in this town for being gay (I don't even know if the guy WAS gay anyway), so I think you'll find that I DO have an idea what I am talking about, thanks very much. Ask your lesbo friend if she ever got abuse over her sexuality.

Do you even need to?

My point is that I do not wish to suffer the same fate, to be tarred with the gay brush, especially since I am a raging hetrosexual, so i'll be keeping away from the place. I do not think that this makes me a homophobe, but beg to differ if you will..
    bahahahah shizz i quoted the wrong post i meant to quote the one calling me a homophobe *face palm*
    I blame the heat!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,788 ✭✭✭ztoical

tarred with the gay brush? for fu*cks sake.

Sorry honey but you are a homophobe, maybe not in the kicking the crap out of someone for thinking they are gay homophobe but one none the less. If your happy and comfortable with your sexuality you wouldn't need to confirm it with your "raging hetrosexual" comment. My cousin is the straights bloke there is, played rugby for Munster, lovely girlfriend, very macho and he goes drinking in Dignity in Waterford cus and I quote "it's a damn nice pub" Now I know there are **** out there who will resort to violence over "the gays", I've had friends end up in hospital and one end up in the morgue but we are never going to get passed that if people keep this attitude of I won't be seen near gay bar/club/people for fear of guilt by association - it's a horrible circle that will just keep going if people don't cop the F on.

Using expressions like "lesbo" and such is insulting and discriminating. Frankly alot of the comments in this thread have really changed my view on this town. I actually thought it was a pretty forward moving place but seems I was very much mistaken.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,880 ✭✭✭caprilicious

Best if luck to them with it, I think its exactly what the town needs, a bit of variety! :cool:

Hopefully people will get over the 'omigod I'll catch gay if I go there' and give it a chance.;)

I am very happy and comfortable with my sexuality, it's just that I am not very happy and comfortable having my teeth kicked out of my head / absorbing insults for being gay.

So if simply being afraid of being branded a 'bender' by ignorami (and suffering the consequences) in Kilkenny equates to being a homophobe, then well, I guess I am one.

But I would have thought I was more of a hickophobe, since it is THOSE people I fear..

Lesbo is an abbrv. Nothing more.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,470 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

I am very happy and comfortable with my sexuality, it's just that I am not very happy and comfortable having my teeth kicked out of my head / absorbing insults for being gay.

So if simply being afraid of being branded a 'bender' by ignorami (and suffering the consequences) in Kilkenny equates to being a homophobe, then well, I guess I am one.

But I would have thought I was more of a hickophobe, since it is THOSE people I fear..

Yet your reinforcing homophobia by saying you won't visit the place because your scared you'll be labeled as gay, you are actually part of this problem.

People that are actually comfortable with their sexuality won't care if they are seen in a gay bar because it doesn't matter if they are or are not seen there, at the end of the day people that are gay are just that people....they are no different to any other people in this world.

They still eat, sleep and live like anyone else, as such being seen with them shouldn't be a problem

or maybe Fabby you just have to put some distance between yourself and the hicks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 131 ✭✭Purry Cat

Is there any evidence that going to a gay bar in Parliament Street would lead to someone having their head kicked in by these roaming multitudes of ignorami and hicks you so fear (and who I for one have never seen in Kilkenny)? Or are you just being precious?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 762 ✭✭✭Threadhead

I dropped in there 2 nights of the weekend and I was surprised at how good it was for meeting straight girls. The place was full of straight people and they weren't just there for the music. Which incidentally, was surprisingly great and way less gay than any music in Amber Blacks. Anyone who has a fear of going in there and getting molested by men has the seriously wrong idea.

The place gets my thumbs up. I won't be an avid goer but its miles ahead of some of the other places in town and I have to say it fit quite comfortably into Parliament Street. Found the bouncers to be a bit aggressive though and the beer garden obviously needs work but other than that, twas grand.

Threadhead wrote: »
    . Anyone who has a fear of going in there and getting molested by men has the seriously wrong idea.
    Maybe your just not good looking :P

Precious, (like yer man's dog in the silence of the lambs).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,777 ✭✭✭highgiant1985

Threadhead wrote: »
    Found the bouncers to be a bit aggressive though

how so?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,788 ✭✭✭ztoical

Purry Cat wrote: »
    Is there any evidence that going to a gay bar in Parliament Street would lead to someone having their head kicked in by these roaming multitudes of ignorami and hicks you so fear (and who I for one have never seen in Kilkenny)? Or are you just being precious?

+ 1 - Is Kilkenny really so backward and red neck compared to Waterford or Cork? Seriously are there news reports of people getting their heads kicked in after leaving dignity in Waterford on a nightly basis?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43 mother_rucker

Oh wow so there's a gay bar in Kilkenny, big f***ing deal
    Honestly, I don't know which posts are worse, the ones that are abjectly hostile to dignity and its clientele or the ones that try so hard to be PC that their heads pop out the other side of their holes.
    Seriously, it's just another bar,poofs or no, get over it

• Registered Users Posts: 265 ✭✭dewdrop

For such a lovely city is there anything else at all happening other than posts about a gay bar???

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,470 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

ztoical wrote: »
    + 1 - Is Kilkenny really so backward and red neck compared to Waterford or Cork? Seriously are there news reports of people getting their heads kicked in after leaving dignity in Waterford on a nightly basis?

Nope there are no such news stories, saying you'll get your head kicked in is pure hysteria

fair enough, i must have imagined it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,255 ✭✭✭getz

dont knock the gay bars ,in the UK the [pink] pound ,is very important in manchester one street is full of gay bars and gay clubs, every year there is a gay carnival,visitors from all over the world come to canal street to drink in the bars, its the same in blackpool the club;[ funny girls; ] is packed out at weekends mostly with femails ,none of them gay ,just going to see the shows,usualy dragging thier reluctant partners with them

Advertisement