Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Voy or Ent, which is worse

• 15-03-2009 1:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,176 ✭✭✭

Ent was consistently bad, had the Quantum Leap guy as captain, featured forgettable characters, made no sense and introduced the lamentable xindi story arc

Voy was also consistently bad, had Neelix, featured slightly less forgettable characters, ruined the threat of the Borg and had Threshold as an episode.

I'd be leaning somewhat towards Voy as the worst of the two from a position of ignorance insofar as I've only ever watched Ent casually, so I may be unaware of any travesties it committed on the scale of Threshold. Threshold was awful for the fact that it mangled the mega arc of humanity's evolution to Q like status by reducing Paris and Janeway to Newts. In later episodes the Borg were p1ssed on.

Voy or Ent 18 votes

Voy
    0% 0 votes
    Ent
    100% 18 votes

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,656 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Enterprise - definitely!
    The only watchable episode in the entire series (imho) was the 2-part "In a Mirror, Darkly" which actually worked partly BECAUSE the characters were complete opposites (and therefore more interesting!)

Voyager had a lot of good episodes I thought. Despite the slating they get here, I liked most of the Borg episodes (the 2-parter with the Hansen's, even the finalé), the "Year of Hell" or "Message in a bottle" with the Prometheus to name a few.

Janeway never annoyed me to be honest.. and when you look at the first choice for the role (as someone linked to here a while back), I think we should all thank our lucky stars that Mulgrew got it in the end!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,176 ✭✭✭nyarlothothep

True, I think it was the way the Janeway character was scripted more than anything else.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,729 ✭✭✭Pride Fighter

Where is the DS9 option??

lol. DS9 was fairly decent though imo, well its better than Voy or Ent. Choosing between Voy and Ent is like choosing between sh1t sandwich and a giant douche respectively.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,187 ✭✭✭✭IvySlayer

DS9 was only good because of the war.

Seasons 1 and 2 were awful.

I liked Voyager. The Borg were overused and were easy to beat, and the finale was utter bullplop. Other than that, it was good. (even the writers of Threshold said Threshold was awful and they asked fans to simply ignore it)

• Advertisement

Voy also had that klingon episode near the end of its run. I remember thinking, "why did I just waste 1 hour of my life watching this."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

Voyager - for Janeway, Neelix and the annoying one who used hang around him, for complete failure to even attempt to develop the characters, for crap stories, for the poxy Kazon.....dire bilge, the lot of it.

Another thing I forgot to mention about Voy was the overuse of epic music. Sometimes episodes would just sound like orchestral music videos. Very intrusive and counterproductive to the drama. When you use epic, "hey we're going to do this!" music all the time the effect wears off very quickly.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,743 ✭✭✭Rawr

Dang nyarlothothep!
    That's one hell of a head-scratcher you present! :D

Which is worse? Right off, my instinct is to vote ENT, and so I did.
    I would damn near say that they are equally bad, but Enterprise gets the vote. The reason is...although VOY turned out to be a horrible mistake...with ENT, they really should have known better.

I recon making mistakes is a lesser sin than taking the p*ss with your established audience in a vain attempt to get new viewers (such as removing 'Star Trek' from the title)

Voy also had that klingon episode near the end of its run. I remember thinking, "why did I just waste 1 hour of my life watching this."

*shudder* The token Klingon episode....

Generic Klingon Leader: "<Insert Generic Klingon banter> She carries the Ku'la'macht <Insert Generic Klingon banter> Honor! <Generic Klingon banter>"

Generic Klingon jerk: "No she doesn't <Insert Generic Klingon banter> Ku'la'macht <Insert Generic Klingon banter>"

Generic Klingon Leader: <Insert Generic Klingon banter> GRRRR!!!

Generic Kingon Jerk: "We fight! <Insert Generic Klingon banter> Ba'thleth!

Generic Klingon Leader: Ka'plagh! <Insert Generic Klingon banter> I beat you!....Ha!

• Advertisement

I never noticed that. In which case Enterprise isn't star trek, which just leaves Voy as the worst series ever hehe. On the other hand this really pushes Enterprise up in the worst series ever stakes as they omitted Star Trek from the title, which is sacrilege. The only good thing about Ent were the female leads. And I say that because their characters were the only good ones in the whole show.

I never noticed that. In which case Enterprise isn't star trek, which just leaves Voy as the worst series ever hehe. On the other hand this really pushes Enterprise up in the worst series ever stakes as they omitted Star Trek from the title, which is sacrilege. The only good thing about Ent were the female leads. And I say that because their characters were the only good ones in the whole show.

It seems that Berman and Co. tried to get fresh viewership initially, by only calling the series 'Enterprise' until they got through the second season. This appeared to be little more than a marketing ploy to get viewers who would normally ignore (or avoid) anything with the 'Star Trek' title.

When this didn't seem to work, and even fans were starting not to watch, they put 'Star Trek' back into the title, in what looks like an attempt to keep Trek's established audience watching. This change appears to have been retroactive, and applied to all episodes back to the first one. Thus you may not have noticed it.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,488 ✭✭✭Goodshape

Voyager was worse at times but it had it's occasional moments.

Enterprise was just a mistake. Gets my vote.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,982 ✭✭✭Johnny Storm

Rawr wrote: »
    It seems that Berman and Co. tried to get fresh viewership initially, by only calling the series 'Enterprise' until they got through the second season. This appeared to be little more than a marketing ploy to get viewers who would normally ignore (or avoid) anything with the 'Star Trek' title.

When this didn't seem to work, and even fans were starting not to watch, they put 'Star Trek' back into the title, in what looks like an attempt to keep Trek's established audience watching. This change appears to have been retroactive, and applied to all episodes back to the first one. Thus you may not have noticed it.

In my tiny little mind "Enterprise" is non-canonical. I just wish they'd left "Star Trek" off the 4th season too.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,972 ✭✭✭✭chopperbyrne

Lets put it in perspective.

Voyager went seven seasons and for the most part I could happily watch it as some throwaway sci-fi entertainment.

Could you have sat through a further three seasons of Enterprise?

I know I couldn't.

• Registered Users Posts: 504 ✭✭✭Svalbard

IvySlayer wrote: »
    DS9 was only good because of the war.

Well, it had more than the war, but the war did underpin seasons 3 to 7. I liked this, it gave the show a more 'epic' feeling, like other TV shows set at the time of an important moment in history....

Tries to think of examples............................................................

M*A*S*H...........?

Oh, you know what I mean!!!!

P.S. Voyager waaaayyyy better than ENT. ENT was uniformly dull. VOY had some good moments.

• Registered Users Posts: 482 ✭✭oneillMan999

Lets put it in perspective.

Voyager went seven seasons and for the most part I could happily watch it as some throwaway sci-fi entertainment.

Could you have sat through a further three seasons of Enterprise?

I know I couldn't.

well said!!

enterprise just never felt like star trek, like they were travelling tru the galaxy in search of strange new worlds, at least voyager had that feeling now and again, it actually wasnt bad and i would also put voyager ahead of deep space nine which i didnt get at all....maybe im just old school :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭azezil

well said!!

enterprise just never felt like star trek, like they were travelling tru the galaxy in search of strange new worlds, at least voyager had that feeling now and again, it actually wasnt bad and i would also put voyager ahead of deep space nine which i didnt get at all....maybe im just old school :cool:
    But Voyager came after DS9 :P

Ent gets my vote. I did actually enjoy it towards the end of season 2 onwards, but it wasn't proper Star Trek.

azezil wrote: »
    But Voyager came after DS9 :P

Ent gets my vote. I did actually enjoy it towards the end of season 2 onwards, but it wasn't proper Star Trek.

I know, what i meant was voyager would be considered to be more like the original star trek series then DS9 was, hence its "old school" star trek. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭azezil

I know, what i meant was voyager would be considered to be more like the original star trek series then DS9 was, hence its "old school" star trek. ;)

No no, in YOUR endo. *nods*

• Advertisement

whatever dude :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,401 ✭✭✭✭Anti

Rawr wrote: »
    *shudder* The token Klingon episode....

Generic Klingon Leader: "<Insert Generic Klingon banter> She carries the Ku'la'macht <Insert Generic Klingon banter> Honor! <Generic Klingon banter>"

Generic Klingon jerk: "No she doesn't <Insert Generic Klingon banter> Ku'la'macht <Insert Generic Klingon banter>"

Generic Klingon Leader: <Insert Generic Klingon banter> GRRRR!!!

Generic Kingon Jerk: "We fight! <Insert Generic Klingon banter> Ba'thleth!

Generic Klingon Leader: Ka'plagh! <Insert Generic Klingon banter> I beat you!....Ha!

You missed out the bloodwine ! Do you know klingons at all ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39 Badhbh

I like ST Voyager. Ok some of the characters should've been left out like Neelix and his sidekick.
    I loved Janeway, and Tuvok. And especially Seven of Nine, brillant character.
    I didn't like the way Chakotey often questioned Janeways authority, I don't think that was realistic. Even in todays military men don't questions women of higher rank without getting in trouble. Diffinity not in the distant future. Riker would never do that with Picard.

Some episodes were bad or boring especially the final one. But mostly it was good.

Chakotay was a maquis though originally and they were stranded in deep space, I think the protocol would lax just a bit. I distantly recall Riker sometimes disagreeing with Picard but he knew when to back down. Also Shelby challenged Rikers authority on several occasions, though she never got reprimanded. Data did however discipline Worf for questioning his command decisions in Gambit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,093 ✭✭✭Amtmann

Badhbh wrote: »
    And especially Seven of Nine, brillant character.

Are you for real?

Furet wrote: »
    Are you for real?

:D

Some people feel that way I guess.
    Can't stand her personally, nor can I stand the real premise for her creation, to keep the 12-year-old male demographic hooked.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

Janeway would probably humiliate Picard in a fight.

Bah, Janeway was a retard, all solutions to problems used magic or brute force. Picard wouldn't descend to fist fighting, he uses diplomacy and intelligence to win his battles.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,420 ✭✭✭Magic Eight Ball

Chakotay was a maquis though originally and they were stranded in deep space, I think the protocol would lax just a bit. I distantly recall Riker sometimes disagreeing with Picard but he knew when to back down. Also Shelby challenged Rikers authority on several occasions, though she never got reprimanded. Data did however discipline Worf for questioning his command decisions in Gambit.

Let’s not forget Major Kiras and sisko’s rocky beginnings. :pac:

Honestly, Voyager wasn’t that bad, for all its flaws I enjoyed it for the most part.

• Advertisement

Let’s not forget Major Kiras and sisko’s rocky beginnings. :pac:

I recon that's mostly because her character was a little one-dimensional in the beginning. I can imagine the creation process:

Berman: Ok, so it looks like Michelle Forbes won't play as Ensign Ro in this new series.
    Pillar: God damn it! Now what are we gonna do? I don't like making new characters...it's hard work...
    Berman: Well...why not just use the exact same character, but give her a different name?
    Pillar: I like it.
    Berman: And to save time, let's just give her one character trait.
    Pillar: 'Pissed off b*tch'?
    Berman: Perfect, let's break for lunch.
    (Strange voice): aaaaaaaaaaaaarg!
    Pillar: What the hell was that?
    Berman: Huh? Oh, don't mind that. It's just Roddenberry's ghost. He goes nuts like that fairly often latley....
    Pillar: Ah alright...

Advertisement