Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Shame on Tesco - Removing Irish Brands from its Stores

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,023 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

escobar wrote: »
    Tesco has also made record profits as shown below, and charge the highest price of any Irish retailer

Bit of a wild generalisation there, don't you think?

Many retailers would have a job to beat the Spar in Listowel....:eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 283 ✭✭escobar

ejmaztec wrote: »
    Bit of a wild generalisation there, don't you think?

Many retailers would have a job to beat the Spar in Listowel....:eek:

Fair enough I meant supermarket retailer not local corner shops :cool:

Check the link it explains all :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,418 ✭✭✭Jip

The fact is that Tesco already charge more than both Superquinn and Dunnes on all branded goods. This is an indisputable fact .
    http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/...breaking45.htm

Seems easily disputable to me.

From your link link
    A total of 37 out of 83 goods had identical prices across all three stores.
    Simply saying something is fact does not make it so, fact.

Maybe try reading the links you put up, you'll look less foolish. Simply repeating posts you make do not make them valid. As for your link to the Evening Echo, Tesco make a worldwide profit, so what, what's your point ?

I'm going to be just like you and say this again, Tescos have reduced their prices in an effort to be cheaper. You're whinging about them being dearer in the survey you posted and yet seem completely oblivious to the fact they've reduced prices. What's your real problem, simply the fact that it's Tescos ?

• Registered Users Posts: 796 ✭✭✭Dellas

Bond-007 wrote: »
    That slogan is so patronising and puts me off spending a cent in the place.

Yes I agree its bordering tacky. So lets all shop in Dunnes and pay more just because they are claiming to be Irish :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,418 ✭✭✭Jip

Dellas wrote: »
    Yes I agree its bordering tacky. So lets all shop in Dunnes and pay more just because they are claiming to be Irish :rolleyes:

Their hot chicken certainly isn't !

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,736 ✭✭✭ch750536

I was warning of impending doom over 3 years ago.

End of smugness.

Is burning down Tesco's allowed now then?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

Is it 1798 all over again?

Bond-007 wrote: »
    Is it 1798 all over again?

I don't think anyone would believe that the military wing of Tesco was around then, despite what some odd-balls might believe.:eek:

ch750536 wrote: »
    I was warning of impending doom over 3 years ago.

End of smugness.

Is burning down Tesco's allowed now then?

They're all shafting us, why not burn em all down? Can I have first dibs at a SuperValu?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 283 ✭✭escobar

Jip wrote: »
    Seems easily disputable to me.

From your link link
    Simply saying something is fact does not make it so, fact.

Maybe try reading the links you put up, you'll look less foolish. Simply repeating posts you make do not make them valid. As for your link to the Evening Echo, Tesco make a worldwide profit, so what, what's your point ?

I'm going to be just like you and say this again, Tescos have reduced their prices in an effort to be cheaper. You're whinging about them being dearer in the survey you posted and yet seem completely oblivious to the fact they've reduced prices. What's your real problem, simply the fact that it's Tescos ?

[FONT=&quot]Oooh someone's a little sarky today...

I'd assume if I said grass was green you'd argue with me about that too.:(

I'm afraid I'll have to repeat myself again....:(

It is an indisputable fact that Tesco is the dearest supermarket....as much as you may not want it to be. I left a little quote for you below.....

''Tesco was the most expensive and the groceries had a price tag of €296.08.'':eek:

The profits are record profits and along with the example of the dairy gold pricing[/FONT] [FONT=&quot]
    ''On Prime Time of Thursday night, we seen Kerrygold costing 1.06 Sterling, and 1.70 Euro. That represents Tesco sticking a fat 0.50 profit over and above the profit margin taken in the North. That must be the fattest profit margin that anybody world wide can charge on a packet of butter. And the sourcing issue does not apply - the butter came from Cork !!!! ''

I think Tesco have been caught out in a lie. I really can't spell it out any more for you....

Tesco's havn't reduced prices... I wish they had..
    They have brought prices down in a few stores along the border which is of little use to me as I live in Dublin. I'm stuck with the dearest supermarket in Ireland.

[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]
    [/FONT]

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 127 ✭✭DanSolo

This is the longest thread about nothing I've ever seen.
    If you don't like buying foreign products then get back in your cave and enjoy the rat stew. If Tesco are "ripping us off" then shop somewhere else. They'll get the message, believe me.
    Won't happen.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,793 ✭✭✭✭Hagar

mike65 wrote: »
    Hagar do you shop at Carrefour for anything?
    Sometimes, but we mostly shop at the local Hyper U as it's closer.
    If we really want to buy a lot of high value stuff like spirits etc or a laptop/electronics we drive for an hour and shop in Italy. :eek::D:p

Say what you like, but I do give a fair answer to a fair question. :D

TBH honest the keyboard was the deciding factor in buying the laptop in Italy, that and the €100 price difference.

• Site Banned Posts: 5,904 ✭✭✭parsi

The Major wrote: »
    Just back from Tesco in Bailieboro , they were handing out leaflets at the entrance with the price cuts (about 70 in total) , here is a sample of some of the better ones(Euro prices).

Tesco finest howcroft estate shiraz 75cl from 13.69 to 6.84

Why couldn't they sell at that price all along ?

Tesco Ireland hardly bought Tesco wine from an Irish distributor ..

More to the point - they have these price "cuts" up North but are still screwing teh rest of us.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,432 ✭✭✭celt262

In summary are Tesco getting slated on this thread for reducing prices to try and get its customers back?

I didnt read it all and dont have the time at the moment.

celt262 wrote: »
    In summary are Tesco getting slated on this thread for reducing prices to try and get its customers back?

More or less, yeah, though happily there's a "we hate England" angle to it for the unconvinced.

parsi wrote: »

Tesco Ireland hardly bought Tesco wine from an Irish distributor ..

More to the point - they have these price "cuts" up North but are still screwing teh rest of us.
    Don't buy it. That was hard.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,736 ✭✭✭ch750536

celt262 wrote: »

*No, what you didn't read is that they plan to get prices cheaper by recycling dead people into a powder that is then used as a basis for most food products.

*May be true, read the thread to see if it is or not before posting again maybe.

ch750536 wrote: »
    *No, what you didn't read is that they plan to get prices cheaper by recycling dead people into a powder that is then used as a basis for most food products.

*May be true, read the thread to see if it is or not before posting again maybe.

No, your mixing em up with SuperValu again - "Real Food Real People"

Where'd you think the slogan comes from?:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭hellboy99

Still cheaper up north, and I'll continue to shop there.

Here's some of the new prices as of from today:
    Tesco South - Caburys Twirl 5 pk - €2.00
    Tesco North - Caburys Twirl 5 pk - £1.00 (€1.13)

Tesco South - Tesco Garden Peas 1kg - €1.79
    Tesco North - Tesco Garden Peas 1kg - £1.50 (€1.69)

Tesco South - Nestle Cheerios 600g - €3.45
    Tesco North - Nestle Cheerios 600g - £2.78 (€3.14)

Tesco South - Milupa Aptamil Follow on Milk 900g - €9.65
    Tesco North - Milupa Aptamil Follow on Milk 900g - £7.90 (€8.92)

Tesco South - Lynx Africa Bodyspray 150ml - €2.85
    Tesco North - Lynx Africa Bodyspray 150ml - £2.28 (€2.57)

Tesco South - Elvive Colour Protect Shampoo 400ml - €3.99
    Tesco North - Elvive Colour Protect Shampoo 400ml - £3.16 (€3.56)

Tesco South - Gillette Venus 4 Blades - €6.89
    Tesco North - Gillette Venus 4 Blades - £5.80 (€6.54)

Tesco South - Plenty White Kitchen Towel 2 roll - €1.99
    Tesco North - Plenty White Kitchen Towel 2 roll - £1.00 (€1.13)

• Registered Users Posts: 975 ✭✭✭newman10

Are they going to pass the price cuts to the rest of us or are those who live in remote Ireland just being screwed

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 57 ✭✭Coconut

luckat wrote: »
    I complained in my local Tesco because they didn't have Lá Breá bread - Irish-made and good bread - and it arrived back on the shelves. I don't know if it was my complaint, but I complained at the information desk, and made sure to ask them to write it in the book, and asked them to make sure the complaint (polite and nice, by the way) went up to headquarters.

If customers do that - say "Sorry, I'm not shopping here if there aren't (specific) Irish goods", they'll have an effect.

Otherwise, go to Lidl, who do buy Irish.

Agree about your policy, but FYI, LaBrea, despite the name, is in fact American. Check the address at the bottom of their homepage They are an affiliate of Cuisine de France though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭Tech3

newman10 wrote: »
    Are they going to pass the price cuts to the rest of us or are those who live in remote Ireland just being screwed

They wont probably. It all about their business at the end of the day and people far from the border wouldnt be a threat to them unless they was a retailer nearby such as dunnes offering less for a product.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,163 ✭✭✭✭Boston

parsi wrote: »

Tesco Ireland hardly bought Tesco wine from an Irish distributor.

What makes you say that?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,492 ✭✭✭Sir Oxman

[FONT=&quot]

The profits are record profits and along with the example of the dairy gold pricing[/FONT] [FONT=&quot]
    ''On Prime Time of Thursday night, we seen Kerrygold costing 1.06 Sterling, and 1.70 Euro. That represents Tesco sticking a fat 0.50 profit over and above the profit margin taken in the North. That must be the fattest profit margin that anybody world wide can charge on a packet of butter. And the sourcing issue does not apply - the butter came from Cork !!!! ''

]

NCA Jan 09 price Survey gave Kerrygold 454g @ 2.38e in Tesco, Dunnes and Superquinn.

I think the sourcing/distributor may be a big factor in the price (as well as supermarkeyts doing what they do to maximise profits)

Was your Kerrygold the 454g one?? ;-)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

The head honcho said yes after a period of evaluation. So we'll see.

Reading and listening today, border stores are a trial, if successful they will rollout to the rest of Ireland.

Milk, Poultry, Meat is price dropped across all tesco stores from today.

hellboy99 wrote: »
    Still cheaper up north, and I'll continue to shop there.

Here's some of the new prices as of from today:

I think their prices are nearer to NIs on much but they will say they have to factor in higher running costs in RoI vs NI.

People will have to figure out if it's worth the time and petrol to go north or stay local.

I know i wouldn't bother going north to stock up on Twirl 5-packs! ;-)

gambiaman wrote: »
    I think their prices are nearer to NIs on much but they will say they have to factor in higher running costs in RoI vs NI.

People will have to figure out if it's worth the time and petrol to go north or stay local.

I know i wouldn't bother going north to stock up on Twirl 5-packs! ;-)
    Higher costs here are a factor but then you have to look at the fact that how all of a sudden they can drop their prices now and if all goes well it will be applied to all their stores here in the south, why didn't they do this last year :rolleyes:

Be it from electrical goods, furniture, games, toys, clothes to groceries the north is still cheaper and as I'm in Dundalk (10 minute drive to Newry) I'll continue to shop up there and Asda is cheaper too.

hellboy99 wrote: »
    Higher costs here are a factor but then you have to look at the fact that how all of a sudden they can drop their prices now and if all goes well it will be applied to all their stores here in the south, why didn't they do this last year :rolleyes:

Be it from electrical goods, furniture, games, toys, clothes to groceries the north is still cheaper and as I'm in Dundalk (10 minute drive to Newry) I'll continue to shop up there and Asda is cheaper too.

I believe they are shipping in the international brands and more Tesco UK brand stuff to here, that'd be through their huge supplier network in the UK I assume - they are saying it costs less to do this than source this stuff here in Ireland (and I'd well believe them)

Fair play if you're only ten minutes drive away and it's worth your while. I have no argument with that - it's your money!

• Advertisement

gambiaman wrote: »
    I believe they are shipping in the international brands and more Tesco UK brand stuff to here, that'd be through their huge supplier network in the UK I assume - they are saying it costs less to do this than source this stuff here in Ireland (and I'd well believe them)
    That's true and it could of been done a long time ago too. It's not been done now all of a sudden to help their customers that for sure but it is a welcomed decision none the less.

Advertisement