Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Shame on Tesco - Removing Irish Brands from its Stores

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 78 ✭✭paddy smith

with tesco one of irelands biggest employer i wouldnt agree with some of the posts calling for a bycot .

• Registered Users Posts: 7,476 ✭✭✭ardmacha

with tesco one of irelands biggest employer i wouldnt agree with some of the posts calling for a bycot

If people shop in one place rather than another the total employment in retail remains the same. That said there Tesco seem to be reducing prices which is not a reason to boycott them.

ardmacha wrote: »
    If people shop in one place rather than another the total employment in retail remains the same. That said there Tesco seem to be reducing prices which is not a reason to boycott them.

tesco are one of the better ones who treat their staff and costomers very well,
    i will always support them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,226 ✭✭✭taram

finisklin wrote: »
    One thing saying it and another preaching it.....it will be a blood bath when it happens.....they will probably pick key value items like milk and bread and slash them in direct comparision with Lidl and Aldi....thats when it will get bitter and twisted.
    When they started that big 'omg we're the biggest discounter' they used larder items like jam and biscuits, but the lidl jam was 2 cent dearer but was 65% fruit, the Tesco one was 40%, lidl ice-cream was pricer but was proper ice-cream, tesco's was whey and vegetable fat etc, it wasn't really like for like at all so pointless really but tesco pointed it out in every media source for about 2 weeks. :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,418 ✭✭✭Jip

Paddy, just wait for the posts now accusing you of being a Tesco employee ! Apparently you can't say anything good about a company unless you've been posting here years.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,476 ✭✭✭ardmacha

tesco are one of the better ones who treat their staff and costomers very well,

As a customer I do not think that Tesco treat their customers well. I can think of only one or two instances where I was treated as a valued customer, and many many cases where I treated with contempt and as an inconvenience to staff.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

ardmacha wrote: »
    As a customer I do not think that Tesco treat their customers well. I can think of only one or two instances where I was treated as a valued customer, and many many cases where I treated with contempt and as an inconvenience to staff.
    I would agree there 100%.

I do not like being forced to use self service tills when you have a lot of shopping. Just because staff are too lazy to open another till.

I rarely shop there anymore unless it is an item that cannot be obtained anywhere else easily. I do also agree that Tesco is one of the dearer retailers in the country and even in NI there are very expensive when compared to Asda etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,255 ✭✭✭getz

Bond-007 wrote: »
    I would agree there 100%.

I do not like being forced to use self service tills when you have a lot of shopping. Just because staff are too lazy to open another till.

I rarely shop there anymore unless it is an item that cannot be obtained anywhere else easily. I do also agree that Tesco is one of the dearer retailers in the country and even in NI there are very expensive when compared to Asda etc.
    the idea of using self sevice till is so the company can cut back on staff its not that the staff are lazy-you are correct that asda are cheeper,my son who is a manager with tesco, shops in morrisons[his wife is a manager with morrisons so she gets a discount] or asda [my wife works for asda ]

Jip wrote: »
    Paddy, just wait for the posts now accusing you of being a Tesco employee ! Apparently you can't say anything good about a company unless you've been posting here years.

im not a tesco employee But i do have 2 neice working there and they are very well looked after.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,587 ✭✭✭Bob Z

darc wrote: »
    I still disagree with the OP. Tesco are removing a range of brands from the shelves and replacing with lower price goods.

They are not specifically removing Irish brands but there will probably be Irish brands amonst all the brands being removed.

It is also currently only specific to border counties & one cork store mainly to compete with NI & also to test the reaction where NI is of no consequence.

Basically they are saying they are losing loads of business to NI due to price differences and due to big price differences people have loast brand loyalty, therefore they will give southern shoppers that same choice as NI at the same prices and see if it goes down well.

The OP is suggesting that just Irish brands are being withdrawn when it is more a general reconfiguration of the store & if certain Irish /International brands cannot compete on price then they're out.

Yes they havent removed irish goods but they are leaving it up to the customer to choose. They are very shrewd. Once the irish goods arent been bought anymore they will then say that the customer is choosing the intenational brands.

I cant blame tesco. Prices in Ireland are far too high. This could be awake up call to the goverment and/or the retail industry

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,171 ✭✭✭1huge1

Bob Z wrote: »
    Yes they havent removed irish goods but they are leaving it up to the customer to choose. They are very shrewd. Once the irish goods arent been bought anymore they will then say that the customer is choosing the intenational brands.

I cant blame tesco. Prices in Ireland are far too high. This could be awake up call to the goverment and/or the retail industry
    Exactly, in a indirect way they are doing the country a favour, this will lead to the irish producer to reduce prices and regain some of our lost competitiveness.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

please correct me if im way off here but from what i took from their recent announcements about their border store they will be purchasing the exact same irish goods in the main, but instead of buying them from their normal irish wholesalers they will be buying them a lot cheaper from uk and europen wholesalers

• Registered Users Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

Which is why they are only doing it in border stores first. If it isn't successful you can be sure it will not be rolled out nationwide.

If people are that fond of Irish products they'll shop elsewhere or contine to buy the "Irish" goods and leave the others on the shelves. That, or shop up North to suport an United Ireland! :o

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

That, or shop up North to suport an United Ireland!
    Ha ha. Support the United Kingdom more like. ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭calex71

Was in the new Drogheda store yesterday.

To say it was wedged would be an understatement. There where some real bargains to be had, nearly had a heart attack when i saw what i was paying for a particular brand of tooth paste here in Dublin and what it was priced at there in Drogheda... over €2 in the difference, razor blades €6 cheaper.

The kicker though is that what i would class as essentials - meat, fruit veg and dairy had little of no reduction with the exception of tesco milk, and is the same rubbish quality it always is in tesco.

Booze was cheaper in part too, 6x500ml cans of budweiser where 7.50 :eek: pitty i dont drink that wee wee

calex71 wrote: »
    with the exception of tesco milk, and is the same rubbish quality it always is in tesco.

Eh, you do know Tesco milk comes from Glanbia and is the same stuff as some of their branded produce ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭calex71

Eh, you do know Tesco milk comes from Glanbia and is the same stuff as some of their branded produce ?

I didnt mean to infer that the tesco milk was bad quality, i mean the meat and veg was.

Im blue in the face trying to explain to house mates the mike comes from same place lol :D amazing how a different label will effect peoples attitude to a product aint it.

Ah I see. Not really a fruit and veg man but can't comment on that. I think the meat from over the counter is fine though and some of the prepacked stuff is quite good too. I usually go through every pack though looking for the best looking one and insuring it's Irish, I tend to stick to beef though so can't comment on pork or anything else. Superquinns stuff is quite good though but does come at a premium but sure that's to be expected.

Still tastes horrible and I would never touch Glanbia products with a 50ft pole.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,647 ✭✭✭brian ireland

Today 21:44With all this talk of Tesco etc, did you all realise that you can still maintain the table you have become accustomed to very easily by shopping around. Heres an instance;
    say your kids are used to shopbought filled rolls every day for lunch, but the purse strings are tight, go to Lidl, where, for 74c, you can buy a partbaked 4 pack of rolls, and a delecious packaged ham called Dulano for around 3euro, and its a generous amount of ham, I might add. Get up 10 mins earlier every morning, bung the rolls in the oven for 8 mins, and your kids have gorgeous fresh rolls with ham for a fraction ofthe cost and calories. Just thought Id share that with some of the nasties who sent me private messages telling me I was a moan!
    progress.gif
    progress.gif:D:D:D:D:D:D
    how did you do that box thing?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭talkingclock

this?
    progress.gif
    progress.gif

sorry for getting OT!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,647 ✭✭✭brian ireland

this?
    progress.gif
    progress.gif

sorry for getting OT!

Its kinda funky

• Closed Accounts Posts: 283 ✭✭escobar

The fact is that Tesco already charge more than both Superquinn and Dunnes on all branded goods. This is an indisputable fact .
    http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/...breaking45.htm[/I]

I already did dispute it.

Touche...I bow to your superior intellect;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 283 ✭✭escobar

Someones back peddaling. If you said the grass was green I would definately have to check.

I'm afraid you are not repeating yourself and was you have posted saying it a repeat is not in fact something you already said, to use your phrase you thought was a killer blow, that's is an indusputable fact.

Try spot the difference

Now you whinge and whinge and say you're stuck with the dearest supermarket in Ireland. How the hell are you, are you packed into the back of a blacked out van everytime someone spots you leave the house with shopping bags and shipped off to Tescos ? Despite some people thinking this may be true you aren't, just go elsewhere. If you still don't after all your posts on this thread, you're a fool.

They plan to depending on how the border area goes, when is another thing.

Because they hadn't restructured their supply chain at that time. People were willing to but items at the prices they were at at the time, same in every other store in the country. Along came the recession and a good exchange rate on sterling so people headed north so the company had to do something about it. Why would any company out to make a profit for it's shareholders not maximise that ?

The question you should be asking is now why aren't the rest of the supermarkets following suit ?

Do people simply not read news articles or listen to radio interviews ?

Oh, so you're the one with the details of the Irish profits ? I thought someone must have them considering the amount of people telling us to look at their Irish profits considering Tesco don't release them, nor Dunnes nor Lidl nor Aldi etc etc

Mmm, the food still has to get to the distribution centre and from there to the stores and the company still had to be run by somebody, what do you think, they're going to close head office and run it from the UK ? Think before you post.

Aaah Jip I assume this is the thread you were referring to.

Not backpedaling at all, it is indusputable, the link has always been there.

. ''Tesco was the most expensive and the groceries had a price tag of €296.08.''

''When it comes to own brand goods, the gap between Dunnes and Tesco and Aldi and Lidl has narrowed significantly, the survey has found''

I've always put the link to prove my comments and tesco was the dearest with Dunnes the cheapest and LPidl/Aldi cheapest for branded goods.

To answer your question, Unfortunately I have decided to vote with my feet and not go to Tesco, the reason is explained in the other thread.....

What about my other catchphrase ''every little helps''Tesco's profit margin, you're welcome to use that too.

p.s - details of the Irish profits are out now and tesco make 50% more profit here than elsewhere by overcharging, yet the only way they could bring down prices was to source from abroad....mmmmm

Mmmmm, yet again you seemed to have lost your original statement that Tesco were more expensive on all branded products. The links you put in contradicted your statement as I originally pointed out. You're like a broken record at this stage, repeating over and over but occasionally skipping adding or missing something that played first time around.

And explain how Tesco make 50% more profit here than anywhere else ? Or is this just another embelished statement by yourself ? You're confusing a profit with profit margin which is a big difference.

For the record, it is rumoured that their profit margin was 9.3 percent last year with a profit of €248 million. Do you think that no other Tesco region in the world made more that €165 million ?

Dunnes profit margin is also rumoured to be around 9 percent, therefore by your logic they're also over charging ? Do you also have a problem with this ? Can I assume that you'll equally vote with your feet by also refusing to shop there ?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

escobar wrote: »
    Aaah Jip I assume this is the thread you were referring to.

. ''Tesco was the most expensive and the groceries had a price tag of €296.08.''

''When it comes to own brand goods, the gap between Dunnes and Tesco and Aldi and Lidl has narrowed significantly, the survey has found''

I've always put the link to prove my comments and tesco was the dearest with Dunnes the cheapest and LPidl/Aldi cheapest for branded goods.

To answer your question, Unfortunately I have decided to vote with my feet and not go to Tesco, the reason is explained in the other thread.....

What about my other catchphrase ''every little helps''Tesco's profit margin, you're welcome to use that too.

p.s - details of the Irish profits are out now and tesco make 50% more profit here than elsewhere by overcharging, yet the only way they could bring down prices was to source from abroad....mmmmm

Well when Tesco do bring prices down and other store have to follow to survive, let's see how they do it.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,373 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

escobar wrote: »

Once again....
    the most important bit is not that price tag, it is this
    the difference between the cheapest and dearest basket was €3.60 or 1.2 per cent

It is indisputable that the difference is NEGLIGIBLE. When doing stats and experiments in college anything with such a low difference would be thrown out as inconclusive, since the difference is minute. If they did the survey the next week it could have easily swayed the other way.

The REAL story is not that tesco are very expensive like you are trying to infer, the real story is there is very little difference between the supermarkets.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

rubadub wrote: »
    Once again....
    the most important bit is not that price tag, it is this

It is indisputable that the difference is NEGLIGIBLE. When doing stats and experiments in college anything with such a low difference would be thrown out as inconclusive, since the difference is minute. If they did the survey the next week it could have easily swayed the other way.

The REAL story is not that tesco are very expensive like you are trying to infer, the real story is there is very little difference between the supermarkets.

Was in Tesco yesterday and noticed some big price drops, eg.€4.85 for a 200 gramme jar of Nescafe, about a 20% drop. Sausages and bacon was the sections I noticed not much Irish produce, no Clonakilty sausages :eek: plus I didn't notice Lyons or Barrys tea at a quick glance. Seemed to have loads of different brands of tea. I think many Irish people are brand loyal/snobs so it will be interesting to see do people buy the new brands or stick to the known brands.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,534 ✭✭✭GerardKeating

K-9 wrote: »
    Was in Tesco yesterday and noticed some big price drops, eg.€4.85 for a 200 gramme jar of Nescafe, about a 20% drop. Sausages and bacon was the sections I noticed not much Irish produce, no Clonakilty sausages :eek: plus I didn't notice Lyons or Barrys tea at a quick glance. Seemed to have loads of different brands of tea. I think many Irish people are brand loyal/snobs so it will be interesting to see do people buy the new brands or stick to the known brands.

This famed irish "Brand Loyalist" does not stop droves of people traveling "Up North" to ASDA/Sainsbury and the like where most likley they will not find these brands.

And Dunnes in Galway have all these "funny" english tea brands, and no-one complains of it, but when Tesco stock them....

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,432 ✭✭✭mcwhirter

This famed irish "Brand Loyalist" does not stop droves of people traveling "Up North" to ASDA/Sainsbury and the like where most likley they will not find these brands.

And Dunnes in Galway have all these "funny" english tead brands, and no-one complains of it, but when Tesco stock them....

Dunnes 'because we are irish' :eek:

Advertisement