Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Love

Options
  • 02-06-2009 2:13pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 95 ✭✭

do you believe in it?
    or do u just think u have settled with someone so not to be alone

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,111 ✭✭✭tba

You need to define what you think love is, before you can decide if you believe in it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,112 ✭✭✭Blowfish

If you are happy, does it really matter either way?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 95 ✭✭hopeful_girl

sorry i didnt explain that very well.

i mean, to be ''in love.''

i can see how you can love friends, family, a boyfriend, girlfriend.

but now i ive started to think the being in love thing is more of an infactuation process

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,821 ✭✭✭RxQueen

it would be quite sad just to settle for someone ,just so you wouldnt be alone... also very unfair on the other person to who might have actual feelings for you.. why should he/she settle with someone who doesnt love them??

Hell I'm not afraid to be alone.. can always purchase some cats and live the dream! :P

emo!! wrote: »
    it would be quite sad just to settle for someone ,just so you wouldnt be alone... also very unfair on the other person to who might have actual feelings for you.. why should he/she settle with someone who doesnt love them??

Hell I'm not afraid to be alone.. can always purchase some cats and live the dream! :P
    but like what are your thoughts on love?
    do u think people just stay together not to be alone?
    or is there some love thing going onn?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,072 ✭✭✭SeekUp

Of course people stay together not to be alone. I'd say it happens a fair bit.

I believe in love . . . as well as lust and infatuation, and I don't think they're always mutually exclusive.

I'm not sure how to define being in love, and even if I were to define it, I'd guess that my definition wouldn't work for everyone. But I feel it.

In fact, I don't think there are nearly enough love things goin' on . . .

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,108 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Good question alright.

It really depends on the individuals and the couple involved IMHO. I would say speaking personally and from what I've seen, that long term deep love and affection, friendship and sexual attraction between couples is rarer than some may think. I think it's rarer than the movies etc make out too. Most movies like fairy tales stop at the bit where people walk off into the sunset to live happily ever after. That's when the real work starts. The mad rush of chemical, "in love" stuff is pretty easy to sustain TBH. High male/female compatibility is rarer.

I think a fair few do settle. Men and women, but more women in my experience. I've known women marry guys in their 30's that they wouldn't have looked at twice in their 20's and I don't just mean they mature either(though that can be the case). It's harder for women to be single as they age anyway so that can be a lot of it. Bachelor has a pretty cool ring to it, spinster defo doesn't.

If you look at divorce rates where divorce is "easy", then 50% is not that unusual(IIR sweden is up to 70%). OK that means the other 50% are staying together, but I know couples who are together and not healthy or content. So I would say even in that 50% there are a fair few if they had their time to live over would not be where they are today. I've had people, both men and women, tell me just that. Kinda sad to hear that one.

Now it does exist IMHO and I know couples like that who are amazingly good for each other, but I would say it's the minority, especially nowadays, especially in the very long term beyond 4/5 years. I think for previous generations it was easier in many ways. Less expectation, less temptation too and more social brakes on people wanting to trade in or up(bad thing too of course).

Of the really good couples I know I've noticed some broad similarities. Number 1 they're actually good friends. Best mate kinda thing. A biggy. That can even survive affairs. They give each other emotional space, but are rarely out of some form of daily contact when apart. They're not grass is greener types. They tend not to be emotionally impulsive. A helluva lot of them are first big loves(sometimes with a big gap where they split and then have a second run at it). I don't mean teenage type first loves. They're usually the first truly adult major loves in the mid 20's kinda thing. I can only think of one where they had a lot of partners before. Maybe the grass is greener syndrome is stronger in those? They're emotionally stable and are intellectually equal. There's usually one who is more of the driving seat though.

Now doubtless some will fire back with how they are a great and "perfect" couple(then again when you're in love you always think that:)), but if your relationship is under 3 odd years, I may respect your opinion and say fair play, but I personally would not use it as a yardstick. Get back to me after 10 years together and tell me then.

My 2 cents anyway. Again personally I would rather be single than settle for second best. I really would. I can think of nothing more soul destroying TBH.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,821 ✭✭✭RxQueen

like i said i have no fears in being alone at all.. and certainly wouldnt go with someone from fear of being left on the shelf, so to speak.

Im with somebody.. if i didnt feel anything for him , id leave him go , cause it wouldnt be fair on him.. and yeah he is on boards to so dont want to embrass him :P , but i wouldnt be with him if i felt nothing for him , that would be unfair on both out us

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,108 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

There's also the kind of strong deep love that just happens to have a time limit. That can happen, where two people are really good together and for each other, just that it only lasts 2 years or 6. Then they grow apart, but it doesn't negate what they felt and how they affected each other lives in a healthy way while they were together. I would certainly say that of some of my exes anyway. I wouldn't want to be with them now, but I would not trade the time I was with them.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,072 ✭✭✭SeekUp

Settling because you're afraid to be alone is one thing -- but I think that realizing your ideal relationship may not materialize is something different entirely. Many people chase this idea of love and end up disappointed that it isn't how they imagined. In the meantime, they may have missed out on perfectly good, non-fairy-tale situations.

I mean, some relationships work even though the people aren't in love with each other. Maybe the other person they find themselves with isn't as attractive/successful/charming/whatever as they'd hoped - or seen in the movies - but at the end of the day, each person involved sees the other as a comfort, a friend, an equal. They may not be in love, but they do care for each other, and both parties can be content with that situation.

Certainly relationships cover the spectrum, and I'm not exactly an advocate for settling, but sometimes it wouldn't seem like the worst thing in the world . . .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,739 ✭✭✭✭minidazzler

I think people mistake lust for love for too long and then they feel they have put too much into the relationship to end it then.

My Parents I can be pretty sure, really Love eachother, but there are very few other couples I can say the same about.

I have friends who say they are in Love with their OH's, but as an outside observer I see it as more of a Lust mixed with want combination that has them stay together.

What I don't understand is how people can be so Naive to think
    A) They have 1 true love.
    B) They are going to find that 1 true love by living in the same place going to the same clubs and pubs for however long it takes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,879 ✭✭✭Kya1976

Personally I think too many people do settle and stay with someone just because they are scared to be on their own or just scared to leave the relationship/ and all the commitments that comes with it.

But I do believe in love, I have been in love myself.
    I'd be more than happy to live on my own for the rest of my life though, I like my own company and having a 'life partner' is not essential for me to be happy....
    The older I get the pickier I get....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

I think there are some situations where people let relationships go by in their, say, twenties that they wouldn't let go by when they're older. You can meet somebody you do love, but you may want to travel, sexually experiment, or just simply want to see if something better might be coming.

I think at a certain age, you've experienced a lot more, or know better what you want and settle for it. I don't think that's a case of not loving, or settling for anybody, more a question of being better able to know what you want.

I also agree that the companionship and stability of later love is just as attractive as the passionate, overwhelming side.

people have really interesting opinions.

out of interest.

anyone who replied... are you in love?
    you think?

to be a tad cliched, truelly, madly, deeply?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 7,458 Mod ✭✭✭✭CathyMoran

I am truely, madly, deeply in love with my husband - I did not "settle" for him, we have been through horrible times together as well as great ones, have grown up together and are best friends as well as me fancying him to bits...we have been together for 11.5 years so far (though we first knowingly met two years before that), so it is not just a flash in the pan...he is my soulmate.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,331 ✭✭✭✭bronte

I definitely think that it exists.
    I don't fall in love very often, but when I do it's incredible.
    I have never 'settled' just because I felt safe.
    I couldn't stay with someone if I wasn't head over heels about them.
    I seem to just be lucky that it comes into my life whenever it's meant to :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,497 ✭✭✭✭Dragan

i mean, to be ''in love.''

Yeah, but different people have different idea's of being in love or even what love is.

If you think that love is a small thing, it will be a small thing. I know people who fall in and out of love as easily as the day begins and ends.

Personally love is a fire, something that warms you and inspires you from the center of your being, something that drives you to make a better life, to be a better person, to challenge yourself and your lover and to grow and experience things together.

And yes, i believe in it.:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,073 ✭✭✭sam34

Wibbs wrote: »
    There's also the kind of strong deep love that just happens to have a time limit. That can happen, where two people are really good together and for each other, just that it only lasts 2 years or 6. Then they grow apart, but it doesn't negate what they felt and how they affected each other lives in a healthy way while they were together. I would certainly say that of some of my exes anyway. I wouldn't want to be with them now, but I would not trade the time I was with them.

this is exactly how i feel about one of my ex's... we were together for 4 years and they were 4 wonderful years. i have no doubt whatsoever that we were both very much in love with each other.

it ended because, well, it just did, kinda fizzled out. no drama, no big fight, no heartache, just found ourselves in the friend zone rather than anything else.

thats not to say we both werent devastated when we formally called time on it, there was deffo a mourning period. (having said that, i think we're prob on record for having had teh most amicable break-up ever... after the hugging and crying bit in my house, we went for dinner, and the next day we met up and went for a spin to west cork )

he is now one of my closest friends, and it's been 5 yrs since we broke up. i have no interest in getting back with him, nor he with me, but we have a very happy friendship and a great deal of respect for the other.

Dragan wrote: »
    Personally love is a fire, something that warms you and inspires you from the center of your being, something that drives you to make a better life, to be a better person, to challenge yourself and your lover and to grow and experience things together.

Spoken like a man currently in it. :)

sam34 wrote: »
    this is exactly how i feel about one of my ex's... we were together for 4 years and they were 4 wonderful years. i have no doubt whatsoever that we were both very much in love with each other.

it ended because, well, it just did, kinda fizzled out. no drama, no big fight, no heartache, just found ourselves in the friend zone rather than anything else.
    There is one theory that humans have in general a 4 year reproductive cycle and beyond that something takes over in some. There seems to be a fair whack of brain chemistry evidence that supports that. The initial run of it looks like a "madness" or an addiction symptoms wise. There may even be in the distant future a "cure" for love heartache.

I would agree for the most part. Looking around I would say the love affair only lasts that long anyway. I would reckon a majority of relationships go bang or fizzle out at between the 2 and 4 year mark. Faster if they're living together and slower if they see each other less. Codependence, fear of being alone, even shared hardships and from that sometimes lasting love keeps the rest together. I would also have said that those couples that did get to the place I would want to be in had one major external and sometimes internal stress. Now whether that just means they were "meant to be" or it's a long term bonding thing or a little from column A and a little from column B.

So in the end yes I believe it exists. I don't think for the majority it's "forever" and most relationships of all sorts split up. Even good or great ones can. Depending on time of life and expectations others continue with varying degrees of success. I would say that I personally may have stayed with maybe three women pretty successfully if I or they had been at different stages in our own lives. Hard to say though. The rare few keep that bond very strong. Not as strong as at the start. Lets face it that would be wearing and you could put your back out :D Not as hyper but still strong in another way.

I think we know deep down it is quite rare. Our media and culture may represent that by holding up examples of "perfect lasting love/the one" as something to aim for, or take refuge in if one doesn't have it or hasn't found it yet. I reckon that's why those ideas that seem illogical have that hold on us.

• Advertisement

CathyMoran wrote: »
    I am truely, madly, deeply in love with my husband - I did not "settle" for him, we have been through horrible times together as well as great ones, have grown up together and are best friends as well as me fancying him to bits...we have been together for 11.5 years so far (though we first knowingly met two years before that), so it is not just a flash in the pan...he is my soulmate.
    thats really sweet.

people have really interesting opinions.

out of interest.

anyone who replied... are you in love?
    you think?

to be a tad cliched, truelly, madly, deeply?
    Yep I have been in the past. Twice. Truly loved them. Their happiness was added as an equal to mine. Indeed if my happiness stood in the way of theirs, I would have stepped back and let them go. I did exactly that in fact with the first one. Hurt like hell. Among the worst emotional pain I've felt. I don't regret it though.

Wibbs wrote: »
    Yep I have been in the past. Twice. Truly loved them. Their happiness was added as an equal to mine. Indeed if my happiness stood in the way of theirs, I would have stepped back and let them go. I did exactly that in fact with the first one. Hurt like hell. Among the worst emotional pain I've felt. I don't regret it though.
    whats your view on soul mates?

(if its not too bold to ask)

I would put that definition on anyone who has affected my life in a lasting positive way. That would include mates too. In the romantic sense, yes the women I loved were soulmates too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

More like Cruelly, Madly, Deeply.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 7,458 Mod ✭✭✭✭CathyMoran

whats your view on soul mates?

(if its not too bold to ask)
    My view on being a soul mate is that you are the other "half" of the person, you are best friends and have a bond that goes beyond words...note, it can be platonic...it has happened to me twice, once with my husband and once is a close relative.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 570 ✭✭✭Salome

It's a very interesting thread - I read it earlier but wanted to consider my answer before I posted so here goes...

I think movies/music/media have always given the impression of "The One" who is your soulmate who you love unconditionally with a passion never felt before. Now that is total horse-manure in my experience. I have fallen for men, I was madly in love and was blinded by passion and mutual adoration. I felt the thunderbolt etc and thought this was my "One" on more than one occasion. The last thunderbolt I felt left me heartbroken, literally. I was totally devastated when I ended it but the relationship could never be what I needed it to be, for many reasons. I thought I'd never have that feeling again.

Then, 3 months later, I met my OH. There was no thunderbolt but I felt something else - someone strong, loving, someone real. I wondered was I settling at the time - the reality is that he was so different to anyone else I had been with, I didn't know a decent, loving, wonderful, adoring man when I saw it as I had been "programmed" by rom-coms to expect to be swept off my feet by someone totally unique. In real life, love, real warm love, feels so different.

We're together over two years now - we could be in the honeymoon period as Wibbs suggests but I don't think so - it's a real partnership and a meeting of minds. I couldn't be happier. I certainly never was as happy before - I just thought I was.

from what i see around me the love just fades.

with the except of one aunt and her husband.

its like a bussness deal of strange sorts.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,000 ✭✭✭spinandscribble

Dragan wrote: »
    Yeah, but different people have different idea's of being in love or even what love is.

If you think that love is a small thing, it will be a small thing. I know people who fall in and out of love as easily as the day begins and ends.

+1 from me, i can never seem to sum up how i feel love is without sounding corny but you sir have managed it, kudos.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 7,920 Mod ✭✭✭✭cee_jay

I Was at a friend's wedding this weekend though, and I thought what the bride's father said made a lot of sense - "Love is not a thunderbolt out of the sky, its realising you cannot spend the rest of your life without this person".
    Personally, I don't know how that feels but it makes a lot of sense I suppose.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement