Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish Mercenary Killed in Bolivia

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 903 ✭✭✭ilkhanid

"In the normal use of language "cache nearby" means a hiding place or storage place in the vicinity."

"That is your own inference, no doubt coloured by your own prejudice."

My inference is based on the fact that I have spoken the English language for a few decades now, so I have a certain amount of experience with what phrases usually mean. Also....

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/cache

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,792 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

RedPlanet wrote: »
    Police fail to observe all their procedures all the time.
    How often do employers remain silent when one of their trainees gets killed in a gunfight with police?
    I agree that there are questions to be answered as to what Dwyer was doing there.

Separately, I don't see how anyone can believe anything other than that the Bolivian government and police are lying through their teeth. When I say they didn't follow procedures, I'm not talking about forgetting to sign a form in triplicate; I'm talking about actively preventing independent observation of their actions, either before or immediately afterwards.

So sure: I'm waiting to hear what he was doing there. But, in the meantime, I'm completely disregarding anything I'm hearing from the Bolivian government as to what they claim he was doing there.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,295 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

If Mr. Dwyer really was on some "security training", then the employer should say as much and put to rest a lot of the speculation.
    LOL. "Yes, everyone, the suspected terrorist was on our pay-role, but not to worry... there are no other suspected terrorists guarding your stuff" :rolleyes:

No firm will say such a thing whilst investigations are on-going.

• Registered Users Posts: 597 ✭✭✭Tayto2000

the_syco wrote: »
    From the Irish Times:

How far is the back of the head from the chest?:confused:

Dwyer wasn't (apparently) shot in the back of the head, his body has clear wounds in the chest on the scene photographs, as far as they can be trusted.
    Also, why would you tie someones hands if you had just shot them multiple times in the chest?

This is standard police procedure in many places, including the USA - After shooting a person, they will take their weapon (if visible) and cuff them before doing anything else i.e. checking for life signs, giving first aid etc.

Purely speculative, but I think the Bolivians were trying to present this as a grand standing operation, blew away a couple of unarmed guys in a Gibralta style execution. But the people they shot are suddenly not quite a good fit to present as hardened mercenaries and they are now desperately back pedaling, as evidenced by suddenly reverting to correct police procedure, moderating their statements etc.

No doubt the full story will come out eventually, until then it's all speculative.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,374 ✭✭✭Gone West

Tayto2000 wrote: »
    No doubt the full story will come out eventually, until then it's all speculative.
    I have serious doubts that the full story will come out, or even a version close to the truth.

And yes, in the original spanish on the news(BTW this is a non-story in the rest of SA), it basically translates to cache of weapons found nearby.
    How was there a 30 min shootout, if they found the weapons nearby?

I can't understand why people are arguing points on this, its quite obviously a relatively big **** up by the Bolivians.
    But don't expect truthful answers from them, they are a backwards backwater.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 189 ✭✭denat

Maybe this has been addressed before. I don't have time to read all of these posts - sorry - but there is a thread somewhere on Boards about Garda recruitment, exams etc..

given what we know about Mr Dwyer, I'd be surprised if he hadn't applied to join the Gardai and if he didn't have a rake of posts on Boards in that respect.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,934 ✭✭✭OhNoYouDidn't

oscarBravo wrote: »

Separately, I don't see how anyone can believe anything other than that the Bolivian government and police are lying through their teeth. When I say they didn't follow procedures, I'm not talking about forgetting to sign a form in triplicate; I'm talking about actively preventing independent observation of their actions, either before or immediately afterwards.

In other words exactly like the Gardai?

Why the distrust of the Bolivians specifically? Do you distrust the entire British governmental system as a result of the de Menzes shooting?

In other words exactly like the Gardai?
    No. Nothing at all like the Gardaí.
    Why the distrust of the Bolivians specifically? Do you distrust the entire British governmental system as a result of the de Menzes shooting?
    I'm not commenting on the Bolivian government and police in general, I'm commenting about the fact that they're blatantly lying through their teeth in this specific case.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,691 ✭✭✭RedPlanet

LOL. "Yes, everyone, the suspected terrorist was on our pay-role, but not to worry... there are no other suspected terrorists guarding your stuff" :rolleyes:

No firm will say such a thing whilst investigations are on-going.

The "employer" has a civic duty to come forward. This will help investigators trace the movement of these individuals the days/weeks before the shooting.
    By your logic, if an employer may have other terrorists on their pay role, and they don't come forward, then they are effectively aiding said terrorists.

Years ago, a suspected serial killer by the name of Jeffery Dahlmer was arrested in USA, the company that employed him: Ambroisia chocolate, came forward immediately to confirm he was one of their employees. Yes it's a humilation for the company and may effect their sales, but they did their civic duty and assisted the police in their investigations.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,148 ✭✭✭✭Lemming

By your logic, if an employer may have other terrorists on their pay role, and they don't come forward, then they are effectively aiding said terrorists.

Technically, every employer may have terrorists on their payrole. The employers themselves may even be terrorists. That's kind of the whole f*cking point of terrorism; You don't know who is and who isn't.

By carrying such action you will cause panic, undermine your company, and prejudice any investigation since Dwyer's "guilt" - as is that of the rest of the men - is extremely suspect.
    Years ago, a suspected serial killer by the name of Jeffery Dahlmer was arrested in USA, the company that employed him: Ambroisia chocolate, came forward immediately to confirm he was one of their employees. Yes it's a humilation for the company and may effect their sales, but they did their civic duty and assisted the police in their investigations.

RP, to use a word you used against me earlier; that's such a "quaint" view. There is a world of difference in implication between somebody being a serial killer and being a suspected terrorist. Serial killers by their nature tend not to play well with others and more often than not act alone.

Incidentally, the bolivian prosecutor has said thus far that there is no evidence to suggest a plot against Morales (today's Irish Times), although I have yet to read the rest of the article. Further, Morales has backpedalled on his agreement (Today's Irish Times, Metro) to an international inquiry and is now telling the Irish government to f*ck off. Another bit of back pedalling by the state apparatus on top of all the other back pedalling.

As I've said before; this entire debacle R.E.E.K.S. of absolute excrement. And the smell is only getting worse.

Edit: Oh my ... Morales is getting uppity with the conjecture & innuendo in context of his now being p*ssed off at the requests for inquiry, going so far as to suggest that European nations want to tople his regime and assinate him. All together now; "Paranoia, paranoia, everybody's out to get youuuuuuuuuuu ..... "

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,723 ✭✭✭nice_guy80

i knew this guy in galway a few years ago.

there is no way on earth he had anything to do with terrorism or plots or anything.

an average guy from Tipp, who played a bit of hurling, enjoyed a few pints and did a bit of work as security in bars etc

a case of being in the wrong place at the wrong time i would say

No. Nothing at all like the Gardaí.
    talking about actively preventing independent observation of their actions, either before or immediately afterwards

May Day Police Riot *cough*cough*. No Garda able to identify any other on film. *cough*cough*

Etc.

Lemming wrote: »
    Technically, every employer may have terrorists on their payrole. The employers themselves may even be terrorists. That's kind of the whole f*cking point of terrorism; You don't know who is and who isn't.

By carrying such action you will cause panic, undermine your company, and prejudice any investigation since Dwyer's "guilt" - as is that of the rest of the men - is extremely suspect.
    So basically, you and the_syco don't feel that an employer has a civic duty to inform the authorities about one of their employees (that was just gunned down in an anti-terrorist swoop).
    Rather you think, the right thing from them to do, is say nothing.
    I find that compeletly ludicrious.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,089 ✭✭✭✭P. Breathnach

I suspect that the reason no employer has come forward is that the employer died in the same incident.

I also think that the suggestion that he was in the wrong place at the wrong time, while true in one sense, probably has the wrong connotation. It wasn't simply that he was accidentally caught up in something that had nothing to do with him. He was very obviously associating with people who the Bolivian police saw as legitimate targets. I suspect that he might have gone there as an adventure, and had no idea that it was a really dangerous game. It's the sort of misjudgement that thousands of young men in Ireland might make.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,374 ✭✭✭Gone West

RP, why do you keep making pointless (and deeply flawed) analogies WRT this story to others? What is your actual point of view, or are you just trolling to try to be controversial or get notice?

Care elaborate on those "pointless (and deeply flawed) analogies"?

May Day Police Riot
    The May Day what now?

Look, there's no point arguing this one with you. On one hand, all Irish police are irredeemably corrupt because of one or two isolated examples. On the other hand, thirty-odd heavily armed police, contrary to their own procedures, storm a hotel without a public prosecutor present, apparently execute the occupants, illegally prevent the public prosecutor from examining the scene for some time afterwards, and come out with contradictory statements about what took place - but hey, there must be a perfectly rational explanation.

Dude: whatever.

The May Day what now?

Look, there's no point arguing this one with you. On one hand, all Irish police are irredeemably corrupt because of one or two isolated examples. On the other hand, thirty-odd heavily armed police, contrary to their own procedures, storm a hotel without a public prosecutor present, apparently execute the occupants, illegally prevent the public prosecutor from examining the scene for some time afterwards, and come out with contradictory statements about what took place - but hey, there must be a perfectly rational explanation.

Dude: whatever.

Police Riot. When they ran around illegally assaulting protestors and passers by. It was all over the news.

But the substantive point is this:

You refuse to believe the Bolivian authorities at all because the police appear to have blocked an investigation into their (as it appears at the moment, illegal) behaviour.

When the Gardai do the exact same on May Day or in Donegal (where Eddie Fulerton was also shot in his bed...) thats an 'isolated example' and bigger picture cannot be infered from that exact same behaviour.

Its an entirely contradictory position. Its passed off as bad apples in the Gardai but declared a state sponsored death squad in the Bolivial mules? You can't have it both ways....

Police Riot. When they ran around illegally assaulting protestors and passers by. It was all over the news.
    Oh, I remember it. Let me guess: you're one of those people who subscribe to the idea that one or two Gardaí, for absolutely no reason whatsoever, suddenly decided that it would be a good idea to just start randomly attacking whoever happened to be within reach?

At the same time, you're happy to accept the word of the Bolivian police - whom you've already accused of cold-blooded murder, and who have demonstrably lied and blatantly disregarded operating procedures - as to the motives of the people they appear to have executed?

I've seen some people carry around serious chips on their shoulder regarding the Irish police, but I'm wondering how you manage to walk upright.
    But the substantive point is this:

You refuse to believe the Bolivian authorities at all because the police appear to have blocked an investigation into their (as it appears at the moment, illegal) behaviour.
    I'll make this as clear as I know how:

I refuse to accept at face value anything the Bolivian police say about the people they cold-bloodedly murdered (by your own description), when they are clearly lying about the situation, and appear to have orchestrated a cover-up.

You seem to feel this is an unreasonable position.

So, why don't you explain to me why you feel that I should believe the lying cold-blooded murderers' account of the situation.
    When the Gardai do the exact same on May Day or in Donegal (where Eddie Fulerton was also shot in his bed...) thats an 'isolated example' and bigger picture cannot be infered from that exact same behaviour.
    No, a bigger picture can't be inferred from it. Similarly, I'm not trying to infer a bigger picture from the situation in Bolivia.
    Its an entirely contradictory position. Its passed off as bad apples in the Gardai but declared a state sponsored death squad in the Bolivial mules? You can't have it both ways....
    You might have a point, if I actually mentioned anything about state sponsored death squads. How about you stop making stuff up, and actually discuss what I'm saying?

Ya know, if anybody had the time it'd be interesting going over OB posts in threads regarding the Colombia 3 and see if his attitude toward their police, government and prosecutor is say, diametrically opposite his attitude toward Bolivia's.
    I have a gut feeling...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 903 ✭✭✭ilkhanid

1.The 'Colombia Three' were arrested and got a trial.They then got an appeal and the freedom to skeddadle out of the place.
    2. The Colombia Three had a previous history of being known IRA/SinnFein members and it was their Irish friends who were muddled, contradictory and secretive in their answers ('observing peace process....we have no representative in Cuba etc etc ) about them.

Which says absolutely nothing about OB's attitude toward that countries police, prosecution and government...

• Registered Users Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

I cannot believe that people are likening Gardai who were obviously out of their depth and hit a few people with a baton at that so called May Day riot with what appears to be from my point of view a pre-meditated stage managed execution (a badly stage managed one at that) to pave the way for a crackdown on government opponents.

Some peoples value sets are totally and utterly warped. I don't recall republicans being shot to death by Irish forces while they were in bed. They however had no qualms about murdering Gardai without warning when they had the opportunity.

Which says absolutely nothing about OB's attitude toward that countries police, prosecution and government...
    I see: so you fully accept everything the Bolivian police have said at face value, and unquestioningly endorse their actions?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,082 ✭✭✭lostexpectation

its seems to come down to who thinks morales deserves to be taken aout and those who don't and al of dwyers 'friends' seem to think he morales deserves what he gets.

I see: so you fully accept everything the Bolivian police have said at face value, and unquestioningly endorse their actions?
    I have not commented on whether I feel the Bolvian police have been truthful or not.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 160 ✭✭manaka

I watched that video link from the budapest times. Looks like (in my opinion anyways) the guys got up to see what the racket was and got taken out there and then, no questions asked. Do the media really get everywhere! scene contamination!? Which raises the question, will it need to be preserved? Is there any word of an international investigation? Didn't the chief of police agree and then disagree to it? It all smells...

• Registered Users Posts: 37,295 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

The "employer" has a civic duty to come forward. This will help investigators trace the movement of these individuals the days/weeks before the shooting.
    Oh, the employer may have come forward, and helping the Irish police, but that still doesn't mean they should give a public statement before the Bolivian police finishes their investigation.

I have not commented on whether I feel the Bolvian police have been truthful or not.
    Man, it sucks when people read your mind like that based on stuff you haven't even posted, doesn't it?

In case your irony detector only works when it suits you: I haven't commented on the country's "police, prosecution and government" in general; I've pointed out that there have been bare-faced lies and very strong evidence of a cover-up in this particular case. You and ONYD have seen fit to extrapolate that into an overall assessment of my feelings towards South American regimes in general, while studiously avoiding the points I've been making.

So, straight question: given that the police have clearly lied and appear to have engaged in a cover-up, do you still believe that Dwer et al were involved in a plot to assassinate Morales, and if so, why?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,530 ✭✭✭✭Sand

It all comes down to a cult of personality. Some people worship power, and charismatic individuals who wield it. So theyll accept whatever populist regimes like Morales say. Because Morales, and the cause he represents, *has* to be right. If that means police forces like the Gardai must be held to be at least as bad as Morales police force ( and it was Morales police who carried out this operation, very definitly Morales' men) then they will claim they are, no matter how ludicrous that is. As Orwell noted, being on the dole is horrible, hence it is no worse to be in the torture chambers of the Gestapo in the minds of the people he despised.

Its not clear what these guys were doing at the hotel or in Bolivia. Its becoming increasingly clear that the Morales regime is attempting to brazen its way out of this. Having started with maximum publicity and calls for international inquiries, theyve suddenly switched tack to denying reasonable requests by the Irish government to provide evidence for their claims, referencing the claims themselves as the justification for not explaining it.

Advertisement