Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Have money on stars, want boards subscription :F

Options
  • 29-04-2009 10:31am
    Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 284 ✭✭

Don't have paypal or a credit card so I can't go with the easy route of getting a subscription to boards.
    Have money on stars though, and if anybody has any ideas as to how I can ship my money from stars->boards, that would be sweet :)
    Obviously it would have to be through some 3rd party, but I don't think I can withdraw money from stars to a paypal account..

Help appreciated :)

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,956 ✭✭✭CHD

Go here www.3v.ie
    Get a 3v card
    Open a PayPal a/c
    TopUp your 3v card when it arrives - Alot of shops allow you to do this.
    Stick it into PayPal
    When thats done go to your User CP and on the bottom left it says paid subscriptions, follow that and your done.

This is the easist way for you to subscribe i think.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,802 ✭✭✭DAMO72

CHD wrote: »
    Go here www.3v.ie
    Get a 3v card
    Open a PayPal a/c
    TopUp your 3v card when it arrives - Alot of shops allow you to do this.
    Stick it into PayPal
    When thats done go to your User CP and on the bottom left it says paid subscriptions, follow that and your done.

This is the easist way for you to subscribe i think.
    Subscription to board's ???????

• Registered Users Posts: 13,361 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

What if he doesn't want to open up a PayPal account, any way to subscribe to boards otherwise?

I've been thinking of subscribing for a while (if only to get rid of the extra 's' at the end of my username !) but couldn't be bothered opening a paypal* account.
    *whatever the hell that is anyway.

Not sure, but i think it has to go through paypal.

• Registered Users Posts: 932 ✭✭✭Donkathon

not sure where i seen it but i though 2 guys in a thread transfered via stars or what ever to a mod and he paid the subsciption, might be wrong though

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,361 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

DAMO72 wrote: »
    Subscription to board's ???????

Information on what you get as a subscriber, + cost.
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=311348

• Closed Accounts Posts: 384 ✭✭Vamoose Killers

Subscribing to Boards, jesus christ :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,764 ✭✭✭DeadParrot

Subscribing to Boards, jesus christ :D

access to sex & sexuality (who I'm sure is modded to death), and a xmas card from Dev

You know it makes sense. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,187 ✭✭✭Flushdraw

I've been thinking of subscribing for a while (if only to get rid of the extra 's' at the end of my username !) [/SIZE]

I didn't even notice the extra 's' til you said it!

• Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭lillou

and don't forget the "funky coloured stars".

• Advertisement

DeadParrot wrote: »
    access to sex & sexuality (who I'm sure is modded to death), and a xmas card from Dev

You know it makes sense. :pac:

Haha, seriously, who pays for this stuff? :D

Haha, seriously, who pays for this stuff? :D
    People who want there name changed and wana give something back or soomething.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 284 ✭✭We

First of all, its a way of contributing to a site that many of us have been using for years..
    Myself, I've been using boards since about 2000/01.. Had 3 or 4 filestorage accounts(mods- I was young and I'm sorry :E ) when they were available, bought a good few things from adverts, received tons of help on millions of different topics from boards members, and basically just enjoyed being part of the community over the last few years..

Its a service that these lads provide, and its not free :) Its like contributing to the church basket thing that they pass around :E

also, you get some little features make it worth the 5 squid ;)

Fair enough. Just don't see the point in it myself. It's probably the worst run forum that I'm a member of (about 5 others that I frequently use). But let's not go down that route!

You just did. Its very well run. But how im not banned yet i dunno.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,083 ✭✭✭RoundTower

Now that the PPP kickbacks have been stopped, how else would you propose the mods be compensated if not by subscriptions?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,291 Mod ✭✭✭✭F1ngers

I've been thinking of subscribing for a while (if only to get rid of the extra 's' at the end of my username !)

Could you not ask a mod to remove that hideous excess "s"...:p

Someone asked to have numbers removed from their username and one of the mods did it.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055548711

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 284 ✭✭We

Fair enough. Just don't see the point in it myself.

Whether you would subscribe or not is something else, but if you don't actually 'see the point' after my last post, then I don't think I can do much else to help you understand, but I'll try ;)
    It's probably the worst run forum that I'm a member of (about 5 others that I frequently use). But let's not go down that route!

Well you have already gone down that route, so excuse me, but I'm not gonna let you get away after throwing that comment out there :D

Think about it like this.. boards.ie is a service, available to everybody. And while it may not cater to your high standard forum quota, you still use it, and it still costing somebody else.

Boards.ie is not demanding, or even asking people to donate, its just leaving the option there for those who feel they have benefited from the site. And to suggest that a contribution of even €5 isn't deserved or warranted because you don't feel it compares to the other forums you use is ridiculous.

How about you consider the fact that every post you make, every thread you make, everytime you log in to this site, it's costing somebody else money. When you actually think about, you'll probably realise its more a case of you owing boards.ie, as any post you've laughed at, found interesting or learned something from, was provided by them. In addition, boards.ie isn't asking you to be here or for your criticism and thus, doesn't owe YOU anything! :)

bleh

I pay for my internet connection, that's as far as it goes tbh.

• Subscribers Posts: 32,850 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

F1ngers wrote: »
    Could you not ask a mod to remove that hideous excess "s"...:p

Someone asked to have numbers removed from their username and one of the mods did it.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055548711

That only got done because the user who requested it is a subscriber. If they were not it would not have been done. Even as a subscriber you cannot change your own name, but it does give you the option to ask someone else to do it, and they will.

As for why people subscribe, who knows? Some people find having space for 5k messages is better than space for 500 (in the old days it was a limit of 50), some people like to know that they have given something back to a service that has given them lots of laughs and information. Some people do it because they want a name change, some people do it because they want the coloured stars, and some probably do it for other reasons.

As for badly run, then (and this is a genuine suggestion) you should start a thread in feedback saying how you think things could be improved around here. THat is what feedback is for, and it won't cost you a penny to do that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭Drakar

I heard hot chicks make out with subscribers at the drop of a hat.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,275 ✭✭✭✭mdwexford

Fair enough. Just don't see the point in it myself. It's probably the worst run forum that I'm a member of (about 5 others that I frequently use). But let's not go down that route!
    I pay for my internet connection, that's as far as it goes tbh.

You'll go far.

?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,806 ✭✭✭Lafortezza

Only pay for subscription if you want to give something back for whatever enjoyment/education you get from the site. All the little bonuses and extras are pretty worthless, the S&S forum is truely awful.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭Drakar

Depraved you mean? Now people just want to read it even more... or maybe that was your plan all along!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 345 ✭✭thenutpeddler

We wrote: »
    First of all, its a way of contributing to a site that many of us have been using for years..
    Myself, I've been using boards since about 2000/01.. Had 3 or 4 filestorage accounts(mods- I was young and I'm sorry :E ) when they were available, bought a good few things from adverts, received tons of help on millions of different topics from boards members, and basically just enjoyed being part of the community over the last few years..

Its a service that these lads provide, and its not free :) Its like contributing to the church basket thing that they pass around :E

also, you get some little features make it worth the 5 squid ;)

You did all this while only posting 78 times.
    Fair play

• Registered Users Posts: 8,806 ✭✭✭Lafortezza

Drakar wrote: »
    Depraved you mean?
    No, it's just shit.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,083 ✭✭✭RoundTower

I'm thinking of subscribing so I can change my name to Captain Obvious2

• Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭northwestguy27

RoundTower wrote: »

Well, in all seriousness, I would like to change my username too, so without a paypal account, but with some ££ on neteller is it possible?

northwestguy27 is all a bit too much

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭lillou

RoundTower wrote: »

I'm waiting for him to subscribe and then I'll subscribe so I can change my name to RoundTower

Advertisement