Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Shopping in Northern Ireland

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 604 ✭✭✭hoganpoly

Famous45 wrote: »
    I drive up from Drogheda, although in recent weeks I've gone onwards to Sprucefield in Lisburn which is a further 30 mins away and a straight road basically the entire way. Was in Sprucefield today and again the difference between Sainsburys there compared to Newry is frightening.

Anyhow, to get into Newry, The A1 combines with the M1 just passed Dundalk, it's just one road the entire way, you'll come to 1 lane on the A1 approaching Newry and onto a roundabout the 3rd exit brings you down into Newry.

If you take exit 2 it will take you to Belfast direction and 10 mins outside Newry is a place named The Outlet(bridgewater park), many stores located there for clothes etc. and on the same road 20 mins further is Sprucefield.

When you come off exit 3 into Newry you'll do down a hill and eventually meet several traffic lights, on the right coming down the hill you will see the Quays shopping centre this is where Sainsburys is located - when you get to the bottom on the hill you will most likely see Debenhams 1st on the right. On the left is the Buttercrane Centre.

take it that the biggest sainsburys then is in lisburn?what about asda been to one in enniskillen but any nearer ones driving up this week :D

• Registered Users Posts: 19,307 ✭✭✭✭alastair

hoganpoly wrote: »
    take it that the biggest sainsburys then is in lisburn?what about asda been to one in enniskillen but any nearer ones driving up this week :D

If you're going to be in Sprucefield/Lisburn - the best Asda to head to would be the one in Andytown - Westwood Shopping Centre - the Kennedy Way (A55) turn off on the M1 heading into belfast - literally a few minutes up the road from Sprucefield.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,439 ✭✭✭Richard

alastair wrote: »
    If you're going to be in Sprucefield/Lisburn - the best Asda to head to would be the one in Andytown - Westwood Shopping Centre - the Kennedy Way (A55) turn off on the M1 heading into belfast - literally a few minutes up the road from Sprucefield.

Put BT11 9BQ into your Sat Nav or google maps.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 jaykai

esel wrote: »
    20 minutes (even outside rush times) would be almost impossible! During rush times, you'd want to allow at least 45 minutes for this route.

That's because Newry is a city! Was designated as such a few years ago.

Great post! :rolleyes: Keep up that standard and you'll make a load of friends here.

Yeah Whateva!:p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 clareboy75

Dear All,
    Has anyone heard of value tours travelling from Galway once a week to enniskillen. I got a flyer in the door and it just says to contact a Do they buy the shopping do you have to go etc anyone heard of this offer:confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭dlambirl

clareboy75 wrote: »
    Dear All,
    Has anyone heard of value tours travelling from Galway once a week to enniskillen. I got a flyer in the door and it just says to contact a Do they buy the shopping do you have to go etc anyone heard of this offer:confused:

Why dont you ring the number on the flyer and find out?!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,132 ✭✭✭Moanin

or Google it seeing that you are on the net!

• Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭jerrehpips

how far from kildare roughly is newry?
    And where abouts in newry is the best place to find crates of cans of beer or bulmers/magners?
    Sorry for changing the subject a tad bit there, we all have our first post sometime...:D

And where abouts in newry is the best/cheapest place to find crates of cans of beer or bulmers/magners?
    Sorry for changing the subject a tad bit there, we all have our first post sometime...:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,559 ✭✭✭Tipsy Mac

jerrehpips wrote: »
    And where abouts in newry is the best/cheapest place to find crates of cans of beer or bulmers/magners?

Kildare is quite large, could literally be anywhere. Go to www.aaroadwatch.ie and check out the routeplanner. I'd imagine 1.5 hours even if you drive like a nun should get you there. Sainsburys in Newry is probably your best bet.

• Advertisement

yeah maybe im a bit too broad there, from newbridge. Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 482 ✭✭Sharp

Up in Newry today.

Didn't think much of TKMax. Compared to the ones down here.

Told Argos stopped doing deliveries to the south (in the argos beside Dunnes) over the border, they stopped last Tue. But she also told me they don't take orders over the phone, which was mentioned on here before but their is another Argos in the Quay's.

Debenhams having a 4 day 25% off sale(started today) got some nice Jeff banks shirts, asked if i wanted to become a card member for another 10% off, but had not got drivers license,id with me.

Saninburys very busy , a few empty shelves.

We arrived at 1030 and their was a 5 min crawl down the hill.

Warnings of blasting past the first roundabout ,would cause delays between 12 and 4 ,but we avoided.

The Outlet in banbridge, doing the final sell off of sale items.

The Great Outdoors/Regatta doing good discounts on jackets.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 SteoTheGreat

Some great deals in this Quicksilver in Belfast. Got some hoddies for half what you would pay in Dublin!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,380 ✭✭✭sitstill

So do we think last night's events in the North will affect the amount of north-of-the-border shopping trips that take place? I hope not.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

It may affect the fair weather shoppers. It won't stop the hardcore shoppers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭gurramok

Won't stop me as this is not going back to the dark days.
    It was an attack by a minority of a minority who are even not supported by the Republican community hence i see it as an isolated act of a tiny group of fanatics.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,824 ✭✭✭✭muffler

I can see this thread being derailed if the subject continues to be debated.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,774 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Take it to Politics gurramok.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,307 ✭✭✭✭alastair

I won't be taking the Saracen up to Sprucefield next time. Otherwise, no.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,192 ✭✭✭TarfHead

Next weekend, I may have time to call into Sainsburys (Sprucefield).

Excluding booze, and baby stuff, are there items to get that are always/usually better value than in Dublin ?

For example, toiletries (e.g. shampoo, deodorant, shaving kit), washing machine/dishwasher consumables ?

I don't do the household shop at home, so have no sense for what Dublin prices are for equivalents.

Thanks

• Advertisement

Tea and coffee are half the price.
    Washing powder, washing up liquid, toiletries are way cheaper.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭the groutch

xchange rate has gone to 91.24p today, which will make it very close to 90p on the credit card rates

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭Racket

xchange rate has gone to 91.24p today, which will make it very close to 90p on the credit card rates

91.7 now, looks like my decision to leave the shopping from Friday til today has paid off :D

TarfHead wrote: »
    Next weekend, I may have time to call into Sainsburys (Sprucefield).

Excluding booze, and baby stuff, are there items to get that are always/usually better value than in Dublin ?

For example, toiletries (e.g. shampoo, deodorant, shaving kit), washing machine/dishwasher consumables ?

I don't do the household shop at home, so have no sense for what Dublin prices are for equivalents.

Thanks

Shampoo – Head & Shoulders 400ml
    Tesco(IRL) – €5.99
    Asda - £3.58
    Sainsburys – £3.61 (2 for £5 offer)

Persil Small & Mighty Bio(IRL) 1.47L
    Tesco - €10.49
    Asda - £4
    Sainsburys - £6.84

McCain Homefries Straight(IRL) 2.25KG
    Tesco - €5.95
    Asda - £2.52
    Sainsburys - £2

McCain Home Roasts(IRL) 907g
    Tesco - €3.35
    Asda - £1.47
    Sainsburys - £2.01

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,432 ✭✭✭mcwhirter

gurramok wrote: »
    Shampoo – Head & Shoulders 400ml
    Tesco(IRL) – €5.99
    Asda - £3.58
    Sainsburys – £3.61 (2 for £5 offer)

Persil Small & Mighty Bio(IRL) 1.47L
    Tesco - €10.49
    Asda - £4
    Sainsburys - £6.84

McCain Homefries Straight(IRL) 2.25KG
    Tesco - €5.95
    Asda - £2.52
    Sainsburys - £2

McCain Home Roasts(IRL) 907g
    Tesco - €3.35
    Asda - £1.47
    Sainsburys - £2.01

Please no more it is too depressing!!!!!
    None of those republic prices are anywhere near even at the old exchange rate, its a scandal.

Hehe yeah ;)

I took those prices from the online websites of those 3 stores about 2 weeks ago, they are nearly always constant and accurate in store with special offers now and then bar Tesco who have a habit of putting them up here.

Best way is to look at their websites(all accessible, Tesco needs reg) and to bring your receipts from IRL stores with you in your pocket and compare when you walk around Asda/Sainsbury's stores.

Also, despite my lack of love for Tesco down here, even Tesco is alot cheaper up there(but not cheaper than Asda)! I don't have online account to check Tesco UK but you can compare in both stores when shopping. Asda is torpedoing their trade in Enniskillen for example as Tesco cannot match them on price.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 144 ✭✭felinefeelins

Was up a couple of weeks ago to enniskillen and tesco wasn't too far off asda, in fact, they were cheaper ( by 1p) on bottled water. was only 12p for 2l.........Stocked up, their veg was better value too, though I have found that theres little difference between nth n sth, you have to know your prices. Heading back up Monday morn early, do you know if both are open 24*7, I normally land at 5am on a sat and have the both tesco n asda done by 8'ish, in time to get a little booze, but someone mentioned that both don't open till 8am mondays ?

They don't open until 8am on a Monday due to the Sunday trading laws in the north.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,439 ✭✭✭Richard

gurramok wrote: »
    Hehe yeah ;)

I took those prices from the online websites of those 3 stores about 2 weeks ago, they are nearly always constant and accurate in store with special offers now and then bar Tesco who have a habit of putting them up here.

Best way is to look at their websites(all accessible, Tesco needs reg)

Look at www.tesco.com/pricecheck and you can get results without reg.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4 shoppingexplore

dfcelt wrote: »
    Moheenly, From Kildare originally but now live in Dundalk, theres a Dunnes Stores not far from the Sainsburys in Newry. My advice would be to leave early, real early. Wife goes on a Friday morning before 11am & its just about bearable, on her return (about 12) the traffic is backed up on hill down to Newry & on dual carriageway its back to almost the Carrickdale turn off (about 5 miles or so). Saturdays are a nightmare & Sundays a complete disaster as opening is at 12.
    Banbridge/Lisburn or Armagh might be worth considering. The extra driving time is offset by easier parking, less hassle in the aisles & fully stocked shelves.

Hi opening hours in Northern Ireland on a Sunday are 1pm to 6pm only. Its a legal constraint and not allowed to open on Easter Sunday either I think!

Advertisement