Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Aviation & Aircraft Photo Gallery *No Discussion*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,348 ✭✭✭vulcan57

Love the F-16. I presume that was on the USS Intrepid somewhere I want to go some day. Well done and thanks for sharing.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,549 ✭✭✭*Kol*

A few more from the phone. Air to air refueling rig on a B707.

IMG00644.jpg

IMG00645.jpg

Shannon from the air

IMG00607.jpg

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 7,654 Mod ✭✭✭✭delly

Managed to find a spot to take a pic of Concorde at CDG.

img2859xxxxx.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,266 ✭✭✭Steyr

Nicely done delly.:)

Not one of mine, this. My niece, who lives in London was invited onto HMS Illustrious on friday night while moored at Greenwich for the 100 years of naval flight. She took this on her phone and sent me this by picture message. I have tidied it up best I could, but still appologise for the quality, but it might be of interest to someone anyway. For those that don't know they are a couple of RN Merlins in the setting sun.

Image0017a.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 9,735 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tenger

vulcan57 wrote: »
    ............... My niece, who lives in London was invited onto HMS Illustrious on friday night while moored at Greenwich for the 100 years of naval flight. ..............

I was in London yesterday........would have gone to Greenwich if I had of known it was there!!

Incidently got to see 3 A380 in and around LHR yesterday,one from each operator!

On Sunday 10th I saw 3 A380 at LHR-
    SQ on stand 595 at approx 0920.
    EK in front of us on approach to 9L at approx 1120.
    QF taking off as we drove along the A4 into the city at approx 1210.

The SQ photo was muck so have subbed one I got early on Monday 11th.

Pics of the A380s at LHR:

SQ-
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/tearbringer/3522839471/

EK-
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/tearbringer/3522805751/
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/tearbringer/3523623846/in/photostream
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/tearbringer/3522826313/in/photostream/

QF-
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/tearbringer/3522831879/

Here is Baldonnel from the air:
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/tearbringer/3523572728/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 332 ✭✭FOGOFUNK

That third pic of EK really shows off the huge size of the vertical stab. insane!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,321 ✭✭✭Foggy43

You wern't heading to High Street Kensington?

I have noticed that the next aircraft to land after an A380 is usually 3 minutes behind. Possibly a gap of 9 miles? Maybe your coleauges on the flight deck maybe able to answer that. All aircraft do 160 knots to 4 miles DME. After that the speed depends on the aircraft status. Usually the gap is 65 seconds minumum between aircraft.

ATC still issue possible turbulence warnings to aircraft behind A380's.

That is by far the best airborne pic i have seen of Baldonnel for ages, well done, i can make out a cessna by the CASA/GOVT Hanger, what looks like 3 aw139's and the GASU PBN Defender and the GASU EC135 and 2 PC9M's

If im right the land to the Right of the GOVT/CASA Hanger's is on the Air Corps Property thats the land thats parallel to 11/29 ( two cut fields ) all of that could be well used for expansion of the Ramp area as its absolutely tiny, you could possibly build it as an extra ramp with access via the Taxiway to 11/29.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,939 ✭✭✭pclancy

Foggy43 wrote: »
    You wern't heading to High Street Kensington?

I have noticed that the next aircraft to land after an A380 is usually 3 minutes behind. Possibly a gap of 9 miles? Maybe your coleauges on the flight deck maybe able to answer that. All aircraft do 160 knots to 4 miles DME. After that the speed depends on the aircraft status. Usually the gap is 65 seconds minumum between aircraft.

ATC still issue possible turbulence warnings to aircraft behind A380's.

Yeah i've read somewhere that spacing is 9 miles for the A380s due to wake turbulance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 689 ✭✭✭alpha2zulu

Bramble wrote: »
    I was in London yesterday........would have gone to Greenwich if I had of known it was there!!

+1:(

Heres a couple of quick phone shots inbound to 09L at LHR from Sundays EI710 and pics of T5 from the take off queue for 09R on return EI723 on Monday evening. Good to see that both flights had loads around 85-90%

• Registered Users Posts: 289 ✭✭GeturGun

Those pics are great!!!!!!
    Especially the head-on one of the A380. So big and imposing!! It’s almost like it’s staring down your - comparatively tiny - A320/1 :D

Some of my friends are going with SQ on the A380 to Oz in Oct. So jealous !

Steyr wrote: »
    ............i can make out a cessna by the CASA/GOVT Hanger, what looks like 3 aw139's and the GASU PBN Defender and the GASU EC135 and 2 PC9M's

Heres a zoomed image:
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/tearbringer/3524792577/

And I was indeed heading to Kensington when the QF A380 went over us!

Heres a zoomed image:
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/tearbringer/3524792577/

And I was indeed heading to Kensington when the QF A380 went over us!

How right was i about what was on the Ramp!:eek::D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 296 ✭✭triv88

from dailymail http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-1180613/Caught-camera-Stealth-bomber-builds-steam-approaches-sound-barrier.html
    article-1180613-04E4DAEE000005DC-289_634x439.jpg
    A B-2 Spirit bomber breaks the sound barrier during a flight over California. The blur is a type of condensation cloud that can occur close to the speed of sound barrier

article-1180613-0044B33300000258-502_634x417.jpg

triv88 wrote: »
    from dailymail http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-1180613/Caught-camera-Stealth-bomber-builds-steam-approaches-sound-barrier.html
    article-1180613-04E4DAEE000005DC-289_634x439.jpg
    A B-2 Spirit bomber breaks the sound barrier during a flight over California. The blur is a type of condensation cloud that can occur close to the speed of sound barrier

article-1180613-0044B33300000258-502_634x417.jpg

Not trying to split hairs here but this is a sub-sonic aircraft and only has a max speed of Mach 0.95. Maybe at max speed you would start to get some of these effects.

• Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭ScabbyLeg

vulcan57 wrote: »
    Not trying to split hairs here but this is a sub-sonic aircraft and only has a max speed of Mach 0.95. Maybe at max speed you would start to get some of these effects.

Ordinarily you will get some of these effect at around 0.6M or so. Features like a swept wing delay the buildup of shockwaves to a higher Mach no.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 332 ✭✭FOGOFUNK

Go on vulcan! with a name like that lay the smack down on them subsonic bombers!

ScabbyLeg wrote: »
    Ordinarily you will get some of these effect at around 0.6M or so. Features like a swept wing delay the buildup of shockwaves to a higher Mach no.

I remember reading that the X-1 project encountered this 'buffetting' when they approached Mach 1. They originally thought this meant that the sound barrier couldn't be broken.

Amazing pic of the B-2. I have a poster of a F/A-18 breaking the sound barrier,not that the wife lets me put it up!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,321 ✭✭✭Foggy43

Thankyou for the close up!
    Brings back some memories! Just a little to the right of centre is a small building we used waiting on the SF260WE's to return. To the right of this there is an aircraft on tow, there is a small building where the pilots did their training. BFTS it was called.

Maybe things have changed. I am going back to 1984. Is the 'hostel' still there?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,700 ✭✭✭tricky D

I remember reading that the X-1 project encountered this 'buffetting' when they approached Mach 1. They originally thought this meant that the sound barrier couldn't be broken.

Wierd things happen at transonic speeds. Some of the airflow will be subsonic, but some some supersonic like airflow above the wing resulting in strange instabilities and behaviours kicking in. The B2's 0.95 mach speed is well within the trans range.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,492 ✭✭✭Killinator

From Shannon on Tuesday:

Still as much a US air force base as ever with 2 Omni DC10's and a Hercules to the left:
    DSC01195.jpg
    DSC01196.jpg
    DSC01198.jpg
    DSC01199.jpg
    DSC01200.jpg
    DSC01201.jpg
    DSC01204.jpg
    DSC01206.jpg
    DSC01207.jpg
    DSC01211.jpg
    DSC01236.jpg
    DSC01240.jpg
    DSC01242.jpg
    DSC01223.jpg
    DSC01231.jpg

DSC01224.jpg
    DSC01234.jpg
    DSC01248.jpg
    DSC01214.jpg
    DSC01215.jpg
    DSC01218.jpg
    DSC01245.jpg

Your getting very good very quick Killinator, a good tip is to zoom in and slightly click the shutter button to take a picture but dont take it and you will find ( works on most cameras ) that the camera will autofocus the object your about to shoot then click to take a snap and it should turn out well, also would be a good idea to zoom in as much as you dare to center what your shooting this avoids unwanted objects such as fences and bloody barb wire at EINN which i bloody hate!! I know its a necessary evil to keep out hippies though:pac:

Killinator wrote: »
    DSC01236.jpg

Brilliant shot!:)

Cheers for the advice, I generally try to center most shots but often get caught with zoom and how fast the a/c is actually travelling,
    that said sometimes I prefer shots that aren't centered like the last A330 shot, I just think it looks better un-centered

And yes that barbed wire is a nightmare, in certain spots its like they put extra messy wire up just to hamper photographers:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,466 ✭✭✭highlydebased

Killinator wrote: »
    Cheers for the advice, I generally try to center most shots but often get caught with zoom and how fast the a/c is actually travelling,
    that said sometimes I prefer shots that aren't centered like the last A330 shot, I just think it looks better un-centered

And yes that barbed wire is a nightmare, in certain spots its like they put extra messy wire up just to hamper photographers:rolleyes:

What camera are you using? SLR or otherwise? I've had my SLR ages, but with anything else its best to focus BEFORE you take the shot, i.e semi depress button and pan with the aircraft before you shoot

YEEHAH!!!! This Thread FINALLY got 5 Gold Stars!! About time!:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,939 ✭✭✭pclancy

Lol. Congratulations Mr Thread :)

Advertisement