Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish Retailers are still ripping off consumers with high prices.

Options
13»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,661 ✭✭✭mickman

just back from the states where you can get bottle of beer in the shop for 65 us cent. foot long subway sandwich for 5 dollars (4 euro or less), the list goes on and on. everything in the US is cheaper than rip off ireland

• Registered Users Posts: 32,379 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Slunk wrote: »
    My mate was looking at a bike.£370 works out at about €410. Same shop in dublin cc wanted €520. When he asked why it was on the site for £370 which is €410 the guy in the shop said different vat rate which is 7% difference. about 28euro. When he put it to the guy in the shop he stuttered and couldnt explain. Needlessto say he went elsewhere.
    Should have talked to the manager, I am shocked the guy didn't know why there was such a price difference. The RRP on bikes is much higher here than the UK (i.e. the wholesale price also is). A lot of stuff like bikes are shipped in containers to the UK and then onto here. A mate of mine got a bike from guy he knows who is the main distributor for them here. He got it at cost yet another guy in work got the same bike cheaper, including delivery from a UK online shop. And of course a online shop can be run out of a bedroom, I got my bike online and it was shipped straight from the manufacturer, the bike was made in the UK, got about 40% off the price it would have been here

AGAIN people are presuming that all retailers, all around the world, are paying the exact same wholesale prices. Crazy assumptions going on...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,226 ✭✭✭taram

mickman wrote: »
    just back from the states where you can get bottle of beer in the shop for 65 us cent. foot long subway sandwich for 5 dollars (4 euro or less), the list goes on and on. everything in the US is cheaper than rip off ireland
    :rolleyes:China is cheaper again :P Personally I'd prefer to pay that bit more for my subway and not have to scrape all my savings together if I break my leg :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭Tech3

The retailers are a small part of the problem. The prices to run a store have a major effect on the end price of goods. Suppliers can also overcharge the amount of goods.

Advertisement