Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Shopping in Northern Ireland

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 42 2010House

Was up in Newry yesterday, oh my god, we shopped for the day between Sainsburys, B&Q and Smyths Toy Shop. Fantastic bargains on food and grocery shopping, we're stocked up on that for at least 3 months. Didint get to go looking for domestic appliances as time was limited for us so I'm looking to head up again in the next month anywhere over the border. The only thing is, is the headache that is the Red Cow, its the most stressful part of the journey. Can anyone suggest going from Kilkenny via Tullamore direction up north to any town that I could shop for domestic appliances. I don't mind the idea of cross country, even if its a little longer. People are talking about Enniskillen? Any suggestions?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 732 ✭✭✭Famous45

If you intend to go to Newry again, I'd advise heading on further to Sprucefield in Lisburn which is only 30 min on. Sainsburys there is far bigger, and maintained a whole lot better than Newry, I too shopped in Newry for the last month until people on here recommened Lisburn, cant recommend highly enough bout heading to there, they have b&q, m&s, mfi, currys, toys r us and others there too, also on the way, 10 minutes outside of Newry is The Outlet which has I think over 70 stores, so bypass Newry next time is my advice.

You can come off that M50 motorway at the Red Cow and head down by the Phoenix Park and onwards to the M50 again at the airport for a couple of minutes and then onto the M1 towards Newry.

Sitting in the traffic on the M50 sometimes could be an hour even longer, but if you were to take the phoenix park route you'd be at the airport area in about 20 minutes max. Otherwise if it allows travel up at night time and stay over somewhere, possibly the carrickdale.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,046 ✭✭✭afatbollix

was in belfast last week and on the way down i stopped into B&Q in nerwry... noticed that the prices were teh same as down south... even 1 item had a better price down south... but when i got to the till and everything was scanned she said o we dont take irish lazer... i asked where the nearest ATM was ... but to be honest i said screw that and went home...

there was some bargins in halfords... the heater is not the best in teh car at the mo so got a load of de icer stuff for less that 2.50...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20 hammer1

I’ve used recessionbustours.ie on friday to go to Newry and it’s brilliant i’ve saved a fortune. It was so handy getting all da shopping delivered. Makes me realise how much we’re getting ripped off down here you know? I bought 10 bottles of wine and saved €10 on each. I bought a bottle of bombay saphire and saved €15 staight away.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭gurramok

I spent 20quid going to Ennisk on petrol return. Made that cost back on 2 1L bottles of Baileys which were going for a tenner in Tesco.
    Add in the heap of other grocery & alcohol stuff i got, i saved about 50quid on the monthly shop and this time i didn't get much like at xmas.

Word of advice though, we know Asda is cheapest and packed(not as bad as Sainsburys, Newry) but Tesco sometimes do a few special offers, nowhere near as many as Asda but worth a 2nd choice visit after you've shopped in Asda to see what can be obtained.(Baileys was dearer in Asda for example but rest of alcohol was mostly cheaper in Asda)
    Tesco which i'm no fan of due to their rip-off culture down here was empty in comparison to Asda and so was Dunnes. Lidl do be cheaper too but watch the prices, they all not cheaper there than Dublin(Veg is dearer but most of other stuff is cheaper), still worth a visit, no queues there either!

• Registered Users Posts: 543 ✭✭✭ninty

At B&Q Newry today,just off the next roundabout after Newry one,Selling 6ft upside down christmas trees complete with 80 lights and ornaments,also selling 40 christmas cards,wreaths etc all for 1P each.Said they would be putting out more stock tomorrow.if you happen to be there at the right time fantastic bargain.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 voproductions

Sainsburys had a Dyson DC14 for £210 on sale in Arnotts for €454 during january.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 jaykai

hammer1 wrote: »
    I’ve used recessionbustours.ie on friday to go to Newry and it’s brilliant i’ve saved a fortune. It was so handy getting all da shopping delivered. Makes me realise how much we’re getting ripped off down here you know? I bought 10 bottles of wine and saved €10 on each. I bought a bottle of bombay saphire and saved €15 staight away.

the fella behind recession bus tours was on Matt coopers Today Fm last week. fair play to the guy - he was laid off , made unemployed and all that. just started up with a bus to do the route and it took off. awesome stuff.

What'd ye think of them,me and my friends were thinkin of headin up with them but wanted to hear from someone whos used dem before?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20 hammer1

yeah i saw an ad in the herald the other day and booked them for last friday.it took just over in an hour(bus lanes-great when you can use them) to get there, went to sainsburys to stock up on booze and food for a few weeks. Couldnt get over the savings on everything-but passed by the home brand rum for £5-saw 2 young kackeresque lads even turnig it doen, like paint stripper they said.
    dropped off me bags at the courier van &went for breakie for half price(we were gave vouchers for different joints, half price etc on the bus when i got on),went up into the buttercrane and got a few dvds and cds. went on further into newry town centre- didn't realise how big it was-got a few tops! got a coffee(discounted) in obriens and back to the bus 4 1. got home at quarter past 2, all me shopping got home at 5ish, jobs a good'un
    realy easy and friendly, for 30quid ye cant really go wrong-defo recommend it-headin up again next week or so. i hear its really good for nappies and baby food and stuff especailly-they were advetising that they were startin a sligo run in march sometime-for all the ones down that country.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,288 ✭✭✭✭ntlbell

jaykai wrote: »
    the fella behind recession bus tours was on Matt coopers Today Fm last week. fair play to the guy - he was laid off , made unemployed and all that. just started up with a bus to do the route and it took off. awesome stuff.

What'd ye think of them,me and my friends were thinkin of headin up with them but wanted to hear from someone whos used dem before?

it's a bus have you used one before like?

lol

what do you want a review on the seats?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 jaykai

Yeah what were the seats like? were they like the ones ye see at football matches in the premiership now? any coctails or anything? any other additional info-send it on, cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 2,144 ✭✭✭samo

Does anyone know where in Newry the Argos at Merchants Quay is?

Heading up tomorrow and have something reserved that is only in stock at Merchants Quay and hadnt realised there are in fact 2 there....my knowledge of Newry is limited to the Quays and Buttercrane :o

So appreciate it if any boardsies can point me in the right direction to find it as short on time tomorrow

• Registered Users Posts: 9,932 ✭✭✭dodzy

samo wrote: »
    Does anyone know where in Newry the Argos at Merchants Quay is?

Heading up tomorrow and have something reserved that is only in stock at Merchants Quay and hadnt realised there are in fact 2 there....my knowledge of Newry is limited to the Quays and Buttercrane :o

So appreciate it if any boardsies can point me in the right direction to find it as short on time tomorrow

Drive past the buttercrane. ( Quays car park on your right ). Take next left. You will pass the side entrance of the Buttercrane on your left and the river will be running along your right side. ( This is Merchant's Quay ). Take the 2nd left after the buttercrane then first right. Its tucked. in there along with TX Maxx, Dunnes and some other household store.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,144 ✭✭✭samo

Much appreciated cheers...wasnt familiar with the streetnames so map on the argos.co.uk site wasnt saying much to me.

cheers!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,945 ✭✭✭kravmaga

Went up to ASDA near Boucher Crescent Retail Park in Belfast BT12 6HU on yesterday.

Loads of bargains to be had.

The only issue was on the way back to Dublin the A1 NEWRY BYPASS had a back up of traffic, bit of a nightmare.

They are up-grading the existing road with rock blasting every Wednesday so take heed.

Does anyone know when they are due to complete the job on the A1.

Thank you

• Registered Users Posts: 22,035 ✭✭✭✭Esel

Famous45 wrote: »
    You can come off that M50 motorway at the Red Cow and head down by the Phoenix Park and onwards to the M50 again at the airport for a couple of minutes and then onto the M1 towards Newry.

Sitting in the traffic on the M50 sometimes could be an hour even longer, but if you were to take the phoenix park route you'd be at the airport area in about 20 minutes max.
    20 minutes (even outside rush times) would be almost impossible! During rush times, you'd want to allow at least 45 minutes for this route.
    ..... went on further into newry town centre- didn't realise how big it was...
    That's because Newry is a city! Was designated as such a few years ago.
    jaykai wrote: »
    Yeah what were the seats like? were they like the ones ye see at football matches in the premiership now? any coctails or anything? any other additional info-send it on, cheers
    Great post! :rolleyes: Keep up that standard and you'll make a load of friends here.

Not your ornery onager

20 minutes (even outside rush times) would be almost impossible!

I travel that route twice a week for the past 2 years. The time I stated above is the max time it takes. Next time you want to try and undermine someone get your facts straight. Ok

• Registered Users Posts: 1,896 ✭✭✭granturismo

2010House wrote: »
    The only thing is, is the headache that is the Red Cow, its the most stressful part of the journey.

Kilkenny - Naas - Sallins - Maynooth - Dunboyne - Blanchardstown bypass - M1. Even if you hit school traffic its still quicker than the Red Cow.

I travel that route twice a week for the past 2 years. The time I stated above is the max time it takes. Next time you want to try and undermine someone get your facts straight. Ok
    If you are travelling from the Red Cow to the airport in 20 minutes during rush time, I take my hat off to you.

Not your ornery onager

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,133 ✭✭✭Moanin

esel wrote: »
    If you are travelling from the Red Cow to the airport in 20 minutes during rush time, I take my hat off to you.

+1

• Registered Users Posts: 20,934 ✭✭✭✭Stark

+2

Although with the M50 being 3 lanes from the Red Cow to the Finglas exit, I think 20 mins is actually quite feasible if you stay on the M50 and there are no crashes or breakdowns or whatever that day.

Don't see how Famous45 is managing 20 mins travelling through town though. Why you could get stuck for 20 mins at a single choke point along the routes I'm thinking of. Famous45, what streets are you using?

⛥ ̸̱̼̞͛̀̓̈́͘#C̶̼̭͕̎̿͝R̶̦̮̜̃̓͌O̶̬͙̓͝W̸̜̥͈̐̾͐Ṋ̵̲͔̫̽̎̚͠ͅT̸͓͒͐H̵͔͠È̶̖̳̘͍͓̂W̴̢̋̈͒͛̋I̶͕͑͠T̵̻͈̜͂̇Č̵̤̟̑̾̂̽H̸̰̺̏̓ ̴̜̗̝̱̹͛́̊̒͝⛥

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39 Squidgie

yeah i saw an ad in the herald the other day and booked them for last friday.it took just over in an hour(bus lanes-great when you can use them) to get there, went to sainsburys to stock up on booze and food for a few weeks. Couldnt get over the savings on everything-but passed by the home brand rum for £5-saw 2 young kackeresque lads even turnig it doen, like paint stripper they said.
    dropped off me bags at the courier van &went for breakie for half price(we were gave vouchers for different joints, half price etc on the bus when i got on),went up into the buttercrane and got a few dvds and cds. went on further into newry town centre- didn't realise how big it was-got a few tops! got a coffee(discounted) in obriens and back to the bus 4 1. got home at quarter past 2, all me shopping got home at 5ish, jobs a good'un
    realy easy and friendly, for 30quid ye cant really go wrong-defo recommend it-headin up again next week or so. i hear its really good for nappies and baby food and stuff especailly-they were advetising that they were startin a sligo run in march sometime-for all the ones down that country.

Went on the recession bus tours yesterday myself hammer, 1st class!!! too easy.......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 677 ✭✭✭darc

M50 is barrier free, so even in rush hour it takes about 15 min from red cow to airport unless there's an accident.

Red cow via phoenix park back to M50 - if all the lights are in you favour and no other traffic problems, 20 minutes minimum. I'd say 1 hour + in rush hour & 30 - 40 minutes regular times.

blackspots - Kylemore road / naas road, Ballyfermot roundabout, chapelizod Village, - all mayhem in rushhour.
    Navan road to finglas. - If rail gates are down, wait 5 - 10 mins. N2 - Can be hell at rush hour and then back road to airport also can have its problems.

Simple - use the M50 unless there's an accident.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 GOODVALUE100

hello Gally what happens at the n17 food club? thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,559 ✭✭✭Tipsy Mac

<SNIP>

Where's the N3 in Northern Ireland?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

A509 surely?

Kylemore road / naas road, Ballyfermot roundabout, chapelizod Village

You don't touch any of those routes, and, I never said to the airport, I said back onto the M50, past the traffic but as already stated there isnt as much backlog with the eflow with traffic unless there's an accident but I always use the same route as it saves € and it has rarely, if ever, taken me over 20 minutes, if you don't know the route then you don't know your city very well.

SO + 3 to all of the above.

You don't touch any of those routes, and, I never said to the airport, I said back onto the M50
    No, you said
    ..if you were to take the phoenix park route you'd be at the airport area in about 20 minutes max...
    I always use the same route as it saves € and it has rarely, if ever, taken me over 20 minutes, if you don't know the route then you don't know your city very well.
    I notice you are reluctant to share this brilliant route.....

Not your ornery onager

• Advertisement

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Famous45 viewpost.gif
    You don't touch any of those routes, and, I never said to the airport, I said back onto the M50

No, you said Quote:
    ..if you were to take the phoenix park route you'd be at the airport area in about 20 minutes max...
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Famous45 viewpost.gif
    I always use the same route as it saves € and it has rarely, if ever, taken me over 20 minutes, if you don't know the route then you don't know your city very well.

I notice you are reluctant to share this brilliant route.....

Airport vicinty. That's a big enough radius don't you think. I didn't say outside the departures gate.

Your little rant has nothing to do with the thread so I'll refrain from commenting on your rant any longer. I have never bullsh*tted in any post on this forum so I'm hardly going to begin now. I have a route that I use for the past 2 years as I previously said that bypasses the M50 route in 20 minutes. If that's so hard for you to believe, then please, rant elsewhere. :P

Advertisement