Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish Aid looking for Junior Professional Interns

• 10-11-2008 2:45pm
    Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,475 Mod ✭✭✭✭

I see the public service is recruiting again. Well, it's looking for people to work in Irish Aid. http://www.irishaid.gov.ie/about_recruitment.asp

Seeing as a lot of people here seem to have experience applying to these people I'm wondering if you could answer a quick question of mine;
    I'm currently doing an MA, which I feel I'd need to get this position, and so won't be available to work until next summer. But given what I've read on these boards it seems from the closing date to the work start date there is a hell of a lot time to kill between. So I might actually get my course finished before they want me. Depends on whether or not they have 1st round, 2nd round etc. I suppose.
    I might just apply for the experience of applying anyway.
    Anyone have any ideas?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,288 ✭✭✭pow wow

Nice one for keeping it quiet like I was and cutting down on the potential competition :( The JPIs are different to regular jobs, I shouldn't think there'll be a large panel (if one at all) and not as much waiting.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,416 ✭✭✭embraer170

Anyone know the 'stipend to cover living expenses is'.... an 18-month traineeship with no proper pay for junior profs. is bordering on the ridiculous unless people who take it seriously can hope for a job at the end?

embraer170 wrote: »
    Anyone know the 'stipend to cover living expenses is'.... an 18-month traineeship with no proper pay for junior profs. is bordering on the ridiculous unless people who take it seriously can hope for a job at the end?

I presume living expenses includes rent etc. I was thinking along the lines of the kind of stipend you'd get doing a PhD which is usually at least (and hopefully a lot more than!) 1k a month. I didn't think they gave you enough info on the website to be making a decision.

€1k would be the minimum I'd expect (what most sub-6 month traineeships pay in the EU institutional/lobbying circle)
    ellscurr wrote: »
    Nice one for keeping it quiet like I was and cutting down on the potential competition :( The JPIs are different to regular jobs, I shouldn't think there'll be a large panel (if one at all) and not as much waiting.

Considering it was in Friday's Irish times and has made at least one foreign public affairs jobsite/mailing list......

embraer170 wrote: »

Considering it was in Friday's Irish times and has made at least one foreign public affairs jobsite/mailing list......

Apologies for making an anything other than serious remark.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,475 Mod ✭✭✭✭dory

Thanks for info guys, guess there's no point in me applying so. :(
    If anyone who is applying could keep us informed on how the application process went etc that would be really cool. Helpful for next time round.

Ok, lol and sorry ellscurr...

so no one has any proper figure re what the allowance is?

No idea about money, but maybe send them an email? I sent one about the start date and they got back to me the next day. It's early in the new year for anyone interested.

I'm going to pass for now, already got my plate full of unpaid work that's meant to beef up my CV :rolleyes: Will be interesting to hear how anyone who does apply gets on though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,835 ✭✭✭Schuhart

The Irish Aid JPIs will be based initially either at the Department of Foreign Affairs in Limerick (and possibly later in the field) and will have a unique opportunity to work closely with, and learn from, the staff of the Government’s aid programme.
    I'm probably slow, but I don't flow the bit in bold. Initially based either at the Department in Limerick or what?

• Advertisement

Doesn't make sense at all! I presume it means you're going to Limerick, but anyone who reads it fast might think Limerick is only a possibility. Trying to trick people into moving to Limerick I'd say!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,835 ✭✭✭Schuhart

I emailed them about it yesterday - they confirmed that interns will be based in Limerick, and have changed the notice accordingly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 Flynn205

hey guys, this is pretty crazy. 18 months-no pay! in enough debt already post college. what type of 'expenses' could you expect and is this normal?! sorry new to the world of internships.

ANyway i've emailed them for more info.

anyone got any more info from Irish Aid?
    I've heard nothing back

Any out there who has done this programme in the past? INformation would be much appreciated because they are giving very little!!

They pay 36k/year.

Really would be keen to know about the substance of the prog though.

36k really?

Sounds good. I'm applying... Thanks for that

36k is more than the HR/CR interns get in DFA, but then they are trying to attract people with a bit more experience for the JPI programme I think.

sounds like this might be pretty competitive so. that's a fantastic salary

• Registered Users Posts: 7,541 ✭✭✭Heisenberg.

This post has been deleted.

Has anyone got more information on this?
    I find 36k really gard to believe in this climate. What was the sourse of that info?
    Must investigate....

• Advertisement

Despite the 'junior' tag, I get the feeling they are looking for mid-career level people rather than entry level or just above. Although 36k still sounds a lot for what's meant to be an expenses only internship arrangement. To fulfil at least two of their attributes you'd most likely need to be 25+ (say postgrad and development experience beyond spending 6 months volunteering overseas or somesuch).

Competition will be insane.

The 36k is definately correct because they got back to me with that figure too. it is still under review though but can't imagine it chaging drastically

I really don't know what they are looking for and it seems too good to be true. where's the catch?!

plus the application is only 500 words so its very short. I have no experience of voluntary work unfotunately. but i have my MA and demonstrated my 'interest' in development cooperation.

good luck every1. its not on publicjobs.ie which might mean a lot of people will miss it

Flynn205 wrote: »
    its not on publicjobs.ie which might mean a lot of people will miss it

But it was in the Irish Times, Examiner, etc.

Best of luck to everyone applying.
    I didn't.........but still got an email saying 'thank you for your application'.
    Must have had my email address when from I emailed an enquiry.
    Nice to see some things never change. Good ol' public service.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 sailer

Anyone hear back yet??:confused:

sailer wrote: »

No not me anyway...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 488 ✭✭watsgone

sailer wrote: »

Anyone

No havent heard back, has anyone else heard yet?
    Its completely ridiculous to keep people waiting for 2 months after the application date!

don't know what happened above!

anyway, no have not heard yet, has anyone else? it's been 2 months, it's very unfair to keep people waiting for this long.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1 havecam

I gave them a ring: the shortlists are now being put together and they should start calling for interview next week.

Advertisement