Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish Retailers are still ripping off consumers with high prices.

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 535 ✭✭✭Skopzz

rubadub wrote: »
    So do you suggest they sell some items at a loss to attempt to match prices in other countries?
    They are responsible for setting their price, but not responsible for the price they pay for the product.

You need not worry, I dont see the retailers going bankrupt....

Putting VAT aside along with the other selling costs, theres still about a 10-20% price difference that goes unaccounted for. This was attributed to the price the Retailer charged.

If prices were reduced by about 6% the Retailers would not be at any major loss. During a recession, prices are generally reduced. Thats not happening in many shops.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭gerrycollins

Skopzz wrote: »
    You need not worry, I dont see the retailers going bankrupt....

Putting VAT aside along with the other selling costs, theres still about a 10-20% price difference that goes unaccounted for. This was attributed to the price the Retailer charged.

If prices were reduced by about 6% the Retailers would not be at any major loss. During a recession, prices are generally reduced. Thats not happening in many shops.

sorry mate but your barking up the wrong tree.

Up to the end of Feb there was 10 grocery shop close and they were the ones I know about.

the 10 to 20% diff you talk about comes from the supplier charging us more for the product than they do the northern stores.

actual price reductions are happening but because of Tesco's and their pricing war where they say they are now reducing such an item to a new lower price when in fact the actual price was inflated many shop wont sing and dance about reductions because it will be seen as false advertisment.

Honestly mate I will show you my books if you want.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,074 ✭✭✭Shelflife

Gerry and superscouser are just pulling a fast one on you all, they are retailers so they set their own margins and screw us all, they only employ minorities and pay them below the legal rate and feed them out of date product in the basement .

they are multi millionaires and holiday abroad 4-5 times ayear, they cant understand why more people dont just open up shops and make up prices do shag all work at no risk and make a fortune over night.

all the money that they take through the till is pure profit and they are only in the shop for the few seconds that you see them everyday when you pop in to buy your fags.

we are all mugs, it is the small retailer that has this country ruined, as soon as they return from their annual trip to the caymans (tax deductable) we should take them out and lynch them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭talkingclock

Shelflife sorry to say that but you're not nice and totally unfair. You are painting a completely wrong picture of them shopkeepers.

Our irish retailers are altruistic charities! They always have been and they always will be!
    They just want our best!
    Our money?!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39 Squidgie

Shelflife wrote: »
    Gerry and superscouser are just pulling a fast one on you all, they are retailers so they set their own margins and screw us all, they only employ minorities and pay them below the legal rate and feed them out of date product in the basement .

they are multi millionaires and holiday abroad 4-5 times ayear, they cant understand why more people dont just open up shops and make up prices do shag all work at no risk and make a fortune over night.

all the money that they take through the till is pure profit and they are only in the shop for the few seconds that you see them everyday when you pop in to buy your fags.

we are all mugs, it is the small retailer that has this country ruined, as soon as they return from their annual trip to the caymans (tax deductable) we should take them out and lynch them.

nice one shelfie!

i just booked me shopping for saturday online with ASDA and recessionbustours.ie are delivering it to me in Dublin for 20 notes. dont have to go up that motorway again thank god :D

• Advertisement

ha ha

• Registered Users Posts: 242 ✭✭Golfwidow

Hi Squidgie,
    Very interested in your delivery from Asda! How did it go? Do you give 20 euro to driver at delivery? Can you use laser card on asda website? Mine has maestro...I have successfully used my laser card instore in Asda on many occasions.Love Asda...way better value than Sainsburys IMO.

sorry mate but your barking up the wrong tree.

Up to the end of Feb there was 10 grocery shop close and they were the ones I know about.

the 10 to 20% diff you talk about comes from the supplier charging us more for the product than they do the northern stores.

actual price reductions are happening but because of Tesco's and their pricing war where they say they are now reducing such an item to a new lower price when in fact the actual price was inflated many shop wont sing and dance about reductions because it will be seen as false advertisment.

Honestly mate I will show you my books if you want.

Tesco have made a decent effort to reduce prices (unlike Dunnes or Super Valu) but some of their reductions were short lived.

The prices in the republic are going unchallenged and thats why some retailers are continuing to take chances by charging us more. The December exodus was the biggest wake-up call.

Just to add Gerry, thats the usual reason given by retailers when consumers question their high prices. The retailers pass the blame on to someone else!

I can remember asking my local retailer why his prices were increased and he immediately replied that his supplier upped the price, which I found quite misleading considering we are now in a recession. That happened 3 weeks ago!

Tesco have made a decent effort to reduce prices (unlike Dunnes or Super Valu) but some of their reductions were short lived.

The prices in the republic are going unchallenged and thats why some retailers are continuing to take chances by charging us more. The December exodus was the biggest wake-up call.

I cant find the thread but there is one here recently a poster has proof that the new reduced tesco prices were in fact that price a year ago but in the mean time they were increased so that their ads are justified again.

as for a companies price increases a lot of retailers just say that to get you(not personally) off their back it shows a lack of care for their customers. A company did recently put up their prices, i can show you proof now what do you want me to do with that price increase.it was significant btw

Sadly in the most recent reports on inflation grocery/main st prices fell by less that 1%. Most of the price decreases were in ESB,mortage repayments etc however there have been very little price increases in my place except for that company who I hope will reconsider it.

Some of the english based companies are starting to give sterling euro claitiry. GSK have recently reduced their prices for Lucozade,Ribena and some of their Health and Beauty products. Wyett an Irish based company have reduced their prices on SMA across the board by just less than €3 a large tin of baby formula. Just to put a bit of perspective on the SMA.

I went up north in Nov and because SMA has no VAT in either country it was a great example. In the north at the time a tin of SMA 900g equivalent euro was €8.50, when I came home I checked my cost prices and the same product was been sold into me at about €10.90. Now please figure that one out.

I know im only showing a small example but its a slow process, the smaller the retailer the slower the reduction will be in getting passed to you. However I wont lie there are probably retailers capitalising on the reductions and not passing them on however please dont include me in association with these because these are the guys who will ultimatley lose out.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,070 ✭✭✭ScouseMouse

I can remember asking my local retailer why his prices were increased and he immediately replied that his supplier upped the price, which I found quite misleading considering we are now in a recession.

Misleading? How do you know that? That wont stop the suppliers! Unilever put an increase through last week, and I am getting word that Gallahers who make Silk Cut and Benson cigs are putting one through as well to add to the budget increase.

Recession my backside, if the manufactures want to put an increase through, then they will.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,588 ✭✭✭Bluetonic

In the north at the time a tin of SMA 900g equivalent euro was €8.50, when I came home I checked my cost prices and the same product was been sold into me at about €10.90. Now please figure that one out.
    Not that it should need to be said over and over and over and over again but have you compared what the person stocking the shelf in NI and ROI are paid? etc..., etc..., etc..., etc..., etc..., etc..., etc..., etc..., etc..., etc..., etc..., etc..., etc..., etc..., etc..., etc..., etc..., etc...,

YOU ARE NOT COMPARING LIKE WITH LIKE

Just to add Gerry, thats the usual reason given by retailers when consumers question their high prices. The retailers pass the blame on to someone else!

I can remember asking my local retailer why his prices were increased and he immediately replied that his supplier upped the price, which I found quite misleading considering we are now in a recession. That happened 3 weeks ago!

Skopzz you have to remember that even in a recession prices and costs go up, wages will take another 2.5% rise this month under the partnership agreement, rates from the council have gone up and waste charges have gone up nearly 20% due to the bottom falling out of the cardboard market. add all them up and something has to give.

the small shops dont have the buying power that the multiples have we have to take what we get more or less, i know that i am working longer hours than ever to keep the show on the road, if you need a target hit tesco,aldi ,lidl,dunnes esp tesco the buying power that they have is incredible.

Bluetonic wrote: »
    Not that it should need to be said over and over and over and over again but have you compared what the person stocking the shelf in NI and ROI are paid? etc..., etc..., etc..., etc..., etc..., etc..., etc..., etc..., etc..., etc..., etc..., etc..., etc..., etc..., etc..., etc..., etc..., etc...,

YOU ARE NOT COMPARING LIKE WITH LIKE

I agree fully and completely and the dont forget to add on the rest etc, however my point was more to do with the fact that a store in the north supplied by a company God know from where,are able to sell a product far cheaper that I can buy it from the same company based out of Dublin.

Skopzz you have to remember that even in a recession prices and costs go up, wages will take another 2.5% rise this month under the partnership agreement, rates from the council have gone up and waste charges have gone up nearly 20% due to the bottom falling out of the cardboard market. add all them up and something has to give.

the small shops dont have the buying power that the multiples have we have to take what we get more or less, i know that i am working longer hours than ever to keep the show on the road, if you need a target hit tesco,aldi ,lidl,dunnes esp tesco the buying power that they have is incredible.

glad to see u made it back from the grand Prix in Maylasia, how was it???

wages will take another 2.5% rise this month under the partnership agreement

Thats the Fianna fail Governments fault for making our wage costs too high. Its also one of the reasons a lot of companies are now leaving ireland.

Thats the Fianna fail Governments fault for making our wage costs too high. Its also one of the reasons a lot of companies are now leaving ireland.

true , we are now reaping the "rewards" of the throw money at the problem tactics of FF.

glad to see u made it back from the grand Prix in Maylasia, how was it???

not as good as previous years, i just hate it when the fois gras and the caviar get wet , it takes the good out of the junket :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,909 ✭✭✭✭Wertz

Nonsense. As someone who shops in all three, I can tell you that in my locale at least, Dunnes and Supervalu are the ones lowering their prices (Dunnes especially) and Tesco are bumming and blowing about reductions whilst throwing random amounts of cent on to their range of goods, with some loss leaders (bogof, 2for1) to make it look as if they're lowering prices. They are even doing this on their own brand/basic item range.
    Listen I feel for smaller retailers and I understand the cost of doing business here, but I cannot forgive the actions of the larger multiples, who at least in Tesco's case can more or less dicatate what they want to pay to their suppliers and have been blatantly padding out their prices for years.

Here's a thought:
    Sainsbury's Lisburn last week. 12 pk of toilet roll from their Basics range. Cost €1.79 STG (approx €2)
    Tesco Dundalk 4 pk of toilet rolls €1.29 They had recently put the cost up from 99 cent (a 30% price increase on a basic essential).
    Before anyone asks, same ply, same length; both did the same job. Please please explain how unbranded f*cking bog roll can be over twice the price simply because it's being sold in this jurisdiction
    [edit] There was no pack of the same amount of rolls for direct comparison, that I was aware of...

Wertz wrote: »
    Nonsense. As someone who shops in all three, I can tell you that in my locale at least, Dunnes and Supervalu are the ones lowering their prices (Dunnes especially) and Tesco are bumming and blowing about reductions whilst throwing random amounts of cent on to their range of goods, with some loss leaders (bogof, 2for1) to make it look as if they're lowering prices. They are even doing this on their own brand/basic item range.
    Listen I feel for smaller retailers and I understand the cost of doing business here, but I cannot forgive the actions of the larger multiples, who at least in Tesco's case can more or less dicatate what they want to pay to their suppliers and have been blatantly padding out their prices for years.

Here's a thought:
    Sainsbury's Lisburn last week. 12 pk of toilet roll from their Basics range. Cost €1.79 STG (approx €2)
    Tesco Dundalk 4 pk of toilet rolls €1.29 They had recently put the cost up from 99 cent (a 30% price increase on a basic essential).
    Before anyone asks, same ply, same length; both did the same job. Please please explain how unbranded f*cking bog roll can be over twice the price simply because it's being sold in this jurisdiction
    [edit] There was no pack of the same amount of rolls for direct comparison, that I was aware of...

I dont know what prices are like in your location.

All I do see is that Dunnes Stores and Super Valu are often more expensive for grocery items than Tesco Are. But thats in Galway.

Tesco's price cuts are miniscule. For instance, they reduced a big box of Kellogs Corn Flakes to €1.66 for only 2 weeks and then brought it back up to the former price of €3.05. If they were really serious about cost cutting measures, they could reduce it permanently at a sensible price.

One thing I like about Tesco is they provide customers with self service checkouts. This helps ease checkout queues from those who take nearly 5 minutes to get a €20 note of of their wallet! Dunnes have not adapted to this technology, yet. I remember Ben Dunne (former CEO of Dunnes) ask irish shoppers to go north to force our retailers to cut prices.

• Advertisement

I dont know what prices are like in your location.

Tesco's price cuts are miniscule. For instance, they reduced a big box of Kellogs Corn Flakes to €1.66 for only 2 weeks and then brought it back up to the former price of €3.05. If they were really serious about cost cutting measures, they could reduce it permanently at a sensible price.

One thing I like about Tesco is they provide customers with self service checkouts. This helps ease checkout queues from those who take nearly 5 minutes to get a €20 note of of their wallet! Dunnes have not adapted to this technology, yet. I remember Ben Dunne (former CEO of Dunnes) ask irish shoppers to go north to force our retailers to cut prices.

the corn flakes reduction was probably just a promotion for two weeks,as for their self service checkouts they have their good and bad points but if your a no nonsense kinda guy they are the biz. you still get the clutz who looks at the screen and wonders.........

so long as that person is not in front your grand. but still the booze sales need to be authorised and tags still to be taken off, all the self service so is cut backs on actual jobs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,443 ✭✭✭Red Sleeping Beauty

rubadub wrote: »
    So do you suggest they sell some items at a loss to attempt to match prices in other countries?
    They are responsible for setting their price, but not responsible for the price they pay for the product.

Just like we're not responsible for what we pay for stuff or where we buy it :pac:
    soc wrote: »
    While I agree that overall we are charged high-prices for goods, your example of a price comparison is misleading. You can hardly compare a 'convenience store' price in ROI to a 'grocery store' in NI. 'Convenience stores' are ALWAYS more expensive than a 'grocery store'! That's a cost you pay for CONVENIENCE!

To support your argument, you should compare price of good in Tesco IRELAND to Tesco NORTHERN IRELAND.

My 2sense is that there's way too many shops in ROI or rather more specifically Dublin. Every other street corner has a Spar, Centra, Mace or Londis . You also have that in-betweeney Super Value

• Registered Users Posts: 2,556 ✭✭✭Slunk

My mate was looking at a bike.£370 works out at about €410. Same shop in dublin cc wanted €520. When he asked why it was on the site for £370 which is €410 the guy in the shop said different vat rate which is 7% difference. about 28euro. When he put it to the guy in the shop he stuttered and couldnt explain. Needlessto say he went elsewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭dh0661

Slunk wrote: »
    My mate was looking at a bike.£370 works out at about €410. Same shop in dublin cc wanted €520. When he asked why it was on the site for £370 which is €410 the guy in the shop said different vat rate which is 7% difference. about 28euro. When he put it to the guy in the shop he stuttered and couldnt explain.
    the higher rent/rates, energy, insurance and wages ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,496 ✭✭✭Mr. Presentable

One major factor you are failing to account.

UK market c60m consumers

Irl market c4.25m consumers.

Naturally there's a bulk discount......

In the end, if you buy at Spar expect to pay a premium. If you see what you regard as an extortionist price don't buy - pretty soon the price will drop or the shop will close.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,772 ✭✭✭Mark Hamill

nipplenuts wrote: »
    One major factor you are failing to account.

UK market c60m consumers

Irl market c4.25m consumers.

Naturally there's a bulk discount......

But wouldn't it be countered by the fact there the Ireland market has to cater for about 1/15th of the English market (and therefore total number of shops to run, people to employ etc is 1/15?)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 217 ✭✭Alcatel

But wouldn't it be countered by the fact there the Ireland market has to cater for about 1/15th of the English market (and therefore total number of shops to run, people to employ etc is 1/15?)
    On a per shop basis we have higher costs - wages, rates, etc. Also, when you're buying the products themselves you get a better rate the more you buy - buy 100 and get one price, buy 10,000 and get another completely.

• Site Banned Posts: 5,904 ✭✭✭parsi

the corn flakes reduction was probably just a promotion for two weeks,as for their self service checkouts they have their good and bad points but if your a no nonsense kinda guy they are the biz. you still get the clutz who looks at the screen and wonders.........

Often that clutz is wearing a blue check shirt ....

I would guess that the self-service have an operational rate of around 50%.

If your transaction needs intervention then it can take a while for the message to get through the chatter of the folk who are supposed to be supervising the tills.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,840 ✭✭✭10000maniacs

The VAT rate charged on groceries varies across the three bands with most ordinary shopping being at the 0.0% rate. Your example has chosen one that attracts the 21.5% rate as a luxury good here and 0% in the UK.
    He is talking about a bar of chocolate which is 95c here and 45c up there.
    The 21.5% differential in VAT only accounts for 20c off the price. Who is pocketing the other 30c?
    There are too many apologists on this forum for the scandalous prices being charged down here. I had a post a few weeks ago here about being charged €1.10 for a Frys Chocolate Cream in the Spar across the road from Connolly. This situation has to be sorted out and soon.:cool:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,065 ✭✭✭Fighting Irish

He is talking about a bar of chocolate which is 95c here and 45c up there.
    The 21.5% differential in VAT only accounts for 20c off the price. Who is pocketing the other 30c?
    There are too many apologists on this forum for the scandalous prices being charged down here. I had a post a few weeks ago here about being charged €1.10 for a Frys Chocolate Cream in the Spar across the road from Connolly. This situation has to be sorted out and soon.:cool:

Most of these "apologists" are the ones who don't buy and then bitch

Advertisement