Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Shame on Tesco - Removing Irish Brands from its Stores

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 283 ✭✭escobar

The Major wrote: »
    Just back from Tesco in Bailieboro , they were handing out leaflets at the entrance with the price cuts (about 70 in total) , here is a sample of some of the better ones(Euro prices).

Loose Bananas/Kg from 1.49 to 0.99
    Tesco finest sirloin steak/Kg from 19.79 to 15.99
    Andrex toilet tissue white 9 roll from 8.29 to 5.79
    Tesco finest howcroft estate shiraz 75cl from 13.69 to 6.84
    Durex extra safe 12s from 11.99 to 7.25
    Evian mineral water 2ltr from 1.79 to 0.89
    Bulmers cider 8 pack 8 X 500ml from 18.59 to 14.99

There were plenty of other reductions that weren't on the leaflet e.g. washing powder and dishwasher tablets were to be half price.

Interesting post :).

I always set up a new user name to tell people about my day grocery shopping

Nody wrote: »
    Yes but some posters (see the post above yours for example) appear to believe that they exist to prop up a food industry and suppliers who can't be competative in EU let alone the world.

Perhaps to prop up the dearest supermarket in Ireland....Tesco...:pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

So who are you accusing escobar?

ejmaztec wrote: »
    So it's ok for people here to flood the North on shopping expeditions, but it's not ok for a retailer to buy stuff on the cheap?

I think that Tesco will do more to drive down the prices here than any government or consumer agency ever did.

Again Tesco are the dearest supermarket in Ireland. They just made record profits:rolleyes:

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,280 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

escobar wrote: »
    Again Tesco are the dearest supermarket in Ireland. They just made record profits:rolleyes:
    Good for them, you still have yet to provide a single point of why Tesco, or any other store, should help prop up an inefficent, uncompetative and unwanted Irish food market industry (because if it was not the above they would have no issue selling enough at good enough price to make them worth staying).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,025 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

mike65 wrote: »

Tesco gets a bollocking for being the dearest and another bollocking for trying to drop their prices. :pac::pac::pac::pac::pac::pac:

mike65 wrote: »

Ooh what a harsh word 'accusing'..... ;)

NO really I do it all the time,

I post my thoughts about grocery shopping always of course with anew user name...

They'd be down the soup kitchens if they had to rely on anything they made here.

Good for them, you still have yet to provide a single point of why Tesco, or any other store, should help prop up an inefficent, uncompetative and unwanted Irish food market industry (because if it was not the above they would have no issue selling enough at good enough price to make them worth staying).

Really Nody....you're going to have to try to keep up.;)

I have quoted my previous post to help you out.....

''The fact is that Tesco already charge more than both Superquinn and Dunnes on all branded goods. This is an indisputable fact .
    http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/...breaking45.htm

So to blame it on Irish producers so that they can source produce from England is wrong. Tesco are obviously showing a bias towards their home country in this economic down turn, to our detriment.

As Tesco say themselves “every little helps”.

It seems though they were talking about their own country and profit margins and not their customers grocery bills.''

• Registered Users Posts: 7,476 ✭✭✭ardmacha

Good for them, you still have yet to provide a single point of why Tesco, or any other store, should help prop up an inefficent, uncompetative and unwanted Irish food market industry

What is the evidence that the Irish food market is uncompetitive? The farmers sell the food at quite low prices, it only becomes expensive when on sale in the supermarket. This price cutting is not so much to do with food as with toiletries etc, where are huge profit margin has been made by middlemen who import these things from the international market, add a big markup and sell to shops who add a big markup. The loss of these middlemen is no loss. Yes a few jobs may be lost, but if prices become competitive in the shops then Irish people can live on salaries that are closer to the European norm and Irish businesses can then compete.

• Advertisement

They'd be down the soup kitchens if they had to rely on anything they made here.

But ezmaztec... they're already making record profits selling this irish produce you speak of.....:rolleyes:

But ezmaztec... they're already making record profits selling this irish produce you speak of.....:rolleyes:

What Irish produce that I speak of?:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,293 ✭✭✭StealthRolex

Brenan wrote: »
    I know for a fact that Tesco are working off profit margins in the Republic that far exceed their profit margins in the UK, so maybe Tesco need to look closer at reducing retail prices by reducing their profit margins instead of making Irish producers suffer further.

Loads more info here http://www.tescopoly.org/

There is also Andrew Simms book "Tescopoly: How One Shop Came Out on Top and Why It Matters".

The only way to stop Tesco doing what they do is to stop buying from them. Permanently. Tesco will not bow to the will of any government, any consumer group or anyone with less money to spend on lawyers than they to.

BTW it is impossible to know for a fact that their profit margins exceed that in the UK as Tesco refuses to publish their profits here. It is however reasonable to surmise that this is the case because they won't state it.
    If they did there would be outrage here and in the UK.

In terms of job losses due to their planned actions the reality is there are not that many left to be lost when you compare the job losses Tesco induced by driving down supplier prices and putting local shops, farms and markets out of business. If Tesco could implement automatic stores and make shelf packers and till operators redundant they would.

Some would consider Tesco the Ryanair of retail. Some would consider Ryanair the Tesco of air travel. Take your pick - they're all the same.

Unfortunately it is not just Tesco - it is a business mentality and strategy that can only be fixed by sourcing your products from alternative suppliers, preferably with no middle man. If you can buy direct from the farmer or at a local market\butcher\grocer you will get fresher, higher quality produce cheaper.

Remember, every little hurts!!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,280 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

ardmacha wrote: »
    What is the evidence that the Irish food market is uncompetitive?
    Tesco has no bias, no interest beyond making the most possible profit even though some appear to believe differently. If they can source the products that sell from Ireland at a price that is more competative then UK etc. they would and hence there would be no issue to discuss.

Now if they can't source said products due to currency, base price to high etc. then they will get said produces some where else as the buyers (i.e. Irish consumers) don't care enough to want to pay for such a premium for "Irish" food. Hence this ongoing "the world is going under" thread by posters who preach that we should all buy and prop up this failling industry instead of vote with our feet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,418 ✭✭✭Jip

Nobody bar Tesco knows how much profit they're making in Ireland so you can drop that line.

What would you want Tesco to do ? Sell things so cheaply they're not making money on them ? You've posted a link that highlighted the price differences between the various supermarkets at a certain snaphot of time and so thy decide to do something about it you still whinge ? Confused much.

Again to Stealthrolex above, find out how much profit Dunnes Stores make in Ireland, when you can find the published profit people may concede this point but again they're no different than anyone else.
    If Tesco could implement automatic stores and make shelf packers and till operators redundant they would.

As would Dunnes, Superquinn, Lidl, Aldi etc etc. In fact my local Superquinn added 4 new self scan tills and as a result they now only have 1 person working on a till as opposed to 3 before they got these in. Where's the outcry against that ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

It will be a cold day in hell when you see an automatic till in Dunnes. They don't even trust their own staff to do till override or void.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,366 ✭✭✭IIMII

ardmacha wrote: »
    This price cutting is not so much to do with food as with toiletries etc
    I agree with that. Fresh food isn't all that cheaper in the north. The big savings are on alcohol and non-fresh food items and toiletries.

One eye opener though is to go into Holland and Barrets in Newry and compare prices with the same southern stores. The H&B charge nearly half double in the south for some items

Another good one I came across is in Mamas and Papas in Blanch where they purport to have 30% sale on. But the price tags show the sterling price in bold and the euro price in normal fond. When you compare the two prices you realise that the 30% discount only brings the euro price close to what the sterling price is.

I'm just going to steer completely clear of Tescos from now on though - at least the Sainsbury boys in Newry have made some attempt recently to stock some Irish brands like Flahavans and Brennans, even if the former is always on the bottom shelf.

Like many, I'll buy my drinks (mainly Irish whiskey and Guinness, but also lager & wine) in the north, but continue to use my local fruit and veg shop and butcher in the south. Dog food/chews and toiletries I'll keep getting in the north, light bulbs, toilet roll etc (Irish brand stuff) in the south. Doesn't matter where I buy sugar anymore.. Think my next dental appointment will be in the north though :)

Bond-007 wrote: »
    It will be a cold day in hell when you see an automatic till in Dunnes. They don't even trust their own staff to do till override or void.

That and the fact that they're still in the 80's technology wise, they've very poor systems in place.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 677 ✭✭✭darc

Back to the OP - STILL no details of ANY Irish products being taken off the shelves. Satement from Tesco makes it very clear that the changes affect IMPORTED goods only and that no Irish produced goods have been taken off the shelves.

BTW - Do you realise cans of Coke are probably the most Irish of products sold in Tesco? The concentrate is made in ballina, (for All of Europe) the cans are made in Shannon, and the water is added & finished product packed in Dublin!!

Tesco has no bias, no interest beyond making the most possible profit even though some appear to believe differently. If they can source the products that sell from Ireland at a price that is more competative then UK etc. they would and hence there would be no issue to discuss.

Now if they can't source said products due to currency, base price to high etc. then they will get said produces some where else as the buyers (i.e. Irish consumers) don't care enough to want to pay for such a premium for "Irish" food. Hence this ongoing "the world is going under" thread by posters who preach that we should all buy and prop up this failling industry instead of vote with our feet.

How can you speak for Tesco policy..... are you in contact with them. :confused:

Your assumption with regard to Irish produce is only conjecture and has no basis.

Though I do agree with voting with your feet away from the dearest super market in Ireland.....guess who .......Tesco.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,293 ✭✭✭StealthRolex

Jip wrote: »

Again to Stealthrolex above, find out how much profit Dunnes Stores make in Ireland, when you can find the published profit people may concede this point but again they're no different than anyone else.

As would Dunnes, Superquinn, Lidl, Aldi etc etc. In fact my local Superquinn added 4 new self scan tills and as a result they now only have 1 person working on a till as opposed to 3 before they got these in. Where's the outcry against that ?

No argument Jip - Tesco is the subject of this thread but I agree it is every supermarket. Some are cheaper, some are friendlier, some have better quality but they are all in it for the most profit from the least amount of work or value added.

We are in part to blame because we like the convenience of one-stop shopping. We like the American idea of driving in, loading the car up and taking a weeks or months worth of goodies home. Which is why some of us are beginning to look more like Americans as we pile on the kilos and drive 100m to pick up the newspapers and fags.

There should be an outcry against all supermarket chains. But regardless of who cries out how many of us change our habits and seek out the local supplier?
    How many of us will put the effort in to finding the alternatives and making the extra trips required?

Tesco, Dunnes, Superquinn, Lidl, Aldi et al. and throw in ASDA, Carrefour, Auchean as well if you like, there are still two sides. The supermarkets provide the service and we use it. They won't go away or change their way of making a profit unless we stop giving them our money.

• Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭Stillnotworking

darc wrote: »
    Back to the OP - STILL no details of ANY Irish producst being taken off the shelves. Satement from Tesco makes it very cear that the changes affect IMPORTED goods only and that no Irish produced goods have been taken off the shelves.

BTW - Do you realise cans of Coke are probably the most Irish of products sold in Tesco? The concentrate is made in ballina, (for All of Europe) the cans are made in Shannon, and the water is added & finished product packed in Dublin!!

Hate to disagree, the ones I bought in Tesco Drogheda last week had a big "Made in GB" sign on the side of them.

Escobar, you plainly fail to see the point, by reducing the prices they will no longer be the dearest. With some people, like yourself, you just can't win.

Whilst bringing the southern stores in line with the northern stores, does that mean no more GAA bag packers in the south like in the north?

How can you speak for Tesco policy..... are you in contact with them. :confused:
    Yes, I'm the evil puppet master who's planning to take over Ireland using Tesco, I thought this was a known fact by now!
    Your assumption with regard to Irish produce is only conjecture and has no basis.
    Except of course that it is the fundamental goal of any publically owned business, but you're right, beyond that I got no idea what I'm talking about :rolleyes:.
    Though I do agree with voting with your feet away from the dearest super market in Ireland.....guess who .......Tesco
    And once again what proof do you have of Tesco having a set policy to remove Irish items that are competatively priced?

You keep dancing around when confronted on every single issue and chant Tesco is the bad bad man. What did they do to you? Did they fire you or kick you out for stealing or something because you appear to have an axe to grind and very little facts to back it up.

Jip wrote: »
    Escobar, you plainly fail to see the point, by reducing the prices they will no longer be the dearest. With some people, like yourself, you just can't win.

I think that were Tesco not a UK based company, certain people wouldn't be complaining.

Me? I treat all retailers with the contempt they deserve, no matter where they're based. All of the feckers are trying to separate me from my cash, and the one taking the least amount is the winner.

IIMII wrote: »
    Whilst bringing the southern stores in line with the northern stores, does that mean no more GAA bag packers in the south like in the north?

Being the tight-fisted sod that I am, I hope that they dispense with all of em, not just the GAA (who get enough money out of us as it is).:P

Being the tight-fisted sod that I am, I hope that they dispense with all of em, not just the GAA (who get enough money out of us as it is).:P
    They should get more.. :)

I think that were Tesco not a UK based company, certain people wouldn't be complaining.

That is essentially the problem with people, I've raised the same point and so have other posters. There's another thread around here about Dunnes cutting back staff and hours and yet the only people who seem to be posting there are Dunnes employees. Now if that was Tescos doing the same thing the thread would be several hundred pages long all decrying the fact that Tescos are going to bleed the country dry and were up until the outbreak of Swine Flu planning in bringing in Mexician Migrant Workers in the back of pick ups to take our jobs and wimin.

• Advertisement

Yes, I'm the evil puppet master who's planning to take over Ireland using Tesco, I thought this was a known fact by now!

Except of course that it is the fundamental goal of any publically owned business, but you're right, beyond that I got no idea what I'm talking about :rolleyes:.

And once again what proof do you have of Tesco having a set policy to remove Irish items that are competatively priced?

You keep dancing around when confronted on every single issue and chant Tesco is the bad bad man. What did they do to you? Did they fire you or kick you out for stealing or something because you appear to have an axe to grind and very little facts to back it up.

The first question was rhetorical.....it may have gone over your head though.:o

I havn't heard one fact from you all day...just conjecture of doubtable veracity, but here's a few for you

The fact is that Tesco already charge more than both Superquinn and Dunnes on all branded goods. This is an indisputable fact .

So to blame it on Irish producers so that they can source produce from England is wrong.

for example..
    ''On Prime Time of Thursday night, we seen Kerrygold costing 1.06 Sterling, and 1.70 Euro. That represents Tesco sticking a fat 0.50 profit over and above the profit margin taken in the North. That must be the fattest profit margin that anybody world wide can charge on a packet of butter. And the sourcing issue does not apply - the butter came from Cork !!!! ''

Tesco has also made record profits as shown below, and charge the highest price of any Irish retailer

http://www.eecho.ie/news/index.aspx?c=ireland&jp=eyauqlojmhql

As Tesco say themselves “every little helps”.

It seems though they were talking about their own country and profit margins and not their customers grocery bills.

I know I'm copying from previous posts but you seem to have forgotten almost every point.:(

I do find it strange though, that you are vehemently defending Tesco against indisputable facts......... :confused:

Advertisement