Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish Aid looking for Junior Professional Interns

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 sailer

Great news! finally! cheers!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,731 ✭✭✭DadaKopf

Yeah, I got one. Does anyone know if doing the IA internship is worth it? You go in and emerge one year later, with what? Actual career advancement or what? I know a few people who did it and, in terms of advancing an NGDO or public service career, I'm not sure what the real advantages are in relation to the work you actually do, if you're at a certain level.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,424 ✭✭✭embraer170

Heard nothing. Oh well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 sailer

I got called for the 1st round interviews also, 2nd round interviews are in March! another 6 weeks away!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26 A. Carruthers

Is there any significance to the Irish Aid office being decentralised to Limerick? Are the government trying to tell us something? That an internship in Limerick would be a fine training ground for future third world postings? yikes

• Advertisement

Ha, it's most likely because the constituency office of the current aid minister, Peter Power, is across the road from the Irish Aid office!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26 A. Carruthers

Chrisht what kind of banana republic are we living in at all. Is that seriously the basis for moving the office down there? Correct me if Im wrong but arent the majority of the Irish NGO's situated in Dublin? Meaning that for any face to face meeting with the Irish Aid department (which I assume happens on a regular basis) they have to travel all the way down to Limerick thus wasting half the day? If (When) Fianna Fail lose the next election will it be moved to Meath or somewhere?

Anyone know what the story is?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,756 ✭✭✭vector

cringe... I was talking to a girl (in real life) that applied for this, and I remembered hearing about it on boards... snooty dentists daughter with an accent and the right connections... and in fairness who else could afford to not to earn anything for 18 months? end of rant

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,288 ✭✭✭pow wow

vector wrote: »
    cringe... I was talking to a girl (in real life) that applied for this, and I remembered hearing about it on boards... snooty dentists daughter with an accent and the right connections... and in fairness who else could afford to not to earn anything for 18 months? end of rant

An earlier poster said they were paying 36k a year which might keep her in standards relatively similar to the ones she enjoys now. Anyone else had any news? I see DFA don't seem to be hiring the CRU interns this year....there goes my MA :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

Vector wrote:
    Thanks for the insulting description of people working in global development.

I was just wondering if anyone had heard what is the current situations with these positions. I know that references have been checked, but who knows what's slowing down the process?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 petal256

Seems applications for this are open again:

http://www.irishaid.gov.ie/about_internships.asp

• Registered Users Posts: 8 Tervuren3080

Anyone know what an interview with DFA is like? Such as the style and questions they might ask?

Advertisement