Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Champix/Chantix - anyone got any information?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,783 ✭✭✭rugbyman

My wife has smoked non stop for over 30 years . last ten years I thought were 20 per day but may have been 40.
    Started champix on holiday in august. gave up cigs entirely in Early sept and is off since. coming to end of 2 nd prescription next week. the plan is to proceed without another one.
    All family proud of her.

Still fancies a cig but has not given in. seems to be an all or nothing thing.
    Good Luck.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 Camogie Girl

Fair play to her - sometimes I just think it is the habit of doing something that get my mind thinking about them. But I had a glass of wine last night watching TV and didn't even think of smoking and that was with my boyfriend coming in and out of the balcony reaking of them! Yeay:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 Nan

Hi Everyone,

Just to give you all a heads up: I am still nicotine free after 20 months.

A dyed-in-the-wool smoker for almost 40 years, I have tried and failed to quit several times. This time it worked!

I feel better in subtle and not so subtle ways. My body feels alive again; my muscles feel smoother and more elastic; I can stretch like I could 20 years ago; I have more energy; I sleep like a log; I am calmer and I look younger with rosy (yes, indeed) cheeks, and not to sneeze at in these days of gone through the roof heating bills, I am warmer because my blood circulation is vastly improved.

Do I still crave a smoke now and then? YES, I do!

It's not a physical want but a psychological desire that pops up when I am in "new" situations where, before, I would normally have smoked. It's as if my mind shouts, "Hey, it's time to smoke."

I look at the desire, allow it to pass through and over me and then it is gone.

I know from past and bitter experience, as I am sure most of you do, that if I have just one cigaret, I am a dead duck.

Keep going everyone,

Nan

PS: I only took Champix for three months and I tapered off very carefully and very slowly. I am not using any nicotine plasters or gum or what not.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 mam2to

Well done Nan ~ inspiration indeed and Rugby Man. Was made redundant on Friday and have interview on Monday, My Mam in hospital on Thursday and big re union on Saturday AM I MENTAL what a time to giveup.

Anyway smoking so so much less, and to be fair to myself and give myself every chance of succeeding I have decided to leave it until exactly day 15 to quit. All major life changes over then one way or another.

I really do think this will work! So keep posting everyone! Best of luck!!!! :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 35 DonkeyPunch

I was a smoker for nearly 20 years, I started Champix last January and I have been off them since. Happy Days. I would highly recomend them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,033 ✭✭✭Snowbie

Snowbie wrote: »
    Well done to all who are off the smokes.

I have been taking Champix for last 6 days, last 0.5mg tonight before the 1mg tomorrow morning. I was never a heavy smoker, never more than 10-12 a day but 10-12 more than i should have been in the first place.

I'm on the sticks 15 years but found it very hard (as most) to kick the habit, off them for 2 months last year but slowly back on them. I tried most things to give them up but will power always succeeded until this year when i tried a few times but got nowhere for some reason.

Anyway hopefully Champix works a treat for me as i have cut down already in the morning with not wanting to light up but the usual elevenses cup of coffee and a cig routine is just too hard to overcome atm.

I will reply at the same time next week to let you all know how it is going. :)
    Just over a week on, I had my last smoke on Friday night which was my 14th day on Champix. Thats 3 full days off them now without a bother.

I take one tablet in the morning at breakfast (8am) and one just after my dinner around 6pm. I got no side effects to date from taking these and i feel i have overcome my first step which is deciding the quit date.

For now i feel great but waiting for the onset of withdrawl symptons which always affected me if giving up before using nicotine or non nicotine methods (probably like everyone else though)
    It's encouraging news to hear most people are finding Champix successful for them, i have found them working a treat for me and finding every smoke as the days past last week less enjoyable.

The coffee in the morning are smoke free, which was a tough one to break but with ease in the end.:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 Camogie Girl

Hi All,

Just an update on how I am doing. I am 15 days off them now and going strong. Sometimes still think about them but not in an addicted way. Boyfriend is still smoking so I am extra proud that I am doing this with smokes around me.

How is everyone doing?

• Registered Users Posts: 7 johnoreilly

Hi.

Todays my first day on them. and i have to say i felt a little sick this morning after taking it. but i have had 3 smokes and its nearly 1pm. i dont feel cravings, even now while im thinking of them the smokes i had this morning where out of habbit and it felt even that i did it out of habbit cause i got a call on my mobile in work. i awlays pop out for a smoke :)

i will post a reply in a few days to update my progress.

Day 10 here we go......

Cheers

John

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 glenfarne

Delighted to say I am over 4 months off the fags and nicorette gum (which I found harder to give up) Heading to New york and canada for an 8 day tour paid for by NOT SMOKING.:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 7 johnoreilly

well this is my 2nd day off them. and so far ive passed my wife smoking and and turned down going for smokes with the guys in work not a bother. i do get a few cravings but i just smell my clothes and how fresh they smell. and deep breath and im not weezing as much. my legs dont have that rotten feeling anymore.

hell yeeehaaaa it feels so much better already. and ive saved 16 euro :)
    tomorrow is day 3.

yes the champix make me feel a little sick but im just dealing with it. Its mostly the morning time but not every morning, how ever it passes after about 30 mins. And i find it worse on an empty stomach.
    I got really really depressed there last week and noticed it is a symptom of the tablets, but i just kept strong as i told my self i have to do it.

rock on!! :)

Cheers
    John

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 28 alimo

hi am just getting ready to start on them tommorow , there is another thread running with lots of people who are using them to give up

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28 alimo

Champix aka Chantix/Varenicline is name of it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40 kitty_dillon1@h

i got a prescription for the first month of Champix yesterday and am planning to get it over the weekend and start it next week,maybe Monday.smoking about 12/13 years 20-30 a day,was off them for a year and a half a few years ago through hypnotism but ended up starting again.
    how have people been finding the increased appetite situation? i think however you give up smoking you'll always want to eat more to replace the smoking!!am hoping i can manage my eating!! i think im looking forward to being off them,hope it works well!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 alscan

I was taking this over a year ago and it gave me terrible mood swings! I was better off on the fags than the way they made me behave.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 190 ✭✭SMK

i got a prescription for the first month of Champix yesterday and am planning to get it over the weekend and start it next week,maybe Monday.smoking about 12/13 years 20-30 a day,was off them for a year and a half a few years ago through hypnotism but ended up starting again.
    how have people been finding the increased appetite situation? i think however you give up smoking you'll always want to eat more to replace the smoking!!am hoping i can manage my eating!! i think im looking forward to being off them,hope it works well!!

I stopped smoking (using Champix) and started a diet on the same day and within the first 8 months I lost 2 stone and stayed off the cigarettes!! So, it is possible!! I really didn't want to start chewing gum/sweets, etc as a replacement when I initially gave up cigarettes. I think the main thing for the first few weeks is to distract yourself when you think you want a cigarette. I also changed what I drank - I used to drink beer/barcardi and now I mostly drink red wine and I never associate drinking wine with cigarettes. It's all about fooling the mind initially!! Best of luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,143 ✭✭✭Tzetze

I took Champix for 10 weeks last September/October. They worked a treat as stopsmoking.ie can attest;
    You quit 6 months, 1 day, 7 hours, 24 minutes & 52 seconds ago. You have *not* smoked 3,646 cigs, saved EUR 1,468 and added 1.80 weeks to your life.

I put on some weight, peaking at +7kg. I'm now 5kg heavier than when I started on the Champix, and working on getting back down to where I was. The weight doesn't concern me too much. I'm just really happy to finally be rid of the fags.

I stopped smoking (using Champix) and started a diet on the same day and within the first 8 months I lost 2 stone and stayed off the cigarettes!!

fair play to you!!if i can do that well ill be delighted!!im not majorly concerned about putting on weight but i would prefer not too, ive had loads of friends offer to come jogging etc.. with me so have no excuse!!!am away to NY Friday til the following Wednesday so im going to start Champix the day after i get back!!nervous and excited!!:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28 orlaj

was champix not banned ???:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 26,061 ✭✭✭✭Terry

orlaj wrote: »
    was champix not banned ???:confused:
    Not here anyway.
    I don't know about other countries though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 30 loumac

loumac wrote: »
    My brother is taking it & I'm going to start this week.I was always wary of Zyban & this seems way better. My brother is late 40's, has been on Champix for a month & said the cravings stopped after a matter of days. He really doesn't want a smoke! There are no side effects that he notes other than mild heart burn (which may be unrelated) Beat's cancer!:eek:
    Just flicking through my old posts and came across this old nugget! Since then I have tried Champix and it made me extremely nauseous. I have the stomach of an ox and this made me feel sea sick. I could never take them on an empty stomach either! Recently my friend tried them and was reacquainted with his lunch on two occasions.

On the upside, I got off the filthy fags mid Jan 09 and proud to say it's pure stubborness keeping me off them this time! (18 years a smoker and a month was the best I could do with crutches) It has taken me this long to realise what all these other converted smokers were saying is true. "If you want to give up you will get off them"
    I do not want to come off as an arrogant poacher turned game keeper here but rather take it as encouragement from someone who always stuck her fingers up at that idea! I chain smoked for the last month or so and really started to look and feel like crap. I had to hit rock bottom with the straights to literally sicken myself off them. (I've been eating like a savage since!)

In the words of Obama... Yes YOU can!!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 174 ✭✭tattoo man

yahoo 4 weeks in champix and i on a roll,having the weirdest dreams ever,but there most enjoyable,just realy tired at times,and i mean drained,but sure ill get over that,so after 20 years the weed and the nicotine is gone,and to be honest i know its only for weeks,but i can feel that extra breath...
    will report again soon

well i started Champix last Thursday,hevet been smoking as much for the last 2 days,they dont taste great but im not hating them yet!ive set my stop date for the 14th day of the tablets cos i dont want to stop smoking and realise im still craving them. and if before then i really cant stomach them ill stop smoking then.really hope they work,i really want to stop smoking now!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 190 ✭✭SMK

well i started Champix last Thursday,hevet been smoking as much for the last 2 days,they dont taste great but im not hating them yet!ive set my stop date for the 14th day of the tablets cos i dont want to stop smoking and realise im still craving them. and if before then i really cant stomach them ill stop smoking then.really hope they work,i really want to stop smoking now!!

Hi Kitty,

Just remember you will still get cravings but just because you have cravings doesn't mean the Champix isn't working! The Champix will make the cravings a lot easier for you to handle.

The Champix will make the cravings a lot easier for you to handle.

thats what im hoping for!!only had 3 cigarettes so far this morning and usually i would have had about 5 or 6 and would be shortly about to have 2 more on break in work. not going to go for one on my morning break and am going to see if i can go without one at lunch and in the afternoon and see how i get on!! :D

well lads i decided to stop last night,only smoked about 5 or 6 yesterday and didnt enjoy most of them so when i finished the box i had about 8 pm yesterday i decided that was it. im excited about it now to be honest because im sick of needing to go for a fag and watching the clock to see whenill get out for one and all that and of the money im spending on them!!!would have liked one this morning after my breakfast but that passed. feck it time to stop the excuses and just do it.will let ye know how i go!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭bunglemark2

I have a prescription for Champix from my GP but am nervous as hell about starting it. I Google'd it and found the following site with user experience listed
    http://www.thehealthierlife.co.uk/natural-health-articles/healthy-living/champix-side-effects-quit-smoking-01005.html
    That's pretty scary, I have to say....
    Anyway, perhaps there's a different "mix" or they've taken out the mind-altering element over here :D
    Soooo.....a few questions: if you start it (I have a presc. for 1 month) do you have to keep going back for repeat prescriptions ? How many all in all on average are typical ? What side effects have people noticed ? And what's this idea of "picking a day to stop smoking" - do you continue to smoke while you're taking the wee tablets ?
    Thanks
    An anxious smoker :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 glenfarne

I am now almost a year off cigarettes and nicorette gum which was almost the same problim. I had no side effects at all from champex and stayed with it for a month I sold on the second month as I felt I didnt need it. I rarley think of the fags as the smoking ban all over the europe and on airlines has helped. I dont hate cigarettes but I would hate myself if I went back on them My health is brilliant and I feel I am giving my body a chance, I gave them up as i would hate in a few years time to be told I had a FEW MONTHS TO LIVE because you smoked, xxx best of luck everyone, I am drinking lke a fish now yahoo......

• Registered Users Posts: 46 thomas.oleary

Started Champix 20 Days ago and the cravings stopped after maybe day 6 or 7... Only problem I found was the boredom smoke... I didn't need to have a ciggie most days but I had one just for the hell of it to pass maybe 10 mins of my day... I had mild vomiting usually after dinner but that only lasted 3 days but had (and still have) a major apatite loss... Only certain foods will do but its mainly all junk!

I found I had to stop drinking also because when I was out on the town even with my non smoking friends, I had to go and have a smoke, But giving up the drink is not such a bad idea either may I say...

The vivid dreams are one thing but what happened for me is I never used to remember my dreams from as far back as I can remember but since I started taking Champix I have been remembering them, Not only remembering them but they feel so real, I have a dream and it seems like a normal day hanging around with my Gf, And when I say something to her like "remember when we did such and such a thing"... She would have no idea because it turns out I dream't it haha, I found this quite fun :P

All I can say to people out there looking to start is do you research on them be aware of the side affects and make sure you tell you doctor of each one to make sure it's all good and good luck!

Make your family and friends aware that you are trying to give them up and get as much support as you can.

Keep smoking until you don't need to anymore even if it is past your quit date! Unless your down to one a day and just can't seem to get off it, just cut it out.

To everyone who has tried and failed on them, Unlucky they really do make a difference, Wait a few months, Get your mind straight on going on them to give up and try again!! Good luck if you do so!

And last but not least to all of you who have tried and succeeded, Well done!! I'm so happy I'm off them and even tho its only been such a short period for myself I have the utmost faith! Take care of yourselves and enjoy the extra 8 or so years your giving yourself back!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 magicangelisa

I have been on Champix for eight days now and just lost my morning pill down the toilet bowl after severe stomach pain and nausea!
    NOTE: DON'T TAKE CHAMPIX ON AN EMPTY STOMACH AGAIN!

Otherwise been feeling pretty good, this is my second attempt.
    First time I set my quit day at day 14, was smoking even more leading up to that and not really enjoying them but sucking away and "getting no love" as it blocks the nicotime receptors in your brain.

I remember thinking "how can I wake up tomorrow morning and just quit?", but I did.
    I smoked my last cig the night before, woke up - no cravings, all my friends could smoke around me and it didn't even bother me at all. I just had no desire for them. Went for two whole months without cigs and thought that seeing as the nicotime was out of my system I could stop the Champix. A couple of weeks later I was back on the cigs - grrrr!

So, round two now... and I am determined to keep taking them, the nausea is not great and a bit of constipation, but I have alleviated that by taking a tspn of magnesium chloride in water each morning (great inside cleanser!) and I know these annoying side effects put a lot of people I know who have tried Champix off, but what would you prefer?
    Champix is temporary. The side effects of smoking if you keep smoking can last the rest of your life and eventually kill you - cancer, bronchitis, stinky breath, premature ageing, emphysema, wrinkles, heart disease... etc etc.
    Even if I'm on the Champix for six months, I'd rather suffer the inconvenience of a bit of digestive disturbances for a bit than risk dying early all for the sake of a puff on some stupid cigarette.
    Anyway, my advice would be don't panic if you're still smoking like a chimney right up to your quit day, the Champix takes time to build up. The doctor said it would reduce my urge to smoke but I found the opposite, I smoked even more leading up to quit day as my body was wondering why it wasn't getting it's "hit", but on quit day all that stopped. I t was like magic.
    This time aorund I haven't bought a pack of smokes for the last few days but have still been bumming smokes of my friends - about 3 a day.
    Quit day is today - I'm over it!!!!
    Wish me luck!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 384 ✭✭terenc

A pal of mine recommended champix. I have tried everything but have always failed to stop smoking, in fact anytime I tried to gave them up
    and went back on them I ended up SMOKING MORE , 30 a day.
    I decided to gave it one more shot, I went to my doctor, he told me the pros and cons of taking Champix and then I looked it up on the net. Well no matter what medication you take they have to gave you the worst sanario and what could happen to you.
    I am in my 4th week on champix and off smokes 3 weeks, smoked about 20 in the 1st week and then just stopped because the cigarett did ent taste the same? I felt calm and relaxed in the 1st week and dreamed a lot. Woke up quite a lot in the 2nd week, disturbed sleep patterns nearly thought of chucking them up but now am in my 3rd week and feeling a lot better I seem to have more control over the cravings for that smoke. If I do wake up at night time now I just think of how every night I would wake up coughing my lungs up and wishing I could stop smoking :)

Advertisement